PDA

View Full Version : Effect targets ?

phantomwhale
March 24th, 2014, 10:54
Hi all,

Getting up to speed on the CoreRPG / C&C combat tracker and targetting has been a bit of a task - bit worried about the cost of entry on these tools, and hope we can get more documentation on the new wiki, as once they are working they seem really powerful.

My current block is on figuring out how to use effects ? I have an effect called "Bless; ATK 1" which if applied to a single hero gives them +1 to hit until expiry. How should I be applying it to ALL the heroes ? I've tried using the effect targetting, dragging and dropping the small "target" icon next to the effect in the combat tracker onto all the other heroes, but as soon as I do this, the bonuses stop auto-applying to rolls.

Should I be dragging the "Bless" effect to each and every player instead ? This loses track of who cast it (but not sure that matters, as spell effect duration's seem to tick at the end of the round, rather than on the casters turn).

Equally, if a someone curses a bunch of other tokens, should a curse effect be directly added to the targets, and nothing put onto the caster ?

And finally, if all of the above is correct, when (if ever) do you use the effect targetting, which so far seems to just prevent the effect for doing anything to any roll ?

Cheers,
Ben (-PW-)

Nickademus
March 24th, 2014, 15:32
My current block is on figuring out how to use effects ? I have an effect called "Bless; ATK 1" which if applied to a single hero gives them +1 to hit until expiry.

Effect types, such as ATK, require a colon ( : ) after and before the modifier. Without the colon FG won't look at the effect. Might just be a forum typo, but the effect should be 'Bless; ATK: 1'.

How should I be applying it to ALL the heroes ? I've tried using the effect targetting, dragging and dropping the small "target" icon next to the effect in the combat tracker onto all the other heroes, but as soon as I do this, the bonuses stop auto-applying to rolls.

In theory, clicking the flag button in the upper left corner of the map will target all of the friendly tokens. Then you just click the effect button to apply it to all targets. This is as a player. As a GM, I'm not sure what the target icon in the combat tracker does or how it interacts with tokens but I'm sure you could do the same as a player.

Should I be dragging the "Bless" effect to each and every player instead ? This loses track of who cast it (but not sure that matters, as spell effect duration's seem to tick at the end of the round, rather than on the casters turn).

Equally, if a someone curses a bunch of other tokens, should a curse effect be directly added to the targets, and nothing put onto the caster ?

If you are clicking the effect button in the spell on the PC/NPC to apply the effect, FG should put a note in the combat tracker stating who the effect is from. You will need to expand the effect list on a character to see it though. It will say in gray "Applied by: <source>".

And finally, if all of the above is correct, when (if ever) do you use the effect targetting, which so far seems to just prevent the effect for doing anything to any roll ?

No clue myself.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2014, 16:38
MOD: Moved to the Castles & Crusades thread as this is specific to the C&C implementation of effects - hope you don't mind Ben?

The effects implementation in C&C is not as feature rich as it is in the 3.5e ruleset:

There are no effects entries in spells - there is just the "communal" effect list accessed from the effects button in the top right of the desktop.
There is no effect targeting (i.e. target one or more tokens and click the effect button to apply the effect to all targets) - clicking the effect button in the effect entry will only apply it to the active PC identity (if a player) or the active entry in the combat tracker (if the GM).
If you want to apply the effect to multiple targets you have to drap/drop the effect from the effects list to each of the tokens/combat tracker entries one at a time. The GM can also drag/drop currently applied effects by opening the effect list in the combat tracker and dragging the effect from the entry in the CT.
There is no "applied by" label.

dr_venture
March 24th, 2014, 18:01
There is no "applied by" label.

There is an "Applied By" label - it automatically contains the name of whoever is the active combatant in the CT when the effect is applied. It is cleared by clicking on it, and can be set by dragging a combatant's name onto the Effect's name.

The key is that, as I understand it, it is only a label for whatever informational value it's worth, and has no inherent functionality in the ruleset. The thing that "iterates" the effect is the Initiative value of the active combatant when the effect was applied... this appears in the brown text box on the top line of the effect. Using the initiative value theoretically ensures that the effect is applied at the same point in each round, regardless of the order in which the combatants act. Back in the previous "new" version of the C&C ruleset, when it was being developed by Sorcerer and I was testing for him, he and I had a pretty detailed discussion about the merits of the various ways of determining when effects should "iterate" - does stunned for 1 round mean just the next round for the combatant it applies to (even if that combatant was the last to act in the current round, and is the first to act in the next round), or the entire round for everyone? Sorcerer suggested the idea of basing Effect iteration on Initiative values, and we both agreed that it seemed to be about the most fair solution we could come up with... even though it has it's own issues of fairness.

I haven't tested this, but any action that the Effect causes should occur on the Initiative value set in the effect, and not necessarily on the turn of either the person who applied it, nor the person it's applied to. So for instance, if a character was injured by an orc with an initiative of 5, and begins taking 1 bleeding damage ("Bleeding; DMG: 1", I think), then that character will take 1 point of damage every round when the CT internally counts to Initiative 5, regardless of that character's current rolled Initiative. This also required the CT to invisibly start counting Initiatives no lower than the highest rolled initiative *or* applied effect Initiative setting. Again, haven't tested this either.

FWIW, I'd love to see an optional setting to tell the effect to update on the combatant's turn, or at the end of the turn - some people would prefer to play this way, I think, and I have a specific circumstance where I'd like to apply it.

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2014, 18:06
Technically, there is an applied by label, inherited from 3.5E. However, since effects are not applied from PC/NPC sheets, it never gets set automatically. You can drag a CT entry name onto an effect entry to set the "Applied By" data.

Also, the "effect targets" are for keying the effect to only work against specific targets. For example, if our ranger, Pete, is fighting a worg and a goblin, and he gains +1 attack vs. goblins; you can add a "ATK: 1" effect to Pete and drag the effect target onto the goblin CT entry. Then, the +1 attack effect will only apply to attack rolls against the goblin, and not against the worg.

Regards,
JPG

Andraax
March 24th, 2014, 20:27
I was just playing around with targeted effects. If you target an effect, the ATK: modifier works, but the DMG: modifier does not. (Incidentally, the bonus for a Ranger's Combat Marauder ability is +1 to damage, not +1 to attack.) Attached are two screen shots - one shows the effect without targets and they both apply to the attack and damage rolls. The second shows that when the effects are targeted, the attack roll is still modified, but the damage roll is not.

6319 6320

Edit: I just noticed that attack roll *says* it's modified, but it doesn't actually apply the modifier...

Moon Wizard
March 25th, 2014, 18:42
I found the issue. It will be in the next beta release (v3.0.4).

Cheers,
JPG