PDA

View Full Version : What's the easiest way to implement a horizontal scrollbar?

cscase
March 23rd, 2014, 21:03
I see that there's a built in construction (scrollbarcontrol) for a vertical scrollbar, but what would be the best way to implement a horizontal one? Is there any built-in way to do this?

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2014, 06:04
The current scrollbarcontrol is purely a vertical scroll bar. Building a horizontal scrollbar would be quite challenging. While I could probably dredge up the old code for building a scrollbar from scratch, there's another issue at work which kept me from implementing horizontal at the same time. Not all of the FG controls support providing horizontal size and viewport information, like they do for vertical size and viewport. This is legacy to FG before my time, so I decided not to open up that box; since horizontal scroll bars are not used often.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
March 24th, 2014, 09:17
From an user and ergonomic point of view, horizontal scrolling is the Devil incarnate.

Apart from very very narrow specific uses (like a timeline, but even these like that could be turned into vertical scrolling) it's usually a nightmare to use.

cscase
March 24th, 2014, 14:51
Cool - I can definitely do without one. I just thought it might be a nice option for users who are cramped for screen space. That way they could size the window to a relatively narrow width and scroll right to left to look only at the columns they are presently concerned with. But with most folks running 1920 desktops these days and many with multiple monitors, it's probably not a big deal to just require the window be wide enough to show all of the contents. This would probably make more sense if you could see what I'm working on, but I'm not at home and can't take a screenshot.

Anyway, thanks for the info and advice, guys!