PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG Party Sheet

Blacky
March 17th, 2014, 21:26
The current CoreRPG Party Sheet has a full inventory tab, which presents to everyone who has what (including that secret mission order, or that shiny someone has secretly lifted) which is an issue on a lot of games/tables.

On the other hand, it doesn't have party technical summary, it doesn't have party tests, and it doesn't have watch order/formation.

Wouldn't it make sens to reintroduce into the CoreRPG those tabs for the GM and the formation for all? I mean, in most (close to all) rpg the GM might need a tool to have a full view of its table in one window, or needs secret party rolls (things like group Perception, group resistance to Disease, group Empathy, whatever). And watch order/formation is a pretty common tool for any rpg/table using a grid map combat system (and if not, it's certainly easier to ignore the tab than reading the traditionally uncommented non-documented D&D ruleset to include it in ruleset or extension).

Even an extremist narrativist jyhadist rpg that would shoot itself in the head before looking at a grid would benefit from part of it (having the GM look at on window and have all relevant information presented to him about the party).

And, on the other hand, presenting the whole inventory to every player can cause problems (first to any role-players on most games, as opposed to roll-players). Make it GM only, or having an toggle in the options about it?

Trenloe
March 17th, 2014, 22:08
The current CoreRPG Party Sheet has a full inventory tab, which presents to everyone who has what (including that secret mission order, or that shiny someone has secretly lifted) which is an issue on a lot of games/tables.
Don't display it to the PCs then - leave the option "Party: Show inventory to clients" = Off (default).

On the other hand, it doesn't have party technical summary, it doesn't have party tests,
The problem here is that the CoreRPG character sheet just has a free form list of attributes/Skills/Modifiers - these would be very hard to fit into a specific space with specific labeling as per the other non-CoreRPG rulesets. I suppose it could be done via a "check the 10 abilities you want on the party sheet" type of functionality and the first few characters of each ability listed as a heading to keep within a predetermined space format.

and it doesn't have watch order/formation.
Yes it does - it's the "Order" tab.

And, on the other hand, presenting the whole inventory to every player can cause problems (first to any role-players on most games, as opposed to roll-players). Make it GM only, or having an toggle in the options about it?
It does have an option to hide the whole inventory from the players (as I mentioned above).

Which version of CoreRPG are you running?

Blacky
March 17th, 2014, 22:21
Don't display it to the PCs then - leave the option "Party: Show inventory to clients" = Off (default).
I missed that one and the Formation tab (I really need more sleep), mea culpa and thanks for the tip!

The problem here is that the CoreRPG character sheet just has a free form list of attributes/Skills/Modifiers - these would be very hard to fit into a specific space with specific labeling as per the other non-CoreRPG rulesets. I suppose it could be done via a "check the 10 abilities you want on the party sheet" type of functionality and the first few characters of each ability listed as a heading to keep within a predetermined space format.
Realistically, very few people are using the vanilla CoreRPG ruleset by itself. 99% of the interest of Fantasy Grounds is tailored ruleset. Meaning, I think having the code in it ready for use is more important than the tool itself.

As for vanilla CoreRPG, a simple option would be some kind of pop-up. Put 2 or 3 of the top ranked skills on it, some kind of + or “more” icon near to it that will display all of them for a PC or all PC.

Trenloe
March 17th, 2014, 22:27
As an example of what I was "thinking out load" - the 3.5e ruleset has the "Show on Mini" checkbox to the left of skills - something similar to this could be used for the CoreRPG abilities to display them in a Party Sheet summary/ability tab.