PDA

View Full Version : 3.0.3

Chidgey
March 17th, 2014, 01:32
Is anyone else experiencing memory problems since the 3.0.3 release?

The simplest set of steps I could get to reproduce the problem is in the 4e rule set. If I open a large list of items, for example powers or feats from a module or npcs from the campaign; I see a increase in the programs memory footprint. However, if I close the window and then reopen it, I see another increase in memory. This continues until the memory allocation hits 4GB (the windows limit) then the program becomes unusable generating a bad allocation error on any button press.

Nickademus
March 17th, 2014, 02:08
Is anyone else experiencing memory problems since the 3.0.3 release?

I thought I might be, but I don't remember.

Moon Wizard
March 17th, 2014, 03:55
Can you give me more info, like which ruleset, lists, etc.?

Opening new lists will always usually add memory usage, depending on the list code. If the code accesses database node Lua objects, they have to be created.

If the memory increase is from the same list being opened, then definitely something to look at.

From a dev perspective, I can't think of anything off the top if my head changed since v3.0.0 that would cause any additional usage. But, I would need to investigate to be sure.

Thanks,
JPG

Chidgey
March 17th, 2014, 09:41
I'm using the 4e ruleset and I'm running as the server. Memory continues to grow if you continually open and reopen the same list.

Obviously you get more of a problem by using a big list from a module and that is what leads to the crash but the problem can be reproduced and observed with a much smaller leak with no modules by just adding a few items to the npc or item lists and then repeatedly clicking the Item or Npc button to open and close the list.

The problem may have existed before 3.0.3 but I've personally only had the program become unresponsive with the bad allocation error since 3.0.3 and I've had the program fall over three times since then with no changes to my usage of the program.