PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new player

sir fuzzbotham
March 16th, 2014, 21:57
Greetings,

I am new here. I haven't played a PnP game in years but I have been craving the experience recently. I would like to play D&D 3.5 but would be open to new experiences. I have been playing games such as Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, etc... for well over a decade now, but I want to get more into the personal, table-top mode now.

I would love any suggestions, advice, or friendly conversation concerning how to begin and play. I do not have a license as of yet, but if I enjoy my experiences here I am sure I will upgrade soon enough.

I am USA, CST and can play weekends and evenings as of now. My schedule will be changing soon (new job!) and I will have more set times soon.

Again, hello to all and I am super excited to play! Take care!

Sir Fuzz.

JohnD
March 16th, 2014, 22:19
Hey fuzz... came here from Neverwinter Nights myself. FG is great and the community even better. Best of luck finding a game!

Andrepartthree
March 18th, 2014, 21:13
If you can stay awake through my incredibly long sleep-inducing post :P ... it's basically stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to the FG community ;) .. welcome aboard ! ;)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19579-Advice-for-new-FG-players

(Just out of curiosity did you ever play dragon age or dragon age 2 ? A bit different from "classical D&D" I know but freaking love those games, to me they're a big inspiration as far as trying to ... slowly but surely... piece together a campaign that concentrates on the "role playing/getting into character" part of RPG's... love the Mass Effect PC games too for similar reasons...)

sir fuzzbotham
March 22nd, 2014, 00:10
Hey Andrepartthree. I have never played Dragon Age 1 or 2 and thus am woefully ignorant about how they work and what they offer. I have read through your "incredibly long" and NOT sleep-inducing post and I thank you. It have helped considerably and it offers wonderful advice. I am sure I will find a game with some patience and persistence. Thanks again!

Sir Fuzz

JohnD
March 22nd, 2014, 00:30
Hey sir f. If you expand your horizons a little, consider the Castles and Crusades games I have going. One is tonight and the other one will be on a week night. Time zone is compatible, I am also in Central. Anyways drop me a message if you are interested.

Andrepartthree
March 23rd, 2014, 20:01
Hey Andrepartthree. I have never played Dragon Age 1 or 2 and thus am woefully ignorant about how they work and what they offer. I have read through your "incredibly long" and NOT sleep-inducing post and I thank you. It have helped considerably and it offers wonderful advice. I am sure I will find a game with some patience and persistence. Thanks again!

Sir Fuzz

Aww thanks (blushes)... if you have the time give dragon age 1 or 2 a try ... (slaps head).. I should say give "dragon age origins" or " dragon age 2 " a try instead got the name wrong or " mass effect " (last I checked you can get mass effect 2 for $8 free shipping on ebay :) ) , all by the same company (bioware), all phenomenal PC games , lot of them have won several awards :) ...

Also while it is true there are some RPG systems you'll love and some you'll hate (I'm sorry I just can't get into 4th edition D&D, tried it, felt too video-game-ish to me ... though I know there are 4E fans on here who would crucify me just for saying that and no offense intended to them :P ) ... I've found that if you find a good group of players you can have fun with and a good GM the RPG system used itself becomes "secondary" , sort of takes a back seat... for example since I thoroughly enjoy the whole role playing/getting into character part of the game (I like combat too don't get me wrong but if there's not enough RP in the game I get unhappy :( ) if I saw a thread where the GM strongly encouraged that aspect of the game, and I found myself with a group of players who also enjoyed putting the time and effort into really "bringing their characters to life" during FG game sessions... I'd be totally okay with say some sort of science fiction or horror setting even if it's the total opposite of the traditional D&D setting ;) ... if you're already a fan of RPG's from the PC experience then the nuts and bolts of a game system would be pretty easy to pick up based on your PC experience alone ;) , just get a hold of a pdf or used paper/physical copy of the book or what not and start reading through it as the campaign progresses ;) ...

I guess what I'm trying to say in my usual roundabout way :P is that it's worth observing an FG game session (or flat out participating if the GM lets you jump in right away) you're free for anyways to see if it's something that would be fun for you :)