PDA

View Full Version : Reloading back up XML

clessman5000
March 16th, 2014, 19:37
On 2 different occasions now I have had to hard boot my laptop from a freeze up of FG and other programs. Normally this isn't a bad thing but in the process of doing a hard boot, I lose all character, story, NPC, and whatever else information I had in the campaign. I don't lose the campaign itself, but this information is apparently gone. In looking in the campaign folder, i have several database back up XML files since the start of the campaign. I also have a couple script files. When opening them up I see that all the information is indeed in these files but I have no way to reload them to show up in the program. I'm not very computer savvy and have tried looking for areas/folder for simple copy and paste restore, or some kind of restore/reboot option. Basically i just need a step by step guide, if possible, in restoring the content in my campaign. I have searched the forums a little bit and have only come up with more questions. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Trenloe
March 16th, 2014, 20:12
Before loading your campaign in FG, backup your current db.xml file (just in case, then rename the latest db.backup.XXXXXXXXX.xml file to db.xml. Load up your campaign in FG and you should have the last data from the backup - you may have lost some data, but not all of it.

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2014, 20:13
FG stores campaign information in a db.xml file in the campaign folder. (Accessible via FG data folder (via launch screen folder button), campaigns folder, name of campaign folder)

FG auto saves campaign information every 5 minutes, so you shouldn't lose any data in the campaign (unless possibly the freeze occurs during the actual campaign save operation).

Also, FG makes a copy of the campaign data each time a campaign is launched. If there is a crash, this data will be copied to a db.backup.*.xml file in your campaign directory. There's no tool to browse through campaign XML files, but you can backup db.xml to something else, and rename a backup file to db.xml to restore to the campaign state to the point it was at during the last launch (if it just crashed).

Regards,
JPG

FSHSchmo
July 19th, 2014, 23:20
So I was putting the data into my campaign and FG crashed. When I reloaded it said to rename my backup to db.xml so I did. Reloaded FG again and it said it noticed I crashed before, made a new backup and told me to rename it... reloaded and the same thing is happening over and over now. Any thoughts on how to fix this or did I loose two days worth of work?

***Fixed my issue! Turns out having a few large image files in my token directory was causing the crash.***

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2014, 23:31
We usually recommend tokens are in the 50x50 pixel size range (or possibly 100x100 pixel) for Medium creature tokens.
For two reasons: currently FG loads all tokens into memory at load time, and larger tokens increase network transfer time when synching with clients.

Regards,
JPG