PDA

View Full Version : Character Sheet questions

guttert
March 15th, 2014, 19:58
I searched for these questions, so I apologize if I missed their discussion elsewhere. Some might be defects or future enhancements, but I want to be sure I understand the functionality when I explain it to my players, who love to notice these sorts of things. :)

1. On the abilities tab, when I add something, such as Fearless, I can select the appropriate attribute (CHA for Fear saves). But I'm missing how to get the +2 automatically for the Fearless attribute. I'd love to roll the Fear Save right there on the Attributes page, too. I can use the dice roll Modifier (below the chat window).

2. On the Inventory tab, if I have armor and change it to Worn, I'm not seeing the armor bonus automatically added to my AC. I seem to have to manually add the +2 to the Armor Bonus on the Combat tab. Is this correct?

3. On the Combat tab, if I have a bow with 20 ammo, the ammo does not seem to automatically reduce when I use it in combat. I have to manually click to record the use of ammo. Is that correct?

4. In general, selecting race and class doesn't seem to auto add Abilities, Attribute modifiers, and Bonuses. Similarly, setting the level doesn't also set the experience points.

I'm still tooling around with the Spells tab, so I might have questions about it.

It looks like contributing to the FG wiki is limited to admins. I'd be happy to help with the C&C-specific documentation, as I'm learning about it.

Thanks in advance. Folks have been great answering questions.

guttert
March 15th, 2014, 20:04
4a. It seems that to get the Race/Class Modifiers, I have to modify the Score on the Main tab. For example, for my halfling, I have to change his STR from the 14 he rolled to 13 (for the -1 STR modifier) and his DEX from 12 to 13 (for the +1 DEX bonus). I don't see another field for other Attribute modifiers.

4b. It also appears that the Primary attributes are not indicated. I know that the responsibility is the GM to use the appropriate Target Number, but it would be nice to at least visually indicate Primary attributes.

guttert
March 15th, 2014, 21:58
After playing with spells, I'm finding that when I click the tick circle for a spell in the Spells tab (while in Combat mode), the spell is removed from the list and Cast increments. However, no text is sent to the chat window.

Also, it looks like there's no automated rolls for the spells, such as heals.

The mini spell sheet has problems, too. When I click on a tick box for a spell in the mini window, nothing happens, and an error message appears: Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_spells.lua"]:203: attempt to index field 'cost_spacer' (a nil value)

This might be some issue with the CoreRPG, which I know is being worked and improved. I might be missing some things as well.

Are there any FG tutorials/videos specific to C&C?

JohnD
March 15th, 2014, 23:08
1. You have to add it via the modifier box or I suppose you could make it an effect and apply as needed.

2. Working as intended.

3. See 2 above.

4. See 2 above.

4a. See 2 above.

4b. Click on the stat name (i.e. Strength) and roll a check - you'll see it inserts [Prime] or [Secondary] as applicable.

Spells - seems to be working as intended.

You need to remember that until quite recently, the C&C ruleset was positively archaic in comparison to 3.5e, PF and say RMC. A big step forward but still a ways to go in some aspects.

damned
March 16th, 2014, 01:57
1. On the abilities tab, when I add something, such as Fearless, I can select the appropriate attribute (CHA for Fear saves). But I'm missing how to get the +2 automatically for the Fearless attribute. I'd love to roll the Fear Save right there on the Attributes page, too. I can use the dice roll Modifier (below the chat window).

Click in the Attribute field to select the attribute the skill depends on...
Sempre Petre - lvl 4 dwarven cleric with Wisodom as a prime...
Rolls 11 + 4 (lvl) + 2 (wisdom bonus) and succeeds vs 12 (prime attribute)

2. On the Inventory tab, if I have armor and change it to Worn, I'm not seeing the armor bonus automatically added to my AC. I seem to have to manually add the +2 to the Armor Bonus on the Combat tab. Is this correct?
That is correct. There is no armour class automation at this time. This was in the orginal v3 beta ruleset but has not (yet) been implemented in the new v3 CoreRPG ruleset version.

3. On the Combat tab, if I have a bow with 20 ammo, the ammo does not seem to automatically reduce when I use it in combat. I have to manually click to record the use of ammo. Is that correct? That is correct. There is no ammo automation at this time.

4. In general, selecting race and class doesn't seem to auto add Abilities, Attribute modifiers, and Bonuses. Similarly, setting the level doesn't also set the experience points. That is correct. There is no That is correct. There is no racial/class automation at this time. This was in the orginal v3 beta ruleset but has not (yet) been implemented in the new v3 CoreRPG ruleset version.

I'm still tooling around with the Spells tab, so I might have questions about it.

It looks like contributing to the FG wiki is limited to admins. I'd be happy to help with the C&C-specific documentation, as I'm learning about it. It does state that in the GF Wiki posts - send moon_wizard a PM with the content you would like added. This may change over time but thats how they are starting it off.

Thanks in advance. Folks have been great answering questions.

guttert
March 16th, 2014, 02:17
Thanks, JohnD and Damned. I wanted to confirm these before I told my players something wrong.

I'm still trying to getting the hang of effects after reading the sticky, but I'll look at using effects for the abilities.

And thanks the history update. Those functions were in at one point and might be again. Still, this is a good ruleset, and I look forward to trying it out with my group.

damned
March 16th, 2014, 02:19
4a. It seems that to get the Race/Class Modifiers, I have to modify the Score on the Main tab. For example, for my halfling, I have to change his STR from the 14 he rolled to 13 (for the -1 STR modifier) and his DEX from 12 to 13 (for the +1 DEX bonus). I don't see another field for other Attribute modifiers.
Once you decide on your race you do have to manually adjust your sores. I dont think this will ever be automated. Maybe Im misunderstanding your post - my interpretation is that if you play a halfling you do actually reduce your strength by 1 and improve dex by 1 - permanently.

4b. It also appears that the Primary attributes are not indicated. I know that the responsibility is the GM to use the appropriate Target Number, but it would be nice to at least visually indicate Primary attributes.
Prime attributes are set by clicking on the attribute - they will change to Red for Prime (and optionally Blue for Seconday) and whatever the default colour is for normal attributes.
These do highlight in your siege checks (click the shield to roll).
Dice Roll + Level + Attribute Bonus (+2) vs Prime - Success
Dice Roll + Level + Attribute Bonus (+1) - Failure

damned
March 16th, 2014, 02:22
You need to remember that until quite recently, the C&C ruleset was positively archaic in comparison to 3.5e, PF and say RMC. A big step forward but still a ways to go in some aspects.

The Beta version had several of these things in it and was quite good - it was a complete fork though and sacrificing these features to go on to CoreRPG will enable C&C to stay close to the other major rulesets on major enhancements and even common extensions will work. Those that have been done before may be done again. Not everything on your query list was in there and some probably never will be.

damned
March 16th, 2014, 02:29
I'm still trying to getting the hang of effects after reading the sticky, but I'll look at using effects for the abilities.

I havent started looking at effects yet - but definitely want to and will try to clearly document them in one spot when I get there (unless someone beats me to it).

Also, it looks like there's no automated rolls for the spells, such as heals.

Another thing I want to work on - when time permits - is a module containing all offensive (and even healing) spells as Weapons. This means you could target your enemy and then click a Magic Missile DAMAGE (no need to roll for hit as it always hits) as the [Weapon] attack and it would describe the attack and inflict the damage. Again someone might (not dropping any hints really) beat me to it.

And the other one was the same thing for Traps - for the DM to use. Create a Pit Trap 20' (as a weapon) and have it deal damage etc.

These three things - Effects fully described (possibly even fleshed out in a module), Spells as weapons in a module and Traps as weapons in a module should all be easy(ish) to deliver - just need the time (problem...).

Trenloe
March 16th, 2014, 15:09
Spells as weapons in a module and Traps as weapons in a module should all be easy(ish) to deliver - just need the time (problem...).
I would suggest that whoever looks at doing these takes a look at the 3.5e implementation - spells and traps are not handled as weapons; spells are handled via cast/damage/heal entries in the spell itself and traps are handled as a variant of NPC (allowing the GM complete access, icon placement on the map and combat tracker via an encounter entry which results in targeting/damage etc. working fully).

damned
March 17th, 2014, 03:44
Doh!
Too many things running around my head just now - yes we talked about Traps being NPCs...

The spells thingy sounds like coding to me...

Trenloe
March 17th, 2014, 04:01
The spells thingy sounds like coding to me...
Nothing gets past you! ;)

phantomwhale
March 17th, 2014, 12:17
Regarding putting these things on a wishlist; moon_wizard does maintain a list of things people want in the CoreRPG ruleset that most rulesets will soon be built on top of, as well as in Fantasy Grounds in general.

However, if there is something that's really only relavant to Castles & Crusades, Dr. Venture started up a side list to track those: https://cncdev.idea.informer.com/

Might be better to track C&C stuff there, esp. as I hear rumours that someone might start picking off some of those items real soon.

Regards,
Ben (-PW-)

damned
March 17th, 2014, 12:43
man oh man... you guys give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

JohnD
March 19th, 2014, 15:42
Forgot to point out that when you have an ability that gives you a bonus to something (i.e. Fearless) you can hover your mouse pointer over the box with the basic modifier and roll the wheel and it will increase or decrease and you'll see the modifier in a small bubble. Probably not explaining it well and don't have access to a screenshot.

dberkompas
March 20th, 2014, 18:27
As I'm working through the Castles & Crusades plugin for Hero Lab, I'm at the same time working on a converter that takes Hero Lab output xml and creates an input xml for Fantasy Grounds.

The current part I'm working on is getting gear into the inventory.

I started with weapons and armor.

I know I can drag stuff from the players handbook onto the character sheet...

What I want to know is there's some way to drag an item (like a long sword) from the inventory tab, and have it appear in the combat tab.

I know that if you drag it from the players handbook, it does this. But my XML so far only populates inventory, there's a different section for combat inventory.

So, what happens is I'm populating inventory, but it's not appearing in the combat tab.

It's easy enough to code this, but just wondering if there's a way to drag something from the inventory and make it appear in the combat tab.

TL : DR
Can you drag an item from the inventory tab and have it appear in the combat tab?

BoomerET

Trenloe
March 20th, 2014, 19:14
TL : DR
Can you drag an item from the inventory tab and have it appear in the combat tab?
I don't think you can - at least I haven't found a way to do it through the user interface.

But, you want to do this programmatically, right?

Look in campaign\scripts\manager_char.lua (in the C&C ruleset) and you'll find a function called addtoWeaponDB(nodeitem) - this function can be called to add an item DB record to the <weaponlist> entry in the charsheet database.

This will give you an idea of the code and database structure used to create a <weaponlist> database entry based off the inventory item data.

EDIT: You might be able to write a right-click function in an extension that can be used to run addtoWeaponDB for a specific inventory item??

Or, put a flag in your original inventory list XML that indicates it is from an external source (import) and then have code in an extension that parses through the inventory items and creates the weaponlist entries with addtoWeaponDB - then remove the flag so that it only happens the first time the character sheet is opened.

dberkompas
March 20th, 2014, 20:00
Trenloe,

Thanks for all that info, wow.

I think the best way for me to handle this is just add the weaponlist to my existing code. Don't want players/GM's to have to depend on an extension.
(Unless of course, it makes it's way into the official package?)

BoomerET

damned
March 21st, 2014, 02:02
i also tried lots of things and couldnt get it to drag. drag it to inventory it auto adds. create it in inventory - no joy.