PDA

View Full Version : completely hiding GM rolls

chromos33
March 13th, 2014, 14:44
Hi,

Is there a way to completely hide the GM rolls.
currently when our GM rolls we see shadows of what he rolls (although the shown dice are not the correct ones).
we don't want that we want completely hidden GM rolls so the players don't see that the GM is rolling anything.
Before you go saying something just roll outside of the chatbox we still wont to retain the summing up of the rolls.

hope there is an answer.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2014, 15:07
I'm not aware of a way to hide the shadow dice when the GM rolls, without completely changing the code in the ruleset.

The dice shadows are there to simulate the face-to-face tabletop experience - when the GM rolls behind the GM screen the players know the GM is rolling... I know its not what you're asking for, but perhaps the GM could do what I sometimes do - just roll dice, even when I don't need to, then the players don't know if there is something going on or not.

Nickademus
March 13th, 2014, 15:30
You can't get rid of the shadows, but you can render them useless to the players.

As a GM, drag a number of d20s equal to the players into a hotbar slot. Drag a pair of d10s into another, a d6 into a third and single d20 or d10 depending on the ruleset into a fourth. Then during the game, at random times and when there might seem like something in there for the characters to interact with (but isn't), roll one or two of the hotbar slots. The players will quickly learn not to trust the appearance of shadow dice. It also helps to roll things ahead of time like the party's Perception-type checks prior to the party entering the encounter area.

Blacky
March 13th, 2014, 16:24
I'm not aware of a way to hide the shadow dice when the GM rolls, without completely changing the code in the ruleset.
If this a ruleset thing, couldn't an extension do the trick?

Trenloe
March 13th, 2014, 17:59
If this a ruleset thing, couldn't an extension do the trick?
The shadow is built in to the base Comm.throwDice function when the .secret flag is set: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Comm.xcp There is no way to disable it without this API being changed in the base FG executable.

An extension could be made to allow some GM rolls to use math.random instead of the 3D rolling mechanism - but then the GM would not see dice rolling.

Nickademus
March 13th, 2014, 18:09
/die doesn't roll a shadow die when the d# is a number that doesn't represent a normal die. Might be able to make an extension that changes this so that /die never shows a shadow die. Best we could do. But like Trenloe said, the GM wouldn't see a die either.

Blacky
March 13th, 2014, 20:16
Which frankly wouldn't be a problem.

But if it's hardcoded, the answer to the original question is to open a Feature Request at https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/. I'll vote for it, it shouldn't be that hard to add an optionnal parameter to Comm.throwDice and add a if() to the FG code.

Mgrancey
March 13th, 2014, 23:59
Yeah, no so much in FG, but in real life I tend to roll dice for no more reason than to screw with players as well.

damned
March 14th, 2014, 02:30
and throw in a little "hmmmm..." after some rolls.

Ardem
March 14th, 2014, 23:44
Nevermind

grimm182
March 20th, 2014, 15:57
just thinking aloud here...could you make the text chat background pure black and use non-black font for the chat? i thought there was a scifi skin that had green on black (shadowrun?) maybe its still rendered and easy to see..."hmmmm"

Andraax
March 20th, 2014, 17:16
Why don't you just roll the dice on the desktop if you don't want the shadows visible to players?