PDA

View Full Version : PC Types

Nickademus
March 9th, 2014, 03:04
I'm just curious (though my inquiry is related to an extension), how many GMs allow players to play PCs that are not humanoids?

All the D&D and PF main races are humanoid. Most of the advanced PC races are humanoid. I think a PC would have to go to the Monster Manual/Bestiary/rules equivalent for a legal-to-play non-humanoid PC race. (The PF Advanced Race guide has none to my knowledge.)

So how safe is it to assume that a PC is humanoid?

Nickademus
March 9th, 2014, 03:17
It seems I was taking the idea of humanoid too literally. Several of the advanced races are typed as Outsiders with the Native subtype.

Bidmaron
March 9th, 2014, 03:32
Personally, I only let my players play the core races. If there was another non-exotic humanoid race, I might consider it, but only for an experienced player.

Blacky
March 9th, 2014, 07:23
I'm just curious (though my inquiry is related to an extension), how many GMs allow players to play PCs that are not humanoids?
All the D&D and PF main races are humanoid.
Not all RPG are D&D. In fact, most aren't.

Nickademus
March 9th, 2014, 09:19
This is not something you need to tell me. My first statement and the question of this thread has nothing to do with D&D. The second statement expresses my own experience, which happens to be D&D/PF.

Any actual input on the question?

Blacky
March 9th, 2014, 11:14
Well, in a lot of games, the question doesn't exist at all. Any and all game when you play human and nothing else (from Cthulhu to a pirate game, anything medieval, etc.) doesn't have this question.

On the other hand, there are plenty of games where you can play a lot of things that have ne report to humanoid shape. Eclipse Phase is a good example, the body is secondary and almost anyone can play almost any shape (including no shape at all, or multiple ones in a swarm, or whatever).

damned
March 9th, 2014, 12:51
I run a Castles&Crusades campaign and they only really allow 7 player races (although the Castle Keepers Guide does allow for other types).
In my first campaign I simply said you are all human to make it easier for me to manage, learn.
Later I realised that it shouldnt make any difference as it was up to them to tell me if their racial characteristics would influence the current situation and I shouldnt worry about trying to keep track of it all...
Then again "mostly" humanoid races in my games raise a lot less objections in town and in interactions with other human settlements. Even the half-orc is still mis-treated and un-trusted in most places we go...
I cant imagine what would happen if he were something even less human...

Bidmaron
March 9th, 2014, 13:35
Well, Nickademus, I thought you were referring to the rules about monstrous PCs and non-traditional. I would not let my players play any of the races in Chapter 2 of the Advanced Race Guide, for example (maybe reformed Drow?).

Nickademus
March 9th, 2014, 21:01
Well, Nickademus, I thought you were referring to the rules about monstrous PCs and non-traditional. I would not let my players play any of the races in Chapter 2 of the Advanced Race Guide, for example (maybe reformed Drow?).

I've looked through Chapter 2 and I would be willing to allow some of them. The aasimar and tiefling in particular are becoming popular and there are some good examples in Pathfinder literature and adventure paths.

Well, in a lot of games, the question doesn't exist at all. Any and all game when you play human and nothing else (from Cthulhu to a pirate game, anything medieval, etc.) doesn't have this question.

This is the impression I got. I've played in several non-D&Dish games and have played a variety of alien races but I don't remember ever the choice of something other than humanoid. I think the closest I got was a lizard creature alien in Alternity, but it was still technically a humanoid even if it was a reptile. There is of course werewolves and vampires and such in White Wolf games but they are still based on humans.

I've never played Eclipse Phase. I might have to look that one up. At any rate, I worked the extension to allow custom races of a type other than humanoid but a PC will default to the humanoid type if none are used. This will be for 3.5e so I imagine the d20 system excludes a lot of the more abstract games that would boast unusual body types. I'm still curious though if there are non-humanoid PC types in popular d20 games. Seems I should be remembering something.

Blacky
March 10th, 2014, 12:48
If the question was, what game can I play to play something not humanoid, then Eclipse Phase is one of the obvious choice (any shape you want as a human mind, or non-human Uplifted or AI mind).

Star Wars and Star Trek and things like that allow for that too. In canon it's uncommon because it was based on tv/movies where non-humanoid cost more money. But in rpg, should be plenty even if not strictly canon.

Nickademus
March 10th, 2014, 17:03
Hmm. I've played Star Wars and heard of Star Trek, both with humanoid PCs being predominant. Star Wars is a d20 game, not sure about Star Trek. Thanks for the information. Makes my choice in the extension more relevant.

Blacky
March 10th, 2014, 17:26
Star Wars has many many editions, most of them aren't d20.