PDA

View Full Version : Mote: Kickstarter for the successor to MapTools

Blacky
February 27th, 2014, 20:09
This is something interesting, by itself. I'm not talking about the product, never used MapTools (free Java and old VirtualTableTop) and its past incompatibility with current Java made me never try (the lack of need too). But the fact there is a successor, and a Kickstarter around it with a little money (3.5K USD as I write this, for a 5K goal) in it, is of some interest. Maybe SmiteWorks could follow this closely, it may generate some ideas about Fantasy Grounds Kickstarters, future big features and how to finance them, how stretch goals are attained at what speed, etc.

Here's the Kickstarter for Mote, successor to MapTools (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740970397/mote-guaranteed-to-be-the-best-virtual-tabletop-ev).

Trenloe
February 27th, 2014, 20:32
Interesting that their "We've added a simple table comparing current VTTs to Mote" doesn't have Fantasy Grounds or d20Pro! https://mote-kickstarter.weebly.com/virtual-tabletop-comparison.html

They do say "Do let us know if there's a VTT or other criteria you want to add!"...

Blacky
February 27th, 2014, 21:11
Yup. As written, you should ask :)

Zeus
February 27th, 2014, 23:06
Hmm. One interesting feature the developers of Mote intend to support and that I'd like to eventually also see in FG, is HTML5 support. In Mote the developers intend to allow users to create their own HTML5 interfaces. This would be a killer feature for a VTT as would allow for all sorts of web based integration goodness.

martel
March 4th, 2014, 19:01
and important, use h2 database :-) easely to import or export data, with the simple sql. (easy to create tables for any games structure)

heyhogan
March 5th, 2014, 18:44
I have tried MapTools (on which Mote is based) and have to say I like it better the Fantasy Grounds map tools. I have actually considered using FG for Character sheets, and story management and MapTools for just maps and tokens. The Fog of war and light features are very cool. I supported this as I would like to see the overall category get better. Roll20 is coming along, but I HATE subscription based services.