PDA

View Full Version : Long time 3.5 - pathfinder player looking to do some time traveling

Grimaxe
February 26th, 2014, 08:28
Most of my experience with pnp games has been in the 3.5/pathfinder realm, recently taking up the mantle of dm for the remnants of our old group and its new players.

I've become interested in running the older systems because I want something that's a little more rules lite (without being almost completely open ended, like say everway). Not being to familiar with alot of non dnd fantasy systems (played some white wolf games, a little paranoia... god that was fun), I'd like to get opinions on the matters from people around here with experience in them.

damned
February 26th, 2014, 10:14
Castles&Crusades

JohnD
February 26th, 2014, 11:23
Most definitely C&C.

Grimaxe
February 26th, 2014, 18:01
Would it be a large bucket of work converting stuff from AD&D into C&C ?

Trenloe
February 26th, 2014, 18:07
Would it be a large bucket of work converting stuff from AD&D into C&C ?
Nope, not really - most of the stuff you'd be very familiar with and the stat blocks are very similar. The main thing you'd have to convert from AD&D is AC - C&C uses the d20 AC numbering (the higher the AC is the harder it is to hit).

Grimaxe
February 26th, 2014, 19:06
Nice, ill have to start setting aside some of the copious amount of free time I have right now to look into that.

Trenloe
February 26th, 2014, 19:11
You could take a quick look at this free scenario: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/108932/Bluffside-Right-Under-our-Noses?cPath=255

It'll give you an idea of how Castles & Crusades has the "old school" feel in terms of how creatures are presented (basic, rules-lite info), etc..

damned
February 26th, 2014, 19:52
yep - just the AC really. there are lots of little differences but for monsters thats about it.
theyve pretty much taken ad&d and tweaked it with some d20 smarts but not much else.

JohnD
February 26th, 2014, 21:46
Nice, ill have to start setting aside some of the copious amount of free time I have right now to look into that.

Would you like a one-on-one quick demo/introduction?

Grimaxe
February 26th, 2014, 22:21
Would you like a one-on-one quick demo/introduction?

Sure, pm me with a good time for you.

leozelig
March 1st, 2014, 12:22
I used the OSRIC ruleset for a couple years, which works great for AD&D games if you want to preserve the old AC system, but unfortunately this ruleset is no longer supported and has not been updated for FG3. C&C will have several more features built into the ruleset, and I don't think conversion would require too much work.

JohnD
March 1st, 2014, 13:24
I will be doing a quick demo tonight at 8 PM Central. If anyone else is interested in a whirlwind tour, let me know. It will only take around 20 minutes.