PDA

View Full Version : Limitations of Demo?

Qai
February 25th, 2014, 01:30
Sorry if this sounds really stupid coming from a license holder of FG, but what exactly are the limitations of the demo? I knew within about 5-10 minutes of fidgeting around with it that FG was a product I wanted to invest in, so I didn't actually thoroughly explore the limits of the demo.

I was thinking that with FG coming to Steam and the additional license options as discussed in the other thread if it would it be feasible for SW to permit a fully functioning demo with the only limitations being 1) not able to save campaigns, and 2) only limited to D&D and/or Pathfinder without the ability to use custom rulesets or modify existing ones. This way, people can test a fully functioning version. Again, sorry if such is already actually the case...

ddavison
February 25th, 2014, 01:35
Qai, you can create items as the GM to test the various features with the demo. As you guessed, it doesn't save anything after you disconnect. In addition, it only allows connections between one player and one GM. It also doesn't come with the built-in monster, character and animal tokens that normally come with a Full or Ultimate license.

Bidmaron
February 25th, 2014, 03:09
If an ultimate license works with demo users, can the demo users load modules and extensions on their demo client?

Qai
February 25th, 2014, 03:47
Thanks ddavison. @Bidmaron: I know that my demo players can play just fine with me as GM using custom rulesets, modules, extensions, etc. Or do you mean use the demo client to test out these things without necessarily actively connecting to other players/GM (the answer to which I don't know)?

Bidmaron
February 25th, 2014, 04:15
No, you answered it. The GM controls what the demo licenses use I guess. The problem is they can't properly prepare characters because they can't load modules when doing manage characters to create their character for a game.

Qai
February 25th, 2014, 05:02
That completely reminds me. Now I remember reading some time ago that demo players cannot do anything with regards to character sheets outside of a hosted session. Nonetheless, I haven't had a single player complain about this. To the contrary, I find that my players like the social interaction of character creation / modification as they work together to synergize the party make up.

Bidmaron
February 25th, 2014, 23:24
For new players especially that can be crucial.

ddavison
February 26th, 2014, 00:12
Some GMs will launch the host an hour in advance of a play session to let players modify their character sheets before a game.

Valarian
February 26th, 2014, 06:45
Or do you mean use the demo client to test out these things without necessarily actively connecting to other players/GM (the answer to which I don't know)?
You can actually provide a "demo" campaign for unregistered/lite licensed players to use. It involves them putting the ruleset file (.pak file) in to rulesets and you creating a campaign file (with objects already created), which they need to put in to their campaigns folder. I've done this for The One Ring when people wanted to try this out as a demo.