PDA

View Full Version : [Advice] Question about ultimate license usage

Thelordofdino
February 24th, 2014, 17:35
Good evening forum

I have a pretty important question for everyone. SO, I was reading the user agreement for fanstasy grounds and saw this:

1. LICENSE GRANT. SmiteWorks, Ltd. grants you a license to use one copy of the version of this SOFTWARE on any one system for as many licenses as you purchase. "You" means the company, entity or individual whose funds are used to pay the license fee. "Use" means storing, loading, installing, executing or displaying the SOFTWARE. You may not modify the SOFTWARE or disable any licensing or control features of the SOFTWARE except as an intended part of the SOFTWARE's programming features. This license is not transferable to another organization. You may transfer a license to another individual once if the software has not been used on any system, and you are the original license holder as defined above. You may transfer the license to another system for your personal use as long as the SOFTWARE is not used or installed on multiple systems.

So here is my questions. Does this mean that you can't use the same license on multiple computers that you own? What happens if the device that you originally registered the license on is lost or stolen? Hopefully someone out there can answer my question...

Trenloe
February 24th, 2014, 17:47
Smiteworks do allow you to install on more than one computer for your own use - e.g. develop on your laptop, run your game on your home PC.

You don't register the license to a specific computer, so if you change to a different computer you can continue to use Fantasy Grounds - just enter your license key in your new FG install and off you go.

Griogre
February 24th, 2014, 20:25
And to dot the i's and cross the t's, if you do have FG installed on multiple computers, you can't use it on both computers at the same time.

kane280484
April 15th, 2014, 08:05
Hi everyone.

But it says that
"Use" means storing, loading, installing so I have to uninstall FG on my computer#1 before installing on computer#2, am I correct? I often switch locations and wanted to install it on both sites to work on my modules or play, but it seems I'd be breaking agreement with SmiteWorks :/

damned
April 16th, 2014, 07:07
You are correct - the license does say that but SmiteWorks have stated in these forums they dont mind you having that setup providing it is for your own use. It seems to be quite a common setup/practice to build on one and play on another...

What you cant do is install it on two different computers so that 2 different GMs can run games using the one license.

Nickademus
April 16th, 2014, 09:22
How do you install FG so that it can be used for development and not GMing a game? Seems to me SW is just condoning breaking the license. Should just change the wording instead.

damned
April 16th, 2014, 09:50
SW being SmiteWorks.
In no way are they condoning you misusing the license.

An install is an install - installing it a second time doesnt cripple or reduce functionality of either copy so there is no inbuilt feature that prevents the two instances working in any situation other than connecting to each other...

Any way - the only person(s) who can answer this question with any authority is SmiteWorks themselves...

However you can see this post for some background... https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19928-Ultimate-License-questions&p=161666&viewfull=1#post161666 and here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16902-Newbie-Pre-purchase-questions&p=127731&viewfull=1#post127731 ... so both Doug and Moon Wizard have said that this use is acceptable...

Although I see you are on at least one of those threads so you know that and I think your point is you are asking SQ to actually change the EULA to reflect their stance...?

Mellock
April 17th, 2014, 10:10
I think this is just a matter of common sense over legalese: "don't abuse the privilege and you're ok." In an age where you have to activate software online, and then have it bind to your specific hardware, I'm very much a fan of it. :p