PDA

View Full Version : getting started in fg, part 2: fantasy grounds on a mac (wine)

tahl_liadon
February 24th, 2014, 02:02
fantasy grounds (fg) is native to windows, but you have a mac?
no worries. you can use fg on your mac!

here's a guide to get fg on your mac using a virtual windows environment called wine. this free app allows windows apps to run on your mac with little fuss and tech intimidation.

(tested and working on mac os x 10.9.2 maverick)

got wine?

you may be in one of these situations:

have never installed wine nor fantasy grounds -- follow all steps
have already tried to install wine and fg before and it did not work -- follow all steps
have installed wine but have never installed fantasy grounds -- follow step 3

1. fresh start / uninstall wine (skip if wine was never installed)

purge any previous wine installation

quit wine
completely move these folders/files to trash:

applications/wine (app)
applications/winebottler (app)
users/[your account]/library/caches/org.kronenberg.wine (folder) *
users/[your account]/library/application support/wine (folder) *
users/[your account]/library/preferences/org.kronenberg.wine.plist *

empty trash

* if your library is hidden, go to apple finder menu at top of screen,

select: go > go to folder...
enter in the location window that pops up: ~/Library

really quit out any wine process

open activity monitor: applications/utilities
find and select any process name containing "wine"
go to view menu and select "quit process" (do for any wine still opened -- may have to "quit process" a couple of times before it actually quits)

purge wine preferences (as well as fg if previously installed)

find and delete this folder: [your user account]/wine files
drag the whole directory to trash
empty trash

tahl_liadon
February 24th, 2014, 02:04
2. installing wine

download wine dmg package (https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/) (always use the "stable" version):
(caution: ignore and wait for all the countdown-ads, then click "skip ad" after countdown; after second ad countdowns, download dialog box will appear)
open dmg and place both wine and winebottler in applications folder

open wine
3 wine windows will open: winetricks; change prefix; and general preferences

choose "apply" in winetricks and wait until process completes
do nothing with other 2 windows
close all 3 windows
notice a wine glass icon has appeared in mac finder menu bar on top (left of clock)

click wine glass and choose file manager
a windows-style window interface will open -- leave it open

tahl_liadon
February 24th, 2014, 02:05
3. install fg with wine

download and initialize fg

download the fantasy grounds web installer (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe)
wine interface will pop up at opening the fg web installer: "run directly in... [default path]" is selected
do not change anything
click "go"
agree to the eula to open fg settings
provide license key
leave username blank
click "ok" (files will download)

(if error message "ruleset: laucher.... etc" pops up, choose "no" -- error window will close)

launching fg

go back to wine file manager window
double-click "program files" folder -- contents will be shown at right
double-click "fantasy grounds" folder to see contents

double-click fantasyground.exe to open (may take a moment until fg launch window appears)

joining fg game / log on to gm server

important: your gm will let you know if the server is up. you cannot log in and participate if it is not.

choose "join game"
enter username (whatever you want -- either your player name or pc name)
enter the 4-word alias
click "start"

if it is your first time login in, it may take a few minutes to download resources from your gm server. be patient and let it do its thing. once connected, your gm should already have your pc stats uploaded, all ready to go; you should see a window containing your pc (as well other pcs). double-click yours to enter, and...

be prepare for some awesome virtual table top experience!

Trenloe
February 24th, 2014, 10:40
Good work! :)

Moved from the Pathfinder Society forum as this is relevant to everyone, and this thread has nothing specifically to do with Pathfinder Society.

Zeus
February 24th, 2014, 21:19
Good guide. Stickied the thread.

Move to the House of Healing, inline with the other Mac/Linux wine guides.

dberkompas
July 22nd, 2015, 03:13
I've been using FG for a short spell, always on a Windows notebook.

I just got an opportunity to get a new notebook at work, so since all my work is done at the command prompt, I opted for a Macbook Pro Retina.
(Real reason, I went with the most expensive machine they'd allow)

I got FG working just fine, except when it goes to installing 5E components. I looked in other threads, but they all seem to be for PC.

Anyone have a mac and got past getting the Elemental Evil mod installed?

BoomerET

Trenloe
July 22nd, 2015, 14:58
I got FG working just fine, except when it goes to installing 5E components. I looked in other threads, but they all seem to be for PC.

Anyone have a mac and got past getting the Elemental Evil mod installed?
What's the issue you're having?

Did you buy the problem modules from the FG store or from Steam?

dberkompas
July 22nd, 2015, 16:56
My apologies, I should have been more detailed.

I see a couple threads where people are having issues when they do an update that some of the D&D 5E content is not able to be put in the vault.

I had the same problem on my Windows machine, and I deleted content.dat, and ran the updater as admin.

I've bought everything for Fantasy Grounds from the FG store, nothing from Steam.
(I've tried running from Steam as well as Wineskin)

(Here's the dialog)
>HandlFile
>Unable to save file (modules/DD Elemental Evil Players Companion.mod)
>to content vault.

BoomerET

dberkompas
July 24th, 2015, 17:02
The issue has been resolved. As soon as I put in my Ultimate key, the modules installed into the vault just fine.

BoomerET

Nylanfs
July 24th, 2015, 20:20
Yea!

ewoks
August 27th, 2015, 11:01
I've been working on a new campaign, I wrote the story on Pages and I'm stuck now because I can't copy/past from Pages to FG.

I've try Cmd+V and CTL+V and nothing...

Does anybody knows how to fix this trouble? It would be a pain in the a.. to rewrote the whole thing.

damned
August 27th, 2015, 11:56
Hi Ewoks - there are two likely issues - search here for plainclip. Get it. Use it. And when you are in Mac and copying use the Mac copy key combinations, when copying or pasting within FG use the windows key combinations.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21855-Cannot-Paste-within-Fantasy-Grounds-(Mac-osx)/page6

stevenyuko
October 1st, 2015, 10:10
so, if you installed fantasy grounds via Steam, and DCL stuff through the fantasygrounds.com website because I have a mac. How do I actually access the content folder. When I run fantasy grounds, I can can see how its running on wineskin in the background, but when I click on the little icon in the top right corner "see folder" it doesn't let me access the root folder for fantasy grounds. I've seen post where for certain things you want to do you copy things into specific folders but I haven't been able to find out how to access those folders on my mac. Any help would be appreciated.

damned
October 1st, 2015, 14:12
its something like this
Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Fantasy Grounds/Fantasy Grounds/Contents/Resources/Drive_C/Users/Wineskin/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds

try saying that 3 times real quick

Danimal66
October 8th, 2015, 05:27
I need some help, hopefully this is the right thread. One of my players is using a Mac. We have been playing for a month with no problems. I had him install Steam and download the Free / Demo version. Well I guess today he upgraded his OS to El Capitan or something. Now FG won't work, or more specifically Wine won't work.

He has removed Wine and reinstalled and still nothing. I'm not a Mac guy, he said Wine doesn't run with the new OS update but there was a beta version of Wine but that didn't work either. I'm not really sure what to tell him to do at this point. Any ideas?

damned
October 8th, 2015, 05:32
Mac Man will need to install the latest Wineskin (https://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=82) and then complete the install using the instructions from here - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)

Hopefully SmiteWorks can repackage the Steam install once they have it all tested.

Danimal66
October 8th, 2015, 05:41
Mac Man will need to install the latest Wineskin (https://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=82) and then complete the install using the instructions from here - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)

Hopefully SmiteWorks can repackage the Steam install once they have it all tested.

I appreciate it but we went to that page earlier and unless we're both missing something obvious, I don't see a download link on the page for the 2.6.1 version. Can you tell me what I am missing, sorry to be so daft.

damned
October 8th, 2015, 05:53
Thats ok - Im no Mac expert either!
You follow the instructions on Link2 and it will either download the new build or give you the option to download that new build.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)

Eighteez
January 24th, 2016, 19:42
I am trying to get this to work on my mac and am having some success.

I installed steam.
I installed FG using steam.
I entered my license code when requested.
I copied my campaigns folder from my windows machine to dropbox.
I copied it from dropbox to the appropriate folder on my mac

When I load the campaigns I do see the pcs. But nothing in maps, story, etc. How do I make those resources show?

Eighteez
January 24th, 2016, 20:20
specifically, how to keep things in place. When I go in and activate the modules they are not staying activated and next time I run steam and then FG I get this:

www.jersrealm.com/temp/screenshot.jpg

Moon Wizard
January 25th, 2016, 01:59
That means that your data is not being saved on exit. The most likely cause of this is if you are running on a Mac and closing FG using the Finder menu instead of closing FG by right clicking on the desktop. This is a limitation of Wine which is used to allow FG to run on Mac and Linux.

Regards,
JPG

Eighteez
January 25th, 2016, 02:13
That sounds right.

Right clicking on desktop?

Not sure what that means. How should i close it?

Moon Wizard
January 25th, 2016, 04:41
Just right click on the middle of the FG screen where there are no windows, and you will be presented with a radial menu including options to close or go back to launcher.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 25th, 2016, 04:44
Within the Fantasy Grounds application - right click on the background/wallpaper/desktop of the FG Client and on the radial menu that pops up you will see an option to Exit Fantasy Grounds.

Eighteez
January 25th, 2016, 14:16
I'll make sure that is happening and report back if it happens again.

I know I have gone back to the launcher before that way.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 20th, 2016, 00:53
I'm running a wine installation. I can make the networking work if we're all operating on the same router (all in the same house). I can get FG to see my external IP, however when I run the Connection Test, I always get a FAILURE, and no one can connect. I don't think it's anything to do with port forwarding. I have FG installed on a Parallels Windows 1o VM and it works perfectly. Does anyone know what I have wrong with my networking?

dmbrown
November 20th, 2016, 01:43
I have a mac too using wine. Once I setup port forwarding on my router and set my mac to have the same internal IP address I was able to get a success message in FG and can you see.org.

damned
November 20th, 2016, 02:16
I'm running a wine installation. I can make the networking work if we're all operating on the same router (all in the same house). I can get FG to see my external IP, however when I run the Connection Test, I always get a FAILURE, and no one can connect. I don't think it's anything to do with port forwarding. I have FG installed on a Parallels Windows 1o VM and it works perfectly. Does anyone know what I have wrong with my networking?

Its definietly Port Forwarding that you need to look at.