PDA

View Full Version : Hastur says Hi

Hastur
February 23rd, 2014, 21:23
Hi everyone,

just want to say Hi to everybody. I am now proud owner of a FG-license and having a great time playing around and learning the possibilities of the program. At the moment I am trying to build a Call of Cthulhu-scenario (I am mainly a CoC-player). I have so many questions, but I try to be patient and collect them and try to solve them on my own with your great support-posts in this forum and the you-tube-videos some of you made. All of this is very helpful. Thanks a lot for the work.

cya & Greetings
Hastur

Zeus
February 23rd, 2014, 21:35
Hastur, welcome to the forums and community. No need to be patient, feel free to post up any questions you may have as and when they spring up. You will find that everyone here is very friendly and supportive. For CoC ruleset specific queries you may get faster responses if you post over in the CoC sub forum, failing that the House of Healing is also good for seeking help.

dulux-oz
February 24th, 2014, 03:19
Hi Hastur,

I'd like to second Zeus welcome and comments

As far as the Tutorial Videos on YouTube (Hey Nick, another of my shameless self-plugs) are you aware of mine?

I've done and am doing a series of Tutorial Videos witch cover the most up-to-date version of FG (ie v3.0.2). At this stage the series is not complete (I'm actually working on the next one as I wright this - just taking another quick break) and it's focussed on the CoreRPG Ruleset, but you and your players should find them very useful - at least others keep telling me they have

As I explain in the first Video, I've started with the CoreRPG because, the way that SmiteWorks have designed things with v3 of FG, the CoreRPG forms the "base" of (soon to be, we hope) all other Rulesets. This is already true for D&D 3.5 and 4, plus Pathfinder and a bunch of others, so by learning to use FG with the CoreRPG Ruleset means that you will have learnt FG for.. what, 80% or more of all of the Rulesets.

Anyway, welcome to club - you'll find we're all really friendly and helpful here. Don't be ashamed of asking questions (I know I still do), and check on my Tutorial Videos (the links in my Sig).

Enjoy

Nickademus
February 24th, 2014, 03:26
(Hey Nick, another of my shameless self-plugs)

Everything is as it should be. *sagenod*

And Welcome. Don't mind the old fogies.

Hastur
February 24th, 2014, 18:46
Many thanks for the friendly welcome! As for the Tutorial Videos of you, Dulux-Oz, I started to watch them even before I get my licence. I really like their thoroughness. Thanks for your great work, they are really helpfull.

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2014, 02:54
Glad to be of help

Bidmaron
February 25th, 2014, 03:06
So when's the next video going to be done, Dulux? Going through withdrawal.

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2014, 03:42
Going through withdrawal.

Is that you going through withdrawal or are you making a statement about me? :p

Its about 10% into Voice Recording right now. Once all the sound-bites are done we move into Post-Production where I've got to marry them up with the Animations and ensure that the Timings are correct. Then it's Pre-Release and the final "Proof-Watch" and if everything's AOK it'll be released - I expect it'll be up sometime before or over the weekend, unless "life" intrudes too much again. :)

On a second positive note, the Video after is already in Pre-Production with the script and recovery-of-relevant-parts-of-the-old-video approximately 80% complete.

For those who are interested the production process runs more or less as follows:

Pre-Production - where the Script is developed and we try and recover as much from the Video we are replacing as possible.

Animation - where the visual aspects of the Script are captured/recorded/edited/manipulated.

Voice-Recording - where the audio aspects of the Script are captured/recorded/edited/manipulated.

Post-Production - where Animation & Voice-Recording are married up and the individual movements, etc. are edited/manipulated so as to form one seamless whole.

Pre-Release - where we do the final "Proof-Watch" and fix any errors, which may involve a fresh sound-bite voice recording or a new animation or just a re-working of some timings. If everything is good at this point we post the Video and then do a few "shameless plugs" to let everyone know. :)

Cheers

Bidmaron
February 25th, 2014, 04:13
How many player videos will there be in the end and will it cover Pfrgp?
How many GM videos?

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2014, 15:34
How many player videos will there be in the end and will it cover Pfrgp?
How many GM videos?

The exact number of Videos (Player and GM) is a little bit nebulous due to the fact that, until I get each Script written, I don't know how much I can fit in to each "no more than about 30 minutes" video. For eg, originally Videos A-03 & A-04 (The Players' Desktop Parts 1 & 2) were one video, but as it turned out to be too long I split it into two.

As a general rule of thumb, the GM Videos will track pretty closely with the Player Videos, at least until we get to the point where we're discussing GM Only concepts. But just because a given topic is only one video in Section A the corresponding video in Section B may be two videos, or even more, or vice-versa eg Videos A-03, A-04 and B-02 all cover the Desktop, but as most of the topics were covered in the Player Videos (A-03 & A-04) the GM's Desktop we could cover in a single Video (B-02).

My general Plan for the Videos is as follows:

Introduction
Players' Launcher
Players' Desktop
Players' Large Menubar Buttons & Tokens Box (most of)
Players' Images & Maps
Players' Character Sheet
Players' Small Menubar Buttons (most of)
Players' Party Sheet
Players' Combat Tracker
Manage Characters
Exporting Characters
Importing Characters
GM's Launcher
GM's Desktop
GM's Large Menubar Buttons & Tokens Box (most of)
GM's Images & Maps
GM's Small Menubar Buttons (most of)
GM's Party Sheet
GM's Combat Tracker
Exporting Information/Modules
Sample of Play (with Combat)

Then I might do (in no particular order):

TeamSpeak
Creating Tokens
Ruleset, Module & Extension Creation/Modification - don't ANYONE get your hopes up!
The Locations Extension (my own creation)

From there I'll move on to:

The Übergame Ruleset (as Series Two) - my own creation, a 3.5E/C&C/PF variant/hybrid
The Dragon Warriors Ruleset (as Series Three) - my translation into FG
Star Frontiers (as Series Four or Five) - maybe
3E ShadowRun (as Series Four or Five) - maybe

As I don't play PathFinder I have no real incentive to do a Series on it, nor on 3.5E, 4E or 5E D&D, or any other Game System - that of course may change as I become (re-)interested in those games. But the Übergame Ruleset is based heavily on the 3.5E/PF Rulesets so a lot of that should be the same - or at least close enough to be useful.

Hope this answers your questions

Cheers