PDA

View Full Version : Help with Crusader's Companion

dr_venture
February 23rd, 2014, 19:12
I'm slowly chipping away at the Crusader's Companion (CC), converting it to a module for FG. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a *fantastic* free supplement distributed by Troll Lords via their web site. If you play C&C or any kind of old-school RPG, there is a lot of good stuff to browse through. The file can be downloaded free via this link:

https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/crusaderscompanion.pdf

It's all OGL stuff (and the module contains all the appropriate licenses and credits) so we should be good to go.

It is a massive supplement at 300 pages, densely packed with material, so there's no way I can look at converting the whole thing at once. In fact, with a supplement that huge, there is a lot I'm never going to use, and thus will likely never get around to implementing if this is solely for my own use.

I know you good folks are probably as anxious as I to cherry pick through the material for your own uses, so I figured that maybe this should be made into a group effort as much as possible. I am most of the way to having all of the approximately 400 new spells working, which has been a fairly big job in itself. A big part of that is that the CC contains class spell lists that have both core C&C spells which need to be referenced in the official PHB (they cannot be redistributed via our free supplement), and spells that are new to the CC, so sorting that all out is my current delirious joy while I'm sick with some bug or other. I'll probably tackle the monsters section next.

In the mean time, if you'd like to help me get this to the first stage of release - the complete Spells section - I could use your assistance! As you can see by the size of the list, this is a lot for 1 guy to accomplish on top of all the work to just get the data into the proper format for FG.

The following spells have no 1-line summary summary listed in the Class/Level tables, so when they are brought to a character sheet, the short description will be empty. If you'd like to contribute to the cause, please let me know so I can give you a range of spells to provide summaries for (I'll manage it so that we don't have duplicated efforts). When you contact me, give me an idea if you'd like maybe 1 letter of the alphabet or two, or specific letters, and we'll try to make that work.

Here's you opportunity to contribute even if you're not a code monkey :D

The following spells need summaries:

Absorb Life Essence
Admonish
Airy Water
Alms
Alter Gravity
Alter Winds
Anatomics
Animal Speech
Animal Trance
Animate Dead Animals
Aqueous Blast
Armor Of Undeath
Aura Of Thorns
Bloodhound
Bonetrap
Branding Mark
Bugs
Burning Gaze
Burst Rope
Castling
Chain Enervation
Claws
Cleaning
Clenched Fist
Cloud Of Annhilation
Crushing Hand
Daze
Death Bringer
Death Gaze
Deathless Eternity
Denounce
Disfiguration
Disguise Corpse
Disguise Self
Divine Shield
Eavesdrop
Elemental Aura
Elemental Redirection
Elemental Weapon
Energy Blades
Enrich
Eradicate
Essence Transfusion
Exorcism
Expend
Exploding Orb
Eyebite
Fast Healing
Feedback
Feign Death
Firelight
Flame Blade
Foe's Fire
Forceful Hand
Forcewave
Foresight
Furry
Ghost Sight
Ghostly Revenge
Glide
Good Hope*
Grasping Hand
Greater Conversion
Heat Bone
Helping Hand
Hemorrhaging Wound
Hold Person, Mass
Holy Feast
Holy Might
Holy Speech
Horrid Wilting
Iceball
Illuminating Orb
Illusionary Form: Pit Fiend
Illusory Attack
Inception
Interposing Hand
Intoxication
Invisibility Purge
Invulnerability
Last Breath
Legerdemain
Lifeleech
Lower Resistance
Magic Darts
Magical Mirror
Mantle Of Protection
Mass Monitoring
Mass Planar Adaptation
Memory Lapse
Minor Sequencer
Monitor
Necrotic Touch
Negative Energy Armor
Order
Peacefulness
Pit
Planar Adaptation
Precise Weapon
Predict Attack
Rain Of Tranquility
Ray Of Frost
Ray Of Sacrifice
Rebuke
Repentance
Seduction
See Through Walls
Seize Initiative
Shadow Ride
Shadow Step
Share Senses
Shield Of Law
Shroud Of Death*
Smoke Rope
Soul Bond
Soul Exchange
Spectral Attack
Spell Immunity
Spell Sacrifice
Spell Sequencer
Staff To Snakes
Striking Orb
Sunbeam
Sunburst
Sunrise/Night Fall
Suppress Magic
Swarm Form
Tangle Of Thorns
Teleport Other
Temperature
Thorn Armour
Thunderbolts
Tithe
Touch Of Anxiety
Transmogrify
Tremor
Water To Wine
Word Of Chaos
World Wave
Zephyr Of Death

damned
February 23rd, 2014, 20:57
I will have a look at the monsters....

Andraax
February 24th, 2014, 14:57
Just email a block of the spells - I have no preference. Let's chunk through this quickly.

JohnD
February 24th, 2014, 15:36
Yeah, I'll contribute time/effort - I'll take the following;

Seduction
See Through Walls
Seize Initiative
Shadow Ride
Shadow Step
Share Senses
Shield Of Law
Shroud Of Death*
Smoke Rope
Soul Bond
Soul Exchange
Spectral Attack
Spell Immunity
Spell Sacrifice
Spell Sequencer
Staff To Snakes
Striking Orb
Sunbeam
Sunburst
Sunrise/Night Fall
Suppress Magic
Swarm Form
Tangle Of Thorns
Teleport Other
Temperature
Thorn Armour
Thunderbolts
Tithe
Touch Of Anxiety
Transmogrify
Tremor
Water To Wine
Word Of Chaos
World Wave
Zephyr Of Death

Any particular format you want? Unless you say otherwise I'll do;

Spell Name
[short description]

Spell Name
[short description]

Spell Name
[short description]

You get the idea. :)

Targas
February 24th, 2014, 18:57
Dr.Venture, please check your private email inbox here.

dr_venture
February 24th, 2014, 20:03
Just email a block of the spells - I have no preference. Let's chunk through this quickly.

Well, since John D took the last 1/3rd, how about you take the middle third, starting with the intriguingly-named spell "Furry" through John's selection. I've emailed the list to you. Now we just need somebody/somebodies to take up the first third... then I get to add each individual summary to the XML master... fuh...

In any case, I thew most of my Sunday at it, and I have the module totally up and running, minus the spell summaries... so we're really close.

JohnD
February 24th, 2014, 20:54
Here are spells S through Z.

dr_venture
February 24th, 2014, 21:14
Thanks John - ignore my email :)

JohnD
February 24th, 2014, 21:49
No worries - glad to help a bit. With XML you're on your own though.

dr_venture
February 26th, 2014, 00:06
OK, I've got John's summaries entered, Andraax is working on his - since nobody else volunteered, I guess I'll take all summaries up to but not including "Furry" (which, it turns out, is totally *not* a pop culture reference). Hopefully I'll have the Spells portion of the companion posted in the next day or two.

S Ferguson
February 26th, 2014, 00:24
OK, I've got John's summaries entered, Andraax is working on his - since nobody else volunteered, I guess I'll take all summaries up to but not including "Furry" (which, it turns out, is totally *not* a pop culture reference). Hopefully I'll have the Spells portion of the companion posted in the next day or two.

I would have thought the pop-culture reference would have been apparent. :D E-mail me with what you have covered so far and I'll see if I can wrangle it in to my busy schedule.:)

Cheers,
SF

dr_venture
February 27th, 2014, 04:30
OK, I have the first section through Furry done.

Thanks for the offer, Scott, but I think we're good if Andraax is still up for his selection - that still cool with you, dude?

Andraax
February 27th, 2014, 04:58
BTW, I've sent off my section to you via email.

dr_venture
February 27th, 2014, 05:04
Perfect, thanks - just putting a couple touches on it - should have it posted tonight, fates willing.

dr_venture
February 27th, 2014, 23:43
I will have a look at the monsters....

What are you thinking about the Monsters? I had planned to tackle those next (and maybe take a whack at the Classic Monsters while I was at it if Troll Lords was interested and no one else was working on it... though if they were it would be somewhat of a relief). However, if you're going to handle it, then I'll work on something else.

damned
March 1st, 2014, 00:40
i made a NPC module creator for C&C here (although I havent checked the output with FG3)...

https://swordsnsorcery.com/fantasygrounds/npcs.php

Im sure if I get the monsters in excel spreadsheet format it would take a very short time (possibly just cut n paste direct into database) to modularise this...
Im just looking at the PDF now..

damned
March 1st, 2014, 08:15
Im experimenting with this - it should be quite ok - if a little manual.
Please anyone chime in and let me know any tips to save time here:

1. Copy Monster from PDF to Notepad++
2. Use Ctrl+J to join broken lines
3. Copy into Excel
4. Check that all lines are the same as other monsters - eg Bats has Attribute stats where Saves should be and Saves where Int should be.
5. Clean up data - eg Find/Replace "NO. ENCOUNTERED: " with ""
First issue.... this then turns numbers into dates at every opportunity eg 10-50 becomes Oct-50. Ive tried setting all fields to TEXT before and after pasting monster data, turning off autocorrect for this document. Cant find anything else to try.
6. Reorder fields to match my data import
7. Paste into my template excel
8. Import to SQL database
9. Use the PHP page above to download.

damned
March 2nd, 2014, 09:22
so... im about a third of the way thru... very cumbersome and manual process sadly.

dr_venture
March 2nd, 2014, 19:01
so... im about a third of the way thru... very cumbersome and manual process sadly.

If you can just provide me with a text file of the monster data all cleaned up and correct (sometimes text coming out of a PDF takes a lot of massaging), I can do the rest. I'm thinking that this would form the basis of the GM-only version of the CC module. I'm happy to do the coding & text extraction - it's the text extraction and correcting that drives me nuts.