PDA

View Full Version : Ext: Ability Damage Action

Nickademus
February 22nd, 2014, 01:50
This extension is no longer supported in FG 3.0.4.

Ability Damage Action Extension
Version: 1.5
Compatibility: FG II v. 3.0.3
Rulesets: 3.5E & PFRPG
Description: Adds ability damage to the damage action and ability healing to the heal action of a spell in a spell class on the action tab.

V1.5 Update Notes

Added '-skills' to allow ability scores in the SKILL: tag
Added '-checks' to allow ability scores in the ABIL: tag

Modification Specifics
Added:
scripts/ability_damage_action.lua

Modified:
scripts/manager_action_damage.lua
scripts/manager_action_skill.lua
scripts/manager_action_ability.lua
manager_spell.lua
spell_action.lua

How to Use
When making a 'damage action' in a 'spell' on the actions tab to represent a spell or effect that deals ability damage to a target, enter the name of an ability as the damage type. See the image below for an example of an action for the ray of enfeeblement spell. The full name must be used (not STR for strength) but is not case-sensitive.

When making a 'heal action' in a 'spell' on the actions tab to represent a spell or effect that removes ability damage, click the Type button until the desired ability is displayed. See the image below for an example of an action that cure 1d6 strength damage.

How Does It Work
Against a PC the damage is applied in the ability damage column on the character sheet and the new modifier calculated. The damage caps at the PC's actual ability score. Ability healing reduces the number in the ability damage column and the new modifier is calculated.

Against an NPC the damage is turned into an effect that applies a penalty to the ability score. Should the NPC already have an effect that applies a penalty to that ability, the ability damage is added to the preexisting effect. Some ability damage sources are not meant to stack and the GM will have to handle these separately. Effects with multiple tags as well as positive bonuses to an ability score will not be affected. Ability healing reduces a preexisting penalty effect to the ability score, removing it if the penalty reaches zero.

Some elements that interact with ability damage:

ability damage can be Empowered and Maximized like normal damage.
ability healing can also be Empowered and Maximized.
the modifier window buttons Half and Critical can be used to modify ability damage.
ability healing does NOT benefit from combat modifier such as Half and Critical.
a creature can be given immunity to ability damage by applying an effect with the label 'IMMUNE: dexterity'.
a creature can be given resistance to ability damage by applying an effect with the label 'RESIST: 5 strength'.
a creature can be given vulnerability to ability damage by applying an effect with the label 'VULN: charisma'.
the names of abilities can no longer be used in the ABIL: and SKILL: tag. Instead use a hyphenated name like 'dexterity-checks' for ability checks and 'charisma-skills' for skill effects affecting all skills of an ability type.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2014, 01:58
Nice work. :)

I'll have to look into this in more depth when I have time

How Does It Work
Against an NPC the damage is removed from the NPC's raw ability score.

Can you explain more how the NPC damage is applied?

Is it just subtracted from the actual <strength>, <dexterity>, etc. value in the NPC database entry? Or, is it applied as an effect to the NPC in the combat tracker, STR:XX, DEX:XX etc?

Nickademus
February 22nd, 2014, 02:01
The raw value is retrieved, the damage is calculated separately, the value is reduced by the damage amount, and finally the new value is put back into the database.

I should probably change this so the ability damage can be healed.... I should probably make it so that ALL ability damage can be healed with the heal action, now that I think about it.

Willot
February 22nd, 2014, 02:53
This will be VERY useful once any bugs get worked out of it. (Ill try it later). Poisons & Diseases!!! (mmmmmm Items that cast spells???)

Would it be possible to create an On Going Ability Damage version too? That might mean it would have to be an effect ho. mmmmm?

Nickademus
February 22nd, 2014, 03:48
On going damage is an effect. This is a spell action. You would have to make a new effect that takes an ability type as a parameter and affects the ability damage field. That is completely separate from this since this deals with raw damage from an action.

The only 'bug' I see right now is that NPCs don't use their ability scores so reducing them does nothing. I made this to get away from having to use effects for ability damage, though it seems effects are the only thing that NPCs pay attention to. This extension should work fine as-is for damaging PCs.

Just need to add the healing. I will probably add a behind-the-scenes effect to NPCs so that the ability damage action can at least have a use for PCs. Effects are highly annoying to work with when there is no ruleset documentation.

Willot
February 22nd, 2014, 22:44
As You can do STR: +4 Couldnt it be altered to simply also do STR: -4? Which I dont think it can atm.? Using an effect you can then set durations? Athlo if I remeber right Effects arent automatcally applied as damage is.

Nickademus
February 22nd, 2014, 23:22
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I have it as of right now applying an effect to NPCs after the damage die is rolled. Working on dealing with increasing the penalty if an effect is already on the NPC. Will update soon.

(btw... I really hate effect coding; which is my curse since they are primarily what I'll be making extension for...)

Nickademus
February 23rd, 2014, 02:44
Update available: NPCs are now affected by the ability damage action, so load up those rays of enfeeblement!

Next stop, ability healing.

Nickademus
February 24th, 2014, 03:14
Extension's finished. Report any bugs here.

Enjoy.

Bidmaron
February 24th, 2014, 03:27
Congrats, Nickademus. I look forward to using it.

Nickademus
March 11th, 2014, 18:16
Updated for FG 3.0.3.

Willot
March 17th, 2014, 03:43
Wow this extension is sooo useful. This needs to been made a permenent part of the core! Ability crops up ALOT in 3.5/PF

Nickademus
March 17th, 2014, 05:01
Glad you find it useful.

Nickademus
March 18th, 2014, 03:37
Would it be possible to create an On Going Ability Damage version too?

Was doing some checking and found out that the extension does this naturally. If you put an effect like 'DMGO: 1 dexterity' on a creature it will take the ability damage on its turn.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2014, 06:00
Was doing some checking and found out that the extension does this naturally. If you put an effect like 'DMGO: 1 dexterity' on a creature it will take the ability damage on its turn.
How does this cater for the damage type that can be put on DMGO? e.g. DMGO: 1 fire? Or an ability damage with a type, e.g.: DMGO: 1 fire dexterity (if there is such a possibility)?

Willot
March 18th, 2014, 06:02
Yep Already worked that out Also very useful!!. Be nice if A freq for a save could be set for DMGO too. Hence poisons and diseases.

Type poison (injury); Save Fortitude DC 11 Frequency 1/round for 6 rounds Effect 1d2 Con damage; Cure 1 save

Nickademus
March 18th, 2014, 06:37
How does this cater for the damage type that can be put on DMGO? e.g. DMGO: 1 fire? Or an ability damage with a type, e.g.: DMGO: 1 fire dexterity (if there is such a possibility)?

DMGO has an asterisk on damage type in the modifiers menu which means '* = Multiple entries of this descriptor type allowed'. With this extension, FG treats the abilities literally as a damage type so 'DMGO: 1 fire dexterity' should work just fine (assuming such a thing exists).

Having a new save for ongoing damage would require a total rewrite of the DMGO tag and how it interacts with combat rounds. JPG might feel like do that but I don't, not unless it becomes an actual problem. Personally, I wouldn't use it anyway since I roll the saves for character in secret until they have identified what the 'Not Feeling Well' effect actually is. But then, I hide a lot of the data from players to preserve RP. Just how I roll.

Nickademus
March 24th, 2014, 18:25
Updated to version 1.5; fixed some issues with FG's effect programming ignoring ability score names now since they are treated as damage types. A minor work-around is needed but I find it rare that anyone wants to make effects for raw ability checks or groups of skills.

Willot
April 19th, 2014, 23:34
mmm it appears this may not be working any longer. Its doing regular damage

Eternall
May 26th, 2014, 10:55

Same for me :)

Trenloe
May 26th, 2014, 16:44
It works fine for me.

Make sure you're using version 1.5 (the version number is displayed in the chat window).

Or, if you're using Nickademus's Expanded Effects Tags extensions as well, make sure you're using the combined extension available in post #2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20547-EXT-Expanded-Effect-Tags

Willot
May 26th, 2014, 20:39
Or, if you're using Nickademus's Expanded Effects Tags extensions as well, make sure you're using the combined extension available in post #2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20547-EXT-Expanded-Effect-Tags
yes this was it. didnt realised he'd cobined them

Jwguy
June 15th, 2014, 10:51
Is there an alternative to this in the native environment of the latest update, now that this extension is no longer supported?

EDIT: Sorry! Sorry! I just found the effect option! My bad! :o

hangarflying
July 15th, 2014, 00:57
EDIT: Sorry! Sorry! I just found the effect option! My bad! :o

Can you explain what that is for the rest of us who haven't found it?