PDA

View Full Version : Server Down Time

ddavison
February 21st, 2014, 13:12
The server is back online again now.

We started experiencing issues yesterday and our host ended up having to replace all the hardware except for the hard drives. Trying to find this root cause did also uncover some brute force attacks originating from China, as well, but those are unrelated to the hardware issues we experienced. We will conduct additional due diligence to make sure our protections are up sufficiently to thwart further issues from the brute force attacks. We don't expect further downtime during this period, but we will post here if we do see any.

No credit cards or other personal information other than your user ID, email and fantasy grounds license numbers are stored on our server. Our main focus is to prevent interruptions to your gaming sessions.

If the server is ever unavailable, you can still connect GM's with players by giving your players your external IP address. This should be visible inside of Fantasy Grounds. Without our server, the validation of the Ultimate licenses will also be unavailable and these will revert back to the functionality of a Full license. This means that unregistered players will be unable to connect even when using an IP address for direct connection. We will try our best to limit the number of outages throughout the year so this will not become a significant problem for anyone.

Nickademus
February 21st, 2014, 16:24
It's none of my business, but that's never stopped me in the past.

Out of curiosity, is the host paying for the new hardware or did they stick you with the cost?

damned
February 21st, 2014, 20:14
sadly i have blocked the majority of chinese ip address ranges on my 3 web servers. that means that the web site running on them get no exposure to a billion or so people but it reduces hacking attempts massively....

Willot
February 21st, 2014, 20:37
did also uncover some brute force attacks originating from China

Its the Chinese Government looking to take our western ideas and concepts on RPGs to make them their own and thus making China the leading power in the world on RPGS!!!

Anyways what might be nice is if it happens again. Perhaps an update on the fantasy grounds Facebook page or something. ;)

ddavison
February 22nd, 2014, 21:04
It's none of my business, but that's never stopped me in the past.

Out of curiosity, is the host paying for the new hardware or did they stick you with the cost?

They covered the support costs and the replacement of the hardware. We use 1and1.

Nickademus
February 22nd, 2014, 23:15
That's awesome.

Zeus
February 22nd, 2014, 23:33
Power to the Cloud! You might want to take a look at a Fujitsu Cloud solution offering Doug ;)