PDA

View Full Version : new weapon

macphil
February 19th, 2014, 18:06
I am trying to add a bow that does 1d6 damage to chaotic evil and/or 2d6 to lawful evil enemies it hits. I think the best way to do that is adding a spell effect in the character action. I know how to do point blank but how would I do something like this can anyone please help me before I start going crazy

JohnD
February 19th, 2014, 18:29
I would make an effect. I don't think you'll be able to set it up so the determination between no bonus damage, 1d6 bonus damage or 2d6 bonus damage happens automatically.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 18:48
Just add 2 separate effects:

CE damage; DMG:1d6
LE damage; DMG:2d6

Then apply whichever one you need just before you roll damage.

I can't think of a way of having an effect that will just trigger on the alignment of the target.

There is an undocumented IFT effect (If Target has a condition), but this is only linked to predetermined conditions defined in the ruleset.

e.g. IFT: stunned; DMG:1d6

This would be applied to the creature rolling damage and would mean that if the target of the damage roll had the "stunned" condition there would be an additional 1d6 damage rolled.

So, in theory, if "ChaoticEvil" was added as a condition to the ruleset you could use:

IFT: chaoticevil; DMG:1d6

But, the alignment would need to be added as a condition in the ruleset you are using (PFRPG or 3.5E?) to the "conditions" list in the \scripts\data_common.lua script.

Which ruleset are you using?

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 19:24
Updated extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20505-Alignment-Condition-extension&p=168812

macphil
February 19th, 2014, 21:01
I am playing the pathfinder rule set. Thank you much will try tonight and tell you if it works.

Nickademus
February 19th, 2014, 22:21
This is nice. I'm totally stealing it.

Any reason not to make the alignment conditions more appealing to the eye? Something like 'neutralevil' annoys me when it's not in code. I image one could just change the string in a lua file to be 'Neutral evil' and it would register with the space and capital. At least, that's what it seems from the other conditions and tags I've seen in lua files.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 22:45
Any reason not to make the alignment conditions more appealing to the eye? Something like 'neutralevil' annoys me when it's not in code. I image one could just change the string in a lua file to be 'Neutral evil' and it would register with the space and capital. At least, that's what it seems from the other conditions and tags I've seen in lua files.
None of the conditions can use multiple words, "flat-footed" works with the hyphen but not with a space, so perhaps "neutral-evil" could be used instead. The case of the condition label doesn't matter (it used to - it doesn't now) - so you can type in the condition and IFT conditional effect however you like (in terms of case). In the extension attached above you could use NeutralEvil, NEUTRALEVIL, nEUTRALeVil - you get the idea. But, I agree with you - it is a better idea to not have a single word, when I literally threw the extension together I hadn't investigated further but presumed it would only be a single word based off the condition code. I'll change the extension tomorrow to use a hyphen.

NOTE: Idiosyncrasies of the IFT conditional code will return true if the condition listed after the IFT: tag is not a valid condition in the ruleset. So when you use IFT make sure the condition listed after IFT: is a valid condition from the ruleset.

Nickademus
February 19th, 2014, 23:33
Thanks.

So this means that effects no longer need tags like 'SKILL' to be all caps, or is this just for the conditions variable?

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 23:42
So this means that effects no longer need tags like 'SKILL' to be all caps, or is this just for the conditions variable?
Effect tags still need to be all in upper case. It is just the condition labels that are not case sensitive.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 23:55
Updated extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20505-Alignment-Condition-extension&p=168812

macphil
February 20th, 2014, 15:20
Just add 2 separate effects:

CE damage; DMG:1d6
LE damage; DMG:2d6

Then apply whichever one you need just before you roll damage.

I can't think of a way of having an effect that will just trigger on the alignment of the target.

There is an undocumented IFT effect (If Target has a condition), but this is only linked to predetermined conditions defined in the ruleset.

e.g. IFT: stunned; DMG:1d6

This would be applied to the creature rolling damage and would mean that if the target of the damage roll had the "stunned" condition there would be an additional 1d6 damage rolled.

So, in theory, if "ChaoticEvil" was added as a condition to the ruleset you could use:

IFT: chaoticevil; DMG:1d6

But, the alignment would need to be added as a condition in the ruleset you are using (PFRPG or 3.5E?) to the "conditions" list in the \scripts\data_common.lua script.

Which ruleset are you using?

Tryed this last night and it worked great. It was funny if I forgot to put the effect tag on the monsters , my old time player were like seen when was that monster not evil. It took a couple of rooms to get used to tagging the monsters before they start combat. Is there a way to tag the monster with the effect before they get in the combat tracker, like in the encounter field that puts the monsters in the combat tracker ?? I want to thank you for helping me out with this. My players and me have been playing D & D for over 30 years and some have moved and fg has worked so well.

Trenloe
February 20th, 2014, 15:31
Tryed this last night and it worked great. It was funny if I forgot to put the effect tag on the monsters , my old time player were like seen when was that monster not evil. It took a couple of rooms to get used to tagging the monsters before they start combat. Is there a way to tag the monster with the effect before they get in the combat tracker, like in the encounter field that puts the monsters in the combat tracker ?? I want to thank you for helping me out with this. My players and me have been playing D & D for over 30 years and some have moved and fg has worked so well.
I've just released a version of the extension specific to PFRGP (v0.3) that auto adds the alignment condition for NPCs when they are added to the combat tracker. It only does it for NPCs as that is a repeatable value at the start of the NPC type, e.g. "CE Huge outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)" - the extension will read the "CE" alignment and add "Chaotic-Evil", Chaotic" and "Evil" to the NPC in the combat tracker.

For PCs you'd need to add the alignment conditions manually - that's if you will be using IFT conditions on NPCs I assume. As the alignment field in the PC sheet is a free form field I haven't made an effort to parse out all possible permutations of LG, Lawful Good, Lawful-Good, L Good, etc... As PCs are usually put in the Combat Tracker just once and then stay there I didn't see this as a major issue.

Give me new extension a go (the PFRPG specific one) and let me know. :)