PDA

View Full Version : How Complete is BRP?

Michael Hopcroft
February 13th, 2014, 04:15
I'm wondering just how much of the BRP BGB rules are covered in the ruleset -- and how well that coverage works with version 3. Are there any features of the game that won't be handled properly -- mainly subsystems that are rarely used like Superpowers.

If BRP is a Version 1 ruleset, I wonder if it will even work at all.

Moon Wizard
February 13th, 2014, 06:34
I'm not familiar with BRP myself; but it looks like the ruleset currently in the store was built in 2010 time frame. So, I'm guessing that it supports the core character/NPC sheet rules from the version available at that time. Someone who uses or has worked on the BRP ruleset may be able to provide more info.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
February 13th, 2014, 14:44
The Ruleset in the store is a great start.. but it does lack several of the features now found in FG, in addition to some basic BRP functionality. It needs some updating but can still be used for a great game.

Michael Hopcroft
February 22nd, 2014, 01:30
I imagine updating the BRP ruleset is not as a high a priority as -- well, as most other priorities for revisions for 3.0. I'm not sure it's even used all that often by GMs.

That said, I did buy a copy, as well as a copy of the M&M kit. Maybe I will get to do something with it.

With Call of Cthulhu going to percentile attributes in 7th Edition....

Michael Hopcroft
March 1st, 2014, 02:51
It just do happens that my collection of D100 games has grown by leaps and bounds. The current Bundle of Holding includes Clockwork & Chivalry, an OpenQuest Engine game about al alternative version of the English Civil War (from Britain), and that also inspired me to pick up the same publisher's core set Renaissance, both in PDF. Then I get a call from a local store saying they have my copy of Runequest 6 and can I please pick it up sometime in the next week?

This must pose a dilemma for SmiteWorks if they even have it in mind. All these games are, as far as core systems are concerned, BRP with the serial numbers filed off. They are also built around the BRP-based content that Mongoose put into Open Content with their first Runequest game. But because they license BRP from Chaosium, I imagine they can't permit someone to update it on their own to make it compatible with 3.0 and/or the MRQ-based games. Chaosium could, I suppose, open it up somewhat if they go into the process of having the ruleset revised for 3.0, but is it used or profitable enough to be worth their trouble?

Michael Hopcroft
March 7th, 2014, 04:57
I just re-read my last post, several days after the fact/ Oy, I must have been tired when I wrote that. It's barely coherent!

Let me find a different way to phrase it -- what would be required, from a user standpoint, to make the BRP set support a game like Clockwork & Chivalry or Runequest 6?

Valarian
March 7th, 2014, 06:35
The BRP ruleset works in the current version. It's not got all the automated features of 4e & 3.5e - but is that necessary? I think the library modules could be laid out better. For other games, you can create a game extension using the in-built game system customisation. I've done some of this for a Star Trek customised BRP based on FASA's Star Trek Roleplaying Game.

RosenMcStern
March 10th, 2014, 11:04
Let me find a different way to phrase it -- what would be required, from a user standpoint, to make the BRP set support a game like Clockwork & Chivalry or Runequest 6?

I think the [sad] answer is: to wait until the ruleset is upgraded to the new CoreRPG foundation. This will make things easier for modders. Much easier.

Valarian
March 10th, 2014, 11:42
The game options for BRP can be tailored fairly easily with the current ruleset. This includes skills, include sanity as a hit point counter, the attribute names. I've recently got the Clockwork & Chivalry game, so I'll see if I can have a look at the differences. If someone's familiar with the OpenQuest differences to standard BRP and can summarise, that would be useful.

There's sample customisation extension files in the BRP ruleset folder.

chillybilly
April 28th, 2014, 19:07
Any idea when/if this ruleset will be upgraded? With the combat tracker not working, it's a waste of $28. This is the first purchase I've made with FG that has me pretty unhappy. I'm not sure why they are charging money for it doesn't really work and there's no support.

I've actually got better support from people on some free extensions than this set I paid money for.

damned
April 28th, 2014, 23:44
Any idea when/if this ruleset will be upgraded? With the combat tracker not working, it's a waste of $28. This is the first purchase I've made with FG that has me pretty unhappy. I'm not sure why they are charging money for it doesn't really work and there's no support.

I've actually got better support from people on some free extensions than this set I paid money for.

Are you sure Combat Tracker doesnt work? There are still plenty of people using BRP on FG3...

chillybilly
April 29th, 2014, 00:00
My players cannot see status effects of NPCs, they cannot see hit points, etc. Also, errors pop up when the GM enters status effects onto the combat tracker.

It basically makes this ruleset unplayable. I've posted in this part of the forum and the House of Healing without any kind of response from Fantasy Grounds so I think they realize it's broken and have just decided to ignore it.

It's difficult to believe because they are so incredibly responsive on all other facets. I've had nothing but wonderful things to say about this product but, yeah, this ruleset was a bad investment.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2014, 00:15
My players cannot see status effects of NPCs, they cannot see hit points, etc. Also, errors pop up when the GM enters status effects onto the combat tracker.
I'm not sure if the player view of the Combat Tracker was ever designed to show NPC details beyond name and DEX.

The error you're seeing is certainly annoying... :(

chillybilly
April 29th, 2014, 00:31
I do appreciate the response, thank you!

Is there anything you can point me to that might help me fix the combat tracker or even modify it so players can see status effects? Actually, I dno't care if they see everything the GM see.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2014, 06:53
Is there anything you can point me to that might help me fix the combat tracker or even modify it so players can see status effects? Actually, I dno't care if they see everything the GM see.
Open scripts\combattracker_entry.lua and find the following entry:

-- stats values (hp/pp)
if PreferenceManager.load(Preferences.CombatTracker.S howStatsPref)==Preferences.Yes and tp=="pc" then
hp.setVisible(true);
wounds.setVisible(true);
pp.setVisible(true);
else
hp.setVisible(isowner);
wounds.setVisible(isowner);
pp.setVisible(isowner);
end
Comment out the above code and add the following:

-- added to show info to players
hp.setVisible(true);
wounds.setVisible(true);
pp.setVisible(true);
This will show the HP, Wounds and PP for all entries in the combat tracker to both the players and GM.

I'm working on the combattracker Unable to create window error when an effect is added.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2014, 07:15
I'm working on the combattracker Unable to create window error when an effect is added.
The issue is that the code that is creating a new effect window is being allowed to run on the player side, when it should only run on the GM.

Open scripts\combattracker_effects.lua and change the checkForEmpty() function to be as follows (the additions are added in red):

function checkForEmpty()
if User.isHost() then
if not disablecheck then
local found = false;
for k, v in ipairs(getWindows()) do
if v.label.getValue() == "" then
found = true;
break;
end
end
if not found then
disablecheck = true;
local w = createWindow();
disablecheck = false;
end
end
end
end
This only runs the code on the GM side and so avoids the error appearing on the player side when a GM adds a new effect.

chillybilly
April 29th, 2014, 12:40
Trenloe, I can't thank you enough for this work you did.

Not only me but my players who are very excited about this campaign I'm running (which really needed this ruleset because it was so easy to customize to fit the rules). I would have never been able to figure this CT stuff out on my own. I know you probably get thanked for your coding expertise and time spent fixing other people's problems but please believe me when I tell you that you've made a real difference for me and my players.

Thanks very much once again!

damned
April 29th, 2014, 13:22
Trenloe is a bit of a star....

Now - its time for you and your players to sign up for one of the BRP sessions running at FG Con.

Serenity/Firefly https://www.fg-con.com/events/uh-what-was-that/
Star Frontiers https://www.fg-con.com/events/star-frontiers-brp/

Remember - until you login and set your timezone all events are shown in UTC.
Login and set your timezone and all games will be shown in your timezone.

chillybilly
April 29th, 2014, 14:32
Yes, he really is. He's helped me out before. In fact, I "must spread some reputation around before giving it to him again."