PDA

View Full Version : Connection History turns 4 magic words into IP addresses

d1wright
February 11th, 2014, 02:59
Prior to 3.x my Connection History magic words didn't convert to IP addresses after connecting. I find it hard to match my games with the IP addresses and this could be an issue if the IP address of the host machine changed at a future date.

Is this supposed to happen?

d1wright magic word catch cold

Disappears after a successful host connection and all I see in my Connection History is:

d1wright 123.123.123.123

Not sure if this was a "feature" that was introduced, unintentional, or my installation is wacked.

Thanks.

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 03:41
Reported this back in August (version 2.9.4 at the time). Got this response after 3 pages of discussion:

I haven't been able to recreate this locally in order to pinpoint what might be causing the IP to be saved instead of the alias. I've reviewed the relevant launcher code, and I didn't see anything that looked like it would do this.

I'm open to ideas on what is unique on the player machines that have the issue.

Regards,
JPG

d1wright
February 11th, 2014, 03:48
I do have quite a few connections in my connection history that cycle randomly as games get connected and such. Perhaps it may also have to do with which history's were created prior to 2.9.4.

When I get a chance, I'll dump the registry for them and add them anew to see if the symptoms persist.

Thanks.

Blackfoot
February 14th, 2014, 06:44
This problem seems to occur when the client is disconnected for some reason in mid session. It does not 'always' seem to happen but it often does when there is some sort of connection loss.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2014, 07:44
Hmm, good info. I tried killing the process and reconnecting, as well as pulling network cable and reconnecting; but I couldn't get it to happen for me. If anyone can give me steps to reproduce, I'll nip this one.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
February 14th, 2014, 17:04
Are you trying this using localhost? I have had this happen many times but I don't believe it has ever happened when I was connecting to myself.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2014, 18:23
I used 2 separate machines on same local network. I connected using alias.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
February 14th, 2014, 18:41
I might suggest... rather than tracking down this bug.. there's a better solution/time invested option...
Alter the login screen to allow for 'saved' addresses. This was a standard thing back in my MUD days.. You would save a handle, a site and other connection information to a unique 'name' which was sorted by last used or whatever... since these things held minimal amounts of data you could save however many of them without issue... and then just pull them up from a list similar to what we have now... and of course you'd need an 'edit' option to change the information if it should change for some reason.

d1wright
February 14th, 2014, 19:14
I actually had used a "localhost" connection in my list if that added anything but I like the unexpected disconnect theory. I have also been disconnected from both ends and will try to keep track if that appears to be the suspect and whether my end crashed and whether the gm crashed and my end tried a host reconnection sequence and failed or succeeded.

I did actually have a few that had NOT been converted to IP addresses in the list so it wasn't an overall swap to IP addresses. Maybe I've just never been disconnected while using that alias.

I like the user edit list of connections as well. Especially with a nickname so I can remember which each of them is for.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20227-Nickname-feature-for-launcher-under-joining-games&highlight=nickname

Went and added a request to the wishlist.

https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=81247