PDA

View Full Version : Hollow's Last Hope - PFRPG Game - Looking for Players for wednesday game

Wintermute
February 10th, 2014, 00:03
Hollow's Last Hope (Gamemastery Module D0)

The plague has come to the town of Falcon’s Hollow, and not even the town’s priest can abate its wretched course. With the coughs of the sick and the wails of the dying echoing through town, the local herbalist uncovers a cure, but she needs some brave heroes to retrieve the ingredients. Finding the cure means risking the dangerous Darkmoon Vale, infiltrating a witch’s haunted hut, and delving the ruins of an abandoned dwarven monastery.

Session Day and Time: Game will be on wednesday, start time will be decided in the forum and will be based on EST.
Fantasy Grounds license: Ultimate
Chat Type: Teamspeak server teamspeak.fg-con.com, password Dungeoneers
Server: ugly turrent able gate

Need Three (3) more 1st level adventurers for this module. Point Buy: Epic Fantasy, 25 Points.

If players are interested, we can use this as the prelude to Crown of the Kobold King (Gamemastery Module D1). It's been awhile since I have been behind the screen. I may be a little rusty so patience is appreciated.

Nickademus
February 10th, 2014, 00:07
It would seem my Wednesday game was cancelled so I'm good for this. I work during the daytime EST so my vote is for an evening game.

JohnD
February 10th, 2014, 00:09
Done.

Tymire
February 10th, 2014, 06:42
Sure put me down, and evenings work best here also.

Think will run a pally.

ThePirateKing
February 10th, 2014, 10:30
I'm interested if there is still an opening.

KingofKlubs
February 10th, 2014, 11:09
Times would be nice

JohnD
February 11th, 2014, 04:58
My PC and accompanying animal companion.

Wintermute
February 11th, 2014, 05:01
Loaded

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 07:12
I see a pally, a cleric, and a cavalier in the party already. That could be a whole lot of righteousness... Anyone opposed to a less moral character in the party? Could make for good roleplay, but I don't want to play anything that would cause actual strife to players.

ThePirateKing
February 11th, 2014, 07:29
Well, I plan to play a cleric of Pharasma, so I won't have the same morals as a paladin.

here's my character

JohnD
February 11th, 2014, 11:18
I am not all that familiar with the setting, so have little background knowledge of what backgrounds or deities conflict with a Paladin, but looking forward to this... hopefully it works out.

Might post a little bit about Palin, but depends on whether the PCs know each other at the start or whether we are flung together by circumstance/necessity. The former there is some others might have observed, the latter, nothing much.

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 15:45
Paladins in Pathfinder are identical to 2E and 3.xE paladins. Must be good, must be lawful. Any break and they lose their class abilities until they atone.

On second thought, I won't play Ryliss. He just doesn't work well with a paladin in the party. We could use a caster but Slaad is a bit overpowered. Maybe I'll throw together a new build since we have a week.

ThePirateKing
February 11th, 2014, 15:51
Thinking about your bloatmage there nick?

JohnD
February 11th, 2014, 16:30
Paladins in Pathfinder are identical to 2E and 3.xE paladins. Must be good, must be lawful. Any break and they lose their class abilities until they atone.

On second thought, I won't play Ryliss. He just doesn't work well with a paladin in the party. We could use a caster but Slaad is a bit overpowered. Maybe I'll throw together a new build since we have a week.

Yeah, know that much, was more from the deity side - they're all just names to me, no meaning in the environment.

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 17:14
Yeah, know that much, was more from the deity side - they're all just names to me, no meaning in the environment.

Meh, carbon copy Greyhawk with subtle changes.

Iomedae is a female Heironeus; Pharasma is Wee Jas without as much focus on magic; Desna is Istus and Fharlanghn combined; Gozreh is Obad-hai; Nethys is Boccob with split personality disorder; etc.

Thinking about your bloatmage there nick?

It's a thought. A bit too powerful though. I don't think these old modules pack the punch modern adventure paths do. I could pull out Nathan but he's a bit OP as well (magus). I'll wait to see what everyone else plays and build something to fill in the gap. Right now I'm seeing a need for AoE for swarms and mooks.

Tymire
February 11th, 2014, 17:42
Actually was going to modify a PFS character that has been sitting around collecting dust that doesn’t get enough use.

But the pally won’t be a standard one and will either get along fabulously with the cleric, or they will hate either with a passion as their gods are quite a like.

Fell in love and had to make a paladin based on https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Tsukiyo . Just to make things even worse (or better depending on your view) decided to go tiefling and will be taking levels of ninja =P.

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 17:47
A Tian tiefling ninja paladin.... maybe I will play Ryliss. *smirk*

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 17:52
Point buy is 25.

What is the ruling on resource access and starting gold? I tend to use a lot of Pathfinder Companion and Campaign Setting books when making characters (nothing 3rd-party).

I have a backstory for Ryliss if you are intersted. I'd rather not post it here though as some tricksy players might read it. :O

Tymire
February 11th, 2014, 19:20
Should have checked to see how Wintermute views paladins though. Some folks think they need to be goody goody two shoes that match up with the perfect shining knight. Imo they are at least partially based on culture and the god in question. Faiths of Purity has a couple pages that are awesome describing the codes of different gods. There is a big difference between a paladin of say Shelyn and one of Torag.

For a blood/bloatmage don't see a RP problem unless you are using innocents to power spells, as you are just sacrificing part of yourself.

The biggest issue I see so far (haven't ran into one before) is the Cavalier. Jin is going to have to be convinced to help if the Palin (Cavalier) issues a challenge. In fact he will probably see a bloatmage as being more honorable than issuing a challenge and not keeping to single combat. =P

But please no obvious purposeful evil acts, it's one thing to RP minor issues, however it's something else to metagame coming up with a reason NOT to have to kill another character when the line has been crossed....

JohnD
February 11th, 2014, 19:54
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't the point of the Cavalier's challenge for the combat to be one-on-one? Palin wouldn't want anyone to help against that specifc foe as it would be dishonourable to him. Admittedly experience with the PF version is non-existant, mostly going on the character concept I have in my head and found that the Cavalier, member of the Order of the Shield, fits best.

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 21:09
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't the point of the Cavalier's challenge for the combat to be one-on-one? Palin wouldn't want anyone to help against that specifc foe as it would be dishonourable to him. Admittedly experience with the PF version is non-existant, mostly going on the character concept I have in my head and found that the Cavalier, member of the Order of the Shield, fits best.

I have limited experience with cavaliers, but from what I know the challenge is between you and the enemy you challenge, not necessarily one-on-one. Meaning that you get bonuses against that enemy and take penalties against other enemies but the challenge doesn't prevent others from attacking your challenge nor does it give them any bonuses. Statistically, if you use your challenge on a BBEG where the bonus would help you the most, you would probably die trying to fight solo an enemy that is intended to challenge a party of four characters.

Should have checked to see how Wintermute views paladins though. Some folks think they need to be goody goody two shoes that match up with the perfect shining knight. Imo they are at least partially based on culture and the god in question. Faiths of Purity has a couple pages that are awesome describing the codes of different gods. There is a big difference between a paladin of say Shelyn and one of Torag.

For a blood/bloatmage don't see a RP problem unless you are using innocents to power spells, as you are just sacrificing part of yourself.

The bloatmage, Slaad, isn't the issue. Nor will I be playing him as he saps the fun out of the game due to being too uber. I'll be playing Ryliss, a caster specialized in charm and domination magic. Personally, I find it hard not to view spells like Dominate Person as anything but evil even though it doesn't have the evil descriptor. At the very least, it can present conflict with classes who are built around pressing their beliefs on other party members (no offense, but the paladin literally has a game mechanic that requires this).

Though Tian Xia has an established class system which structures society. So the idea of forcing obedience may seem more like opposing chaos and promoting structure than the removal of a being's free will.

At any rate, Ryliss is no more evil than the spells he casts (none of which technically have the evil descriptor). So I guess the question for a paladin is how much RP do you put into justifying your beliefs compared to a neutral-dominant world. I never like playing paladins because of this.

Tymire
February 11th, 2014, 22:46
At the very least, it can present conflict with classes who are built around pressing their beliefs on other party members (no offense, but the paladin literally has a game mechanic that requires this).

Yes, but the game mechanic only affects the paladin and isn't an issue in games if they are mostly good aligned (tbh though I hate the alignment system in d&d, Rifts/Palladium does it so much better). It really depends on the players, personally I despise "The Prick" definition listed in https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2k9xc?Thallins-Guide-To-Paladins.

It probably will depend on what you use your charms/dominates for *shrug*. If you use them to get every bar maid into the sack he would probably think it's sad you need to use powers, your a barbarian, and possibly might warn them off or tell her father and 5 brothers about it. If you use them to turn evil critters/people around a fight, he wouldn't care as they are going to die anyway.

Besides it can make for some fun RPing.

Nickademus
February 11th, 2014, 22:53
I'm glad to hear you say that. My experience is similar to that thead: 90% are The Prick. I think it's sad when I feel I have to walk on eggshells or build my character a certain way to accommodate someone else's choice of paladin.

I don't foresee any problem then between Ryliss and Jin. He might even appreciate him warped sense of morals and views on society, since he is highly lawful in a sense.

(I don't know about that cleric though....) :P

SheerANONYMOUS
February 12th, 2014, 00:52
I'd be interested in joining, so long as the game starts after 7 PM. I have a half-red dragon barbarian I've been toying with.

Wintermute
February 12th, 2014, 04:07
Wow, you've all been busy today. Nickademus starting gold is 150. I have the PDFs of the Pathfinder Companion and Campaign Setting books, but to be honest I am not familiar with them. Hero Lab is nice, but it gets expensive so I haven't purchased those modules yet. So I haven't fully explored them yet. However I am open to any needed/recommended concept. Just tell me what ya need.

It looks like you all have worked out the paladin & cavalier. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to discuss it beforehand. Character conflicts can sometimes add to the excitement of the game in the right set of circumstances. Most times, they just end up destroying everyone's enjoyment. It's been a while since I have DMed, so thanks for not springing this on me in game. :)

The following characters have been loaded into the server: Zermek, Windheim, Palin O'Daul and Deja. I will start leaving the server up starting 2/13. The server will be up the majority of the time, if it's not just msg or skype me and I can put it up. This is my work machine, so periods of downtime should be expected. :)

And one request, could everybody who used herolab send me a pdf of the Standard Character Sheet, Abilities and Gear Description, and Spells - Full Descriptions. Thanks.

Wintermute
February 12th, 2014, 04:08
SheerAnonymous, we're full right now, but if something changes, we'll give ya a shout.

JohnD
February 12th, 2014, 04:52
Where would you like those files sent?

Wintermute
February 12th, 2014, 05:06
you can email them to me if you want. onyxblackburn at gmail dot com

Thanks

JohnD
February 12th, 2014, 18:15
I will try to connect the evening of the 13th just for a few minutes to get everything squared away with Palin and his horse. Probably will be after 9 PM Central.

Will likely provide exported PDFs via email at that time as well.

ugly turrent able gate

JohnD
February 13th, 2014, 04:00
Quick question; do all the characters know each other before play starts or are we thrust together through necessity?

xKrisx
February 13th, 2014, 06:01
What happened to the game?

ThePirateKing
February 13th, 2014, 08:43
It's not til next Wednesday.

JohnD
February 13th, 2014, 12:47
Can people put in their character information into the campaign page? Difficult to know what we have without that or indications in here.

xKrisx
February 13th, 2014, 17:27
Playing a Wizard. But Ill post it in there.

xKrisx
February 13th, 2014, 17:45
Did I get bumped from the Game? I see ThePirateKing, Nickademus, Tymire, JohnD, Wintermute in the Yes column where the players were. I thought I had a spot..?

JohnD
February 13th, 2014, 19:06
That's where you vote yes or no for whether or not you can make the proposed game date/time. You haven't voted yet.

You are in the player list farther down, at least on my side.

EDIT: not sure if JerryRig is supposed to be accepted or not but he's still sitting in the player list as "Pending" status. I personally don't think six is too large of a group.

xKrisx
February 13th, 2014, 19:16
Right. I just saw that and also my 1st time really using it

JohnD
February 13th, 2014, 19:26
Right. I just saw that and also my 1st time really using it

No worries! :)

Everyone has to learn sometime... here's to a great game.

biomage
February 14th, 2014, 00:41
I ran Hallow's Last Hope last summer and am currently running the Crown of the Kobold King. I made a battlemap for Droskar's Crucible that is bigger than the one in the module. I have a few other things that I created as well. Let me know know if you need any help.

JohnD
February 14th, 2014, 00:45
Wintermute, can you confirm the alias for your server please? Unable to connect with what you provided in your OP.

Wintermute
February 14th, 2014, 03:43
JohnD, characters will not know one another before hand.

JohnD
February 14th, 2014, 04:44
Perhaps we are missing a rogue type? Not that Palin endorses such behaviours....

Wintermute
February 14th, 2014, 15:09
Here's the correct server information: ugly turret able gate

Nickademus
February 15th, 2014, 01:03
I sent an email with the information about my character that you wanted to know (what resources outside the core books I was using). Did you receive it?

Dr Jones
February 15th, 2014, 16:41
Is the game full? Is there a waiting list?

Thanks!

Wintermute
February 16th, 2014, 01:03
Nickademus - I got your email. Everything is good to go. One heck of a backstory.

Wintermute
February 16th, 2014, 01:05
Dr Jones, We are full but I'll add you to the waiting list.

Nickademus
February 16th, 2014, 01:55
Here you go.

Wintermute
February 16th, 2014, 02:19
Thanks, Ryliss is loaded on the server. Do you have a portrait you want to use?

Dr Jones
February 16th, 2014, 02:42
Great, Thanks!

Nickademus
February 16th, 2014, 02:49
I do have a portrait. I thought FG looked at my folder when I was to choose a portrait. Would giving it to you even matter?

Edit: Set Ryliss up and chose his portrait already.

xKrisx
February 17th, 2014, 00:27
Can you please confirm the players Winter. I am kind of confused as to who is playing. I did a character up with you and never see you on Skype any more

Nickademus
February 17th, 2014, 00:56
Players are:
ThePirateKing
Nickademus
Tymire
JohnD
xKrisx

... according to the calendar, all active. The server should be up still. Hop in and see if your character is loaded.

ThePirateKing
February 17th, 2014, 01:55
Yeah, pretty much on the list of players on the calendar, if your status is "Active" instead of "pending" you are in the game.

JohnD
February 19th, 2014, 04:20
Assuming we're all still good to go for tomorrow night?

xKrisx
February 19th, 2014, 04:39
Yes :)

Wintermute
February 19th, 2014, 12:54
Yes we are good to go. See you all at 7. The server will be up all day for anyone wanting to make final changes.

JohnD
February 19th, 2014, 21:18
Just confirming that the start time is supposed to be 7 Eastern, not 8 as previously/earlier discussed?

Wintermute
February 19th, 2014, 21:29
Yes, 7pm EST

Wintermute
February 25th, 2014, 16:24
Just wanted to check and see if everyone was going to make it for this wednesday's game at 7pm EST?

Nickademus
February 25th, 2014, 19:21
I am.

xKrisx
February 25th, 2014, 19:58
Can we start an hour or two earlier by chance? My girl has a night off from the kids and was going to come over Wednesday evening. If we can start earlier that would be pretty awesome.

ThePirateKing
February 25th, 2014, 20:12
I'm good to go for tomorrow.

JohnD
February 26th, 2014, 17:00
duplicate

JohnD
February 26th, 2014, 17:01
6 PM Central is a good hour before I am usually home from work and home errands. I initially thought the start time would be 7 PM Central, which, on average is still occasionally a bit of a challenge for my personal work/home situation, but usually quite manageable.

I foresee that this is obviously an issue and I don't want to be "that guy" who is unreliable, so I will step aside in favour of someone else who can make the planned start time.

Feel free to use my PC, or not, as you will. I hope you guys all have a great game/campaign going forward.

kwarner1986
March 5th, 2014, 00:20
If you need an extra character I can join in Wednesday. I don't work that day so I'm good with anytime and I'll fill in a group need.

Wintermute
March 12th, 2014, 02:13
Hey guys. I am going to have to work late on 3/12 and will have to postphone the game this week. We are still good to go on 3/19. Sorry for the late notice.

Nickademus
March 12th, 2014, 02:19
*nods*

Wintermute
March 18th, 2014, 22:45
Hey guys, I am good to go for tomorrow games, just wanted to let everyone know. :)

Nickademus
March 18th, 2014, 22:58
Great to hear.

Tymire
March 26th, 2014, 22:23
Probably going to be running late tonight. Your welcome to use character if you wish till I get there.

Wintermute
March 27th, 2014, 00:42
We're looking for an additional player. PM if your interested.

Blackfoot
March 27th, 2014, 15:37
Is this game full? I'd be interested in a slot.

Samzagas
March 27th, 2014, 23:46
Posting interest to fill the slots as advertised in the other post.
Just tell me what kind of character are you missing.

SheerANONYMOUS
April 1st, 2014, 23:54
Here are two versions of my character; one is half-dragon, and the other is the same, but without the half dragon template. I'd prefer to play the half dragon, but it's your call.

ThePirateKing
April 2nd, 2014, 08:45
Don't know why'd you want to play a half-dragon in a 3rd lv. campaign. wouldn't that make you only have 1 class lv due to the adjustment?

Nickademus
April 2nd, 2014, 09:16
Pathfinder doesn't have half-dragons.

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2014, 13:20
Pathfinder doesn't have half-dragons.
SheerANONYMOUS mentions it's a template, this one I guess: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/half-dragon

SheerANONYMOUS
April 2nd, 2014, 16:35
Pathfinder does have a half dragon template, and as far as I can tell (using Hero Lab), there is no level adjustment for it, at least as far as class levels. I'd still have an above average CR though. And even so, Fantasy Grounds doesn't appear to have a template or level adjustment system, so it would still start me off at level one.

Nickademus
April 2nd, 2014, 17:11
That link lists no source. I looked through the Bestiaries before posting and saw no half-dragon template. That is simply a third-party template, not Pathfinder. But you are asking the GM whether to use it so no problem there.

Still, in response to Pirate's comment, there is no level adjustment in PF for the half-dragon template since PF doesn't have a half-dragon template. The GM may what to enforce the 3.5E level adjustment but then PF is a bit more powerful than 3.5E so maybe only a +1 or +0 level adjustment.

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2014, 17:28
That link lists no source. I looked through the Bestiaries before posting and saw no half-dragon template. That is simply a third-party template, not Pathfinder.
Bestiary 1: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/halfDragon.html#_half-dragon The template is further down in the description.

Nickademus
April 2nd, 2014, 17:32
I see, it's not in the template section. Good to know there are more.

Blackfoot
April 3rd, 2014, 04:48
Personally, I would never allow a player to take that template in a regular game though.. it is very unbalanced. It would skew things for all the other players.

Nickademus
April 3rd, 2014, 09:15
I'm not sure PCs can even take templates. But in the end, the player didn't use the half-dragon and was still the strongest barbarian in the party. Keep trying Darren. *snicker*

SheerANONYMOUS
April 4th, 2014, 03:26
Aww, you beat me to it. But, yeah, I had another GM say the half-dragon template in PF wasn't really meant for humans. That said, I do have (the same) half dragon character and back up in another game I'm part of, and the stats I rolled for that game allowed me to balance her out so she isn't a billion times stronger than everyone else (breath weapon non withstanding). But at the end of the day, whatever happens is up to the DM/GM, and that's the last I have to say on the matter.

SheerANONYMOUS
April 5th, 2014, 20:58
Do you remember how we set up Rage and Power Attacks?

Nickademus
April 16th, 2014, 17:54
Just a reminder, no game tonight.

Wintermute
May 27th, 2014, 02:47
I'm going to have to cancel the game on Wednesday, May 28th. I hate to say that but work calls. We will resume on June 4 at the regular time. Sorry guys.

Fallen_SHadows
May 28th, 2014, 15:35
hey i'd be interest if there is still an opening cause i've just got the wednesday off college til the end of the term and then i'm free for all week for a while and anytime suits me really i play a chaotic neutral halfling rogue

Nickademus
May 28th, 2014, 22:53
I'm going to have to cancel the game on Wednesday, May 28th. I hate to say that but work calls. We will resume on June 4 at the regular time. Sorry guys.

Thanks for the heads-up.

SheerANONYMOUS
June 24th, 2014, 18:09
I may not be on tomorrow night. I plan on going into the city in the morning for an open casting call for Fox's upcoming show Gotham, and I'm trying to arrange to hang out with a friend afterwards. So, if I'm on, I'm on, otherwise, see you next week.

Wintermute
June 25th, 2014, 02:44
No problem. I am going to have to move the game back to 7/2 anyway, work has been a real pain. Good luck with the casting call.

kwarner1986
June 25th, 2014, 21:38
See you guys next week.

Nickademus
June 26th, 2014, 14:02
I totally missed this last night. Work schedule changed and I forgot what day it was. That's a shame, I really enjoy this game. Hopefully everything will be good next week.

Edit: Apparently I didn't miss it after all. Must be part halfling...