PDA

View Full Version : From Savage Worlds to GURPS

Dayson
February 3rd, 2014, 19:44
I am a recent convert to GURPS, despite a brief flirtation several years back. Please do not misunderstand, I still love Savage Worlds, but I find that it cannot give me the rich Role Playing experience that I crave lately. Having played with a very experienced GURPS GM, I find GURPS superior for my current style and anticipate growing into it in the future.

seycyrus
February 3rd, 2014, 22:32
Greetings and welcome to FG! What version of Gurps did you play? The ruleset most supported is Gurps 4.0. I use gurps character creator to make characters, and then export them in a format usable by FG, using Saithan's tools. https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/

FG was just recently upgraded and we are all waiting with bated breath for the ruleset to be updated to full compatibility as well.

Dayson
February 4th, 2014, 03:27
Thank you! And yes we use GURPS 4.0 saithan's ruleset is perfect for playing GURPS on FGII.

Dr0W
February 16th, 2014, 17:00
I really love SW and Gurps, they're both my two favorite systems. I've gone the opposite direction tough, I haven't got the time and the patience to dedicate myself to a Gurps campaign (guess I'm just getting old). But I love how they both are generic systems without class or "character levels" :)

Dayson
February 16th, 2014, 17:21
I really love SW and Gurps, they're both my two favorite systems. I've gone the opposite direction tough, I haven't got the time and the patience to dedicate myself to a Gurps campaign (guess I'm just getting old). But I love how they both are generic systems without class or "character levels" :)
I agree with you. Savage Worlds, GURPS, and Hero systems all offer plenty of options for your campaigns. However, I would argue that each CAN flavor a campaign. Savage Worlds works best with pulpy action oriented campaigns. GURPS works best with detail oriented and gritty style campaigns. Hero works best with supers and godlike campaigns. I recognize that there are exceptions.

Dayson
March 16th, 2014, 16:35
I am trying my best to learn all three.

Hector Trelane
May 1st, 2014, 04:53
Funny, I can relate to this discussion. I have a fair number of GURPS *3rd* edition books from my high school and college days all lovingly (kind of) stored in the attic (which is not climate controlled...). I grew up on the GURPS precursors that Steve Jackson authored (Melee, Wizard, and eventually, The Fantasy Trip), so this was gospel to me in my younger years. After college I fell in with buddies who played White Wolf's (classic) World of Darkness and learned the virtues of that, despite my love of GURPS (which I thought brought some tactical tabletop fun to the fantasy combat).

Nowadays, reality (meaning lack of time) has set in, so I'm just happy to get a game, and FG2 allows me to connect with old friends. Since I *don't* have tons of time (nor the coding or art skills) to develop rules sets, I settled on Savage Worlds as a supported, flexible, quick/easy system to use. So far I like it (and am chipping away at hosting a World of Darkness/Savage Worlds Deadlands Noir hybrid chronicle).

That said, I acquired some fun old GURPS sourcebooks for GM/campaign world research, so after the above chronicle is launched, I'd LOVE to do a Rome/Celtic Myth GURPS campaign (and I have both books), along with a couple other ideas I'll keep behind the GM screen. However, I'm hoping that in the fullness of time the community will develop the GURPS rules sets so I can focus on the GMing. (Same idea goes for White Wolf WoD classic.) Dayson, I know what you mean about GURPS being better suited to achieve a certain style of play; I don't want pulp at all for Rome/Celtic Myth.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2014, 05:18
However, I'm hoping that in the fullness of time the community will develop the GURPS rules sets so I can focus on the GMing. (Same idea goes for White Wolf WoD classic.)
Keep an eye on this ruleset: www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19662-Vampire-the-Masquerade-Ruleset-for-FG3-alpha

Dayson
May 2nd, 2014, 03:04
Funny, I can relate to this discussion. I have a fair number of GURPS *3rd* edition books from my high school and college days all lovingly (kind of) stored in the attic (which is not climate controlled...). I grew up on the GURPS precursors that Steve Jackson authored (Melee, Wizard, and eventually, The Fantasy Trip), so this was gospel to me in my younger years. After college I fell in with buddies who played White Wolf's (classic) World of Darkness and learned the virtues of that, despite my love of GURPS (which I thought brought some tactical tabletop fun to the fantasy combat).

Nowadays, reality (meaning lack of time) has set in, so I'm just happy to get a game, and FG2 allows me to connect with old friends. Since I *don't* have tons of time (nor the coding or art skills) to develop rules sets, I settled on Savage Worlds as a supported, flexible, quick/easy system to use. So far I like it (and am chipping away at hosting a World of Darkness/Savage Worlds Deadlands Noir hybrid chronicle).

That said, I acquired some fun old GURPS sourcebooks for GM/campaign world research, so after the above chronicle is launched, I'd LOVE to do a Rome/Celtic Myth GURPS campaign (and I have both books), along with a couple other ideas I'll keep behind the GM screen. However, I'm hoping that in the fullness of time the community will develop the GURPS rules sets so I can focus on the GMing. (Same idea goes for White Wolf WoD classic.) Dayson, I know what you mean about GURPS being better suited to achieve a certain style of play; I don't want pulp at all for Rome/Celtic Myth.
Wonderful, you can definitely mix and match source books for your campaigns.

Dayson
April 25th, 2015, 14:19
I am amazed that there is not more activity on this thread. With so many GURPS fans out there, me being one, there should be plenty of comments. Saithan did a great job of providing this community a ruleset that lets us play anything we want.

Mask_of_winter
April 25th, 2015, 14:37
They're too busy playing Savage Worlds ;-)

Dayson
April 25th, 2015, 14:53
They're too busy playing Savage Worlds ;-)

There is room for both!
(Que up "Ebony and Ivory")

Mask_of_winter
April 25th, 2015, 15:04
Hehe Just teasing you buddy. I've been reading the Hellboy GURPS sourcebook.
How did your FG Con game go?

saithan
April 25th, 2015, 15:38
I been busy running my long running open world gurps deadlands game. sofar it has been a real blast.

seycyrus
April 25th, 2015, 19:03
Well, we just keep quietly playing!

What did you want to discuss? :)

Hector Trelane
April 26th, 2015, 13:32
What GURPS campaigns are out there underway right now? Could you host a one-shot or FG-Con game for we non-regulars to have a chance to get into the GURPs saddle once again? For GMing, do I have to enter everything except the character sheet?

Note that SJ Games signed a IP deal with play by post app Storium to allow official support for In Nomine. I wonder if they'd soften on GURPs?

seycyrus
April 26th, 2015, 16:09
What GURPS campaigns are out there underway right now? Could you host a one-shot or FG-Con game for we non-regulars to have a chance to get into the GURPs saddle once again?

I run a small game with my old high school/college friends. It's gritty fantasy, set in the Karameikos. We're not open to any newcomers at the moment, sorry.

For GMing, do I have to enter everything except the character sheet?

****EDIT: In hindsight, I think it is important to know that I have no knowledge or experience in modifying ANYTHING with FG.****

Well, Gurps has always been pretty light on the published modules side of things. From what I see of folks talking about DnD 5.0 with all the parsers and monster manual etc, I can say that Yes, the Gurps ruleset does NOT have any of that.

Since Gurps tends to modularize in terms of optional realism (basic set armor, low tech armor, instant armor anyone?), I can see that it would be a difficult problem in what is brought in and how. Not to mention all the alternate magic systems etc. I guess the first step would be to determine the additional "basics" that would be useful to have.

What were you thinking about having in addition to the character sheet?

I would find it useful to have the hit locations brought in, at least in terms of damage done to a PC/NPC. The combat tracker is great, but it is hard for me to remember, which of the 10 kobolds has a crippled hand, or a chopped off foot etc.

Note that SJ Games signed a IP deal with play by post app Storium to allow official support for In Nomine. I wonder if they'd soften on GURPs?

What does "official support" actually mean for play-by-post? What functionality is added?

Dayson
April 26th, 2015, 17:00
When I GM, I use Savage Worlds. Not because it is in any way superior to GURPS, just because I know it well enough. I can make a SW character in five minutes tops! All well and good. However, when I make a GURPS character, it takes me considerably longer, for two reasons. First, I am not an expert in GURPS. Secondly, there is so much more available to me. GURPS characters can be way more complex and rewarding. Both systems have much to recommend them.

Hector Trelane
April 29th, 2015, 04:18
What does "official support" actually mean for play-by-post? What functionality is added?

See here for info: https://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/February_16_2015/In_Nomine_For_Storium
https://storium.com/help/creating-a-game

I don't think functionality is added to Storium, but rather Storium's functionality can access SJ Games IP.

saithan
April 29th, 2015, 23:49
What GURPS campaigns are out there underway right now? Could you host a one-shot or FG-Con game for we non-regulars to have a chance to get into the GURPs saddle once again? For GMing, do I have to enter everything except the character sheet?

what type of genre or setting interests you?
the con it out of my schedule but I would be happy to host a one shot.

seycyrus
April 30th, 2015, 02:16
I don't think functionality is added to Storium, but rather Storium's functionality can access SJ Games IP.

Sorry for being slow. Can you give an example?

Hector Trelane
April 30th, 2015, 02:50
All kinds of genres... Perhaps a classic adventure from GURPs fantasy, or a scenario from Swashbuckler or Robin Hood if you have those?

A zombie survival scenario might work well too precisely *because* of the gritty nature of GURPs rules. What if PCs were normal citizens stuck with household implements and few or no proper weapons? What could they come up with? Just a few zombies could be a significant threat.

saithan
May 1st, 2015, 00:13
those are all great ideas. i'll get started. I'll message you with my contact info.

Dayson
June 22nd, 2015, 02:51
GURPS Lite 4.0 is my best friend. I take it everywhere with me. I high-lite the sections that I want to learn and go over them time and time again. If you are looking to learn GURPS this is the method that I definitely recommend.