PDA

View Full Version : Import PCGen characters to NPCs

Carthar
February 1st, 2014, 04:18
Greeting all. First post. Long time VTT user but new to FG2.

I'm looking to make a monster, for example a goblin with 3 levels of sorc in PCGen and then move it over to FG2.

It appears if I want to make this goblin sorc a PC it works quite nicely, PCGen export then FG2-PC import.

I just can't figure out how to make him an NPC. Can you convert PCs to NPCs or can I directly import into an NPC?

I normally play with a large amount of humanoid creatures with class levels, typically making a few new foes for each session. So making this semi automated is very desirable, especially with the high level spell casters I like to use.

I'm willing to change character creation programs if need be, I just am most familiar with PCGen.

Thanks,
Carth

Moon Wizard
February 1st, 2014, 04:52
The conversion tool provided with FG only handles PCs.

You can try this app that Trenloe on the forums created to import NPCs. It looks like it might be able to do what you want.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15475-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-Alpha-release

Regards,
JPG

SLB
February 1st, 2014, 06:50
I've used a tool call NPC Designer that has an export option to FG2 and is pretty decent for quickly creating a humanoid with PC levels. Made by a site called RPGattitude. Might work for you.

Trenloe
February 1st, 2014, 07:38
My first question would be are you looking to import Pathfinder or 3.5e NPCs?

The application Moon Wizard links to (developed by me) is specific to the Paizo NPC Statblock so is usually only used for parsing Pathfinder NPCs. You can export from PCGen a statblock and import using the creature parser - but you will have to do a little bit of editing of the statblock to make it conform to Paizo standards and therefore allow the creature parser to work properly - if you're familiar with the Paizo statblock format and follow the instructions in the creature parser thread post#1 you should be able to use it OK.

The app SLB links looks like it might be just for 3.5e NPCs. There is mention of a Pathfinder data set, but I don't think it is complete (but I could be wrong).

Carthar
February 1st, 2014, 20:42
Thanks for the advice guys:

I'm running Pathfinder.

I tried the NPC Designer SLB suggested, it has a pathfinder module. It looks pretty good, but it lacks the ability to really design a new BBEG. The gear and spells appear to be semi randomly selected. So I'm not sure this really suits my needs, might use it for general minions.

I've read through the Creature Parser discussion thread, installed it and tired it out. I've been playing with it for a few hours now and have yet to get it to work with PCGen's stat block. The stat blocks look like the examples given, but I keep getting lots of errors. I'll keep working at it. Does upper/lower case mess things up? Does the parser put spells onto the spell tab, or does it just list them in a text field.

How is everyone else making custom NPCs/monsters? Manual entry in FG2?

Carth

Trenloe
February 1st, 2014, 21:11
The stat blocks look like the examples given, but I keep getting lots of errors.
The best thing to do is look at the .fgf file created by the parser - this is an attempt at the parser to recognise the various fields and put them in specific headings. Do a quick stare-and-compare and you will often seen that the first few field are fine but then the wrong data is stored in certain fields and this will help to give you an idea of where there may be a problem with the statblock.

Unfortunately, the PCGen statblock does not fully comply with the Paizo statblock format - the usual area where issues occur with PCGen statblocks is that weapons are listed on multiple "Melee" or "Ranged" entries. This is not in the correct statblock format and the parser will not cope with multiple Melee or Ranged attack headings. Have a look at examples in the PRD bestiary for the correct format - a good example for multiple melee attacks is lizardfolk entry: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/lizardfolk.html#_lizardfolk

If I add a morningstar to a lizardfolk entry in PCGen I get 3 "Melee" entries, which the creature parser will not recognise:

Melee*morningstar*+2*(1d8+1)
Melee*claw*+2*(1d4+1)
Melee*bite*-1*(1d4+1)
Whereas the entry in the correct statblock (from the Paizo PRD) would be:

Melee morningstar +2 (1d8+1), bite +0 (1d4), or claw +2 (1d4+1), bite +2 (1d4+1)

Does the parser put spells onto the spell tab, or does it just list them in a text field.
The current release version just lists spells in the "other" tab. I am testing a v2.0 release of the parser that populates the "spells" tab with spell classes and spells.

Carthar
February 2nd, 2014, 00:02
Thanks Trenloe!

The melee and ranged being in reverse order was 90% of my problem. I also had some missing periods like post 122 had. Fixing those got it running.

Thanks so much for the help.

This is a crude solution for now, I don't like manually editing the txt files. I'll have to look at making a PCGen export that fixes the formatting issues. I'll share it if I get that working.

I'm looking forward to v2.0. Anything that speeds up prep work and automates NPCs is something I'm all for.

Carth

Carthar
February 24th, 2014, 01:46
Ok As promised I'm sharing what I have so far.

It is crude, but it does move over weapons, stats, saves and most importantly SPELLS!

The output sheet attached will output a NPC compatible file. However some post processing is needed until I get a working post processing program working. So you need to modualize it manually!

How to use:

Put the direct_deposit_v3.xml file in the PCgen outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml\ directory

Use PCgen to export your NPC with the direct_deposit_v3 output sheet.

Now Modualize:

Rename the file PCGen exported to db.xml

Then zip the definition.xml file (attached to post) with the db.xml file.

Rename the resulting zip file DirectDeposit.mod

Move the mod file into your FG mod directory.

Restart FG if it was running.

Go to library, modules and open the book called DirectDeposit.

NPC should be in your NPC list.

Make a copy of the NPC, if you plan on overwriting the module with an new NPC later.

Enjoy.

Carth

tseliger
February 26th, 2014, 21:04
Wow, cool! I need to test this!

Nylanfs
March 8th, 2014, 02:53
wrong thread

Carthar
March 8th, 2014, 03:50
I've made some advances and thought I'd share. I can now make and modulaize an NPC in one step. This seems to be the level of ease I was looking for. I've attached the program and output sheet. Instructions below:

The xml is the PCGen output sheet.

Put the xml -> ..\pcgen\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml\

Unzip the DirectDeposit.zip file to a new directory.

Open PCGen, load the pathfinder files and then go to the drop down box 'Tools' then 'preferences'

Find the 'output' and then find the spot called 'Post Export Command (Standard):'

The command line you need to enter is formatted like this:

c:\WhereYouPutTheZip\DD.exe "%" c:\WhereToOutput\

So the first section is calling the program to make the module. So you need the path you unzipped it to.

The "%" is a command for PCGen to tell the program what file it is exporting. So don't change this.

The last section is where to put the output. I use my FG module folder.

Now make your NPC in PCGen then:

File -> export
The sheet is under "standard"
choose: csheet_Fantasy_FG2_Direct_Deposit_v3.xml

You should get some prompts and then a message box telling you it worked.

Copy the mod file over to your FG2 mod folder if you didn't send it directly there.

Go into FG2 and then open the module. The NPC should show up in your NPC list. You may need to restart FG2 if it was open when you made the module.

I've had some strange things happen while working with NPCs from modules, so make a copy of it and then close the module.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Carth