PDA

View Full Version : Vertical character list

Moon Wizard
January 29th, 2014, 23:21
I'm posting this answer to a PM here, since I thought it might be useful to others. The question was whether the character list on the upper left of the desktop could be changed to grow vertically, instead of horizontally.

The desktop that you see is made up of a background graphic (framedef object) and a number of panel objects. Each panel object specifies the location of the panel on the desktop, as well as the windowclass object embedded in that panel. In most rulesets, these are defined in desktop/desktop_panels.xml; and the embedded desktop windowclasses are defined in desktop/desktop_classes.xml. The panel named "characterlist" is the one that holds the PC portraits displayed in the upper left of the desktop.

Here's a rough idea of the steps to take:

Modify the "chat" panel by moving it right (by modifying the X value of the bounds tag)
Modify the "characterlist" panel to have width=100 instead of height=100, and to have a bottom anchor instead of a right anchor.
Modify the "characterlist_entry" template to have a top relative anchor and a left fixed anchor, instead of the current top fixed anchor and left relative anchor.

I haven't tested this, but this is how I would start.

Regards,
JPG

GMTroll
January 30th, 2014, 20:23
I've been dabbling with CoreRPG, 3.5E and PFRPG ruleset try any understand how things work. So I thought I'd give this a shot. Literally followed Moon Wizards advise above so it's a little rough around the edges but demonstrates that it's possible.

The character list will appear on the left-hand side and the chat window has been shifted to the right.

[edit: this should work for CoreRPG, 3.5E and PFRPG. Possibility that it will work for other rulesets based on CoreRPG with a tweak to the extension.xml]