PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Phase ruleset - Where to start?

leetsepeak
January 25th, 2014, 08:22
So I should preface this with the fact that I am not a pro at this by any means and that the only thing I really have going for me is that I'll work obsessively to make something right. With that in mind, while I'm eagerly awaiting something like the Ruleset Wizard, I want to check on the possibility of making an Eclipse Phase ruleset, or at the very least, whether I should work by modifying say, the BRP ruleset or another ruleset as the basis for it.

I'll say first and foremost that I'm not actually all that interested in such a sheet having a lot of bells and whistles. At this point, I just want something that functions.

Any thoughts?

Moon Wizard
January 25th, 2014, 08:48
I'm not familiar with the BRP ruleset, but I would suggest building on top of the CoreRPG ruleset. You get all of the functionality already built-in to the CoreRPG layer without having to write anything.

I would suggest starting by looking at the Numenera ruleset available in Test mode (see FG Settings dialog). Just rename the Numenera.pak file in the rulesets subfolder of the FG data directory by adding a ".zip" then explore the files.

Then, make a new directory in the rulesets folder for "Eclipse Phase", copy the base.xml file from Numenera, 3.5E or 4E into that new directory, then delete all the data in the file except for the description tag and the importruleset tag.

Then, add in the Desktop script, with the custom message for your ruleset. Remove any registerOptions calls/functions, since they are used to add House Rule options.

Next, I would suggest just making changes to the character sheet initially, and ignore everything else. Just copy the character files from CoreRPG or one of the other rulesets that layer on top of CoreRPG. (Usualy record_char_*.xml and template_char.xml) Then, start tinkering with adding/removing fields to being customizing to the way you want.

Eventually, you'll probably want to customize the NPCs and Combat Tracker, and possibly the item sheet. But, I would save those for later.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
January 25th, 2014, 11:30
Even if I'm not a coder, I would strongly suggest as Moon Wizard says: layer it on top of CoreRPG. It's much easier, cleaner, faster.

I couldn't distinguish between a FG object and a function if they both bite me in the ***, but if you need help for the graphic side of things I probably can lend a hand (especially since EP is Creative Commons, much easier to get things right fast).

And since Rob & Adam are very nice guys with a very open mind, if you push this project to the end with enough features it could–in my opinion–easily be sold on SmiteWorks shop, a deal shouldn't be that hard to make.

One thing where FG could be vastly superior to real table gaming, is morphing. Most player find it a great pain to recompute evrything each time they switch morph, a FG Eclipse Phase ruleset could do that automatically.

leetsepeak
January 25th, 2014, 19:28
Yeah, I was thinking much the same, Blacky.

My understanding is that the BRP ruleset / the Call of Cthulhu ruleset are already layered over CoreRPG as of now, so I was wondering if those might provide me with a good base to work with since they're both d100 systems.

I'll definitely keep you updated, graphics are a place where I need a lot of help.

I have a nWoD game today, but after that, I'm gonna start working on it.

Moon Wizard
January 25th, 2014, 20:22
BRP is not currently layered on the CoreRPG ruleset, though Call of Cthulhu is. Call of Cthulhu would be a simpler one to start with as well, if you have the ruleset already.

Cheers,
JPG

leetsepeak
January 25th, 2014, 21:32
I do! By the way, absolutely fantastic job on that. I'm terribly excited to play a CoC game, and who knows, might be able to make use of the rules for EP as well.

I -think- I can handle it all, I just have to figure out how to divide the skillsheet between Active Skills and Knowledge Skills. Then figure out the autocalculation.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2014, 17:50
It sounds like basing your ruleset on the CoC ruleset might save you a lot of time as it is d100 based. However, keep in mind that the CoC ruleset is not supplied free with Fantasy Grounds and is a paid-for add on. So, if you plan on distributing your ruleset (even for free) you will need to chat with Smiteworks as they may not allow you to distribute it because it is based on a commercial ruleset - even if you remove most of the CoC specific code.

Blacky
January 27th, 2014, 09:08
Eclipse Phase is not BRP, I'm not sure at all it would help to base things from a BRP-ish ruleset.