PDA

View Full Version : 5th edition players guide

phantomwhale
January 23rd, 2014, 06:11
Slipping out of the Savage Worlds forum for a while... I find one of my groups keen for some C&C gaming.

Now, I am a total newb, so apologies for the potential dumbness of this question, but I've got a Kickstarter PDF copy of the 5th edition players guide. The ruleset is still based on the 4th edition, is that right ? Does that have any significant differences ?

In any case, I'm keen to jump in and give it a go, just wondered if I might hit any "gotchas" between the editions that people know about ?

Cheers,
Ben (-PW-)

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2014, 08:10
The books included with the ruleset were updated to 5th edition with v3.x. The rules automation I found applicable was also updated to match.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2014, 10:30
The books included with the ruleset were updated to 5th edition with v3.x. The rules automation I found applicable was also updated to match.
Cool! Could the store details be updated to mention this please?

hawkwind
January 23rd, 2014, 10:52
are there many changes from 4th to 5th? I assumed it was just part of Troll lords never ending fights against typos plus the addition of color prints to the books?

JohnD
January 23rd, 2014, 15:58
Apparently TL said that if you have 4th you shouldn't worry too much about "needing" to buy the 5th. A refreshing change from the money grubbing of WOTC et al.

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2014, 18:34
Trenloe,
Pop a note over to support email. I'm traveling right now.

Hawkwind,
The only differences I can remember are the encumbrance system, and perhaps some minor changes on siege check output. It's been awhile since I worked on it.

JPG

dr_venture
January 23rd, 2014, 18:57
My recollection is similar to Moon's... when I was doing dev on the ruleset, we opened a discussion in the dev group regarding what had changed between 4th and 5th, and there was very little. Encumbrance was simplified from 4th to 5th... and there were a couple other small items, but not much.

BTW, I always suggest noobs check out the Crusader's Companion, free doc from Troll Lords: https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/crusaderscompanion.pdf

Filled with all kinds of freebie goodness - monsters, character classes, etc.

damned
January 24th, 2014, 00:00
yeah - very few changes... encumbrance was a key one - and not to DrV's liking if i recall correctly?

dr_venture
January 24th, 2014, 01:14
Not exactly, no... but of all the things I love about C&C, the encumbrance rules in general are one of the few things I don't dig. Considering my love/hate relationship with most rulesets, I can easily live with that.

hawkwind
January 25th, 2014, 08:43
And who buffers with encumbrance so so many players have said over the years. One of my favourite things about fantasy grounds is auto calculating encumbrance.
I just had a look at the new updated rule set and I have got to say nice job!

dr_venture
January 25th, 2014, 16:54
I'll take credit for the graphics and for helping to guide Moon Wizard in the implementation... but my biggest accomplishment was mostly dashing my brains against the code with marginal effect for several years in an effort to keep the C&C dev effort from languishing. Moon came in totally busted his hump over a couple weeks to recreate the C&C ruleset upon the CoreRPG base... this was almost entirely his programming effort. He did a great job, and really put C&C on track to remain relevant and useful in the future. Scott Ferguson also updated the PHB structure to accommodate the new draggable items, abilities, etc.

In the end, I'm just glad that now, when I see that there is an update to FG, I have a lot more to get excited about. :D