PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Easier access to the navigator.

viresanimi
January 23rd, 2014, 00:20
So... not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I have a suggestion for Moon Wizard.

I noticed that if you right-click on an image and choose layers, there is an option called the navigator. This is very handy if you like big pictures. I certainly do. I am currently running a campaign in vampire: the masquerade and the image of the city is 5000x5000, so easier access to the navigator would be nice.

So here is what I am thinking. I can hold down the mousewheel button to scroll the image. But would it be hard to make the navigator appear if you double click the mousewheel button? Its already connected to that function... sort off.

Anyhoo... just an idea.

Vires Animi

Blacky
January 23rd, 2014, 01:42
Since both moving (scrolling) and zooming are already linked to the middle mouse button (mousewheel), I second this.

While extremely useful, I never ever used the navigator, it's 3 clicks down and under layers (maybe it got lost ;) )…

Moon Wizard
January 23rd, 2014, 02:03
Ever tried to double-click the mouse wheel without spinning the wheel? It's very difficult with most mice.

Best bet is to throw on the wish list in my sig.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
January 23rd, 2014, 03:17
Yup, do it all the time, never any issues. But I got a good mouse; and years of Wolfenstein & Doom at a formative age :)

You can always check the rythm of the thing, if it's a slight wheel scroll between two fast click ignore the scroll.

viresanimi
January 23rd, 2014, 06:08
I too have absolutely no problem of double clickinging with a mouse-wheel button. But if that isn't the best option, then perhaps another is available. Most mice today seems to have quite a few more buttons than just 2.

Has added it to the wish list.

Vires Animi

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2014, 10:22
Just as an FYI - Windows 8 captures presses of the mouse scroll wheel and opens a screen with small images of all of the current open programs. It completely blocks any middle mouse wheel click functionality within Fantasy Grounds. This could well be a feature of windows going forwards and so adding features based off mouse wheel clicking could well be blocked in future releases of Windows. There is no setting on my Windows 8 PC is Control Panel -> Mouse to disable this feature.

viresanimi
January 23rd, 2014, 15:58
I am running Windows 8 and I do not see that at all. Nothing bound to that on my end, that is for sure. Anyways. The reason why I suggested the mousewheel button, was due to the fact that the scrolling function is already a part of it.

Using the fourth mousebutton would also be fine with me. Lots of modern "mice" has several buttons ... sooo...

Vires Animi

Griogre
January 23rd, 2014, 18:23
Just in case this is applicable. If the image is larger than the image frame, which is likely on your 5k x 5k map, you can drag the image around inside the frame by middle click and holding down the scroll wheel and dragging. You can do the same thing with left click and holding down the left mouse button and moving the mouse relative to the gold gizmo in the bottom right, though that one scrolls the image in direction of the offset of the mouse from the gizmo.

I've personally found with large maps a combination of scrolling out finding the place I want to go to then a combination of scrolling in and middle mouse dragging to center the image and scrolling in to the desired resolution is very fast.

GMTroll
January 27th, 2014, 11:20
In FG v3 (at least for some rulesets) you can now double click on a token in the combat tracker (CT) and it will open the map centred on the token. Only works if tokens were dropped on the map from the CT.

If you want to jump to specific locales in a city map you could use the CT as a map index:

right lick on the CT and select add item from the radial menu
name the new item with the name of the local
drop a token on the new item
drag new item token to the map

Depending on the ruleset, for instance PFRPG, you could create your locales as NPC's and then create an encounter with all your locals with assigned tokens pre placed on the map and then add the encounter to the CT as and when. This is a lot more work but reusable. Might also want to turn off auto roll initiative or whatever your ruleset of choice uses when adding the encounter to the CT though or remove any initiative scores from the locales to keep them all together.

Blacky
January 27th, 2014, 11:28
In FG v3 (at least for some rulesets) you can now double click on a token in the combat tracker (CT) and it will open the map centred on the token. Only works if tokens were dropped on the map from the CT.
Imo doesn't help with this, but that's very good to know!