PDA

View Full Version : Inflicting Spell Damage

damned
January 21st, 2014, 11:56
How do you inflict spell damage?
I cant seem to find a way to automate the application of spell damage?
Say my good wizard Thom sends a fireball the way of some Ettins.
He targets all those in the area of effect.
How do I then apply either 5d6 or 5d6/2 damage?
Is there a way to do this in C&C?
For NPCs I can add Fireball as a Weapon with the damage afterwards in brackets. That works - but what about for my PCs?
Additionally then - is there a way to say apply a 50% damage reduction on the lucky Ettin that saves his Dex check? That way I would still apply 5d6 to them all but have something already applied to the Ettin that reduces the applied damage by 50%
Are any of these possible?

I guess this could apply to other non spell like things like falling damage?
PCs are crossing a bridge which collapse and they take 3d6 damage... is there a way to apply this to each?

Trenloe
January 21st, 2014, 12:15
How do I then apply either 5d6 or 5d6/2 damage?
Is there a way to do this in C&C?
For NPCs I can add Fireball as a Weapon with the damage afterwards in brackets. That works - but what about for my PCs?
Additionally then - is there a way to say apply a 50% damage reduction on the lucky Ettin that saves his Dex check? That way I would still apply 5d6 to them all but have something already applied to the Ettin that reduces the applied damage by 50%
Are any of these possible?

Roll the damage from an attack entry without anyone targeted. This is because spell damage is usually only rolled once for all targets.
Drag the damage from the chat window to the tokens of the creatures that failed the save - do this one by one.
If any creatures made the save, right click on the damage entry in the chat window and select "Halve value"
Drag the resulting half damage value to the tokens of all of the creatures who made the save.

The actions types defined in the C&C manager_gamesystem.lua script are:

actions = {
["dice"] = { bUseModStack = "true" },
["table"] = { },
["init"] = { bUseModStack = "true" },
["ability"] = { bUseModStack = "true" },
["attack"] = { sIcon = "action_attack", sTargeting = "each", bUseModStack = "true" },
["damage"] = { sIcon = "action_damage", sTargeting = "each", bUseModStack = "true" },
["heal"] = { sIcon = "action_heal", sTargeting = "all", bUseModStack = true },
["effect"] = { sIcon = "action_effect", sTargeting = "all" }
};
For spell damage there would need to be an entry similar to damage but has sTargeting = "all" rather than "each" so that damage would only be rolled once. Then this would have to be programmed into the ruleset to be used when spell damage was being applied.

I guess this could apply to other non spell like things like falling damage?
PCs are crossing a bridge which collapse and they take 3d6 damage... is there a way to apply this to each?
Setup an NPC called "Bridge Trap" and have the relevant attack/damage entry in "Attacks".

damned
January 21st, 2014, 20:57
I think I will create a NPC called Trap and list lots of different weapons :) It can be a hidden combatant at all times... I might accidentally trip over it myself if the players are boring me....

Forgive my ignorance but how do I use Heal from those actions?

JohnD
January 21st, 2014, 21:24
I think I will create a NPC called Trap and list lots of different weapons :) It can be a hidden combatant at all times... I might accidentally trip over it myself if the players are boring me....

Forgive my ignorance but how do I use Heal from those actions?
Great idea. Including that bit about accidentally attacking the characters. ;)

damned
February 8th, 2014, 11:39
a follow up question -

what is the format for weapon Damage if you drag to a Hotkey?
ie I could make a Hotkey for Fireball or Magic Missile if I can get the syntax right!

[DAMAGE (M)] Magic Missile 1d4+1
[DAMAGE (M)] Magic Missile (1d4+1)

I can create a weapon called Magic Missile and then drag the damage to the Hotkey and it works but I want to know the formatting if anyone knows it?
Will be quicker to write these up outside of FG and copy them in rather than create new "weapons"...

Trenloe
February 8th, 2014, 13:10
what is the format for weapon Damage if you drag to a Hotkey?
ie I could make a Hotkey for Fireball or Magic Missile if I can get the syntax right!

[DAMAGE (M)] Magic Missile 1d4+1
[DAMAGE (M)] Magic Missile (1d4+1)

I can create a weapon called Magic Missile and then drag the damage to the Hotkey and it works but I want to know the formatting if anyone knows it?
Will be quicker to write these up outside of FG and copy them in rather than create new "weapons"...
Looking at an example slot within <campaign>\usersettings\hotkeys_host.xml (which is written when the campaign is closed) at an example entry, it appears it is essentially a dragdata object that is required:

<bank number="0">
<key number="0">
<description>[DAMAGE (M)] </description>
<icon>action_damage</icon>
<shortcut>
<class>pc</class>
<datasource>charsheet.id-00001</datasource>
</shortcut>
<data>
<type>damage</type>
<slot number="0">
<type>damage</type>
<string>[DAMAGE (M)] </string>
<dice>
<die>d6</die>
</dice>
</slot>
</data>
</key>
</bank>
So I'm not sure you can do a string within FG, but you could manually modify the hotkeys_hosts.xml file (when FG is not running) and make up the data that way - don't know if that will be any easier than creating the damage entry in your FG character and dragging to the hotkey slot.

damned
February 8th, 2014, 23:59
you are right it might not be easier but at least I could copy and paste to a new character :)
or maybe make a new spells module so that the spells could be dragged in as weapons...?
is there a reference that I can find the different damage types? I can add the [M] and get the sword Icon - i can leave it blank and get the blood drop icon - are there others?

Trenloe
February 9th, 2014, 00:30
[R] for ranged.

damned
February 9th, 2014, 00:44
so.... do you know off the top of your head where i would look to see how hard it would be to add a new damage type?

well it looks like all the damage is the blood icon - I will leave for now - thanks Trenloe :)

Trenloe
February 9th, 2014, 00:56
Damage is applied in manager_actions_damage.lua

damned
February 9th, 2014, 12:44
thank you Trenloe.

Trenloe
February 9th, 2014, 12:50
You can see the C&C specific damage types, energy types, etc. in \scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua

I know this is not what you were specifically asking - but it is slightly related and good information to know, especially when using effects.