PDA

View Full Version : New Core Extended ruleset

psicodelix
January 19th, 2014, 09:01
Hello,

I've been making some improvements on the Core ruleset to give my players more options in the character sheet, and the result is this Core Extended Ruleset that I want to share with you.

Enjoy.

EDIT:
This extension is outdated since its functionality has been included in the CoreRPG ruleset.

damned
January 19th, 2014, 10:01
Hey! Dont you have another project you are working on?
Just kidding Keep up all the awesome work!

Blacky
January 20th, 2014, 01:44
Isn't this name confusing? We don't know what are these “improvements”, and how they would play with traditional ruleset layering…

Nickademus
January 20th, 2014, 05:53
Interested.
Details?

Moon Wizard
January 20th, 2014, 06:59
I'd be interested in hearing what you added as well. I've been thinking about a couple additions to CoreRPG as well to queue up after other development settles down. Also, if I have your permission, I may include a few features in the CoreRPG ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

psicodelix
January 20th, 2014, 07:10
Hey! Dont you have another project you are working on?
Just kidding Keep up all the awesome work! thanks :)

Isn't this name confusing? We don't know what are these “improvements”, and how they would play with traditional ruleset layering…

I don't really know where the confusion may be... I think the ruleset is easy enough and self-explanatory, but it's only a personal work to give my group more room and options in the character sheet to create templates for a variety of ruleset-less game systems. If you think the category-grouping capability of the main list, the additional skill list with extra text space and the two abilities lists aren't improvements then, well, simply don't use the ruleset.

Interested.
Details?
Just download it from post #1 and give it a try.

psicodelix
January 20th, 2014, 07:18
I'd be interested in hearing what you added as well. I've been thinking about a couple additions to CoreRPG as well to queue up after other development settles down. Also, if I have your permission, I may include a few features in the CoreRPG ruleset.
Regards,
JPG

Hi MW,

I've made three additions to the character sheet:

- I've modified the main skill list to allow grouping of skills/attribs in categories.
- Added a secondary skills/attribs tab with a width-expanded skill/attrib list.
- Added a third tab with two abilities list linked to ref-ability windows.

You are free to use any of these modifications as you wish.

Blacky
January 20th, 2014, 10:28
Sorry I wasn't clear, foremost I meant could you list and explain those additions, basically what's new?

Moon Wizard
January 20th, 2014, 18:29
Quick summary from what I can glean. I'll let Psicodelix fill in the rest.

* Added a Skills tab and an Ability tab to character sheet.
* Both Main tab and new Skills tab support named skill groupings
* Ability tab is more of a reference list (similar to 3.5E/PFRPG/4E Abilities tab)

Regards,
JPG

psicodelix
January 21st, 2014, 08:27
Thank you MW, these are all additions for now.

damned
February 17th, 2014, 23:49
Cool so I started going thru this ruleset to see what I could see. Its nice an lean and mean and probably my best bet at ever fudging anything here!

I tried to add a new tab called Costumes - I have based it off the Abilities tab.

The Tab works but has no name... if I change it to Combat it works... Will it only display Tab names that have been defined in the CoreRPG?

Can anyone help with the code to add a new Tab name?

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tabname.jpg

Dakadin
February 18th, 2014, 01:11
You just need to create your own icon for the tab name. Here is the code used to create the Combat tab text in CoreRPG:

<icon name="tab_combat" file="graphics/tabs/tab_combat.png" />

If you make a copy of the tab_combat.png graphic file, you can just edit the graphic to have the word Costume on it instead of Combat. Save the graphic as tab_costume.png in a graphics/tabs sub folder in your extension. Then add this line to your extension.xml file:

<icon name="tab_costume" file="graphics/tabs/tab_costume.png" />

This will register the graphic so you can use tab_costume instead of tab_combat for your new tab.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Michael Hopcroft
February 19th, 2014, 04:53
A Costume tab? I approve.

It makes me wonder about multi-person efforts to convert things to CoreRPG Extended. Like people taking different parts of a project. Since wanting to do an extension for a particular RPG is a very personal thing unless you've been paid and commissioned to do it (and I have no idea how that works in a context like this) I wonder how many variant rulesets are the result of a single fan/programmer working in isolation and how many are of groups.

damned
February 19th, 2014, 06:39
can you check your PM?

Michael Hopcroft
February 20th, 2014, 03:24
can you check your PM?

Yep, and glad to help.

Michael Hopcroft
February 23rd, 2014, 04:52
Quick question regarding hotkeys: are those always set by the player (to automate a specific task) or can they be assigned by the maker of an extension for use in all games using that extension.

For example, adn to use the Costume Fairy Adventures project, can you as the guy making the extension map out hotkeys that can be used to automatically add or subtract Magic Points from a character's total? Hit one key when you spend a point. Hit another key when you gain a point from a die roll. These change the totals on your Character sheet.

Moon Wizard
February 23rd, 2014, 04:57
The hot keys are always set by the user.

I would suggest that the add/remove magic point functions be buttons on the character sheet. They could potentially be draggable to the hot key bar, like the CT next actor button.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
March 10th, 2014, 17:58
This is a handy ruleset addition, and a great example of how to layer a ruleset on top of CoreRPG.

Just as an FYI to GMs: this is a ruleset, not an extension. As such, extensions (themes, etc.) built for CoreRPG will not be visible for selection from a campaign using this CoreRPGExtended ruleset - extensions will need to have their <ruleset> tag modified to be able to select them for use with this ruleset.

CoreRPG data/library modules will work OK as the CoreRPG <importinfo> has been specified in the ruleset base.xml file.

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2014, 19:52
See the latest beta release of v3.0.4, where an abilities tab and attribute categories have been added.

Cheers,
JPG

Magnatude
May 23rd, 2014, 17:01
In reference to the downloadable provided:

I think.... the first tab (Main) should be the same as the default. I liked the ability to put dice to the attribute.

The second tab is cool the way it is but still no way to add die rolls. But can be used in a different way.
I would prefer this tab to create items that make drag/drop notes like the 3rd Tab AND Dice drops

Third Tab... PERFECT!

Fourth Tab... PERFECT!

Now if I was at this, I would Switch the first tab back to the original. I liked the ability to insert dice.

Second tab.... I would do one of 2 things here....
1. Keep it that way, and add a new tab to the sheet to add formatted text So you can use Tables and Note-links.
2. Dump it and replace it with a Formatted text idea in 1.

I might explore the xml between the 2 and do this myself...

Moon Wizard:
Before I take a crack at it... is it possible to make a tab in the character sheet editable like Story pages? (adding formatted text?)
I personally think this idea of formatted text in one tab would be USED!!! You could make drag-droppable notes and use the Tables in games like MechWarrior/Battletech, where a table separating hit locations or things like that.
Even "card" collecting as you drop notes/images onto Links could be roughly implemented.

I'm not an XML scripter, however I can cut/paste my way when I see it. lol

Trenloe
May 23rd, 2014, 17:23
In reference to the downloadable provided:
Moon Wizard:
Before I take a crack at it... is it possible to make a tab in the character sheet editable like Story pages? (adding formatted text?)
I personally think this idea of formatted text in one tab would be USED!!! You could make drag-droppable notes and use the Tables in games like MechWarrior/Battletech, where a table separating hit locations or things like that.
Even "card" collecting as you drop notes/images onto Links could be roughly implemented.

I'm not an XML scripter, however I can cut/paste my way when I see it. lol
You might want to look at the changes M_W is implementing in 3.0.4...

Magnatude
May 23rd, 2014, 17:43
Yes, JUST looked at them now

I like this.
I would like to see a TAB for Formatted text as well "Utility" Tab

The thing that annoys me... is when you create something in the Character sheet, like the Ability sheet where it creates a link redblock. Is you cant save those... (If you can, sorry I haven't figured it out, tried dragging them into links in Story and they don't save, and you cant drag back into, they are blank after)
A Formatted Text Tab would take the dragable Notes/Story Items... The GM can pre-create them and drop them onto the link in the formatting...

Ah this might be my misunderstanding?
I just wonder if the player can access/see them, unless you module-ize them and provide them like dragables from a Players Handbook.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2014, 01:22
Currently, you could keep this information on the Abilities tab. Each ability entry is a link to a formatted text record.

There is not currently a way to "save off" abilities on a PC, or drag and drop the full text. When you drag an ability from a PC onto a story, it's only creating a link to the PC sheet ability.

I think you would need the mechanism to define campaign "Abilities" for dragging and dropping onto PC sheets. This is essentially what the PFRPG, 3.5E, 4E and 5E rulesets do with feats, proficiencies, class abilities and more; but it is ruleset specific code. Perhaps an extension or new ruleset layered on top?

I've also thought of repurposing the Notes area on the last tab as a formatted text field, but I haven't for backward compatibility reasons. It would invalidate character files exported for multiple rulesets based on CoreRPG. (I'm also working on improving that aspect, but it needs seasoning.)

Cheers,
JPG

Magnatude
May 30th, 2014, 07:26
K... I'll check out that out-of-date EXT that was built to add a new attribute sheet and kung-fu the code in that...

I just need one more tab on my character sheet (starts kata....)

Moon Wizard
May 30th, 2014, 10:07
With the latest beta, you can drag and drop "referencetext" links from modules to the Abilities tab in the CoreRPG ruleset. So, if you have a module that already has reference material links, you can drag and drop onto a PC.

JPG

Magnatude
May 30th, 2014, 16:01
Yeah its great, I've been more into the CoreRPG than ye olde Foundation, you've done a lot of great work in this.
I just needed a slight bit more real-estate. Especially when I start on FASA Star Trek.

Valarian
May 30th, 2014, 16:06
Have you seen the BRP extension for FASA Star Trek in my community rulesets folder? (Additional Extensions folder)
To create a character, the skills are the same as in the Star trek roleplaying game.
Racial modifiers are divided by 5 to fit with the BRP ability ranges (turning the percentile to a 1 to 20 range).

Magnatude
May 30th, 2014, 16:37
Holy! and just my luck I have BRP!
I forget to go check your DL's Val. I guess I'll have to get cracken on some adventures!

ImaTarget
June 3rd, 2014, 07:12
I really like these changes. Sadly I canīt use the Core Theme Extensions with it and the default theme is SO unfitting for my campaign. Can this be tweaked to actually take advantage of the Themepacks? Or how can I modify the theme extensions to be available for Core Extended?

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2014, 16:43
I really like these changes. Sadly I canīt use the Core Theme Extensions with it and the default theme is SO unfitting for my campaign. Can this be tweaked to actually take advantage of the Themepacks? Or how can I modify the theme extensions to be available for Core Extended?
M_W has taken a lot of this extension and included it in FG 3.0.4 (currently in the testing channel). I'd recommend waiting for that to come out if you can wait. That is taking nothing away from this cool ruleset addition though.

But, if you want to go ahead using this ruleset, you'll need to add a new <ruleset> tag for CoreRPGExtended in an extension (themes) and modules you want to use. You'll have to do this any time an FG update overwrites the extensions/modules you have changed.

ImaTarget
June 3rd, 2014, 18:51
Learned something again! I will work on Core then and await the update :) Thanks again.

damned
June 4th, 2014, 03:09
definitely work with CoreRPG over CoreRPGExtended if you want to keep inheriting the updates that MW keeps pushing out.

geewaagh
June 7th, 2014, 15:54
Anyone else having errors with the character sheet groups with the new core update?

damned
June 7th, 2014, 16:22
post your errors...

Trenloe
June 7th, 2014, 16:53
Anyone else having errors with the character sheet groups with the new core update?
I would imagine you will get errors as Moon_Wizard merged a lot of what is in this ruleset into CoreRPG 3.0.4 (which this ruleset is layered on top of). I don't know what the exact solution is as I'm not 100% familiar with this ruleset nor how much was taken from it and put in 3.0.4 CoreRPG.

One thing to try might be to:

Go to your <FG App Folder>\campaigns directory and make a copy of your campaign.
In the campaign you have just copied, open the "campaign.xml" file and change the ruleset tag to CoreRPG.
Load up the copied campaign in FG and see if you get any errors.

I'm not sure if this will work or not though...

geewaagh
June 8th, 2014, 02:27
post your errors...

Ruleset Error: windowlist: Could not find windowclass (char_skill) for control (skills) in windowclass (char_sublist_main)
Ruleset Error: windowlist: Could not find windowclass (char_skill) for control (skills) in windowclass (char_sublist_main)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(skills_iedit) anchoring to an undefined control (skills) in windowclass (char_sublist_main)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(skills_iedit) anchoring to an undefined control (skills) in windowclass (char_sublist_main)

geewaagh
June 8th, 2014, 02:27
I would imagine you will get errors as Moon_Wizard merged a lot of what is in this ruleset into CoreRPG 3.0.4 (which this ruleset is layered on top of). I don't know what the exact solution is as I'm not 100% familiar with this ruleset nor how much was taken from it and put in 3.0.4 CoreRPG.

One thing to try might be to:

Go to your <FG App Folder>\campaigns directory and make a copy of your campaign.
In the campaign you have just copied, open the "campaign.xml" file and change the ruleset tag to CoreRPG.
Load up the copied campaign in FG and see if you get any errors.

I'm not sure if this will work or not though...

It opens without errors. Good idea. However, the character data is gone.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Magnatude
June 8th, 2014, 06:52
Ah good to know... (Ensure exporting of character files before any updating) at least for when using Character sheet related ext's on CoreRPG.
Sorry to hear, but you definitely help the rest of us exploring character sheet modding.

damned
June 8th, 2014, 07:52
It opens without errors. Good idea. However, the character data is gone.
Thanks for the suggestion.

CoreRPGExtended isnt an extension so I would think this is expected behaviour. Change the tag back. Will need to debug on the errors.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2014, 14:15
As mentioned above, most of the functionality in this ruleset "add-on" has been moved into CoreRPG with 3.0.4 and there is appearing to be a clash between the extended ruleset and the 3.0.4 CoreRPG base ruleset. Moving forwards it is best to use CoreRPG....

A quick look at the differences between extended and CoreRPG it looks like the "skills" tab has not been brought over, and the errors above seem to suggest this.

You could try editing the db.xml file in your campaign (make a backup before you do this) and remove the following tags from each <charsheet> entry:

<skillscategorylist>
<specialabilitylist>
<specialabilitylist2>

Then load as a CoreRPG campaign and see if the other data is available for the character. You will have lost data from the ability and skills tabs, but the rest should be there.

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2014, 21:52
If you are having trouble getting the data moved over to CoreRPG, send me a note to [email protected] with your campaign folder data files (all the .xml files). I'll see if I can move them over for you to preserve data.

Regards,
JPG

geewaagh
June 13th, 2014, 03:56
If you are having trouble getting the data moved over to CoreRPG, send me a note to [email protected] with your campaign folder data files (all the .xml files). I'll see if I can move them over for you to preserve data.

Regards,
JPG

Thank you for the offer! I keep all of my character data in hero labs, so I really didn't lose the data. I just had to reload it into core. Just a little frustration and a minor setback but I'm past it.
Thanks again for the offer.