PDA

View Full Version : Grouped Effects...

Blackfoot
January 16th, 2014, 19:17
I was thinking, while working on my Champions ruleset, that it would be cool if I could create an 'Effect Title' that would work like other standard effects but apply a group of other effects in the process.

Example:
The Power 'Density' gives a bonus to Strength, Physical Defense, and Energy Defense. I would set up 'Density' as a Group Effect name through a standard interface, then the associated effects would be read whenever 'Density' was found to be an active effect.

This could also apply to something like 'Inspire Courage' in Pathfinder or a 'Good Hope' spell, any effect that has a lot of other effects associated with it. Thus de-cluttering the Combat Tracker and simplifying effects on the player side.

Looking through the 3.5 code it seems the effect interpretation might be a bit too location specific to handle this sort of functionality, but it seems like it might be a good idea.

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2014, 18:59
Actually, there are a few effects in the existing rulesets that work like that.

For example, in 3.5E, if a creature is Blinded, they have 50% miss chance, -4 strength and dexterity-based skills, -4 search and perception skills.

You just need to check in each place that the effect can modify a roll to apply the components of the effect.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
January 17th, 2014, 19:05
Right, I guess my point wasn't so much to put in extra checks in the code as to build a handler in effects that was able to interpret a single effect and determine it's effect contents... and basically allow these multiple effect 'effects' to be built 'on the fly'.

Moon Wizard
January 17th, 2014, 19:18
At some point (hopefully), I want to change the effects system to have a "name" for each effect, modifiers hidden in their own record, and a drop-down to select supported modifier types and data values (or something similar).

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
January 17th, 2014, 19:29
Yeah.. that's what I'm talking about. That will be very cool.