PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Edition

Munqaxus
January 12th, 2014, 22:31
I've been thinking about purchasing Fantasy Grounds, so I downloaded the demo and the AD&D 2nd Edition Pak. I put the AD&D pak in the C:\Users\"users"\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets but I don't see any of the books in the library. (I also tried and update and it didn't do anything). The instructions are really vague and I don't really want to purchase something that doesn't work...

JohnD
January 12th, 2014, 23:55
I suppose you started a 2e campaign first, right?

Not sure how a community rule set will work with the demo version.

Moon Wizard
January 12th, 2014, 23:56
The AD&D 2E ruleset is a community project supported by the community. I believe it has been a while, since anybody updated the framework.

Also, data for rule books can not be distributed by anyone has not licensed the data. And Wizards of the Coast do not license their data to anyone that I know of.

If you want to see what FG can do, I would suggest looking at the Pathfinder (PFRPG) or 3.5E frameworks There's a 3.5E manual in our Library section of the web site, that applies to both.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
January 13th, 2014, 00:01
Just wanted to add, that if you are looking for a 2e feel in FG, you should look at the Castles & Crusades rule set. 2e and even AD&D content is useable with only a minimal amount of modifications. I'm running a campaign and would be happy to give you a quick tour/introduction.

damned
January 13th, 2014, 00:06
+1 to the Castles&Crusades ruleset.
Full content available from Players Hand Book and Monsters & Treasure books.
Lots of automation and the game itself is very old school with a few d20 style improvements.

The AD&D2 ruleset will not give you a real feel for the power and features of the Fantasy Grounds framework. However it will certainly allow you to play (although I havent seen any posts regarding testing of it with the new FG3 version released in December) but will require more knowlege of how things work...

Munqaxus
January 13th, 2014, 23:10
Thanks for all the information. JohnD, I might take you up on your offer. I'm really curious as to how Fantasy Grounds plays and would love to see an actual game played on it. I've messed around with it a little more using the 3.5 rules (which I'm not too familiar with), and it seems really useful. The ease of combat and automation would really speed up the pace of the games and keep you from having to hunt through the books as much for attacks and stuff. Although I might miss the feel of the dice themselves, lol.

JohnD
January 14th, 2014, 01:57
I have a game scheduled for this Friday evening. PM me if you want to observe or join in... you can find the listing on the Campaign Page.

FG is a great choice; you'll not regret it.

dr_venture
January 14th, 2014, 18:33
If you want to take a look at the C&C rules ahead of our session, the quick start version can be downloaded from the publisher here:

https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

The quickstart rules contain all the basic rules and cover about 2 or 3 levels of spells & character development, so it should give you a really good idea of how C&C runs and how different it is from 2nd edition.