PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Images (layers) for FG 3.0 CoreRPG (and rulesets based on CoreRPG)

Pages : [1] 2

Trenloe
January 12th, 2014, 10:21
FG Classic only. Do not use in Unity.

With the advent of FG 3.0 and the CoreRPG ruleset layer architecture I have updated Dr Zeuss's excellent Enhanced Images extension to work with this new architecture. For those who aren't aware of this extension, it provides 3 layers within an image - primarily useful for putting tokens on 3 different layers and stopping them messing with each other (known as token stacking issues). This functionality can be useful if the GM wants to use mapping tokens to draw maps on the fly or use larger tokens for underlying image functionality - a good example is a ship token on a sea/river image - put the ship token on the middle layer and all of the PC/NPC tokens on the top layer and there are no token stacking/selection issues.

v2.1.6 February 16th, 2021 FGC v2021-02-01 release compatibility updates.

*** Please make sure you run this extension only with compatible rulesets and extensions. For example, this is not compatible with the 5E Combat Enhancer extension - as the layer code is incorporated in that extension.

Previous versions:

v2.1.5 March 5th, 2020 Further v3.3.10 compatibility fixes.

v2.1.4 March 4th, 2020 FG v3.3.10 compatibility hotfix.

v2.1.3a December 15th, 2019. Changed load order from 10 to 50 to cater for other extensions that may clash. If you experience issues with this change please revert to the previous version.

v2.1.3 February 12th, 2019. Movement of named tokens (tokens added from the CT or tokens given a name) on the top (play) layer will move the related shadow token on the lower layer (image or features_image).

v2.1.2 January 4th, 2019. v3.3.7 compatibility update - now works correctly on the two new desktop panels (back panel and full panel). Note: resize to grid is only available in the window mode, as the two panels do not have any resize controls available via the right-click menu.

v2.1.1b July 11th, 2018. Read only maps will open with the bottom (image) layer enabled so that links created in an original non-layered image module can be selected. Note - this could break any personally created read-only modules with links on the top layer!

v2.1.1a April 21st, 2018. Update for encounter token placement on bottom layer.

v2.1.1 April 2018. Update for FG v3.3.5 compatibility. Issue fixed: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=386219&viewfull=1#post386219

v2.1.0 March 2018. Re-mastering of the extension, targeting removed on base and features layers. Support for Savage Worlds. Thanks to Ikael.

V2.0.5e May 31st, 2017: Very minor update. Base image control now has a minimum size of 200x200 pixels. Don't use maps smaller than this.

V2.0.5d May 9th, 2017: Very minor update. Resize to grid functionality now caters for dynamic toolbars and different sized image window frames to display the full, resized, image. Details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=340247&viewfull=1#post340247

V2.0.5c April 23rd, 2017: Fix for getDatabaseNode script errors raised when adding tokens or navigating layers after one image window had been closed. Errors reported here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=334171&viewfull=1#post334171

V2.0.5b April 15th, 2017: Minor update to include /tvsize syntax info. More details on /tvsize and the auto size to grid functionality here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

V2.0.5a April 14th, 2017: Added map resize extension functionality. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

V2.0.5 April 14th, 2017: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.3.0 compatibility.

V2.0.4 January 19th, 2017: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.2.2 compatibility.

V2.0.3 November 20th, 2016: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.2.1 plus set original size issue fix and zoom icon mismatch.

V2.0.2 November 4th, 2016: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.2.0 and token shadow functionality (inc scaling + orientation).

V1.0.8 November 5th, 2015: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.1.3.

V1.0.7 August 6th, 2015: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.1.2.

V1.0.6 1st June 2015: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.1.0.

V1.0.5 25th September 2014: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.0.8.

V1.0.3 June 2014: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.0.4 and minor bug fix.

V1.0.2 10th March 2014: Updated for Fantasy Grounds 3.0.3.

The extension adds a "layer" icon to all images on the GM side - which when clicked reveals 3 icons that an be used to access (from left-to-right) the base, middle and top layers. Dr Zeuss shows how the original extension works in a video in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?14916-4E-Enhanced-Images&p=114668&viewfull=1#post114668

NOTE: Currently does not work with hex grids - only square or no grid images.

Things to note:

This extension shows in Fantasy Grounds as "Enhanced Images (CoreRPG+)" and will be selectable for all rulesets, however it will only work for rulesets layered on top of the FG 3.0 CoreRPG base ruleset.
Use only square grids or no grids. Hex grids will not work and will raise script errors.
This *should* be compatible with previous extensions - so campaign images with layers from previous versions should work OK.
Players can only interact with the top layer - GMs must put PC and NPC tokens on this top layer otherwise players can't move their PCs or target NPCs.
Masking only works on the base layer - and then only when the map/image is based on an image file (this is the usual FG mask functionality - you can't mask a freehand drawing).
As masking only works on the base layer, anything that the GM wants to mask should be put on the base layer - tokens that are used for mapping, etc.. If you want to hide NPC tokens don't put them on the base layer, put them on the top layer and use the individual token "visibility" setting (or the visibility setting for the NPC in the combat tracker) to hide/reveal the token to the players.
Grid settings (on/off), offset and size are the same across all 3 layers - there is 1 grid throughout. Other grid functionality is specific to an individual layer - lock tokens, snap-to grid, etc.. Be careful which layer you change these settings on as you will have to be on the same layer if you want to change them later.
Drawing (and erasing of a drawing) only works on the top layer. Drawings are never masked so there is no point in having drawings on any layer other then the top layer - this helps to keep memory use down too.
If you open an image that was from a campaign that was created without the layer extension then everything will be on the base layer. With the exception of the grid - this will be synchronised across all layers.
Issue: GMs can select targeting on the lower layers (if there are tokens on those layers) - but I don't think this will work in any way, especially as PC and NPC tokens should be on the top layer anyway. Essentially the targeting arrows will appear if the GM "targets" a token on any layer. This could be confusing so GMs should keep an eye on this... I hope to be able to limit targeting to the top layer only in the future.
Shortcuts (pushpin) that link to campaign entries can be put on any layer - but they are only active (can be selected) on that layer, even though they are viewable on the higher layers. Note: If you open an image from a module that has pushpins these will be visible across all layers but only selectable on the base layer.
For encounters with token placement created in a campaign that didn't use this extension (or a previous version) the extension will convert the token placement layer to the top layer on-the-fly so that the NPC tokens are placed on the correct layer. The original encounter record is not changed. Note: this will only work for placement on maps/images that have already been opened within the campaign with the extension enabled - so the play_image layer already exists. If the map hasn't been opened with the extension enabled then an error will be raised and the tokens won't appear on the map.
Grid drawing mode will be remembered when you leave and return to a layer - i.e. if activated mask mode will remain active on the bottom layer and drawing/erasing mode will remain active on the top layer. The mask, draw and erase icons will reflect what state is active on which layer.
New Token Shadow functionality: Adds shadows of the tokens on the higher levels when you activate a lower level - this aids in lower layer token placement and unmasking. These "shadows" are actually tokens set to invisible, so they are tokens and you will have the usual token stacking issues with these shadow tokens. You can move them out of the way, they don't impact the original tokens they shadow.

Any questions/issues please post in this thread.

The issues list is contained in the next post.

Trenloe
January 12th, 2014, 12:07
The following is a list of issues in the current release v1.0.1:

Hex grids do not work. Square and no grids are OK. There may be a work around of setting a square grid first, then changing it - some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=314922&viewfull=1#post314922
Blank (new images without an image file) are sized at 200x200 (to avoid another issue where images would zoom into the top left 200x200 area when zooming for the first time). The "expand drawing" functionality (on the bottom layer only) can be used to expand the image in size, but the layers then need to by synced - close and open the image and zoom in/out once to sync the layers.
Pins put on a map without using the extension are placed on the bottom layer when using the extension - they can be seen on all layers, but only selected by the GM on the base layer.
Pre-placement of encounter tokens on the middle layer will raise an error when activating the encounter. Not planning on fixing as this is not what encounter pre-placement is primarily used for - more info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=239794&viewfull=1#post239794
Double grid alignment issue when image fully zoomed out. One "notch" zoom in appears to fix issue. Details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=296034&viewfull=1#post296034 Workaround - zoom in one notch.
Middle and Top layers do not get exported into a module. This is being blocked by the FG architecture and there is no API method to get around this. Note: as the only "thing" that gets exported with an image is the pushpin links (not tokens or drawings) this issue only effects pushpins. Workaround: for images you want to export, put pushpins on the lowest layer. If you *really* want pushpins in a module on a layer other then the bottom layer, do the initial export and then manually copy the two additional two layer entries from the campaign db.xml to the module db.xml, then repackage the module.
When a player opens an image/map that the GM currently has open it will sync the center and zoom to that of the GM view. The player can zoom/pan and use as normal once open.
No longer compatible with Savage Worlds - both SWD and SWADE.
If you revert changes to a module and an image from that module is open, you'll need to close and re-open the image to re-set the layers.

The following is a list of issues that have been fixed with the version number containing the fix.

v1.0.1 - For images greater than 200x200 the first time the image is zoomed-in it will zoom to the top-left 200x200 section of the image. Zoom-out to the view you want and this should not happen again. This is a result of the default size of the image being removed to fix grid drawing issues.
v2.1.0 - For GMs only: Target selection and targeting arrows can appear on all layer where there are tokens. Ideally this should only occur on the top layer.
v2.1.0 - Not compatible with the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Future Development

Right-click menu to move token from one layer to another. Targeted for future release. Include ability to select a number of tokens and use <image>.getSelectedTokens() to return a table of tokens to be moved.

Zeus
January 14th, 2014, 14:56
Nicely done Trenloe. Thanks for picking this up. I haven't had anytime recently to work on these old extensions.

Blackfoot
January 19th, 2014, 18:24
Got the following error when I opened my first image.

Script Error: [string "scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:137: setGridOffset: Grid size is zero

Hmm.. can't seem to get around it by setting the grid... in fact the same error pops each time I set it.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2014, 19:35
Got the following error when I opened my first image.

Script Error: [string "scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:137: setGridOffset: Grid size is zero

Hmm.. can't seem to get around it by setting the grid... in fact the same error pops each time I set it.
Can you zip up your campaign folder and email it to me please. I've never seen this error. Please include steps to reproduce.

Blackfoot
January 19th, 2014, 19:48
I added the extension to an already existing campaign. The map I opened had previously been set up with a HEX grid... beyond that all I did was open the map and the error appeared.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2014, 14:31
I added the extension to an already existing campaign. The map I opened had previously been set up with a HEX grid... beyond that all I did was open the map and the error appeared.
HEX "grids" currently don't work. Noted in post #1 and added as an issue in #2.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll try and address in future.

Blackfoot
January 20th, 2014, 17:30
*Sniff* No one loves HEX grids... :( :cry:
:p

martel
January 27th, 2014, 06:27
i love hex grids, it is nice feaure no skip this feature plz

ElementalAjah
February 15th, 2014, 19:50
FYI: Latest test release (v3.0.3) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20461-Test-Release-v3-0-3) seems to cause an issue with the current version of this extension. I get a script error when starting up a 4E campaign. I don't have any more details than that, but disabling the extension removes the script error.

Trenloe
February 15th, 2014, 20:01
FYI: Latest test release (v3.0.3) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20461-Test-Release-v3-0-3) seems to cause an issue with the current version of this extension. I get a script error when starting up a 4E campaign. I don't have any more details than that, but disabling the extension removes the script error.
Thanks for the information. I had seen some of the fixes that come in 3.0.3 and I imagined they would have an effect on this extension.

I'll wait until 3.0.3 is released to live before I provide an updated extension as it requires 3 files to be replicated from CoreRPG and the extension code added to those files.

Laramie Wall
February 18th, 2014, 12:42
This seems like a great extension, I'm just having a few issues.
Firstly, excuse me, I'm new. Tried picking up FB a few years ago, life in the way, started a full bore campaign a few months back.
SO, first, this made my images and maps menu transpearent, the only visible parts were the the left banner "images and maps", magnifying glass, search bar, red buttons and "shared" icons.
Then... I loaded a prexisting map
"
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesize)
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizeoriginal)
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizevertical)
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizehorizontal)

So... today's quiz. What did I screw up?

Thanks guys, I've been ghosting a bit, these forums seem like a great community.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2014, 12:56
This seems like a great extension, I'm just having a few issues.
Firstly, excuse me, I'm new. Tried picking up FB a few years ago, life in the way, started a full bore campaign a few months back.
SO, first, this made my images and maps menu transpearent, the only visible parts were the the left banner "images and maps", magnifying glass, search bar, red buttons and "shared" icons.
Then... I loaded a prexisting map
"
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesize)
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizeoriginal)
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizevertical)
Ruleset Error: radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizehorizontal)

So... today's quiz. What did I screw up?

Thanks guys, I've been ghosting a bit, these forums seem like a great community.
What ruleset are you using this with?

The extension doesn't stop you using it for any ruleset, but it must be used with a ruleset that is layered on top of the FG 3.0 CoreRPG ruleset.

Laramie Wall
February 18th, 2014, 13:05
So, the issue may well be that this was started before we got the FG3 update, and is simply a version incompatibility issue (running FG3, but campaign and ruleset was ported over from FG2)?

Also, thanks for the lighting fast response.

damned
February 18th, 2014, 13:22

Lots of really helpful people in here :)

Trenloe
February 18th, 2014, 13:22
So, the issue may well be that this was started before we got the FG3 update, and is simply a version incompatibility issue (running FG3, but campaign and ruleset was ported over from FG2)?
This extension is specifically designed to work with rulesets that are layered on top of the CoreRPG ruleset, using the ruleset layering functionality introduced in FG 3.0.

If your ruleset is not layered on top of the CoreRPG ruleset then this extension will not work.

Moon Wizard
February 18th, 2014, 19:22
None of the rulesets available before v3.0 were layered, and thus will not work with the updated extension.

Regards,
JPG

ElementalAjah
March 11th, 2014, 03:53
Looking forward to seeing this updated for 3.0.3 now that it's live. I've got a great moving mine cart battle in my next game that this extension would be perfect for. :)

The text of the script error on start up is:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat2.lua"]:12: attempt to call field 'setCustomNPCSpaceReach' (a nil value)

It also seems to reset or alter the sizes of tokens that were places on some image layers before updating. In my case multi-square tokens shrunk down to a single square in size, which suggests to me some interaction with token auto-scaling though it's off for my campaign.

Nickademus
March 11th, 2014, 04:29
Looks like the field setCustomNPCSpaceReach was giving your multi-square tokens their space of multi-squares manually. Now that it is missing, the space of the tokens has defaulted to one square. Just manually set them to the proper space in the Combat Tracker or I think you can give them a size in the Type field and it will automatically size them to Large, Huge, Gargantuan, etc. when they enter the Tracker.

Trenloe
March 11th, 2014, 05:09
The text of the script error on start up is:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat2.lua"]:12: attempt to call field 'setCustomNPCSpaceReach' (a nil value)

Updated for Fantasy Grounds v3.0.3. Download in post #1.

ElementalAjah
March 11th, 2014, 06:12
Thanks Trenloe!

darrenan
May 24th, 2014, 04:36
How hard would it be to add a "Show To GM Only" toggle for the middle layer? That would be really handy for putting map notes and room numbers and so forth on the map that you don't want your players to necessarily see. Although I guess you would have to put that information down in the form of tokens right? Maybe not as useful as I originally thought....Thoughts? Is there another way to accomplish that goal that already exists?

Trenloe
May 24th, 2014, 04:48
Is there another way to accomplish that goal that already exists?
Pushpins/shortcuts - link these to a story entry with the title being what you want to see when you hover over the pushpin. Plush clicking on the pushpin will open a story entry that usually has all the info for that room: boxed text, details, encounters/NPCs, etc.. See the "Pins" section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images

EDIT:See page 6 of this guide for an example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4883&d=1377887605

darrenan
May 24th, 2014, 04:58
That's great for linking story entries to the map, solves 90% of what I was considering. What about if I want to note the location of a secret door? Do a create a separate story entry for that and pin it as well? An invisible token of the letter S? Any other ideas?

Trenloe
May 24th, 2014, 05:01
An invisible token of the letter S?
Yeah, probably an invisible token would be best, and write some details in the chat entry box and drag this to the token to give it a tooltip label, e.g. "Secret Door, DC 25 Perception".

darrenan
May 24th, 2014, 05:05
Hopefully that will get saved correctly when I export to module?

damned
May 24th, 2014, 05:18
yes - pins/shortcuts are (imho) the best way to put everything on the map.
they do get exported in your modules
ive started calling my encounters - ENC:Something-or-other so i can see it when i hover over the pin, same for TRAPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PqBEJ8BRM

darrenan
May 24th, 2014, 05:19
Tokens on maps don't survive the export process, so that's not a good way to deal with secret doors. I guess I'll just create simple story entries for those and pin them.

damned
May 24th, 2014, 05:29
Tokens in Encounters will stay though :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA
I do recommend you use pins for all things of interest - they are visible to you - they link to the source material and they are invisible to players.

There is a request for different colour pins - that woudl be nice - eg: Red/Story, Blue/Encounter, Black/Trap etc.

Zeus
May 24th, 2014, 13:47
Tokens on maps don't survive the export process, so that's not a good way to deal with secret doors. I guess I'll just create simple story entries for those and pin them.

Here's a way. Create an Encounter and add a 'Secret Door' entry and assign it a token. Now drag the token from the Encounter window to the map you want it placed on. You should get a tick in the Encounter window indicating that the pre-placement of the token has been recorded in Encounter.

You can now export the map and encounter and the included token should export as well.

Now when you drag the Encounter to the CombatTracker during play, it will pre-populate the map with the Secret door token. Just don't make the SecretDoor npc entry visible or the players will know its there. Of course the GM will always see the tokens on the map.

Blackfoot
May 24th, 2014, 15:12
Here's a way. Create an Encounter and add a 'Secret Door' entry and assign it a token. Now drag the token from the Encounter window to the map you want it placed on. You should get a tick in the Encounter window indicating that the pre-placement of the token has been recorded in Encounter.

You can now export the map and encounter and the included token should export as well.

Now when you drag the Encounter to the CombatTracker during play, it will pre-populate the map with the Secret door token. Just don't make the SecretDoor npc entry visible or the players will know its there. Of course the GM will always see the tokens on the map.I can't say that I like that option very much as now you have a bunch of extra characters in the tracker that you have to stumble over... occasionally the tracker gets screwed up in terms of effect timers when you have to jump over characters..

damned
May 24th, 2014, 15:19
i like it - and you would only have the one extra character in the CT and only in the room once you trigger/set the encounter. you wouldnt have these tokens in the CT unless the encounter was active.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2014, 19:38
The challenge is that you typically want a pristine image record when you export something (i.e. no mask, no drawing, no tokens). I'm sure when we get a chance to add image enhancements including tiles, layers, etc.; that this is something we will need to look at.

Regards,
JPG

mattcolville
May 27th, 2014, 03:56
I have this extension, using it in a 4E campaign, and for some reason when I add a grid on any layer to an image, then click on another layer, I get three grids, one on each layer, and all offset.

mattcolville
May 27th, 2014, 04:12
I also notice when I drop down a grid, the grid is not at the scale I specified. Like, the little mouse indicator says "This is 50px" and I say "Ok" and click, and the grid that's set down is much smaller.

Trenloe
May 27th, 2014, 06:04
I have this extension, using it in a 4E campaign, and for some reason when I add a grid on any layer to an image, then click on another layer, I get three grids, one on each layer, and all offset.
What version of the extension are you running? (You'll see it in the chat window when you start a campaign). Are you running FG 3.0.3 live or 3.0.4 test? Does this occur with images made from files or with blank images created in the list, or both?

Trenloe
May 27th, 2014, 06:07
I also notice when I drop down a grid, the grid is not at the scale I specified. Like, the little mouse indicator says "This is 50px" and I say "Ok" and click, and the grid that's set down is much smaller.
Sorry, can you explain this please? Are you referring to an OK button or something similar? Please describe the exact steps taken here as I'm a little confused by this...

Also, are you running any other extensions?

mattcolville
May 28th, 2014, 05:41
Example! Yay for technology!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2eGpTjG9z4

I think you can see the issue here. The second issue that I couldn't explain well is that at :33 seconds, you see me drop a grid and FG3 drops the grid in accordance with the little green box.

But! At 2:02 you see FG3 does *not* put the grid where the little green box was! Maybe because I was zoomed in?

I'm running the release version of FG3, the extension version and FG3 version appear to be in accord.

Trenloe
May 28th, 2014, 05:57
Example! Yay for technology!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2eGpTjG9z4

I think you can see the issue here. The second issue that I couldn't explain well is that at :33 seconds, you see me drop a grid and FG3 drops the grid in accordance with the little green box.

But! At 2:02 you see FG3 does *not* put the grid where the little green box was! Maybe because I was zoomed in?

I'm running the release version of FG3, the extension version and FG3 version appear to be in accord.
Thanks for taking the time to make the video and show the issues you're seeing. Expanding the drawing is what breaks the layer grid synchronisation as this only expands one of the layers. This is a known issue and is listed as issue #3 in post 2.

Just to expand on what you said a few times in the video - there is a grid applied on each layer, so the grid on the top layer looks bolder than the grid on the bottom layer as the top layers shows all 3 grids at once. This is needed to have a grid visible on all layers - allowing mapping objects to be aligned properly throughout. Of course, if there is then an issue with each layer not being the same size then the grids will be out of alignment - which is what you're seeing.

mattcolville
May 28th, 2014, 06:00
That's cool, I think I have a simple workaround.

I just made a large (1200x1000) white jpg and I can use that whenever I need to make a new image. I can drop a grid on it, populate it with tiles, easy. I was running into problems making a new image in FG3 and then trying to massage it into the shape I needed it to be. Way easier to just made a "blank" jpg in photoshop and bring it into FG3 any time I need a new encounter map.

Trenloe
May 28th, 2014, 06:10
That's cool, I think I have a simple workaround.

I just made a large (1200x1000) white jpg and I can use that whenever I need to make a new image. I can drop a grid on it, populate it with tiles, easy. I was running into problems making a new image in FG3 and then trying to massage it into the shape I needed it to be. Way easier to just made a "blank" jpg in photoshop and bring it into FG3 any time I need a new encounter map.
LOL! I was just coming back to this thread to say just that. :)

Here is an example of using a blank, coloured image and then using tiles on the base layer, furniture etc. on the middle layer and tokens on the top layer: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20176-A-slightly-better-drawing-mode&p=168266&viewfull=1#post168266 And the grid should synch OK across all layers, even when zooming! :)

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2014, 21:35
With v3.0.4 release, a script error was reported with this extension.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21272-Release-v3-0-4&p=177285&viewfull=1#post177285

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
June 4th, 2014, 21:38
With v3.0.4 release, a script error was reported with this extension.
Thanks. I was pretty sure it would need updating.

HoloGnome
June 4th, 2014, 22:41
Too bad there's no patch version check. :D j/k man.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2014, 02:56
Updated to 1.0.3 for Fantasy Grounds 3.0.4 - this fixes errors when deleting tokens from the combat tracker.

Also removes player client errors when adding, resizing/nudging and removing a grid on an image that was open on the player side.

HoloGnome
June 6th, 2014, 04:07
Thx. It's funny that I commented above but didn't notice the actual script error issue - so much for drive-by humor. :D

HoloGnome
June 7th, 2014, 19:10
BUG: Enhanced Images does not respect existing grids

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Add a grid to a map/image without EI installed
2. Exist FG and enable Enhanced Images
3. Go back into the campaign and look at the map - it has multiple, superimposed grids

Expectation: EI should respect any existing grids and convert/maintain, as relevant

See attached image.

NOTE: Deleting the grid and setting up a new one doesn't seem to fix the problem. Not sure how to fix this issue at the moment.

OK - update - I deleted the grid, closed the image, exited FG a second time and came back again with EI enabled and the grid artifact is now gone.

Trenloe
June 7th, 2014, 19:30
Is this on a new blank image in FG or is it an image based off a file?

There is currently an issue with FG blank images once they have been expanded. See recent posts above and the issues list in post #2.

HoloGnome
June 7th, 2014, 20:55
Not sure what you mean by "blank images". I was using the canvas I made earlier. It was in the campaign images data folder. It does not have a printed grid - here it is: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6690&d=1402155133.

Also, I had the following, additional problems:

1. I released token scaling and all the tokens suddenly became huge and there was no way to unscale them. I had to delete all my map tiles (delete all tokens) and start over. I had placed a bunch of scaled map tiles. Not exactly sure of the steps to reproduce, but I lost all my work.
2. I accidentally dropped a tile under another tile and there was no way to get to it without moving tiles and looking for it.
3. I did encounter the targeting issue (already listed, as I see - thx for pointing me in that direction - I agree that map layers should not target - only the top)
4. When I move tokens, I don't want them to leave a ghost behind in the original position on map layers - it serves no purpose and interferes visually (for me).
5. I want an opacity control so that I can choose the opacity of all tokens so that I can more easily align/scale them to the grid (in the case of tiles that have a pre-printed grid).
6. I want an auto-scale feature that will apply the same scale factor to all tokens when I place them or if I group select them. I was getting really tired of scaling every macro tile (multiple grid blocks). I want it to remember how so that I can either drag all the tiles over, then group select. Or scale 1 tile and give it a profile name, then use that scaling profile to apply to new tiles that I drag.
7. The grid scaling is not accurate. My canvas is 1500x1000 and I was choosing 20x20 and 25x25 grid squares, which should have perfectly filled the window, but they don't/didn't. This observation is also in line with the fact that snap-to-grid doesn't really work very well - things are always slightly off, one way or another.

Anyway - am trying to use Enhanced Images with map tiles, but have had some challenges.

-----
CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE: the grid does actually fit exactly in my canvas, but when it initially appears, it is misaligned. You can use the grid controls to align it (as I discovered today).

Bidmaron
June 12th, 2014, 02:43
Holo, many of your 'problems' are feature requests, and if you don't go over to the wish list and enter them, no one can vote for them to help solve your problems. You have brought many good, fresh ideas to the table, but one small recommendation I have is to not characterize something that doesn't meet your expectations as a 'problem' or, worse, a 'bug.' These guys work tirelessly to bring us new capability at a very reasonable price (zero), and I know that your well-intentioned feedback is like tiny daggers to them (because the implication is gee, why didn't you derelicts implement this in a more reasonable [to you] manner?) Now, it just so happens that your experience and ergonomics sense seem to be pretty outstanding in most (possibly all) cases, and they are certainly worth paying attention to. Just realize that they have almost zero chance of getting implemented if they don't rise in demand on the wish list, no matter how great the ideas are.

That said, as far as I personally am concerned, please bring on your recommendations and thoughts. You've come up with some outstanding ideas.

damned
June 12th, 2014, 03:02
the way to auto scale tokens correctly is to use the grid... this applies only to pcs/npcs/monsters as it picks up their size from their description.

sofakingwetatdid
August 3rd, 2014, 18:42
Couple of quick questions:
1) Does this work with 3.0.6?
2) Does it work with Pathfinder?
3) I seem to remember having issues when the clients didnt have this module and I did before. Things like errors if I resized the grid, things not being sized correctly, and a host of other problems. Has this been fixed? Do all the players need the mod installed for it to work?
4) I create a base campaign and then export modules for each book of the adventure path, using this tool should I adjust my maps in the base campaign?

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2014, 18:50
1) yes, see the first line of post #1. :)
2) yes.
3) only the GM needs this installed.
4) exporting images to a module will not export all layer details, so if you are making use of the layers on only a few images then make the base image in a campaign without this extension and export. Then open that module in a campaign with the extension and make the changes you want within the campaign. This changes the data being used in the campaign, not the base module.

The first couple of posts in this thread outline how to use, gotchas and current issues.

sofakingwetatdid
August 4th, 2014, 21:16
1) yes, see the first line of post #1. :)
2) yes.
3) only the GM needs this installed.
4) exporting images to a module will not export all layer details, so if you are making use of the layers on only a few images then make the base image in a campaign without this extension and export. Then open that module in a campaign with the extension and make the changes you want within the campaign. This changes the data being used in the campaign, not the base module.

The first couple of posts in this thread outline how to use, gotchas and current issues.
Thanks!

darrenan
August 17th, 2014, 22:11
Finally installed this extension and started playing around with it today, one small nit: The tooltip for the toggle layer toolbar button is "Toggle Grid Toolbar" instead of "Toggle Layer Toolbar". When you expand the layer buttons, they all seem to have correct tool tips, except for the top/play layer button, which doesn't seem to have a tooltip at all. I just downloaded the extension today, so I should have the latest version, v1.0.3 right?

Trenloe
August 17th, 2014, 22:25
Finally installed this extension and started playing around with it today, one small nit: The tooltip for the toggle layer toolbar button is "Toggle Grid Toolbar" instead of "Toggle Layer Toolbar". When you expand the layer buttons, they all seem to have correct tool tips, except for the top/play layer button, which doesn't seem to have a tooltip at all. I just downloaded the extension today, so I should have the latest version, v1.0.3 right?
You've the right extensions. The toggle grid toolbar is a bug in the extensions, I'll fix that in the next release.

The tooltips on the layer buttons will only display on the buttons that aren't current selected - the button that is currently selected will not display a tooltip. This is standard behaviour for these buttons.

Trenloe
September 25th, 2014, 22:47
Updated to be FG 3.0.8 compatible. There were only minor changes in the CoreRPG code this extension was built on, so there shouldn't be issues continuing to run v3.0.7 of this extension (unless you drag the Next Actor combat tracker button to a hotkey).

swest
October 22nd, 2014, 22:52
I downloaded the most recent version of this extension, and, while I see the Layers Control icon, I do not see the x-y coordinate button that Zeus mentions in his video. Was that functionality removed along the way? (I have read this thread, but not Zeus's original thread...)

Also, I noticed the following when experimenting with putting pushpins on different layers (I hadn't yet seen some of the pushpin guidance for this extension - which is very helpful, by the way): If I click on the Layers Control button, and select a layer to manipulate, and then click the Layers Control button again to close Layers Control, I am not, automatically, looking at all three layers top-down. I'll be explicit:

Click Layers Control
Click layer 3
add pushpins to layer 3
Click layer 2
add pushpins to layer 2
Click Layers Control to exit

At this point, I see the pushpins for layer 2, but not those for layer 3.

So, should one always click on the top layer before exiting Layers Control if, for example, you make changes to the middle or bottom layer?

I'm re-watching Zeus's video right now, but I don't remember anything explicit on this.

[b.r.b.]

Ok, I think that it is implicit that you would ordinarily be working on the top layer last, and if you close the tool, you're left looking at all three layers.

Is this only the GM's problem? If I share the map, do the players automatically see things from layer 3 down, irrespective of the GM's view of it?

Does this make sense? Or am I off in the weeds on this?

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2014, 23:03
Closing the layer selection control doesn't change the layer to the top layer. Think of it more as minimising the control rather than actually closing it.

Is this only the GM's problem? If I share the map, do the players automatically see things from layer 3 down, irrespective of the GM's view of it?
Player don't have access to this control and always view from the top layer as they can only interact on the top layer.

FYI - if you didn't know this already, you can start another instance of FG on your computer and join game to an already running campaign using a server address of locahost - this will allow you to see the player view. No need for an additional license, using localhost as the server address doesn't need a player license.

swest
October 22nd, 2014, 23:40
Got it, and my user (localhost) view, as well.

Thanks.

Was the x-y coordinate feature dropped?

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2014, 23:48
Was the x-y coordinate feature dropped?
Yes, to try to reduce the amount of work that has to be done each time the base FG files for this extension change with a new release of Fantasy Grounds. Once a grid is placed on an image, most rulesets have something like this anyway - draw a line by pressing both mouse buttons at once and it will report the distance of the line based off the grid.

seycyrus
October 23rd, 2014, 01:09
- draw a line by pressing both mouse buttons at once and it will report the distance of the line based off the grid.

What sorcery is this!!?

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2014, 03:20
What sorcery is this!!?
Actually, drawing any line on a grid will show the distance. But the 2-mouse-button method is a quick way of drawing a single line. Any previous line drawn with 2-mouse-buttons will be removed, as this method will only ever keep 1 line on the screen per user. If you want to remove that line click the 2 mouse buttons slightly out of order (i.e. not exactly at the same time).

sturtus
February 13th, 2015, 15:13
Any word on 3.0.10 compatibility? I've been messing with it and seems fine, but any word on behavior or bugs to watch out for?

Trenloe
February 13th, 2015, 15:18
Any word on 3.0.10 compatibility? I've been messing with it and seems fine, but any word on behavior or bugs to watch out for?
It should be OK. As per here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

Cheezegr8r
June 1st, 2015, 01:26
i love hex grids, it is nice feaure no skip this feature plz

Ok i figured it out... some how I got two fantasy ground install folders and I was putting the extension file in the wrong one.

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 02:46
Update needed with FG v3.1.0 - download v1.0.6 from post #1.

Loucifer
June 3rd, 2015, 13:16
Just pulled the extension from the OP... extension.xml still shows version 1.0.5

oversight and forgot to change, or wrong file?

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2015, 15:24
Just pulled the extension from the OP... extension.xml still shows version 1.0.5

oversight and forgot to change, or wrong file?
The extension version stored in the XML is no longer shown in the FG interface, so I no longer update that - I'll try to remember to remove it completely in a future version. The true version displays in the chat window when you load up a campaign with the extension activated. This code is in scripts\manager_image.lua.

Blackfoot
June 3rd, 2015, 15:42
Most extensions don't use scripts\manager_image.lua .. do they? I mean.. they ALL have extension.xml..
Does this make sense?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying here.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2015, 15:46
Most extensions don't use scripts\manager_image.lua .. do they? I mean.. they ALL have extension.xml..
Does this make sense?
Yes, it makes sense. manager_image.lua is purely there to write the extension info to the chat window. It's been there since version 1 of the extension. Putting a <version> tag in extension.xml used to report that version through the FG load campaign interface, it doesn't do that now so the only value it provides is if someone opens up the extension and looks at the code.

Blackfoot
June 3rd, 2015, 15:48
Oh.. this is peculiar to THIS extension... not ALL extensions.. sorry.. gotcha. Usually I see this info in a data_common type file if I remember right.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2015, 15:57
Oh.. this is peculiar to THIS extension... not ALL extensions.. sorry.. gotcha. Usually I see this info in a data_common type file if I remember right.
Most extensions use this method. There's no point in updating a data_common file as this is a base ruleset file and would need updating every time a ruleset updated the data_common file -not good design at all. You might be confusing this with layered rulesets (not extensions), which use data_common.

Recently added functionality allows the extension load chat message functionality to be added to the extension.xml file with an <announcement> tag. Over time I might move the chat announcement functionality into the extension.xml file, but there is *nothing wrong* with the process being used at present.

Blackfoot
June 3rd, 2015, 16:01
Sorry.. again my confusion. Doesn't it make the most sense for this identification code to be in the extension.xml file? Since every extension has one of those.. and many extensions don't mess with images at all?
I misspoke about data_common.lua.. I'm working with rulesets mostly right now and obviously that's a big thing there.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2015, 16:04
Since every extension has one of those.. and many extensions don't mess with images at all?
Dude. manager_image.lua is a non ruleset file that doesn't clash with anything - I could have called it anything at all - I could have called it my_brilliant_chat_message.lua file. I just called it manager_image.lua just because it is managing an image based extension.

Thanks for the input, I know what I'm doing.

Blackfoot
June 3rd, 2015, 16:13
Trenloe.. I'm SURE you know what you are doing. :)
I sent you a PM to sift through the confusion without drama. :)

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 23:30
Hey Trenloe!

I'm looking at the Enhanced Images extension. How hard do you think it would be to add a fourth layer, called "effects"? I can think of some pretty cool stuff that could be put on that layer, above the others, but not interactive. (unless the effects layer was clicked).

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2015, 23:36
I'm looking at the Enhanced Images extension. How hard do you think it would be to add a fourth layer, called "effects"? I can think of some pretty cool stuff that could be put on that layer, above the others, but not interactive. (unless the effects layer was clicked).
It's pretty much as case of adding the new imagecontrol in the XML and then making sure all of the LUA codes that syncs up all of the layers includes code for the effects layer. And modifying the layer buttons and code behind those buttons. Not hard, just lots of little things to do. Then test, test, test...

Blackfoot
July 3rd, 2015, 01:32
What's the general opinion of this extension? I've seen it used in a few of my games and it seems like it can be a pretty big hassle... is the hassle worth it?

WhtZombie
July 3rd, 2015, 03:01
........ seems like it can be a pretty big hassle... is the hassle worth it?
Depends on whether or not you like your players spinning your decor. Personally, I like the feature and have been using it for my sessions. Granted it is fiddly to get used to, most of FG was that way for me in the beginning but after spending time browsing the forums and trying out what people suggested FG came together for me, not just Enhanced Layers Ext. Keep at it and like it did for me it will become second nature.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2015, 05:53
There's certainly a number of gotchas and limitations - all due to the FG API not being designed to cater for everything that this extension needs. These gotchas are all listed in posts #1 and #2 of this thread.

If you really want to use lots of tokens for map background, map features, spell area of effect, etc. then it'll be worth you using it, with the gotchas. If you don't really have a need for multi layers then it's not worth your time.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2015, 14:25
How hard do you think it would be to add a fourth layer, called "effects"? I can think of some pretty cool stuff that could be put on that layer, above the others, but not interactive. (unless the effects layer was clicked).
I've been thinking about this and I think it will be a good idea. Especially using spell effect templates like the free pack from our very own Tailz Silver Paws: https://www.wyldfurr.com/index.php/product/persistent-spell-effect-templates/

I'll look into this when I return from vacation, and put a prototype together.

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2015, 15:19
I'm thinking this additional layer would be accessible by the players - allowing them to move spell effects, light sources, etc.. I'll see how well it works when I put a prototype together...

jreddin1
July 3rd, 2015, 15:50
I've been thinking about this and I think it will be a good idea. Especially using spell effect templates like the free pack from our very own Tailz Silver Paws: https://www.wyldfurr.com/index.php/product/persistent-spell-effect-templates/

I'll look into this when I return from vacation, and put a prototype together.

I've been thinking about it some as well. I'd have to spend some time digesting the layers extension, but I was thinking it needed to behave differently than the other layers. I was thinking about the following:

Phase 1

Transparent, above the "top" layer, no grid.
It wouldn't be selectable or editable directly.
A few common effect icons would be available via the radial that could be placed on the layer.
The radial would also include a "clear effects" selection.

Phase 2

Effect icons could be added to effects.
When an effect was applied to a token, the effect icon would automatically be applied
When an effect was cleared from a token, the effect icon would go away.
When a token was removed (or made invisible), the effects would be hidden

I think this could get to the point that when an effect cleared in the CT it would automatically clear on the image as well.

Or am I massively over estimating what can be done with extensions?

damned
July 4th, 2015, 00:48
I've been thinking about it some as well. I'd have to spend some time digesting the layers extension, but I was thinking it needed to behave differently than the other layers. I was thinking about the following:

Phase 1

Transparent, above the "top" layer, no grid.
It wouldn't be selectable or editable directly.
A few common effect icons would be available via the radial that could be placed on the layer.
The radial would also include a "clear effects" selection.

Phase 2

When an effect was applied to a token, the effect icon would automatically be applied

I think this could get to the point that when an effect cleared in the CT it would automatically clear on the image as well.

If it can be done in the ruleset it can be done in an extension....
Your phase 2 list is pretty... impressive...

Have you seen the feature (I cant remember what its called) that Ikael (and I think Mask_of_Winter) added to Savage Worlds. Replaces dead actors with blood splatters.

Trenloe
July 4th, 2015, 04:21
It's not a case of what can be done in an extension, it's a case of what can be done with an imagecontrol and tokens. The APIs available for both of these FG elements prevents a lot of what you list. It is also the reason why there are so many gotchas listed at the beginning of this thread. The extension has pretty much been pushed to the limits of what the FG API supports as it is.

A few comments on what you mention:

Transparent, above the "top" layer, no grid. If this layer was above all the other layers then the normal tokens (PCs. NPCs, etc.) on the lower level can't be selected unless the lower layer is selected. It will be best to keep the top layer like the current layer - where the PC/NPC tokens go, targeting/movement is controlled, etc.. It would be way too confusing if players ad GMs have to make sure they were on a lower layer to do normal FG map/token activities.

It wouldn't be selectable or editable directly. See the comment above, and also this would severely limit what could be done with this other layer.

A few common effect icons would be available via the radial that could be placed on the layer. This really limits the flexibility of the extension. There will always be someone wanting a new icon.

Phase 2
You are aware that most of the full rulesets apply effect/condition icons to the tokens when a specific condition/effect is added to the linked entry in the combat tracker? Are you not trying to essentially replicate this functionality? Also, trying to add icons (essentially tokens) on another layer and track those as tokens on other layers are moved/removed would be a coding nightmare - and I'm not even sure it would be possible.

As I mentioned above, there are many, many limits on what can be done with code for imagecontrols and tokens. Plus, my design philosophy behind generic extensions (remember this works with all CoreRPG based rulesets) is to keep them generic if at all possible, make them flexible and try to make them usable. To this end, I'm thinking a fourth layer, below the current top layer, would be the most flexible - GMs/Players can use whatever tokens they wish (generic and flexible) and it will add functionality that could be used in many different ways - spell area of effects, dead tokens, light coverage, blank tokens hiding lower map layers (not relying on the mask that only operates on the lowest level), and I'm sure a few other things I can't think of right now.

Sorry, the above comes across as me shooting down all of your ideas - that isn't my intent, I just want to be clear what is and isn't possible. Please keep the ideas coming. A lot of this simply can't be done or can't be done reliably with the curent FG API. Other things you mention: perhaps I'm not really understanding what you're aiming at - you mention effect icons a lot, but these are already there within most rulesets. Am I misunderstanding what you mean by "effect icons"?

Please keep the ideas coming. This has got me thinking of some nice new features for this extension. :)

jreddin1
July 4th, 2015, 12:59
Have you seen the feature (I cant remember what its called) that Ikael (and I think Mask_of_Winter) added to Savage Worlds. Replaces dead actors with blood splatters.
No, I haven't. Sounds interesting, though. I'll have to go check it out...

jreddin1
July 4th, 2015, 13:11
Sorry, the above comes across as me shooting down all of your ideas - that isn't my intent, I just want to be clear what is and isn't possible.
Partypooper.

Seriously, though, that's why I asked you. I have only a smidge of experience with FG, so I need to rely on the experts like you for what can and can't be done.

As for "effect icons", I'm wanting something more than the tiny little squares that are barely visible. Some one mentioned a "blood splatter" extension for Savage Worlds that replaced the token with blood splatters when it died. That's cool, but I want the token to stay and an overlay token able to be placed over it. That's why the layer would have to be above, and inactive so the stacking issues don't get in the way.

I hope when the Unity release comes out they've massively updated the map capabilities. In my mind, its the weakest part of an otherwise awesome platform.

damned
July 4th, 2015, 13:14
No, I haven't. Sounds interesting, though. I'll have to go check it out...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24596-Dead-markers
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23629-Dead-Markers-feature-idea

Trenloe
July 4th, 2015, 14:08
That's why the layer would have to be above, and inactive so the stacking issues don't get in the way.
Yeah, that wouldn't work. You can only interact with the top layer, you can't make it inactive and still view the layer. Not can imagecontrol events be passed from one imagecontrol to another. That's why the current extension completely disables the higher up layers (hides and can't be interacted with) when you click on a button for one of the lower down layers.

There might be some possibilities using the widget approach that Ikael used for the blood splatter extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23629-Dead-Markers-feature-idea), but I foresee lots of coding nightmares trying to keep the widget location synchronized with the token as the tokens are moved around. Using this type of approach doesn't rely on layers/additional image controls, so a proof-of-concept could be done without the enhanced image extension... I'll leave that up to you! :)

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 22:14
Just loaded this EXT and things are looking good. Just wandering if it is me or teh EXT... Before I could move the map by clicking and holding the middle mouse wheel. but not now?

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 22:32
Just loaded this EXT and things are looking good. Just wandering if it is me or teh EXT... Before I could move the map by clicking and holding the middle mouse wheel. but not now?
Works fine for me.

bnickelsen
July 18th, 2015, 14:25
It was my Mouse

Trenloe
August 6th, 2015, 21:37
v1.0.7 update released (download in post #1).

This is a compatibility release for FG v3.1.2 - please update to this version for full compatibility.

bnickelsen
August 16th, 2015, 12:40
I had an issue with this extension last night. Although it looked and functioned ok on my laptop. all of the players had a version of the map that was 10 times normal size. when zoomed out as far as they could go on a 17" monitor the grid took up like 2" each square. We might have lived with the big map but if they hit the mouse wrong it jumped them back to the top right of the map. I simply had every one log out and I disabled the extension. I sure wish FG would get a round to making this a built in feature.

damned
August 16th, 2015, 12:43
Hey Brice - out of curiosity - what is the physical size of the image (in pixels) and what was the grid size?

Redbishop
August 16th, 2015, 13:19
I like this extension but I wasn't able to use it effectively because I need to see the player's tokens when I'm removing the mask, would it be possible to show shadows of the tokens in other layers? is there any trick I haven't learned?
Thanks a lot for your work.

bnickelsen
August 16th, 2015, 13:37
Hey Brice - out of curiosity - what is the physical size of the image (in pixels) and what was the grid size?

Not sure how I can tell. However it is the "Wave Echo Map" (Player) from Lost Mines of Phandalin

Trenloe
August 16th, 2015, 15:57
I had an issue with this extension last night. Although it looked and functioned ok on my laptop. all of the players had a version of the map that was 10 times normal size. when zoomed out as far as they could go on a 17" monitor the grid took up like 2" each square. We might have lived with the big map but if they hit the mouse wrong it jumped them back to the top right of the map.
I've seen this occasionally, but haven't been able to reliably recreate to allow debugging/fixing. You can usually fix the issue by closing the image on the player side and the GM re-shares it.

Trenloe
August 16th, 2015, 16:02
And make sure you've updated to v1.0.7 of the extension - the version number is reported in the chat window.

bnickelsen
August 16th, 2015, 20:07
And make sure you've updated to v1.0.7 of the extension - the version number is reported in the chat window.

Not sure how I missed this one when I updated all the others but I was using 1.0.6.. Updated the extension and re-shared the map. seems good.

geewaagh
November 5th, 2015, 23:15
Heads up

This extension is not working properly with ver 3.1.3 update. The initiative tracker will not sort (not the optional added, GM side) at all.

Trenloe
November 6th, 2015, 00:40
This extension is not working properly with ver 3.1.3 update. The initiative tracker will not sort (not the optional added, GM side) at all.
Thanks for reporting. :)

V1.0.8 available in post #1 updated for FG 3.1.3.

geewaagh
November 6th, 2015, 17:11
Trenloe,

Great response time! Now works as intended. Thank you!!

grapper
November 13th, 2015, 18:48
Using V1.0.8 but pre-built encounters with tokens on layers other than the top layer seem to be causing problems for me when I try to add them to the combat tracker.

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:775: addToken: Parameter 1 is not the name of a valid image.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2015, 00:31
Using V1.0.8 but pre-built encounters with tokens on layers other than the top layer seem to be causing problems for me when I try to add them to the combat tracker.

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:775: addToken: Parameter 1 is not the name of a valid image.
This will only happen for tokens on the middle layer. This extension was never designed to have encounter tokens pre-placed on the middle layer - as encounters are used for placing NPC tokens on the map and these have to be on the top layer for the players to interact with correctly.

grapper
November 17th, 2015, 03:09
This will only happen for tokens on the middle layer. This extension was never designed to have encounter tokens pre-placed on the middle layer - as encounters are used for placing NPC tokens on the map and these have to be on the top layer for the players to interact with correctly.

That's a bummer. I already ran the encounter and placed the stuff I needed on the middle layer on the fly. I prefer to have it set-up ahead of time, though.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2015, 03:24
That's a bummer. I already ran the encounter and placed the stuff I needed on the middle layer on the fly. I prefer to have it set-up ahead of time, though.
I'm confused. Why are you placing encounter tokens on the middle layer?

grapper
November 17th, 2015, 17:37
I'm confused. Why are you placing encounter tokens on the middle layer?

They were floating islands and each round on their "turn" they moved a random direction and distance.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2015, 18:01
They were floating islands and each round on their "turn" they moved a random direction and distance.
You're going to have to add those manually I'm afraid.

HoloGnome
December 10th, 2015, 17:45
I like this extension, but it would be great if the mask worked on the top layer instead of the base layer. It's a bit of a hassle to have to keep layer swapping just to reveal the map.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2015, 17:55
I like this extension, but it would be great if the mask worked on the top layer instead of the base layer. It's a bit of a hassle to have to keep layer swapping just to reveal the map.
Not possible with the current FG image control/API as the mask only works on an image control which is based on an image graphics file. So it can only be on the bottom layer.

HoloGnome
December 10th, 2015, 19:15
That makes sense. Thanks.

Patou
January 18th, 2016, 17:26
Trenloe,

I checked it out and stopped reading at the part about the 3 layers. My question now is will using this extension affect the grid setup already with their associated encounters from the online 5E modules I purchased from Fantasy Grounds?

Trenloe
January 18th, 2016, 17:44
My question now is will using this extension affect the grid setup already with their associated encounters from the online 5E modules I purchased from Fantasy Grounds?
It should keep the grid OK and token assignments from encounters are moved to the top (play) layer when the encounter is activated.

I'd recommend you give it a try. Load up a new campaign with the extension, open up the module/s you're interested in and try it out. But make sure you read the gotchas in post #1 as you're trying it out.

There's also a link to a video in post #1 that gives you a good overview of the base functionality.

Patou
January 18th, 2016, 17:52
Trenloe,

Watched the video... very cool. Do I simply click the link you added and the installation will go forward or do I need to place the extension in a certain file directory?

I have not installed any extensions as of yet. This will be the first. I can't wait to try this because I have all the CC3 tokens and Mike Schyle add ons as well. My maps are going to look awesome. More drooling for the players.

HoloGnome
January 18th, 2016, 20:08
I have noticed that the token rotation on the client side is not always correct. For example, if I load a bunch of tokens on the middle layer, then share the map, the tokens are rotated in the wrong orientation until I touch them them on the GM machine. After that, they jump to the correct orientation on the client side. Is there a known issue with token rotation?

Patou
January 18th, 2016, 21:55
Are your tokens locked?

HoloGnome
January 19th, 2016, 01:28
Good question - not sure if that was a factor or not. I don't think so. But, even in the case where they are locked, the extension should pass the correct token rotation to the client. I have to see if I can reproduce it. It might also have to do with number of tokens - again not sure. I had a lot of tokens on the source map when the problem occurred.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 05:10
But, even in the case where they are locked, the extension should pass the correct token rotation to the client.
The extension doesn't pass this information, this is built in to the image control itself. If you have a lot of tokens there may be a delay in the order in which the FG image controls update token information - maybe it sends the base tokens image first and then, only after all tokens have been sent (and maybe other imagecontrol tasks have been completed) is the token rotation info sent. I don't know the exact order of imagecontrol events as this is completely controlled by FG and isn't documented. The initial "wrong orientation" you see - is this the base image itself (i.e the base image file view with no additional rotation), or some random rotation? If you wait a while does the correct rotation appear? What happens if you try re-sharing the image?

Patou
January 19th, 2016, 16:03
It should keep the grid OK and token assignments from encounters are moved to the top (play) layer when the encounter is activated.

I'd recommend you give it a try. Load up a new campaign with the extension, open up the module/s you're interested in and try it out. But make sure you read the gotchas in post #1 as you're trying it out.

There's also a link to a video in post #1 that gives you a good overview of the base functionality.

I tried it last night.... very cool!

I saw that the encounters pin is on the bottom layer, the creatures are loaded from the launcher onto the top layer. This works for me. Is there a reason we don't set the pins onto the first layer or never really planned that way...it just happens. I also wanted to know if this was something the pros of Fantasy Grounds use often?.... what's your opinion on the layers?

Thanks

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 17:17
Is there a reason we don't set the pins onto the first layer or never really planned that way...it just happens.
This is because modules aren't created using the layer extension, so pins are automatically stored on the default, single layer which is the bottom layer. This is mentioned in the "things to note" list in post #1:

Shortcuts (pushpin) that link to campaign entries can be put on any layer - but they are only active (can be selected) on that layer, even though they are viewable on the higher layers. Note: If you open an image from a module that has pushpins these will be visible across all layers but only selectable on the base layer.

The extension can't change this as there are no FG API calls available to change the image (layer) that a shortcut (pin) is on. There is an API available to allocate the layer a token is going to be placed on (as part of the encounter token placement process) and that is why tokens from an encounter appear on the top layer.

All of the gotchas/things to note listed in post #1 are primarily due to there not being an API the extension can use to change an exception/different functionality, or the only reliable way to do something with multiple image layers.

Patou
January 19th, 2016, 17:28
This is because modules aren't created using the layer extension, so pins are automatically stored on the default, single layer which is the bottom layer. This is mentioned in the "things to note" list in post #1:

The extension can't change this as there are no FG API calls available to change the image (layer) that a shortcut (pin) is on. There is an API available to allocate the layer a token is going to be placed on (as part of the encounter token placement process) and that is why tokens from an encounter appear on the top layer.

All of the gotchas/things to note listed in post #1 are primarily due to there not being an API the extension can use to change an exception/different functionality, or the only reliable way to do something with multiple image layers.

My goal for this tool is to populate the maps with the missing elements (furniture ,etc). However I don't want to do this if populating the image lags the system loading process. Also I had to re-calibrate the grid on the top layer because for some odd reason when I load the map it is not in the right position anymore. Not a big deal

Thank you sir. I do really like this extension;)

Trenloe
January 19th, 2016, 17:39
My goal for this tool is to populate the maps with the missing elements (furniture ,etc). However I don't want to do this if populating the image lags the system loading process.
Tokens are just like any FG image file - they will need to be loaded from the GM to the players. This is true whether you use the enhanced images extension or not. So, make sure the token image files you use are file size optimized (i.e. a small file size). If there are frequent tokens you will use on the images you can put them in the <FG app data>\tokens\shared directory and these will be loaded to the players when the join your game - more uploaded/download time on initial connection, but not when you share a map with tokens as they will already be cached on the player side (as long as you populate your map from the shared tokens directory).

Also I had to re-calibrate the grid on the top layer because for some odd reason when I load the map it is not in the right position anymore. Not a big deal
This occasionally happens and I've spent a lot of time trying to work out why - without success. Usually a quick zoom in and out with the mouse wheel fixes the grid synch.

Patou
January 19th, 2016, 21:41
Tokens are just like any FG image file - they will need to be loaded from the GM to the players. This is true whether you use the enhanced images extension or not. So, make sure the token image files you use are file size optimized (i.e. a small file size). If there are frequent tokens you will use on the images you can put them in the <FG app data>\tokens\shared directory and these will be loaded to the players when the join your game - more uploaded/download time on initial connection, but not when you share a map with tokens as they will already be cached on the player side (as long as you populate your map from the shared tokens directory).

This occasionally happens and I've spent a lot of time trying to work out why - without success. Usually a quick zoom in and out with the mouse wheel fixes the grid synch.

Thanks for the help Tremloe:)

HoloGnome
January 20th, 2016, 14:26
The extension doesn't pass this information, this is built in to the image control itself. If you have a lot of tokens there may be a delay in the order in which the FG image controls update token information - maybe it sends the base tokens image first and then, only after all tokens have been sent (and maybe other imagecontrol tasks have been completed) is the token rotation info sent. I don't know the exact order of imagecontrol events as this is completely controlled by FG and isn't documented. The initial "wrong orientation" you see - is this the base image itself (i.e the base image file view with no additional rotation), or some random rotation? If you wait a while does the correct rotation appear? What happens if you try re-sharing the image?

The orientation wasn't random - so probably the base orientation. It didn't correct itself. In order to fix it, I had to mouse over every token and move them, then the client map immediately responded. I think I tried re-sharing and that didn't fix it. I'll have to double-check if there is anything else that fixes it. If it's an image control function, then it should also be layer independent - another thing to check. Is the image control link direct, or is it a message-handler type architecture at a higher level?

Another possibility is that if token drawing is first and FG is busy trying to load the image, it may be ignoring or dequeuing that part of the transaction as a consequence of other modal operations, where FG is heavily modal.

Patou
January 25th, 2016, 21:00
Is there a way to speed up loading time without having to use less tokens?

What is better.... importing a map into CC3 and adding to it or using the layers extension to add furniture??

Any advice?

Thanks

Trenloe
January 25th, 2016, 21:03
Is there a way to speed up loading time without having to use less tokens?
See post #124 above for a couple of options regarding token sizes and pre-sharing.

What is better.... importing a map into CC3 and adding to it or using the layers extension to add furniture??
The layer extension is primarily to allow dynamic token placement during the game, avoiding token stacking problems of having them all on the same layer. If you're happy making static furniture placement in a map image file outside of FG then that can be a good option.

Pidgeoni
January 27th, 2016, 14:31
Thank you so much for this extension, it is just what I needed :D

nickabbey
August 27th, 2016, 17:50
Just getting started with this one, seems really cool and useful.
In the intro/tutorial video from the OP, It references the Enhanced Encounters Extension.
I Can't seem to find that via forum search or in the pinned extensions thread.
I've not yet actually started using it, so I don't know if it "just works" in terms of remembering where encounter tokens are placed?
I'll be trying it shortly but I loaded it with a handful of other extensions and I'm playing around with all of it now.
Some feedback on what to expect, or where to find the enhanced encounter extension (If it is still relevant) would be greatly appreciated.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2016, 18:04
In the intro/tutorial video from the OP, It references the Enhanced Encounters Extension.
I Can't seem to find that via forum search or in the pinned extensions thread.
If you notice the date on that video - 2011, so a lot of the discussion of extensions is no longer relevant as the functionality is now in the standard rulesets (although not layers). The encounter functionality shown in the video is within the standard encounters window (has been for a while even at the time of that video). The specific enhancement Zeus shows in that video was adding a "Skill Challenge" option specific to the D&D 4E ruleset - which is also now in the standard FG D&D 4E ruleset.

Info on encounters here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_NPC_Sheet#Create_encounters

I've not yet actually started using it, so I don't know if it "just works" in terms of remembering where encounter tokens are placed?
As long as you use it correctly, then yes, it does remember token placement etc.. See this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA It's for Castles and Crusades, but the process is the same for all FG rulesets that are based on the CoreRPG ruleset.

nickabbey
August 27th, 2016, 18:14
Cool thanks for the clarification and fast response!

nickabbey
September 8th, 2016, 20:50
So I've been using this extension, and liking it a lot. I have a usability gripe though, and I'm hoping that there's just a better way to do it that I don't yet see?
Basically, since masking happens on the base layer, and all my tokens (PC and NPC) are on the top layer, I have to keep switching back to the base layer in order reveal portions of the map as my players move around. This slows down play a bit, and since I cannot see the top layer pc tokens when I switch to the base layer, I'm less precise than I'd like to be when revealing the map to them.

Is there a good way to solve this issue? Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach?

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 21:30
@nickabbey - Nicademus asked something similar recently. There is not an easy way to work around this - other than remembering where the important tokens are! ;) Masks can only be placed on the bottom layer as masks need to be on an image created from a file - this always has to be the bottom layer, for various reasons.

With what I learned with my recent experiences of creating the text label extension I've been thinking I might be able to do some form of "shadow" token/image widgets on the lower layers to give an indication of where tokens are on the higher levels. I'll look into it at some point, but this is not at the top of my list at present.

nickabbey
September 8th, 2016, 22:13
@nickabbey - Nicademus asked something similar recently. There is not an easy way to work around this - other than remembering where the important tokens are! ;) Masks can only be placed on the bottom layer as masks need to be on an image created from a file - this always has to be the bottom layer, for various reasons.

With what I learned with my recent experiences of creating the text label extension I've been thinking I might be able to do some form of "shadow" token/image widgets on the lower layers to give an indication of where tokens are on the higher levels. I'll look into it at some point, but this is not at the top of my list at present.

Understood, thanks!

Trenloe
September 10th, 2016, 03:24
So, the more I thought about this the more I realised it wouldn't be much work to implement.

Try the attached new v2 extension. This shows the tokens from the higher layers on the currently selected layer, but it shows them as "shadows" - basically, the same as a token that is set to invisible for players.

Let me know how it goes - remember to keep in mind the usual layer extension gotchas mentioned in posts #1 and #2!

Oh, and remember to deselect the "Enhanced Images (CoreRPG+)" and select "Enhanced Images v2 (CoreRPG+)". Don't run both extensions at once.

The shadow tokens will have their name (shown as a tooltip) starting with xPL or xFL to indicate which layer they originate from: play layer (top) or feature layer (middle), respectively. This is used in the code to remove the shadow tokens when the layer is exited, and it has a nice by product of letting the GM know which layer the original is on.

Unfortunately the shadow tokens can be interacted with by the GM - I'm not aware of anything to stop this. If you move the shadow tokens it won't have any effect on the original token and leaving the layer and returning to it will re-initialise the shadow tokens in the correct place.

*** v2 proof of concept extension removed. Functionality now in main extension - download from post #1

nickabbey
September 10th, 2016, 15:15
So, the more I thought about this the more I realised it wouldn't be much work to implement.

Try the attached new v2 extension. This shows the tokens from the higher layers on the currently selected layer, but it shows them as "shadows" - basically, the same as a token that is set to invisible for players.

Let me know how it goes - remember to keep in mind the usual layer extension gotchas mentioned in posts #1 and #2!

Oh, and remember to deselect the "Enhanced Images (CoreRPG+)" and select "Enhanced Images v2 (CoreRPG+)". Don't run both extensions at once.

The shadow tokens will have their name (shown as a tooltip) starting with xPL or xFL to indicate which layer they originate from: play layer (top) or feature layer (middle), respectively. This is used in the code to remove the shadow tokens when the layer is exited, and it has a nice by product of letting the GM know which layer the original is on.

Unfortunately the shadow tokens can be interacted with by the GM - I'm not aware of anything to stop this. If you move the shadow tokens it won't have any effect on the original token and leaving the layer and returning to it will re-initialise the shadow tokens in the correct place.

This is awesome, you work ridiculously fast. Thanks for all the time you put in man I hope everyone in the community really appreciates it. I known I do. I'll be trying this soon, and will give some feedback. I'm busy through Sunday evening though.

nickabbey
September 11th, 2016, 03:15

Works as advertised for me. Superb work, thanks!

LordEntrails
October 14th, 2016, 00:50
So, with hagrids 5E spell tokens I'm finally going to do this. Any reason to still use v1 and not v2 posted here near the end?

Trenloe
October 14th, 2016, 00:53
So, with hagrids 5E spell tokens I'm finally going to do this. Any reason to still use v1 and not v2 posted here near the end?
I've had no negative reports from it. Let me know how it goes. :)

Make sure you're clear on the process and the gotchas listed in posts #1 and #2.

Gwydion
October 14th, 2016, 17:45
Thanks for this work, Trenloe! I used the original extension but kept forgetting what layer I was on! I might go ahead and re-try to use this again. Its a great extension to begin with and this addition will put it over the top for me! I purchased the spell tokens so I agree with LordEntrails. Its a great time to try it again!

Salva
October 21st, 2016, 00:14
The other issue i have is that when i put token in the fisrt bottom layer the token names appears correctly but when i put them in the upper layer they dont appear.

bnickelsen
October 22nd, 2016, 16:23
What is the easiest way to move token between layers?

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2016, 16:27
What is the easiest way to move token between layers?
In the current version you need to delete the token and re-add it to the correct layer.

HoloGnome
October 24th, 2016, 14:19

Trenloe - does this version fix the issues with token rotation on the client side?

Also, there is a bug where a double grid appears when the image is zoomed all the way out. If you zoom in 1 notch, the problem goes away. It doesn't look like this version addresses that problem. For example, if you apply the grid to the bottom, then switch to the top while zoomed all the way out, you will see that the grid is misaligned vs. the map grid on the top layer (but what is happening is that there is actually another set of gridlines that is offset from the main ones -- see attached image. The other attached image is after zooming in 1 notch, where the problem vanishes. Anyway - the grids on all layers do not properly align when zoomed out.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 17:44
There seems to be a misunderstanding of the implications of FG image size and FG resources used, and how the layer extension works. I'll address each item below:

If using the layers extension, you should try to keep your maps to 500K or smaller (and more like 1-200K, if possible - the smaller the better to limit memory management issues in FG). Use .jpg compression when ripping maps and go as low as you can on quality. Even at relatively high compression factors, most .jpg maps for RPG still look OK.
Image file size is purely an implication when transferring (sharing) images to players. FG's old network stack is not very efficient (and single threaded) so the larger the file FG has to transfer the longer it takes and the more it "chokes" up the GM instance of FG.

When FG opens an image it stores all of the pixel information in memory. The more pixels there are in an image the more memory FG will use when the image is opened. The number of pixels has nothing to do with the file size/JPG quality but the resolution of the image. Original file size does not directly impact this.

The layers extensions is going to triple the transfer to the clients, since it has 3 layers.
This is incorrect. The layer extension only uses an image file on the bottom layer, so the image file is only transferred once to each client when initially shared.

The smaller the size of your map, the faster the transfer to clients and the less likely you will be to run afoul of memory management issues in FG.
Correct - file size does impact transfer to clients. Incorrect - the file size does not necessarily directly impact FG memory management proportionally (i.e. a 1MB file doesn't necessarily take twice as much memory in FG as a 0.5MB file). See my comments above regarding number of pixels.

What the layer extension does impact is local memory used - FG has to create three image controls in memory, all of the same dimension (pixel size) as the original image, and even if these are blank (invisible) pixels they will be taking up memory. Essentially, an image opened with three layers will occupy three times as much memory as the same image opened with 1 layer. Adding a mask will also take up memory.

HoloGnome
October 24th, 2016, 18:34
OK - I was assuming that the transfer was also 3x because of the significant image transfer slow-downs I see when using the extension, but maybe those are due to internal FG issues. I am aware of 3x the memory and, again, thought that was because of 3x the transfer. So, when I need to use the Layers extension, I have aggressively reduced map size (usually to < 200K). Sorry for any unintentional confusion on the image transfer. I have had better luck with smaller file sizes.

Hang on - from what you say, maybe my slow transfers were because I pre-masked the images. If a mask exists prior to sharing the image will it be transferred 3x or will it be cloned locally after the transfer?

Image size in memory has to be a combination of dimension and pixel depth. 1-bit < 8-bit < 24-bit, etc. Are you saying that FG creates max bit-depth bitmaps for all images regardless of the source image bit depth?

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 19:35
If a mask exists prior to sharing the image will it be transferred 3x or will it be cloned locally after the transfer?
There's only one mask - on the bottom layer. The other layers don't have masks.

Are you saying that FG creates max bit-depth bitmaps for all images regardless of the source image bit depth?
I don't know what FG uses for colour depth in memory. From what I see the original image colour depth makes no difference to FG memory use .

HoloGnome
October 24th, 2016, 19:46
Ah, right - yes only one mask. I did know that at one point. :) On bit depth, maybe all images are max depth.

Any thoughts on the misaligned grid issues? See above images.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 20:02
Also, there is a bug where a double grid appears when the image is zoomed all the way out. If you zoom in 1 notch, the problem goes away. It doesn't look like this version addresses that problem.
The new version purely adds token shadows on the lower levels, nothing else - no bug fixes, etc.. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=288715&viewfull=1#post288715

HoloGnome
October 24th, 2016, 21:09
OK - I understand. Thanks. I emailed you full map images of the token rotation/orientation problem that occurs after sharing maps with the client. To my notes in that email, you can add that showing/hiding the tokens on the host also does not fix the issue. Only rotating them does.

Trenloe
October 24th, 2016, 22:36
Moved @Salva's issue to it's own thread as I think it is system specific. Thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34617-D3D-and-Access-Issues-with-Enhanced-Images-Extension

HoloGnome
October 24th, 2016, 23:34
Per discussions with Trenloe: re-sharing the map a 2nd time causes the tokens to orient themselves correctly (but re-synching the image does not). Also, if I then unshare the map, then reshare it in the same client session, the tokens are right the 1st time. So, it seems like it only happens on the very 1st map share (but that is usually the case for every map you share in a client session). But, share twice to be sure.

On the grid misalignment when zoomed all the way out, it seems like it is related to the window scroll position. If I click on the gold scroll button in the lower right, the grid misalignment improves. To reproduce this issue, do the following:
1. With Layers active and a grid on the map, resize a map to its original size
2. Scroll back on the mouse wheel to zoom out the image (even though it is already at original size)

--> The grid misalignment will occur

3. Move one of the window edges so that the gold scroll button appears.
4. Click once on the scroll button (in place - do not drag)

--> The grid misalignment mostly goes away / improves

Zacchaeus
October 29th, 2016, 09:43
Hey, Trenloe. Look like there's a problem with enhanced images and v3.2. When the option to auto-centre is on every time the ct actor changes we get this

Runtime Notice: Host session started
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_active.lua"]:23: attempt to call field 'centerOnToken' (a nil value)

Trenloe
October 30th, 2016, 07:20
Hey, Trenloe. Look like there's a problem with enhanced images and v3.2. When the option to auto-centre is on every time the ct actor changes we get this

Runtime Notice: Host session started
Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_active.lua"]:23: attempt to call field 'centerOnToken' (a nil value)
Thanks for that.

I haven't updated any of my extensions to v3.2 yet. I'll only do that at the last moment (or usually just after release).

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2016, 01:44
Updated for FG v3.2.0 compatibility. You *MUST* run v2.0.1 of this extension for image compatibility in the newly released FG v3.2.0.

Note: Those you used the proof-of-concept v2 extension (token shadows on lower layer), this has now been rolled into the main extension - delete/disable the old proof-of-concept "Enhanced Images v2 (CoreRPG+)" extension and use "Enhanced Images (CoreRPG+)".

HoloGnome
November 3rd, 2016, 22:01
Tried the new one...but the shadows are a bit wonky. I can see the projected "shadow" token, but it's the wrong size and also wrong orientation. Trenloe - have you seen this issue?

In my setup, I see it while looking at the bottom layer, where the shadows are coming from tokens on the middle layer.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 22:05
Tried the new one...but the shadows are a bit wonky. I can see the projected "shadow" token, but it's the wrong size and also wrong orientation. Trenloe - have you seen this issue?

In my setup, I see it while looking at the bottom layer, where the shadows are coming from tokens on the middle layer.
I'm not doing anything with orientation, but I am sizing. Please provide an example?

Remember that these shadows are just meant to give an idea of what is on the upper levels to allow more accurate masking and feature token placement. It doesn't *have* to match the other layers 100% to allow you to do that.

HoloGnome
November 3rd, 2016, 22:21
OK - I see. Thanks. I guess my preference would be for the shadow to be in the correct orientation and size, especially since I have to unmask things without being able to see the top layer. I sent a couple of representative images via email. Is it possible to note/replicate the orientation and scaling?

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 01:52
v2.0.2 Update - fixes some issues with token shadow sizing and orientation.

Salva
November 11th, 2016, 07:52

Hi Trenloe
Is there a way to place by default this shortcuts in the top layer?
I think that the default place should be the top layer because they are not visible for players and also they are hard to be stacked with other tokens (have never passed to me) and the most part of the time as GM you spend it in the top layer so in that way you dont have to loose time changing layer to acces the shortcuts. I dont see any reason from them to be placed by default in the base layer.
Hope you understand what im saying.
Thank you

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 15:19
Is there a way to place by default this shortcuts in the top layer?
This can't be done with an extension as there are no API functions that manipulate shortcuts. I would have done so if it was possible.

Salva
November 11th, 2016, 16:21
Oh ok :(
Thanks

Trenloe
November 20th, 2016, 22:20
Update v2.0.3 in post #1. Fantasy Grounds v3.2.1 compatibility (minimum size removed) plus image original size right-click menu issue (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35046-Release-v3-2-1-is-live&p=302394&viewfull=1#post302394) fix and zoom indicator overlap fix.

Gwydion
November 21st, 2016, 00:02
Update v2.0.3 in post #1. Fantasy Grounds v3.2.1 compatibility (minimum size removed) plus image original size right-click menu issue (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35046-Release-v3-2-1-is-live&p=302394&viewfull=1#post302394) fix and zoom indicator overlap fix.

Awesome! Thanks Trenloe.

Answulf
December 30th, 2016, 19:43
Hey guys, I saw this extension mentioned in another thread and am interested, but I'm having a hard time understanding the practical application of the additional functionality. What does this allow you to do that you can't already do with hidden tokens? Are there screenshots out there somewhere?

Trenloe
December 30th, 2016, 20:20
Hey guys, I saw this extension mentioned in another thread and am interested, but I'm having a hard time understanding the practical application of the additional functionality. What does this allow you to do that you can't already do with hidden tokens? Are there screenshots out there somewhere?
This is mainly to get around token stacking issues - allowing underlying tokens, such as walls/rooms, features (tables, chairs, etc.), spell area effects, vehicles/mounts, etc. to be used without interfering with the PC/NPC/Monster tokens - have you ever tried to have large tokens indicating, for example a boat, on a map - they usually end up on top of the other tokens and you need to move it out of the way to see the other tokens.

There's a video linked in the first post that gives you an idea of what it's about. If you're interested make sure you read, and digest, the info/gotchas in posts 1 and 2 of this thread.

Answulf
December 30th, 2016, 20:30
https://images.clipartpanda.com/thinking-light-bulb-clip-art-sketch-idea.gif

Ah, gotcha - missed the video link. Yes, that is very useful... will definitely check it out!

Answulf
December 30th, 2016, 20:31
Oops - double post.

jwfitt
January 10th, 2017, 07:01
I didn't see this mentioned in the issues list on the first page, but I'm having trouble trying to export modules from a campaign with this extension enabled.

If I create a map and start adding pins, and then export that campaign as a module, when I import it into another the game the pins are all gone.

I've tested this pretty extensively, and the same exact steps taken on a campaign without the extension turned on will export as expected and the pins are fine.

damned
January 10th, 2017, 07:07
I didn't see this mentioned in the issues list on the first page, but I'm having trouble trying to export modules from a campaign with this extension enabled.

If I create a map and start adding pins, and then export that campaign as a module, when I import it into another the game the pins are all gone.

I've tested this pretty extensively, and the same exact steps taken on a campaign without the extension turned on will export as expected and the pins are fine.

Welcome jwfitt
What layer are you putting your pins on?
Can you put them on the top layer and retry?

jwfitt
January 10th, 2017, 07:15
I have been testing them on the top-most layer of my maps with Enhanced Images enabled.

After doing another series of tests and putting pins on all 3 layers, only the pins on the bottom-most layer appear when I export it as a module and then load that module in another campaign.

Image just showing the "bottom-most layer," which does export fine.
All other pins on mid or top layers are lost ort invisible upon loading the exported module.

damned
January 10th, 2017, 07:30
Trenloe maybe add something to this line about exporting pins?

Trenloe
January 10th, 2017, 18:49
This is because the FG export architecture doesn't allow for the layers - it only exports the bottom layer (which uses the standard non-layer FG name). The only impact of this is for pushpins, as tokens and drawings don't get exported even without this extension. I've added a new issue in post #2 that mentions this.

jwfitt
January 10th, 2017, 18:52
This is because the FG export architecture doesn't allow for the layers - it only exports the bottom layer (which uses the standard non-layer FG name). The only impact of this is for pushpins, as tokens and drawings don't get exported even without this extension. I've added a new issue in post #2 that mentions this.

The best workflow I found is to build my modules with the pins on that core, bottom layer.

When I want to share a pin with players, I can go to the bottom layer, open the story entry, switch to the top-most layer, and then drop and share a pin on that layer.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2017, 18:56
The best workflow I found is to build my modules with the pins on that core, bottom layer.

When I want to share a pin with players, I can go to the bottom layer, open the story entry, switch to the top-most layer, and then drop and share a pin on that layer.
Yeah, this is probably the best workaround. It also means that your image exports remain compatible with base Fantasy Grounds, in case you ever wanted to use the module in a campaign without the layers extension (perish the thought!)

jwfitt
January 10th, 2017, 19:14
To clarify, you cannot create any player-shared pins in the creation of a module you plan to load and use in a main campaign (or share), because the only pins that will export must be on the bottom layer, and players opening a shared image/map will see those green shared pins, but be unable to click them because they can only see and access the top layer.

In order to have exportable pins, you must build them all on the base layer and no player-shared pins can/should be created in a module you plan to export and load in a different campaign.

To get around this, you should create/share the player viewable pins within the actual campaign itself.

For example, if I want to have a DM pin with info about a location on a Forgotten Realms map, I can create that in my master world building module. Then in my actual gameplay campaign, when players learn or hear about that location, I can open the pin (from my base layer), switch to the top-most layer (that players can see), and drop a copy of the pin there and then share it.

christophersons
January 17th, 2017, 01:07
I'm using 3.2.2 and there is a combat tracker problem when I use this extension with Savage Worlds. Attack and damage bids are not working.

Trenloe
January 17th, 2017, 01:50
I'm using 3.2.2 and there is a combat tracker problem when I use this extension with Savage Worlds. Attack and damage bids are not working.
This extension is not compatible with Savage Worlds.

seycyrus
January 17th, 2017, 03:19
Trenloe,

I am working with the new Gurps ruleset, and tried out your extension. It seems to be working with a hex map. I opened base image (grass jpg), added some tree tokens on the backgrounds layer. I then put a square grid on the top layer, and changed it to hex. Put a player token on the top layer. and things seem to work smoothly.

At the top o fthis thread, I see a few disclaimers about this not working with a hex grid ...? What am I missing? Seems to be working great!

Trenloe
January 17th, 2017, 03:29
At the top o fthis thread, I see a few disclaimers about this not working with a hex grid ...? What am I missing? Seems to be working great!
That was based off this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=166233&viewfull=1#post166233

Maybe the work around is to set a square grid first?

seycyrus
January 17th, 2017, 03:42
That was based off this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=166233&viewfull=1#post166233

Maybe the work around is to set a square grid first?

Perhaps. It seems to be working very nicely as i mentioned. I have not yet tested it with other players. Only myself running a GM and player instance.

Trenloe
January 20th, 2017, 03:51
Version 2.0.4 available in post #1.

You *must* update to this version for Fantasy Grounds v3.2.2 compatibility.

ShadowM
January 20th, 2017, 23:13
Mask options and navigator are only available when bottom layers is selected. I do not remember if this is the norm from previous versions.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2017, 00:21
Mask options and navigator are only available when bottom layers is selected. I do not remember if this is the norm from previous versions.
Welcome to the forums ShadowM.

Yep, that's normal.

danielhalond
February 6th, 2017, 12:36
Is it possible to allow players to control the Feature layer instead of the Play layer?

Thanks

Zacchaeus
February 6th, 2017, 13:31
I don't think so. The whole point is that the DM gets two additional layers to do stuff in that the players don't see. So giving the players access would kind of defeat that objective.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2017, 13:42
The whole point is that the DM gets two additional layers to do stuff in that the players don't see.
The extra layers don't hide anything from the players, they allow wider use of tokens without the usual issues of token stacking (tokens getting in the way of each other, etc.).

@danielhalond An additional layer that the players can access, for things like spell effects, mounts, etc. is something I've been toying with and might be added in the future.

danielhalond
February 6th, 2017, 14:41
I wanted to cast a shadow in my map, above players, but that wont work cause even if I use a shadow token at the third layer (upper one), when someone clicks another token on third layer will alter the order. I don't want to mask, I want to darken stuff, players included.

Another thing. I am testing a map I done using hexels, basicaly a isometric hexagonal map. I was wondering if it its possible to make FG load a different token everytime it is rotated.

The issue i'm facing is: the rotation works perfectly for top down maps, and not so good if you change the angle. I know it isn't its original purpose, but maybe, if it could load another token when it rotates, there could be another token facing the right direction.
Thanks

Trenloe
February 6th, 2017, 15:19
I wanted to cast a shadow in my map, above players, but that wont work cause even if I use a shadow token at the third layer (upper one), when someone clicks another token on third layer will alter the order. I don't want to mask, I want to darken stuff, players included.
I doubt that type of functionality will ever be available through this extensions.

Another thing. I am testing a map I done using hexels, basicaly a isometric hexagonal map. I was wondering if it its possible to make FG load a different token everytime it is rotated.
That type of functionality isn't available in the base FG code. Maybe someone could write an extension to swap token images based off the initial filename with a _1, _2, _3 added to token filenames for the different rotations. But, this would all be custom code and custom right-click menus on the tokens (of which there are very limited free spots available) or a new button within the image toolbar.

danielhalond
February 6th, 2017, 15:40
I could create a shadow as token, with transparency, if I could change the layers order, so players wouldn't be able to click it and it would be always above their tokens.

Do you think it would be too hard for me to code that custom token menu? I'm not a programmer.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2017, 16:02
It would all be quite complex to try to make any changes to this extension beyond what it does now.

danielhalond
February 6th, 2017, 16:13
How about creating another extension? Do you think adding that rotate feature would be too hard for an inexperienced person to code?

Trenloe
February 6th, 2017, 17:08
How about creating another extension? Do you think adding that rotate feature would be too hard for an inexperienced person to code?
I would imagine it will be pretty hard as it will be diving into the underlying functionality of tokens. With assistance it would be doable (assuming you pick up the FG coding process and are prepared to do some learning) - but I don't have time to assist at this point. Too much on.

rob2e
February 8th, 2017, 04:29
Trenloe,

Seems v2.0.4 is not hiding revealed tokens under shading.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 04:46
Trenloe,

Seems v2.0.4 is not hiding revealed tokens under shading.

It never has, because the mask can only hide what is on it's own layer (the bottom layer) - see the "Things to note" in post #1: "As masking only works on the base layer, anything that the GM wants to mask should be put on the base layer - tokens that are used for mapping, etc.. If you want to hide NPC tokens don't put them on the base layer, put them on the top layer and use the individual token "visibility" setting (or the visibility setting for the NPC in the combat tracker) to hide/reveal the token to the players."

rob2e
February 8th, 2017, 05:05
It never has, because the mask can only hide what is on it's own layer (the bottom layer) - see the "Things to note" in post #1: "As masking only works on the base layer, anything that the GM wants to mask should be put on the base layer - tokens that are used for mapping, etc.. If you want to hide NPC tokens don't put them on the base layer, put them on the top layer and use the individual token "visibility" setting (or the visibility setting for the NPC in the combat tracker) to hide/reveal the token to the players."

The combat tracker puts mobs on the top layer. That's where they are by default. They aren't shaded.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 05:17
They aren't shaded.
Can you expand on what you mean by "shaded" please? Because I'm confused by what you're saying. As I mentioned above, the mask can't make tokens on any other layer invisible. If this is not what you're referring to then please provide a lot more information regarding what you're referring to. Thanks.

rob2e
February 8th, 2017, 05:39
Can you expand on what you mean by "shaded" please? Because I'm confused by what you're saying. As I mentioned above, the mask can't make tokens on any other layer invisible. If this is not what you're referring to then please provide a lot more information regarding what you're referring to. Thanks.

I shade (cover in gray) the entire map so players cannot see what is there. Then I uncover a certain area to expose the dungeon. When a token is moved back under the gray without the layer extension, FG REshades that token automatically. With your layers extension it does not. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. It makes sense to me, but maybe I'm saying it wrong or using words that mean something else to each of us (like shade).

If need be, I can make a video on you tube to show you.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 05:48
Thanks for that. What you refer to as "shade" is the FG mask: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Masking. That is what was confusing me.

As the info from post #1 I quoted above mentions, masking only works on the base layer, as you can only mask an image control that contains an actual image file. Mask sensitive visibility of tokens can only work on a layer that has a mask. As the tokens are on the top layer, which does not have a mask, then they can't be made visible/invisible by the mask on the bottom layer. Hence the comment regarding manually making he tokens visible/invisible.

rob2e
February 8th, 2017, 06:14
Thanks for that. What you refer to as "shade" is the FG mask: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Masking. That is what was confusing me.

As the info from post #1 I quoted above mentions, masking only works on the base layer, as you can only mask an image control that contains an actual image file. Mask sensitive visibility of tokens can only work on a layer that has a mask. As the tokens are on the top layer, which does not have a mask, then they can't be made visible/invisible by the mask on the bottom layer. Hence the comment regarding manually making he tokens visible/invisible.

OK, I get it now. So forgive me for asking, but my question now is, if the tokens on the top layer CANNOT be auto shade under the mask, and that layer is the only layer players can affect their tokens, what is the advantage of the layers? It seems now that having the layers extension installed only ADDS work to DMing since I have to manually shade/unshade each MPB token. What am I missing here?

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 06:23
Explained in the first paragraph of post #1. Think of the different ways you can use tokens for more than just creatures - if you don't have layers you get very annoying token stacking issues, where you can't control,which token is on top of which. The layers get round the stacking issue and allow you to use tokens for so much more.

The layers extension isn't for everybody. If you're not using the advantages provided by the layers then the limitations/gotchas aren't worth it.

rob2e
February 8th, 2017, 06:28
Explained in the first paragraph of post #1. Think of the different ways you can use tokens for more than just creatures - if you don't have layers you get very annoying token stacking issues, where you can't control,which token is on top of which. The layers get round the stacking issue and allow you to use tokens for so much more.

The layers extension isn't for everybody. If you're not using the advantages provided by the layers then the limitations/gotchas aren't worth it.

I guess I'm not willing to trade those benefits for the hassle of manual showing and showing individual tokens. I could SWEAR that before the last couple updates, it used to do what I want. Am I crazy? Also (maybe a big ask) but could the top and bottom layers be swapped to accomplish what I'm asking?

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 06:28
Additionally, if you think how many times you actually rely on the mask controlling token visibility, I'd imagine that you really don't use it that much. NPC tokens are usually put on the map invisible to start with, so token visibility would only come into play once you've made the tokens visible and then either changed the mask to be over the token or move the token to a masked area. It's very little extra work to manually make the token invisible for these less than common cases. But YMMV, if you thinks it's too much hassle then don't use the layers.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 06:30
It's always worked this way.

Also (maybe a big ask) but could the top and bottom layers be swapped to accomplish what I'm asking?
You can only mask the base map file. If that was the top layer then you wouldn't be able to see the layers below as he map file would completely hide them.

rob2e
February 8th, 2017, 06:40
I guess I'm not willing to trade those benefits for the hassle of manual showing and showing individual tokens. I could SWEAR that before the last couple updates, it used to do what I want. Am I crazy? Also (maybe a big ask) but could the top and bottom layers be swapped to accomplish what I'm asking?

Ya, I guess I just got spoiled, I use that functionality A LOT! Maybe every session. I am constantly moving active combatants into a darkened area, and now when I do it the players are constantly saying, "you know we can still see that guy right?" If I don't use the layers, it works great. I hate to NOT use the layers becasue I do like the idea of covering words on a map with bushes that I don't want players to see, and etc.,etc. the things layers can do, but the auto hiding of the tokens is really too improtant (to me) so... DAMN! I guess I'm out. I just don't get why it USED to work and not doesn't.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 06:48
I just don't get why it USED to work and not doesn't.
It never did on the top layer.

You may be confusing the false tokens that appear on the bottom layer as guides for manipulation of the mask. These aren't the real tokens, just false tokens that are removed when you leave the bottom layer. The visibility of the actual tokens on the top layer have never been influenced by the mask.

Gwydion
February 8th, 2017, 13:52
Ya, I guess I just got spoiled, I use that functionality A LOT! Maybe every session. I am constantly moving active combatants into a darkened area, and now when I do it the players are constantly saying, "you know we can still see that guy right?" If I don't use the layers, it works great. I hate to NOT use the layers becasue I do like the idea of covering words on a map with bushes that I don't want players to see, and etc.,etc. the things layers can do, but the auto hiding of the tokens is really too improtant (to me) so... DAMN! I guess I'm out. I just don't get why it USED to work and not doesn't.

Yeah, this has always been a limitation for me too. I keep it as I do like to add environmental tokens and things. Sometimes for basic one-shots I don't use it as it isn't needed. I've never had it work the way you're describing you thought it worked with preior versions.

Dracius
February 10th, 2017, 01:53
I do like the idea of covering words on a map with bushes that I don't want players to see, and etc.,etc.

I can see why for your usage scenario, not having the layer extension may be the best option. If you're only using it for a limited subset of tasks then I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I've only begun scratching the surface of what's possible with this extension and I can't see going back to a single layer. I use it for tracking spell effects with the 5e Spell Effects module, I also used it for changing up the map on the fly. It's encouraged me to pick up even more token sets, so that I can do things like completely change the layout of a dungeon as the group goes through it, or add objects to rooms to make for more interesting combat.

My campaign currently involves a story arc that consists of a LOT of darkness and viability effects, so tokens are being hidden and unhidden frequently, but you need only double click the token to select it in the CT and vice-versa. Likewise you can hide just the token and not the CT entry with a simple right click. Doesn't really tell the group anything they don't already know by being able to see it in the CT but not on the map.

El Condoro
February 20th, 2017, 06:14
In 21 pages of this thread, this has probably been asked but anyway...

Is it possible to allow layer 2 to show pointers? For example, I want to set up a 20 ft. and 40 ft. concentric circles to indicate the effect of a light spell. I don't want them to interfere with tokens on the top layer. However, if I put pointers on layer 2, they can't be seen by players.

Trenloe
February 20th, 2017, 06:28
Is it possible to allow layer 2 to show pointers? For example, I want to set up a 20 ft. and 40 ft. concentric circles to indicate the effect of a light spell. I don't want them to interfere with tokens on the top layer. However, if I put pointers on layer 2, they can't be seen by players.
I can't reproduce this. I can put pointers, etc. on layer 2 as the GM and the players can see them fine. This is one of the underlying functions of this extension - "stuff" on each layer is visible to the players.

Can you give more details please: Ruleset being used, steps to reproduce.

Trenloe
February 20th, 2017, 06:37
And what version of the extension are you running? The version is reported in the chat window after the campaign loads, you should be running v2.0.4.

El Condoro
February 20th, 2017, 07:40
Well, that is strange. I just retried it and it works. The only change was that I shut down FG and restarted it. Memory? It is the 5e ruleset and it is 2.0.4 for 3.2.2. Sorry to waste your time. All good now.

Trenloe
February 20th, 2017, 16:25
Sorry to waste your time. All good now.
No worries. :)

Zeruel_Kagenie
April 14th, 2017, 23:46
Enhanced Images (layers) v2.0.4 is not working with Fantasy Grounds 3.3.0. Tokens do not auto-scale to the grid in the 2nd and 3rd layer. Only working with the first layer in the D&D 5e ruleset.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2017, 00:24
Enhanced Images (layers) v2.0.4 is not working with Fantasy Grounds 3.3.0. Tokens do not auto-scale to the grid in the 2nd and 3rd layer. Only working with the first layer in the D&D 5e ruleset.
Thanks for reporting. I haven't reviewed this extension for FG v3.3.0 compatibility. I'll get to it over the next couple of days.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2017, 01:03
Update to the Enhanced Image Extension (layers) for FG v3.3.0 compatibility.

You must update to v2.0.5 of the extension.

Updated extension available in post #1.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2017, 01:48
Very quick update to this.

I've added the auto image resize functionality - download v2.0.5a - so you can use layers and auto resize in your face-to-face games.

Info on auto resize here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

ColinBuckler
April 15th, 2017, 12:44
Cool - one less extension to manage now that the image resize has been added.

Any chance you can add notification regarding the /tvsize command to the notification when start as well as "/tvsize" returning the command syntax to help new users?

Trenloe
April 15th, 2017, 15:27
Any chance you can add notification regarding the /tvsize command to the notification when start as well as "/tvsize" returning the command syntax to help new users?
Good idea. Done. Minor update V2.0.5b available in post #1.

ColinBuckler
April 15th, 2017, 16:29
Wow - quick turn around!!!

Rades
April 23rd, 2017, 09:10
Hi Trenloe, I'm getting script errors when using this extension. It happens when I drop new tokens onto an image, or when I toggle between different layers. I am using Enhanced Images v2.0.5b and 5E ruleset v3.3.0 Fantasy Grounds. I disabled all other extensions to make sure it was Enhanced Images causing this, and I think it is - I only get the errors with Enhanced Images.

The script errors I'm getting are:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_image.lua"]:58: attempt to call field 'getDatabaseNode' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_image.lua"]:72: attempt to call field 'getDatabaseNode' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_image.lua"]:58: attempt to call field 'getDatabaseNode' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_image.lua"]:72: attempt to call field 'getDatabaseNode' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'image.lua: onGridStateChanged. Image control = play_image'
Runtime Notice: s'image.lua: onGridStateChanged. Image control = features_image'
Runtime Notice: s'image.lua: onGridStateChanged. Image control = image'
Runtime Notice: s'image.lua: onGridStateChanged. Calling updateDisplay.'

etc. I don't know if this is helpful, but besides the script errors, the token I am dropping on the image doesn't scale to the grid, instead coming in at full size.

Thanks in advance!

Bidmaron
April 23rd, 2017, 14:55
Rades, he is going to ask you if it happens on an empty campaign (or nearly empty) most likely, so if you want to shortcut your answer, you should try a new campaign created in 3.3.0 and add just the fundamentals to try what was bombing.

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2017, 17:36
Hi Trenloe, I'm getting script errors when using this extension. It happens when I drop new tokens onto an image, or when I toggle between different layers. I am using Enhanced Images v2.0.5b and 5E ruleset v3.3.0 Fantasy Grounds. I disabled all other extensions to make sure it was Enhanced Images causing this, and I think it is - I only get the errors with Enhanced Images.

etc. I don't know if this is helpful, but besides the script errors, the token I am dropping on the image doesn't scale to the grid, instead coming in at full size.

Thanks for reporting, I've found what the issue is. It works fine until an image is closed, then the errors start appearing. Looking into a fix...

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2017, 18:34
Bug fix update - v2.05c available in post #1.

Fixes script errors caused after the first time an image window had been closed. Errors reported in post #222: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=334171&viewfull=1#post334171

FG v3.3.0 has a new onClose function for the image window, this was clashing with the extension's onClose function. Should be fixed now, download and install v2.0.5c.

Rades
April 23rd, 2017, 18:54
So fast! Thanks Trenloe!

Meliath1742
April 30th, 2017, 23:41
Ok, tried to use the Enhanced Images extension tonight...and had some issues. It goes into a rolling script error when I try to "lock tokens" movement (see images). It all clears up if I unlock the tokens.1876718768. I've tried to ensure my ext's are up to date. Any ideas?

Trenloe
May 1st, 2017, 00:41
Ok, tried to use the Enhanced Images extension tonight...and had some issues. It goes into a rolling script error when I try to "lock tokens" movement (see images). It all clears up if I unlock the tokens.1876718768. I've tried to ensure my ext's are up to date. Any ideas?
I'm afraid it's not compatible with Savage Worlds. See the first "Things to Note" in post #1. At some point, maybe once the updated Savage Worlds ruleset that is currently in test comes out, I plan to make a Savage Worlds compatible version.

Meliath1742
May 1st, 2017, 11:08
I'm afraid it's not compatible with Savage Worlds. See the first "Things to Note" in post #1. At some point, maybe once the updated Savage Worlds ruleset that is currently in test comes out, I plan to make a Savage Worlds compatible version.

Ok, my bad. Thanks for the clarification.

Trenloe
May 10th, 2017, 02:51
V2.0.5d May 9th, 2017: Very minor update. Resize to grid functionality now caters for dynamic toolbars and different sized image window frames to display the full, resized, image.

Chadarius
May 14th, 2017, 00:20
Trenloe,

Thanks for everything you do. I love this extension! However, I had to unload it today. I tried the latest version and I a still getting very weird things happening with the grid when I zoom. The grid, the tokens, and the map pins, all continue to zoom and go out of place while the map says in one location.

Is this something I'm doing that I can fix or a problem with the latest 3.3.0 update?

Trenloe
May 14th, 2017, 03:28
Trenloe,

Thanks for everything you do. I love this extension! However, I had to unload it today. I tried the latest version and I a still getting very weird things happening with the grid when I zoom. The grid, the tokens, and the map pins, all continue to zoom and go out of place while the map says in one location.

Is this something I'm doing that I can fix or a problem with the latest 3.3.0 update?
I'm not sure what is going on here. Please provide screenshot to show what's happening. Thanks. Also, please provide a screenshot of the chat window after campaign load - so I can see the versions of the rulsets and extensions loaded.

Rades
May 31st, 2017, 10:53
We experienced the same issue as Chadarius in our game last weekend. It's hard to explain, but fortunately I record our games so I'm able to show you exactly what happens. The weirdness occurs when zooming in/out & panning the map. The first 10 seconds shows the chat window on campaign load, then after it shows the grid/map stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqcYxNMXb04

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 15:14
We experienced the same issue as Chadarius in our game last weekend. It's hard to explain, but fortunately I record our games so I'm able to show you exactly what happens. The weirdness occurs when zooming in/out & panning the map. The first 10 seconds shows the chat window on campaign load, then after it shows the grid/map stuff.

Thanks for providing the video - that helps a lot.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise that this was a player view, not the GM.

Can you ask the GM to check what size that image file is? I think this occurs if one (or both) of the image dimensions are less than 500 pixels.

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 16:44

I found what's causing the issue. The base FG settings for the image control will create the play and features layer at a minimum of 500x500, even if the image file is smaller than this - thus these layers will be 500x500 in size for small maps, which results in them slipping/being offset from the underlying map image.

Fix to come...

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 16:58
v2.0.5e bugfix release.

Fixes grid slip/alignment issues for maps below 500x500 pixels in size. Video of issue here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)&p=340210&viewfull=1#post340210 Thanks Rades! :)

The issue is due to the base Fantasy Grounds image control having it's minimum drawing size set at 500x500 pixels. The layer extension uses these drawings for the feature and play layers (middle and top, respectively). If the base map image is less than 500x500 pixels, FG will make the middle and top layers 500x500 - which results in grid and token slip/misalignment when panning/zooming. This can't be changed programmatically with the setDrawingSize (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/imagecontrol.xcp#setDrawingSize) command as FG won't go below this 500x500 minimum. So, the only solution is to reduce this minimum drawing size in the FG XML specification.

The bugfix in v2.0.5e reduces the minimum to 200x200 - so don't use maps any smaller than this. The downside is that if you create a new blank map through the FG interface (new map), then it will be 200x200 pixels in size - and the expand image right-click functionality doesn't really work with the layer extension. So, I'd recommend you don't use the base blank FG new image functionality with this extension. Have a nice blank image (say 1000x1000) that you can use as a base map if you want to have something similar to the blank FG map.

Note: Installing this extension will not immediately fix any previously opened images - as FG has already set the drawing size to 500x500 in the campaign.

The quick way to fix this is to go to <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name>\drawings and delete all of the drawing_xxxxxxx.png files that are 500x500 pixcels in size. This would remove any drawings you've made on the images using the freehand drawing tool. It won't impact the mask, as this is stored elsewhere.

Rades
May 31st, 2017, 17:26
Oops, forgot to mention it was player view, haha. But glad you realized! Thanks for the quick fix, Trenloe!

I'll test this when I get home from a DM perspective. The only thing I'm worried about is that I did have this happen to me (as a GM) once before as well, but it was with an image definitely larger than 500x500 (ironically I thought the problem might have been an image TOO large in terms of dimensions). But it only happened to me once, and I didn't have video evidence, so I didn't mention it earlier or post here about it at the time.

Mind you, I got around the problem then by completely deleting the map out of the Fantasy Grounds images folder, then putting it in again with a different name, and that seemed to fix it. So maybe it was still a problem with the drawing_xxxxxxx.png files? In any case, will report back if this happens again. :)

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 18:41
So maybe it was still a problem with the drawing_xxxxxxx.png files?
I think it probably is related to these. If it happens again for a large image please ZIP up the whole directory for the campaign in question and PM me a link to download. I'll then look at the image, the FG database and the drawing files and see if I can work out what's going on.

Glad
June 15th, 2017, 13:51
Hello, not 100% sure it comes from this extension, but I still have my players experimenting this zoom strange behavior described here. Also have couple of players that have randomly the mask not working correctly, they don't see when I discover part of the fog, only deleting the full mask works.

After couple of tries if finally worked well last night, but rather randomly...no cache reset..
Maps are all officials PotA maps...many players also have error warning messages when I first launch the map. With no impact though..

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2017, 15:31
Hello, not 100% sure it comes from this extension, but I still have my players experimenting this zoom strange behavior described here. Also have couple of players that have randomly the mask not working correctly, they don't see when I discover part of the fog, only deleting the full mask works.

After couple of tries if finally worked well last night, but rather randomly...no cache reset..
Maps are all officials PotA maps...many players also have error warning messages when I first launch the map. With no impact though..
Have them send the warning messages and let us know what they say, those will be important to figuring out what might be the issue.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2017, 15:37
Hello, not 100% sure it comes from this extension, but I still have my players experimenting this zoom strange behavior described here.
Please provide a screenshot of the chat window after campaign load showing the rulesets and extensions loaded.

And, yeah, please provide details of any error messages received.

mordkhaan
June 30th, 2017, 05:01
Is it just me or is the #1 post attachment still the old version?

Trenloe
June 30th, 2017, 05:57
Is it just me or is the #1 post attachment still the old version?
The filename doesn't change. If the filename changed, you would have to remove the old extension from your campaigns and enable the new one.

If your chat window on loading a campaign with the extension enabled says "Enhanced Images (layers) v2.0.5e ..." then you're OK. If not, download the extension in post #1 and put it in your <FG app data>\extensions directory.

mordkhaan
June 30th, 2017, 06:27
Oh great! thanks, didnt want to load and then risk messing up some map images

Laramie Wall
June 30th, 2017, 14:05
Hey, this looks AMAZING. I'm one of those weird "hex grid" users so I'm out in the cold, but this is a great extension I'll pass on to friends. Great job.

Blackfoot
July 2nd, 2017, 21:00
Hey, this looks AMAZING. I'm one of those weird "hex grid" users so I'm out in the cold, but this is a great extension I'll pass on to friends. Great job.Yeah.. maybe someday there will be more love for the HEX. :(

Nylanfs
July 3rd, 2017, 23:58
With Starfinder there definitely will be.

ILUVATAR77
August 26th, 2017, 01:51
hi guys.
i'm having an issue with this extension. when i use it to add layers to a map, the mask mode gets deactivated (i use mask mode for fog of war simulation). not even the theatre mask icon works.

LordEntrails
August 26th, 2017, 15:22
Mask only works on the bottom (?) layer. Make sure you have the right layer active etc.

Bidmaron
August 26th, 2017, 22:36
Sorry wrong thread