PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about doing Wednesday night AP campaign

jasonthelamb
January 11th, 2014, 05:37
So I've never ran an adventure path before, but I was thinking about running one and chaining some adventure paths to take characters from like 1-15 or something of that sort. Any recommendations for either 3.5 or Pathfinder APs that are fun for everyone involved?

Trenloe
January 11th, 2014, 08:15
If you're specifically referring to the Paizo 6 book "adventure path" products then all of them are pretty good, with differing themes and with some of the later ones usually introducing some kind of additional mechanic to cover a specific aspect of the campaign.

The main things to help decide which ones are a good fit for you are:

What role-play to combat ratio do you like? Are you OK with dungeon crawls?
Do you like a sand-box environment (players actions can change the story dramatically) or would you prefer to "lead" the players between the main parts of the adventures.
What type of environment do you want to play in? e.g. deep underground, city based, wilderness based, a "great-trek", maritime, desert, jungle, etc..
what kind of theme do you like?

The above might help to identify a few of the 13 (currently) 6-part Paizo adventure paths out there. Some examples, in no particular order:

Curse of the Crimson Throne (3.5e). A city based, court intrigue based campaign. Recognised by some as one of the best APs Paizo have done - if you're into more role-playing/investigation.
Carrion Crown - is a horror based chase/crusade across mist shrouded Ustalav. Different parts concentrate on various core horror genres. Good mixture of RP and combat in the scenarios - some sections are dungeon crawls.
Rise of the Runelords - the one that introduced everyone to Sandpoint, Varisia and Golarion in general. A great campaign to prevent the return of evil with some very good/fun/interesting activities along the way.
Kingmaker - a wilderness based (initially), sandbox adventure where the players are send to a section of untamed lands to clear out troublemakers and found their own kingdom. Has detailed kingdom building rules and activities.
Skulls-and Shackles - "kingmaker" on the open seas! Become a pirate and sail around gaining infamy and fortune. Includes ship owning/combat mechanics. Note: as designed this adventure path is the most "non good" AP so far. Players have to want to become pirates or are prepared to go that way - otherwise the GM will have to spend a lot of time redesigning a lot of the storyline and quests.
Second Darkness (3.5e). An underdark/dark elves based adventure path.
Council of thieves "is a gritty, urban adventure of organized crime, corrupt officials, and ancient curses"
Serpent's Skull - "Indiana Jones" type action primarily in the jungles. The most combat oriented adventure path so far.
Jade Regent - a travel/oriental based AP taking the PCs over the crown of the world to Tien Xia. Includes caravan building mechanics.
Wrath of the Righteous - get involved in trying to stem the demon tide from the Worldwound.
Reign of winter - region/world/time hopping adventure involving Baba Yaga.

jasonthelamb
January 11th, 2014, 12:27
I wasn't strictly talking about Paizo books, and I could pretty much get into any type of game as long as it's a good one, I was just wondering - based on past user experience, which APs were good.

Trenloe
January 11th, 2014, 12:33
Some more info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19773-RP-heavy-pathfinder-modules

In post #4 I mention AdventureAWeek scenarios. Fantasy Grounds modules for A0 and A1 are currently available in the FG Store (as well as B1 and B2) and A2 will be available soon. Also the AaW campaign guide to the main base of operations - the village of Rybalka is available.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=&sys=-1&pub=22&typ=-1&x=9&y=13&sort=1

These ready to run in Fantasy Grounds adventures would be a good way of you getting a campaign up and running in Fantasy Grounds with the minimum of FG prep.

Trenloe
January 11th, 2014, 12:35
Some more info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19773-RP-heavy-pathfinder-modules

In post #4 I mention AdventureAWeek scenarios. Fantasy Grounds modules for A0 and A1 are currently available in the FG Store (as well as B1 and B2) and A2 will be available soon. Also the AaW campaign guide to the main base of operations - the village of Rybalka is available.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=&sys=-1&pub=22&typ=-1&x=9&y=13&sort=1

These ready to run in Fantasy Grounds adventures would be a good way of you getting a campaign up and running in Fantasy Grounds with the minimum of FG prep.

The AaW scenario guide gives a list of all of the scenarios they publish, including a suggested way of linking certain scenarios together to make a campaign: https://adventureaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/AaW-Series-Guide.pdf

jasonthelamb
January 11th, 2014, 12:36
I don't mind prep time, haha - I was just wanting peoples opinions on what they found to be the funnest. I was thinking Carrion Crown or Rise of the Runelords after you listed off those, though -they sound fun and interesting.

Trenloe
January 11th, 2014, 14:26
I was thinking Carrion Crown or Rise of the Runelords after you listed off those, though -they sound fun and interesting.I've ran the first part of both and am currently running part 2 of Carrion Crown. Both APs are very good fun to play and run.

JerryRig
January 11th, 2014, 18:32
I'd like someone to run one of these:

•Council of thieves
•Serpent's Skull