PDA

View Full Version : How do I build a monster only Module?

goonalan
January 10th, 2014, 02:05
So I've input a bunch of scenarios, for each I've tinkered a little with the monsters (NPCs) in line with MM3 damage in 4e- and a few other things which we employ in our campaign. To save time I thought I'd try to make one big Monster module gathering up all of the monsters I've altered in to one module.

So I went to scenario #1 and created a module exporting the personalities only- called it Monster Module.

Then I went to scenario #2 and exported the personalities again called it Monster Module again and put in the merge ID Monster Module

Which I thought would then combine the personalities from both scenarios.

When I opened it up it just contained the monsters from scenario #2.

I figure I've done something wrong?

Any suggestions please.

Thanks in advance goonalan.

Moon Wizard
January 10th, 2014, 02:56
The modules have to have different names as well as different file names when you export.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 10th, 2014, 03:36
You would export MM1 and then export MM2 and then you woudl need to edit the XML and copy MM2's monsters to MM1....

Moon Wizard
January 10th, 2014, 06:20
I believe you can just export each module separately, but provide the merge ID to get them combined on the same tab. That's how the merge ID is supposed to work.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
January 10th, 2014, 09:21
(Who is this Moon Wizard? I wonder if moon_wizard knows he has an imposter.) :p

You would export MM1 and then export MM2 and then you woudl need to edit the XML and copy MM2's monsters to MM1....

I was under the impression if you did this both modules would index the entries starting with the same number (00001 or such), so you'd have to manually change all the tags of the MM2. A real pain.

Moon Wizard
January 10th, 2014, 10:27
True.

Two things though. That problem still exists with XML cut and paste, and creatures are usually sorted by name anyway so it doesn't matter what their ID is.

Regards,
JPG

goonalan
January 10th, 2014, 17:58
So just to get this right in my head-

I go to scenario #1 and create a module exporting the personalities only- call it MM1.

Then I go to scenario #2 and export the personalities again and call it MM2 but enter MM1 in the merge ID section?

And that will give will mean that MM1 now contains the monsters from scenario #1 and scenario #2?

Cheers goonalan

Moon Wizard
January 10th, 2014, 18:29
That's the general idea. You would actually specify the same value in both modules for the Merge ID tag. (i.e. "Monsters")

Regards,
JPG

goonalan
January 11th, 2014, 13:15
That's the general idea. You would actually specify the same value in both modules for the Merge ID tag. (i.e. "Monsters")

Regards,
JPG

Got it, and it works.

Thanks as always- superb work.

Cheers goonalan

Gladiator66
June 13th, 2015, 19:43
I followed these instructions for using the Merge ID and it is not working as described. The exported files show up separately under "Modules". If I open one of the modules, only the monsters associated with it show up under "Library" and "NPCs". If I open both, they both show up but under separate links in "Library" and on different tabs under "NPCs".

Does anyone know if the Merge ID was broken with one of the recent updates? Thanks.

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2015, 07:24
That code has not changed for several updates, so I would try posting a screen shot of your export window for both modules you are exporting to see if there is something we might notice.

Regards,
JPG

Gladiator66
June 14th, 2015, 14:07
Here are the two screen shots of the export windows.

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2015, 18:29
Are you exporting these modules from 2 different rulesets? It looks like the first export window is from the 4E ruleset, and the second export window is from the 3.5E ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Gladiator66
June 14th, 2015, 21:30
They were both exported from the 4E ruleset. I was using the wood background for one and the dungeon background for the other.

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2015, 22:01
Okay, that explains it.

I might need you to send copies of your export modules to [email protected], in order to see what is going on.

Make sure to include pointer to this thread, so I am reminded of context.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2015, 16:16
Okay, I was able to look at the files in detail.

Here's some info based on what I found:

The merge ID only applies to tabs in the main campaign list. Library lists are always listed per module.
(Not sure that was part of the question, but I figured I would mention.)

Merge ID values will only merge categories that have the same category name, tab icon and decal icon.
In your modules, the non-KH module has a tab named "KotS Monsters", and the KH module has tabs named "Fallcrest", "Kobold Hall Monsters", and "Kobold Hall Traps". Since each of these tabs has a unique name/tab/decal, they will not be merged. If you want tabs to be merged make sure they have same name/decal/icon before you export with same merge ID.

Regards,
JPG