PDA

View Full Version : Installing multiple versions of FG?

Insanity
January 9th, 2014, 11:59
I am getting a new PC shortly, and wanted to continue some work on a ruleset I was working on prior to the release of FGIII.

Recently I started playing in a game again in which the GM is using FG 2.8.1. I would like to develop my ruleset for FGIII.
Is it possible to install a copy of 2.8.1 and 3.01 on the same machine. Perhaps a HDD partition?

Trenloe
January 9th, 2014, 12:22
You can install into 2 different locations, but the main issue is that FG stores a lot of configuration data in the Windows registry, so you need a way of changing the registry when you want to switch from one version to the other. See this thread for details: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19345-Installing-both-2-x-and-3-x-on-the-same-machine

Of course, the main question would be why is your GM still running V2.8.1?? ;)

Insanity
January 9th, 2014, 16:40
Thanks for the link, I will take a look at it.

As for 2.8.1, we've recently picked the game back up from a hiatus, and that is what version with which he currently has all his campaign info.

damned
January 9th, 2014, 21:16
He is limiting access to his game. By design everyone should always be running the current version...

Insanity
January 9th, 2014, 21:48
I don't disagree with that, but it has had the same players for most of the game's duration and hasn't been much of an issue, unless you want to develop a FGIII ruleset.

Moon Wizard
January 9th, 2014, 21:48
I can understand the situation, as the group is used to the current v2.8.1 interface.

Having 2 versions requires changing the app and data directory to the directories matching the files you want to use. There is no simple way.

Regards,
JPG