PDA

View Full Version : Need help with effects....

Djmaxx
January 9th, 2014, 04:55
Hey guys I am having some trouble adding effects. I know there is a effects panel in FG how do i set it up so i don't have to manually add the effect to the character in the combat tracker.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2014, 09:07
Create the effect in the effect panel. Then click and drag it to an entry in the combat tracker or click the effect (humanoid outline) button to apply it to the currently active combat tracker entry:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Effects%20Panel.JPG

You could also drag/drop effects on tokens in a map (if the tokens are linked to the combat tracker).

PCs (and NPCs) can apply effects from actions in the spells section of their character sheet - these are applied to either "self" or "target" when the effect button is pressed, or can be drag/dropped as well.

Djmaxx
January 9th, 2014, 15:19
ok how do i create the effect in the effect panel? That way i wont have to create it every time.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2014, 15:27
ok how do i create the effect in the effect panel? That way i wont have to create it every time.
Right-click, create a new effect and type in the effect text. Details here of what the effect syntax is: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp - look in the left sidebar for the various "Effects" subheadings - particularly Examples, Label: Conditions, Label: Modifiers and Other Attributes

Also do a search for effects on this forum - there are many threads with effect examples. For example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library

Djmaxx
January 9th, 2014, 15:41
ok thanks again Trenloe.

Still having trouble with Flanking and Flanked. I would like to have them in the effect panel to help my players out a bit cause there still new to FG. What would i type to get the effects of Flanking and being Flanked to work?

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 16:55
Flanking would be better as a modifier instead of an effect.

Djmaxx
January 9th, 2014, 16:58
Flanking would be better as a modifier instead of an effect.

yea but in any instance i would still like it to be in the effects panel for just in case

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 17:01
Okay

Make an effect and in the label (name) put:
Flanking; ATK: 2

Change the button to the left of the label from ALL to ROLL. That should be it.

Djmaxx
January 9th, 2014, 17:08
Okay

Make an effect and in the label (name) put:
Flanking; ATK: 2

Change the button to the left of the label from ALL to ROLL. That should be it.

Thank a lot that works.

Trenloe
January 9th, 2014, 17:16
I would like to have them in the effect panel to help my players out a bit cause there still new to FG.
You do know there is a modifier box?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Modifer%20Window.JPG

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 17:19
Someone got uber-ninja'd. :p

Djmaxx
January 9th, 2014, 18:10
You do know there is a modifier box?

Yes but like i said they are still new and it slows the game down to much having to explain everything as it is so im just trying to help them to get used to the program with little issues as possible. Some of them are catching on quickly but others are still having issues so every little bit helps. I just want them to have fun playing and not get bored with FG ya know.

damned
January 9th, 2014, 21:19
modifiers arent new :)

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 23:32
I think he meant his players.

lachancery
January 10th, 2014, 02:33
Yes but like i said they are still new and it slows the game down to much having to explain everything as it is so im just trying to help them to get used to the program with little issues as possible. Some of them are catching on quickly but others are still having issues so every little bit helps. I just want them to have fun playing and not get bored with FG ya know.
As GM, I often drag modifiers myself onto the combat tracker entry (or token on the map) for the player when an effect affects them (before they make their roll). For new players, I also code "fake spells" on the action tab of their character sheet, so they can trigger common effects themselves (Ex: Power Attack). Are you familiar how to create those?

Djmaxx
January 10th, 2014, 05:48
As GM, I often drag modifiers myself onto the combat tracker entry (or token on the map) for the player when an effect affects them (before they make their roll). For new players, I also code "fake spells" on the action tab of their character sheet, so they can trigger common effects themselves (Ex: Power Attack). Are you familiar how to create those?

No not really im still learning the more in depth features of FG.

Callum
January 10th, 2014, 12:05
The "fake spell" approach to effects for players is very useful - have a look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19183-Applying-feats-%28point-blank-shot-rapid-shot%29-to-Weapons-in-Action-tab) for some examples.

Djmaxx
January 10th, 2014, 14:01
Thanks guys all are very helpful this stuff will help out a lot.