PDA

View Full Version : To all you lonely people that posted on Christmas and the New Year.

VenomousFiligree
January 4th, 2014, 23:36
Below is a heart felt and warming PM I got from someone. I find it strange that someone has to look at the world through their blinkered eyes. Whilst I am Western and I do celebrate Christmas and the Gregorian New Year, many don't. In fact my wife who is Asian only started celebrating them since we met and settled in the UK. I have spent 22 years in the Royal Navy on submarines, so I definitely do know what it is to be lonely and away from my family, especially on days like Christmas. I have spent 3 years living and working in the Middle East, again away from family, in a country that doesn't celebrate Christmas and follows a Lunar Calendar.

I am also fortunate enough to be physically active, although I have personally gamed online with players that are not and who take great comfort in the ability to game (and talk gaming) when they want and from the comfort of their home.

So I would suggest before you make such remarks, think about the people you might be talking to.

LOL, spending Christmas and new years eve on the Fantasy Grounds forum must have been pretty lonely.

Maybe you could have saved all those tears if you'd just read the initial post that said PM me. You effectively failed the "idiot check", then you continued to alienate yourself from yet another person in the community.

Reflect on this during your next lonely Christmas/NYE/birthday or game you just quite can't manage to find players willing to endure you. For your sake, I honestly hope you work on this.

Good luck :)

damned
January 5th, 2014, 00:34
ahhh... im quite happy to say i spent some time on here on Christmas Day and New Years Day!
Happy New Year to you all - and may all the unhappy trolls find something to be positive about in this new year :)

dr_venture
January 5th, 2014, 03:55
This is a classic example of the unfortunate mindset that the Internet often breeds: smart@ss know-it-alls who are smarter and cooler and just plain better than most others, and happy to mouth off about it on the Net... yet those same people would probably *never* act that way to your face. For some, there exists the double-standard that allows you to be a complete jerk to somebody on the net but requires a much more mature, adult response in person. The difference, of course, is that being a complete jerk to someone's face in person would likely entail real-world repercussions, like shame and humiliation, regret for one's actions when having to endure the other person's reaction. They might even get their lights punched out for mouthing off like that to somebody's face. But on the Net, what's stopping you from treating others like dirt... your conscience? A moral compass? Manners? Apparently, none of the above.

Mellock
January 5th, 2014, 09:04
Huh. I spent some time here myself during those days. Don't let it bother ya. 't is the intarwebz after all. Good to see you back on the boards, btw, you were quiet for a while!

jasonthelamb
January 5th, 2014, 14:11
The immaturity of some people...

I live a pretty sociable lifestyle and I checked in on here christmas / NYE / my birthday (all of which are within a month of each other).

Bidmaron
January 5th, 2014, 21:00
US submariner here! Dive! Dive!

VenomousFiligree
January 7th, 2014, 20:51
It's the first time I've come across someone like this on FG, so was unpleasantly surprised.

Huh. I spent some time here myself during those days. Don't let it bother ya. 't is the intarwebz after all. Good to see you back on the boards, btw, you were quiet for a while!

Yeah, got sucked away by a competitor (I was spending too much time trying to code games I wanted to play rather than playing :( ). However for playing supported systems you can't beat FG imo.

US submariner here! Dive! Dive!

Whilst I enjoyed my time, I can't say I miss it! :)

Andrepartthree
March 21st, 2014, 22:53
Will add my voice to the list of outraged comments here... dr venture as always has a way with words :) and said it far better than I ever could ... but to echo Mellock DON'T let this moron get to you and I have to commend you for not putting his username out here as a public shaming sort of thing for all to see - personally I'd love to see who this person is so I know who to avoid under any and all circumstances here on FG ... though I can see how you're trying not to lower yourself to his level too which is very commendable.. still, behavior like the sort displayed in that PM is just... nothing short of inexcusable.. and sadly far too common with the whole " tear someone else down to bolster your own lack of self confidence" thing that takes place so often here on the 'net...