PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behaviour and Possible Security Risk With UPnP

Qai
January 4th, 2014, 21:44
After getting things working usine Trenloe's suggestion in another thread to use FG in conjunction with UPnP instead of manually forwarding ports this is what I'm finding happens:

1. I set UPnP to enabled in my router's settings;

2. I enabled the SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Hosting services in Windows. By "enabled" I don't mean that they were just "started", but rather switched from "disabled" to "manual" and then "started";

3. The self-test in FG was successful;

4. Not wanting to have my UPnP active all the time I created .bat scripts to start/stop these services (in manual mode) when I run FG;

5. I discovered that FG doesn't actually need the UPnP service, just the SSDP one;

6. When the services were stopped (and I didn't run FG using the scripts to start the services), FG automatically triggers the SSDP service to start, but only when I specifically do the self-test and not just simply starting FG.

Why is FG triggering the SSDP service? This is a potential security risk as the service does not get stopped when closing FG.

Moon Wizard
January 4th, 2014, 23:48
No idea. FG uses the built-in IUPnPNAT COM interface provided by Microsoft to set up port forwarding. (Initialize, get port mapping, add port mapping, release)

Regards,
JPG