PDA

View Full Version : FG and Port Triggering

Qai
January 4th, 2014, 19:41
Is FG configured to work with port triggering? I can't seem to get it to work.

Port forwarding works absolutely no problems, but I would like to have the added security that port triggering offers so I don't want to leave 1802 open all the time, or having to constantly enable/disable the forwarding (which in itself is a partial solution as it still leaves the port completely open during gaming).

An aside question, is the protocol that FG uses TCP or UDP? I have a setting for "Both", and that's what I've been using. But I would like to specify the exact protocol, if possible.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm asking as a GM hosting the session. I'm guessing that the port isn't opening because I'm not the one initiating the connection in order to open the port in the first place. Not sure if there's even a way around this, unless another computer can be set up as an intermediate relay for the connections, which I'm not sure can be done.

Trenloe
January 4th, 2014, 20:36
If your router supports UPnP then FG will set the port forwarding automatically only when it is running, when FG is not running port 1802 will not be open. You'll need to enable UPnP on your router and remove any currently configured port forwarding for port 1802. It is for TCP, UDP is not used.

Qai
January 4th, 2014, 21:10
Thanks Trenloe. After a bit of fiddling around I got your suggestion to work, although just enabling UPnP on my router was not enough (UPnP on it was actually already enabled). The culprit was also enabling the UPnP Device Host service on Windows. However, there were problems starting this service as it has a dependency to another service (which it inconveniently doesn't tell you which one(s)!). Finally managed to track down the dependency to the SSDP Discovery service. All is working perfectly now! Thanks a lot :)

+1 rep.

EDIT: It says "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Trenloe again." :(