PDA

View Full Version : Cthulhu nights

mbabbs
January 4th, 2014, 18:14
I am a new FG GM (but experienced with Call of Cthulhu) looking for players to practice on before embarking upon a campaign.

Games will run once or perhaps two evenings a week. Gaming sessions will be GMT +1, 8 - 12 pm. You will need FG Lite and Skype. Skype will be used only for ooc and instruction giving - all role play will be typed in FG. I plan to start in a few weeks if I manage to get sufficient numbers of test subjects and enough time to learn things in FG :).

If you're interested then please reply to this thread stating the following;

1: Confirm that you have both FG Lite (at least) and Skype.
2: Your general availability during a week.
3: Your level of keyboard skills - I plan to have all role play typed through FG, so being able to type quickly (particularly after a beer) will be good.
4: Your location
5: Why Cthulhu spins your propeller (its not an interview or anything, I just like to know how into Cthulhu my players are).

PS - Don't put your skype id in this thread. I'll contact you for details.

VenomousFiligree
January 4th, 2014, 18:57
I'd be happy to play a few one shots, could commit to a regular slot at the moment though.

I have an Ultimate license
Alternate Mondays, weekly Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Reasonable typing speed, the faster I go the more typos I get!
UK
I enjoy horror in all my RPing

cerijoel
January 4th, 2014, 21:25
I'd love to play.

1: Yessir
2: After 6:00pm GMT 0 weekdays, weekends, but not Thursdays atm
3: Pretty good
4: UK
5: Cthulhu sinks my boat because: I love horror, investigation, the sense of mood and mystery.

d1wright
January 5th, 2014, 14:59
I'd be interested in playing and the time is open on weekdays.

1: FG Full
2: M-F Availability
3: Good keyboarding
4: Upstate New York
5: Familiar with the ethos but have never played CoC before. Enjoy RPG gaming with deeper characters and lots of role playing.

mbabbs
January 5th, 2014, 17:21
Good response so far :)

MurghBpurn and d1wright - do you both have skype?

d1wright - this is a GMT+1 game which would make it an afternoon session for you - is that ok? Notably as lots of Cthulhu games are based in your area, it would be very cool to have you onboard.

VenomousFiligree
January 5th, 2014, 19:15
Yes, I have Skype (and G+)

d1wright
January 5th, 2014, 20:46
I'm looking forward to the time zone discrepancy and do have a Skype account.

Can we assume that we'll be basically using 6th Edition CoC as I think that's what the FG ruleset is based on.

skybluerob
January 5th, 2014, 23:31
I'd be interested:

To answer the questions:

1. FG Full
2. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, maybe Fridays
3. High
4. UK
5. I'm a horror fan and the atmosphere/settings for Cthulhu are excellent. Never played Cthulhu but sat in on a live session once and loved it, just never been able to find a game to play in.

Thanks.

mbabbs
January 5th, 2014, 23:57
Yes it'll be 6th Edition. I havent decided on the adventure yet.

Ok great we have 4 which I think is a good number to begin with. I plan to start the week after next. I have permission from her indoors for one night per week :).

Like I said I havent GM'd before with FG so you'll need to have a little patience while I get up to speed. I'll get in touch with each of you. In the meantime, if you arent familiar with CoC then it would be worth reading up on the rules and I'll send you a background to the 1920's to get you into the spirit of things.

mbabbs
January 7th, 2014, 16:34
skybluerob - you need to empty your inbox for me to send you an email.

It looks like the session will be held on a Tuesday, 8 - 12 pm GMT +1. I need you each to confirm thats ok. I will open the server 30 mins beforehand so that you can connect and get ready. I'll email further details once you confirm.

skybluerob
January 7th, 2014, 16:52
Emptied. oops! :-)

Noelle
January 11th, 2014, 17:40
I live in the US and doing nothing right now and I would love to play with insanity and tentacle goodness. Count me in as a player and excited to play if you'll have me

mbabbs
January 11th, 2014, 20:08
Hi Noelle

I'm afraid this session is full, but going forwards I will certainly be looking for other players for campaigns and one shots. I'll count you in for the next one.

XtremeTko
January 15th, 2014, 05:30
1. FG Lite
2. Mon , Tues, Thurs, Friday, Sunday afternoons
3. Good Keyboard skills, more beer the better
4. EST USA
5. Im wanting a good adventure, horror isn't neccessary what gets my propeller going but long campaigns, adventure, and character development is. Ive listened to Skype of Cthulhu Podcast and it seems a lot of fun.

If you still need more players I would be up for it. All I got going is a LOTR game every two weeks and a Play by Post game thats on hold so im pretty available most days. Being in the US Will affect timing but I am sure we can figure something out.
Thanks

VenomousFiligree
February 5th, 2014, 19:45
With the 'taster scenario' drawing to a close, do you have any thoughts on what will follow? Will we be keeping the same PCs, could we change them if we wanted? What's your thoughts on running 7e? If you were thinking about it I could see if I could change the sheet for 7e...

Great sessions so far by the way :)

mbabbs
February 7th, 2014, 07:13
Glad you are enjoying it.

I have a couple of ideas, but havent made a choice yet. I'm still a little uncomfortable using FG (you may have noticed ;) ) so my current thinking is another one shot, but this time a more in depth adventure that tests combat a bit more and the teams researching skills. After that I'd like to go on to a campaign - either Masks or Shadows.

For the one shot my current choices are Death in Luxor which requires playing with pregens, or Trail of Tsathogghua which I have recently converted to a mod and would like to play test. This could be played with player generated chars, but we'd need to create new ones because the ones we have currently aren't suitable. Also ofcourse, the chars you have may not come out of the current scenario alive\sane :)

VenomousFiligree
February 7th, 2014, 07:26
I purchased DiL when it first came out, skimmed it, thought it would make a good adventure and now can't really remember it, don't recall having read ToT.

I think you're doing a good job with FG for a first time (FG) GM. Sometimes it might be worth splitting a long chat entry into smaller chunks, so we don't overrun what you want to say. We (the players) should also make a point of slowing down our end when we see that you're typing.

Also this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?13587-GM-Text) shows that most people are happy for a few typos, for a speedier GM response

mbabbs
February 7th, 2014, 07:57
Yeah I think the key with it is to be prepared. Its fairly straightforward to predict what needs to be said so if I find myself with nothing to do then I have started to write things in advance.

Having said that it would be nice to be able to edit a post after posting, in the same way as skype so that glaring typos can be corrected. Also it would be great if OOC could be in another window in the UI so that the RP chat is not cluttered. Granted we could use skype for that and I may test that out in the next session, particularly as I think it would speed things along.

Trenloe
February 7th, 2014, 09:25
Granted we could use skype for that and I may test that out in the next session, particularly as I think it would speed things along.
Skype works well enough for everyone being on the call at once and chatting away - but it also picks up most of the background clanks and bangs - and if someone has a loud keyboard you will hear them clattering away. I know that Skype has push-to-talk ("Toggle mute" under Advanced -> Hotkeys in Options) - you may want to make sure everyone has that enabled, sets themselves to mute initially and uses push-to-talk only when they want to talk: https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/How-do-I-enable-push-to-talk/td-p/938606 This will keep the background noise down and help with OOC conversations...

Or, if Skype is not working that well for you, there is the free to use Community TeamSpeak3 server: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server

cerijoel
February 7th, 2014, 17:53
I'll admit to knowing Masks and Shadows quite well already, happy to pretend ignorance though. I don't know those one-shots.
I don't mind one-shots or characters dying or using pre-mades at all. Only downside is attachment to an ongoing character breeds fear, and fear is a good thing.
There are lots of pure text client alternatives if you wanted to separate chat out, some might be better for text than skype.

mbabbs
March 5th, 2014, 15:21
Ok - 1, maybe 2 players are needed for 'Death in Luxor' beginning this Sunday evening (9th March) at 7.30pm GMT.

Please PM me for further details.

Whilst we will aim to play regularly (1 evening per week), the GM has life commitments that make a regular slot difficult so we will aim to schedule a session at the end of each evening. Some flexibility is needed because of this - sorry. We will be conducting all roleplay through FG rather than speaking so you will need okish typing speed skills and some familiarity with the FG User Interface (although I am no expert myself). Noob CoC players are welcome......... although you should be aware that CoC is heavily roleplay centric rather than a traditonal dungeon crawl and characters tend to die or go mad on a regular basis so if frequent combat, character development, levelling up etc is your bag then CoC perhaps isn't for you. You are ofcourse wecome to try though :).

Rogad
March 17th, 2014, 17:03
Are there any spare places in this group please ?

I have played a few games of CoC with FG but my GM had to close the group due to other commitments.

I have FG of course.
I did sign up to Skype a while back but have not used it before, but it can be arranged if its essential.
Keyboard skills are pretty good, with the odd typo.
I'm in the UK.
I used to play pencil & paper CoC a lot back in the 80s when I was in school and college. I like the dark mystery and exploration as well as working out the problems. I prefer text based with FG as it helps my imagination kick in more, like reading a book. Supernatural things have always interested me and I like trying to stay sane ;)

If there is a spot, I think I would prefer to join a campaign at the beginning, but if it's possible to catch up I can try.

Cheers :)

mbabbs
March 18th, 2014, 09:08
There is yes, but the game is on hold until everyone in the group is available as real life is interrupting things at the moment. I think this will be a few weeks. I'll PM you nearer the time. We haven't started a game yet so you'll be in at the beginning.

Rogad
March 18th, 2014, 17:37
That's great thanks a lot, I would be happy to join then :)

Taelock
June 14th, 2014, 23:47
Might be to latte but if there is an opening I would really like o join. Im in GMt+1 so the time should be ok with me:)

Rogad
July 9th, 2014, 22:59
Any joy with this chaps ?

mbabbs
July 10th, 2014, 08:55
Any joy with this chaps ?

Not at the moment. Sadly I am working all hours at the moment and can't predict when I'll be available in an evening. I am hoping things will calm down in August\September.

I'll post if things change, sorry.

mbabbs
July 17th, 2014, 09:25
Well it appears that my current work project is coming to an end so that will mean I will be free to GM in mid August (week beginning Aug 18th) - End of September.

My plan is to GM 'Death in Luxor' with a group of 4, possibly 5 players and then move on to 'Masks of Nyarlathotep' again with 4 or 5. I would like to play at least 2 evenings a week and will consider more. Perhaps even afternoons.

I am looking for players who like to roleplay and ideally are familiar with Cthulhu as Cthulhu is roleplay centric in comparison to other rpg's. However Death in Luxor will be a learning experience for us all so players new to the game and fantasy grounds will be welcome. Please be aware though that Cthulhu is generally not a dungeon crawl rpg and action can be rare and extremely deadly to players.

Please PM me with your idea of availability if you are interested. I will advertise nearer the time.

PS - Time zone is GMT+1

SHDShadow
July 23rd, 2014, 16:28
I'm down to join you on this. I do have FG lite as well as Skype. I'm on the east coast and I work till about 730-8 on the weekdays so after that I can play. I've never been able to find a campaign going for CoC and I figured I would try this site out and see how the game goes. I really enjoy horror movies and I figured this would be my next logical step.

UndyingEarth
August 16th, 2014, 22:16
Hello! I know it's cutting it a bit fine, but is there room for one more? I'm based in the Netherlands (GMT+2) but I'm a native English speaker with good typing skills. This would actually be my first CoC game, but I've listened to a lot of CoC Actual Plays (Skype of Cthulhu, RPPR, Cthulhu and Friends, etc.) and I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, so I hope I'd be a decent player! :-D

mbabbs
August 17th, 2014, 21:45
Hi all

Ok I am going to kick off Death in Luxor this week (Week beginning Aug 18th). I am looking for 4 - 5 players who can make 2 play sessions (evenings) this week. If you cant make it then there is always the campaign I am planning for September.

I am thinking Wednesday evening and Sunday evening (GMT+1 time zone). The adventure will probably take 4 sessions. Characters will be generated.

If I don't PM you it means I missed you accidentally so PM me. However preference will be given to past players although I don't think all will be able to make it.

If you want to play then please reply to my PM with availability for the forthcoming two weeks, and register on the game calendar below;

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1144

Edit: @MurghBpurn - I tried to PM you but your account is not accepting messages.

Edit2: First session scheduled for Sunday.

damned
September 3rd, 2014, 14:15
Achtung Cthulhu
The Three Kings – by Sarah Newton

It’s summer, 1939, and a shadow is falling over Europe. Czechoslovakia has been invaded by the Third Reich, and the country dismembered. In its place, the Nazis have declared a “Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia”, centred on the former capital of Prague. And yet, amidst the restive populace in the surrounding countryside, resistance is growing - led by a triumvirate of patriots known only as the “Three Kings”.

Your job is to parachute into the area and make contact with the “Three Kings” as well as with a Czech priest who has information about atrocities committed by the Third Reich - information which will provide priceless propaganda if war does break out.

No experience with Fantasy Grounds, Savage Worlds or Achtung! Cthulhu necessary.

https://www.fg-con.com/events/sxg-achtung-cthulhu-the-three-kings/

GM: Ian M Ward

biojerk
September 25th, 2014, 02:30
I'd be interested in attending as long as you are okay with me being a new player, also trying to learn the system!

damned
December 10th, 2014, 09:00
We have a new GM over at Steam who wants to run some Cthulhu sessions on Mon/Tue/Wed evenings GMT time.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/624076851191882639/

If you have some interest and availability please check the thread on Steam.