PDA

View Full Version : Loving FG

Glympy
January 2nd, 2014, 04:34
Really looking forward to Playing some fantasy grounds this weekend via a LAN with 8 of my friends. Should be a blast!!

damned
January 2nd, 2014, 10:26
Whether I am wrong or right.... I am still the Dungeon Master!

all hail the dungeon master!

Glympy
January 2nd, 2014, 14:28
The only real concern I have are the 8 computers staying connected and having good connection speeds. We will be on a private LAN (all in the same room) and I am going to disconnect everyone from the internet. With this being MANY of the guys first time using FG everything must run smooth with no glitches other wise I run the risk of people wanting to move away from using FG. This I feel would be a HUGE mistake. Ive read on the FG forums on the number of people is only limited by the connection speed. Will this many players still run smooth? It is all going to be all connected directly together either by a 32 port switch or a Hub. Your thoughts please!! :confused:

Trenloe
January 2nd, 2014, 14:39
Connection speed should be fine. Is the GM PC a good spec PC? As the GM is the server and a lot of processing of messages go through the server with 8 connections you'll probably need a good(ish) PC.

But, really, you should be fine...

Moon Wizard
January 2nd, 2014, 20:54
If you get a chance, you should set up at least 2 machines on a disconnected network similar to what you are planning. That way, you can discover any specifics to ask questions about before game day.

Also, on a disconnected network (i.e. no Internet access), every user will need at least a Lite license.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 2nd, 2014, 22:16
yeah - you will need internet connection for all players every time they have to connect.
use a switch rather than a wifi for as many computers as possible - wifi is contention based and you are all accessing same data at same time so performance will degrade - possibly significantly.
if you are running a 64bit OS and have at least 4gb RAM i dont think you should have an issue.