PDA

View Full Version : Advance Frame and Overlay

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 1st, 2014, 12:10
I forgot.
How should I rename my tokens so they take different positions?
example: In the first he is standing in the second he's fallen as dead.
How should I do to make overlay, to say make a circle of runes representing the character is concentrating for a spell?
Also would like to know what the best resolution especially for overlays.

Moon Wizard
January 1st, 2014, 20:36
Is this question specific to the GURPS system or FG ruleset for GURPS? Just asking, since I have not played GURPS.

If not, the answer is that only one token can be assigned to a combat tracker entry at a time. You can replace the token in the combat tracker, and many of the rulesets will automatically replace the token on the map too.

Token overlays are specific to the FG rulesets, and need to be added via ruleset developer or extension developer.

To keep things simple, you can also rotate a token to indicate prone, and use the provided letter tokens as generic status counters on a map. I've done both in my games.

Regards,
JPG

saithan
January 1st, 2014, 20:47
yes,gurps allows you to make frames like multple tokens (toke with sword, with bow, prone, kneeling etc) and when named correct they can be cycled through by the gm. also has slots for attaching condition icons and overlay png files.
tokens use:
name[#o#].png each token in the cycle must have the same name and be in the same dir. the first # in the frame in the cycle and the second # in the number of frames.
slots are small icons they only need be named slot_name.png and overlays need only be named overlay_name.png, slots and overlays can be dragged and dropped onto a token to attach to it, the gm then has the token optins on the radial to remove a specific slot or remove the overlay or cycle through the frames.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 1st, 2014, 21:29
Thanks for the help Saithan

seycyrus
March 13th, 2014, 00:19
Saithan, I just got around to trying this stuff out recently. It looks to be very promising. Regarding overlays, what determines how big the overlay appears over the token? I've tried to put a larger (800 x 800 pixel) cloud of gas around a token, and it appears smaller than an overlay of a banner (something like 340 pix x 170 pix) that I experimented with.

How do you use the slots?

EDIT: Your explanation of how to properly make slots work that you outlined above, I understand. I wonder about how you, Saithan the GM, use slots in your fg campaign.

saithan
March 13th, 2014, 01:24
I use slots to show visible conditions. a blood drop for bleeding1 adding another for greater bleeding 2. a lightening bolt for shock etc.
overlays I mainly use for burning they auto shrink to the token they are used on. the way you are trying to use them was better suited with layers which I had to remove with the intro of 2.9 as they were broken others have been working on layers I may need to revisit to see how that is coming.

seycyrus
March 13th, 2014, 03:00
Is there a way to keep the slot-token distance a constant? FOr me, when I change zoom levels on the map, the slot-token distance increases ordecreases substantially. What determines this distance?

Gigermann
March 13th, 2014, 05:47
I had a lot of trouble getting the slot tokens to behave like I wanted, so instead, I "fake" them—I have a large-ish transparent overlay that has the "indicator" graphic in the corner where it would appear as a "slot"; it scales with the tokens and moves with them, so it works for me.

Didn't think of the "blood drop"—I'll have to use that :P

saithan
March 13th, 2014, 15:50
a lot of those things got wonky since 2.9 not had time to even mess about in 3 yet but gigermans idea sounds perfect. ...atleast till it is rewriten.