PDA

View Full Version : An AP, an AP, my kingdom for an AP!

KingofKlubs
December 30th, 2013, 23:58
For the past year or so I've been engrossed in the Way of the Wicked AP. My fellow adventurers and I managed to get through to the very end of book 2 before succumbing to the dreaded TPK. However, the real tragedy is that the GM has this very night decided that this is a fitting place to end the campaign. If there is a sympathetic GM out there in the digital taverns who either is or will soon be starting an AP, I would love to find a space at a regular table, all the more if someone's thinking about trying Way of the Wicked out. I can usually fit my availability to the GM's schedule and am an incredibly enthusiastic and outgoing player.

Is it safe for me to continue to stoke the embers of hope at finding a weekly table?

Nickademus
December 31st, 2013, 00:08
I have considered running this in the far future. Nowhere near soon, but I'm still up in the air about it as an AP (and the thought of trying to splice it into Golarion). It would be the only non-Paizo product that I would be running.

What are your thoughts on it as a player? Obviously you liked it or you wouldn't be looking to play again. But as an 'evil campaign' it does go against some various molds. I've read the introduction so you don't need to explain how it justifies itself as a balanced AP despite the inherent problems of an all-evil party. I'm more interested in opinions.

KingofKlubs
December 31st, 2013, 00:39
I have considered running this in the far future. Nowhere near soon, but I'm still up in the air about it as an AP (and the thought of trying to splice it into Golarion). It would be the only non-Paizo product that I would be running.

What are your thoughts on it as a player? Obviously you liked it or you wouldn't be looking to play again. But as an 'evil campaign' it does go against some various molds. I've read the introduction so you don't need to explain how it justifies itself as a balanced AP despite the inherent problems of an all-evil party. I'm more interested in opinions.

Ultimately, it plays much like any campaign save for character motivation. Everything is reversed, that's pretty much it. I found that the roleplay tended to be a lot richer, as players really need to think about what makes their characters different from the world around them. Having a party of Darth Vaders, Hannibal Lectors, Jokers and Dr Frankensteins makes for some seriously interesting conversations and imaginative approches. Characters are special and unique right off the bat.
The major plot missions are really interesting as well, encouraging lateral thinking and guts of iron. What I really like about them is that the players are given a big, seemingly impossible mission and then have a great deal of freedom to accomplish it. For example, in the first book, the players are roughly level 3 and are told to take out a major fortress without knowing the layout, defences or anyone on the inside. The party needs to think, chase up leads and clues and exploit the weaknesses they think are important. The GM also seems to have quite a lot of room for creative freedom in the most interesting parts (which can be incredibly liberating for everyone involved) and the whole campaign is designed to give players fascinating issues and problems to engage with while the GM can use as much or as little of the background as they want. The campaign is a buffet of themes and awesome opportunities for players and GM's have a wealth of opportunities to dish out the epic when it comes to pacing and encounters.

That answer your questions? :)