PDA

View Full Version : *PFS #3-07: Echoes of the Overwatched Tuesday Jan 7th 2014 7PM EST

Trueshots
December 30th, 2013, 09:30
Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-07: Echoes of the Overwatched

DATE: Tuesday Jan 7th 2014 7PM EST

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for Levels 1–5.

When a Pathfinder agent working in the famed Blakros Museum in Absalom falls victim to a terrible, ancient evil, if falls to the PCs to hunt down the released terror before it can retrieve a relic of the mad astronomer Ralzeros the Overwatched.

Written by James F. Mackenzie.

Calendar link: Sign up for game here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1139)
Discussion Thread: Post your xml & chronicle sheets on this thread.

FG Server alias: Scrawny Dungeon Good Dice
Full Licence holder (you must have a Lite licences to play)

Voice Client: TeamSpeak3
Voice server address: fgts.servegame.com:9152
Password: Dungeoneers

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 15:41
One I can actually play. Nice.

jshauber
December 30th, 2013, 16:25
You'll have everything from the game we do on Monday for my character.

Sgned up on Calender to reserve spot.

Trueshots
January 5th, 2014, 03:56
Appears this isn't gonna happen again, I'm bout to give up on GMing...it's a pain in the butt getting enough players to play!

ATyger
January 6th, 2014, 01:36
I'm game to play. I'll have the XML and chronicle up by mid-monday. I hope you still want to run it.

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 02:21
I'm game to play. I'll have the XML and chronicle up by mid-monday. I hope you still want to run it.

Yup think Avro is gonna join too, sounds good!

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 04:00
Nick can you help me figure out your build, I may have it wrong but when i loaded it I came up with these issues:

1 too many feats
2 too many languages
and what's a true strike focus

If you have a .por file(herolabs) do you mind sending it to me?

avro5731
January 6th, 2014, 04:08
are we playing up or down - looks like 2-3 with no healer... thoughts?

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 04:39
Average party level is 3.5 that rounds up to 4 i think you'll have to play 4-5

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 05:26
Nick can you help me figure out your build, I may have it wrong but when i loaded it I came up with these issues:

1 too many feats
2 too many languages
and what's a true strike focus

If you have a .por file(herolabs) do you mind sending it to me?

I don't use Herolabs.

Off the top of my head, I'd say the extra feat was a bonus feat from my bard level and the two extra languages are Taldane (common) and Keleshite (free ethnic human language).

Some more details on what you think is too many would help.

Oh, and true strike focus is the material focus for the true strike spell. It's the only component from my spell component pouch that I need so I keep the pouch in my haversack to reduce the weight (minus the focus I need for true strike, of course).

ATyger
January 6th, 2014, 17:34
Here you go. Got everything up to date.

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 19:23
Some more details on what you think is too many would help.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I still am having trouble with this,
At level 5 your build should have 4 feats (not granted by classes) The Bard line you picked (Dawnflower Dervish) has no extra bonus feats at level 1. Currently you have selected Alertness, Blind-Fight, Dodge, Imp Init, Imp Unarmed Strike. You got combat expertise, crane style, dervish dance, spell focus, and some proficiencies with you class level ups. It's still coming out for me that you should only get 4 not 5 from the first list I posted.

As starting Languages you got (5) Common, Draconic, Infernal, Kelish, Osiriani. Then you picked (3) Tien, Varisian, and Vudrani. That's 8 total which appears to be 2 over your limit.

If you notice on the pics I provide, If its a feat you get for class it comes over in green, which still puts you as picking 1 too many feats from what I figured out.

I will say this is a crazy build, no clue how you thought all this up LOL

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 20:32
I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I still am having trouble with this,
At level 5 your build should have 4 feats (not granted by classes) The Bard line you picked (Dawnflower Dervish) has no extra bonus feats at level 1. Currently you have selected Alertness, Blind-Fight, Dodge, Imp Init, Imp Unarmed Strike. You got combat expertise, crane style, dervish dance, spell focus, and some proficiencies with you class level ups. It's still coming out for me that you should only get 4 not 5 from the first list I posted.

As starting Languages you got (5) Common, Draconic, Infernal, Kelish, Osiriani. Then you picked (3) Tien, Varisian, and Vudrani. That's 8 total which appears to be 2 over your limit.

If you notice on the pics I provide, If its a feat you get for class it comes over in green, which still puts you as picking 1 too many feats from what I figured out.

I will say this is a crazy build, no clue how you thought all this up LOL

Okay, let's break this down.
Feats:
Bard 1: Dervish Dance
Human: Dodge
1st: Improved Initiative
3rd: Combat Expertise
Wizard: Spell Focus
Familiar: Alertness
Rogue 2: combat trick (Improved Unarmed Strike)
Fighter 1: Crane Style
5th: Blind-Fight

That's all of them.

Languages:
Racial: Taldane (common), Kelesh (Keleshite)
Int: Osirian, Tien, Varisian
Linguistics: Vudrani

That's all of my languages. I don't know why your program is showing Draconic and Infernal in the list (unless they add these due to they being options for class - which doesn't mean I automatically get them). Not sure why you are using a different program to view my character anyway. You really should be using FG since that's where the .xml is from. This is a good example of why.

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 21:01
Not sure why you are using a different program to view my character anyway. You really should be using FG since that's where the .xml is from. This is a good example of why.

Because FG has no way to tell me if somethings wrong. Herolabs does. I have very little knowledge base to be able to make sure everyones character is a legit PFS character, the only way I can do it is plug it in Herolab and let it throw its red flags, then ask question. Ive never had a problem using this method until your massively multiclassed build LOL.

You never played in one of my games.....I'm not really a GM.....I'm a guy who wants to help people play the game, I'm a secret dice roller. Every player at the table has more knowledge than me LOL. All I do is activate mobs and roll dice :)

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 21:05
I broke HeroLabs! YES!!

My builds don't fit within the box so programs with automation don't generally work. If FG forced the automation I'd have problems with it as well. But I assure you all my PFS characters are legal and I check the Additional Resources before I add anything to them (yes, I have the books/watermarked pdfs as well :p ).

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 21:09
Well now all i have to do if finish making the game LOL, my game im suppose to run tonight only has 2 players so looks like thats not going to happen, I can finish this one up.

ATyger
January 6th, 2014, 21:17
Hero Labs is showing the feat flag because you don't actually HAVE the feat. It's a class ability (having the benefit of Alertness while in possession of your familiar), but it doesn't mean you actually have the 'real' feat. (Meaning if there was another feat or feature that required you to have the feat, you wouldn't actually qualify for it.)

I can't attest to the language issue though, but if the XML doesn't show Draconic or Infernal, then I see no issues.

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 21:39
Putting it on my character sheet doesn't mean I actually HAVE the feat either. I put it there to remind me of where the bonus comes from. I don't build my characters sheets to accommodate programs like HeroLabs. (Yes, I have a dislike of HL if you hadn't noticed. I've seen too much of this in live games to ever use that program.)

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 22:49
Putting it on my character sheet doesn't mean I actually HAVE the feat either. I put it there to remind me of where the bonus comes from. I don't build my characters sheets to accommodate programs like HeroLabs. (Yes, I have a dislike of HL if you hadn't noticed. I've seen too much of this in live games to ever use that program.)

This isn't a Herolab issue, HL would work perfectly fine for this. When your xml is loaded into FG, you have the actual Alertness feat under the Feats section. You dont have the Alertness feat only a buff that your familiar gives when hes close to you that resembles alertness. Hope you can see how this is confusing for a GM that is scanning over the characters before a game. If the pet dies or is away from you, you no longer have that buff, yet in FG you'll always have it because its under your feats.

Hope you don't think I'm upset, I'm not pretending to know anything near what you do. I'm simply saying all GM's wont have the knowledge base you do so when they look at characters like this it could become confusing.

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 23:20
I don't think you're upset. But the way I see it is, I make my character sheet for my use in the game. No one else is going to be using it so I make it how I am comfortable with. There is no automation for anything put in the Feat or Abilities sections so I put things there that remind me what all this monstrous build has.

If a GM has a question about the things that I put there, they can ask (as you did). My problem with HL in this situation is putting extra languages on my character sheet that I never typed in. The language section IS automated to an extent due to the language extension.

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 23:32
Hero Labs is showing the feat flag because you don't actually HAVE the feat. It's a class ability (having the benefit of Alertness while in possession of your familiar), but it doesn't mean you actually have the 'real' feat. (Meaning if there was another feat or feature that required you to have the feat, you wouldn't actually qualify for it.)

Oh, just an FYI, the text for the arcane bond familiar ability says "While a familiar is within arm’s reach, the master gains the Alertness feat." That wording actually does count as having the feat for prerequisites and such. If I were to take something that required Alertness, the ruling is that I would lose access to it if I lost the Alertness feat (familiar dies or goes beyond arm's reach), just like losing Power Attack if your Strength is damaged below 13.

Malkavian_Andi
January 6th, 2014, 23:33
Just one quick addition:

Alertness (Ex): While a familiar is within arm's reach, the master gains the Alertness feat.

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he gains the prerequisite.

A character can't use a feat if he loses a prerequisite, but he does not lose the feat itself. If, at a later time, he regains the lost prerequisite, he immediately regains full use of the feat that prerequisite enables.First, the character actually gains the feat, not just a bonus that works like Alertness. Second, he might even be able to take feats that have Alertness as a prerequisite but couldn't use them as long as the familiar isn't within arm's reach.
I'm not sure if this is true in PFS, but since there aren't any good feats that have Alertness as a prerequisite, I haven't bothered checking that yet.

In FG, it can always be a good idea to list the feat not as "Alertness", but as "Alertness (from familiar)", so the GM knows where the feat comes from. Filling out a character sheet includes a lot of communication between the player and the GM ;)

Edit: I took too long to type. Nickademus ninja'd the same stuff I posted in before me.

Nickademus
January 6th, 2014, 23:39
This can be important because you can get Alertness, Blind-Fight and Improved Unarmed Strike from putting certain ioun stones in a wayfinder. Quite a few feats that require those and you can use your ioun wayfinder for them.

Malkavian_Andi
January 6th, 2014, 23:43
hmm... Why haven't I seen the possibility of gaining the Improved Unarmed Strike prerequisite through ioun wayfinder myself... Maybe it was too obvious :P
There really are a lot of good feats you need Improved Unarmed Strike for.

Trueshots
January 6th, 2014, 23:45
i dont even have a Wayfinder, guess thats something i need to pick up......

Malkavian_Andi
January 7th, 2014, 00:19
It's only 250 gp in PFS and it's always available. Many of my characters have one.

Also, for the resonant powers you'll need "Seekers of Secrets". Apart from the additional Ioun Stones, resonant powers are one of the best reasons to buy that book. (oh, and it also contains lots of awesome background information about Pathfinder Society politics. And with that I don't mean the RPG campaign. I mean the organisation the characters belong to.)

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 00:26
yea I have that one but have only browsed through it

Malkavian_Andi
January 7th, 2014, 00:32
The resonant powers are on page 52 ;)
New ioun stones are on pages 44-45.
On page 56, there's one of the really useful low-cost items: the Pathfinder Pouch.

isdestroyer
January 7th, 2014, 06:11
I have never used Fantasy Grounds, besides registering on the site, what else do I need to do? I also noticed that we're using Teamspeak, the last 2 times I have tried to use it, I could not get onto the server. Never could figure out why.

isdestroyer
January 7th, 2014, 06:13
And how do I upload my Character Sheet?

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 06:49
I have never used Fantasy Grounds, besides registering on the site, what else do I need to do? Well you must have a lite licence in order to play in my game, I don't have an ultimate licence unfortunately. You need to make a PFS legal character and then upload the .xml file to this thread (If you need help I can point you to a few tutorials). Also I need your last chronicle uploaded to this thread also.

And how do I upload my Character Sheet?
Do you mean Chronicle? If so. click the advanced tab here where you reply and then click on manage attachment. You'll be able to browse your cpu to upload any files you need to.

If you need help with any of this just let me know.

isdestroyer
January 7th, 2014, 15:07
Well, it looks like I'll have to pull out of this one. I know it's only $24, but I don't have a job at the moment and I can't justify it. Thanks anyway guys.

KBoom
January 7th, 2014, 17:36
I need to put together her .xml, but I'll bring my brand new snow witch if it's not too late.

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 20:50
Guys I need to push this game back 2 hours, til 9PM EST. Is this a problem for anyone? I may be able to do it a little earlier but if not I'm going to have to reschedule. Just let me know! Thanks

Also Kboom your good to go!

ATyger
January 7th, 2014, 21:01
That works for me, since my kiddo's bed time is 7 MST.

jshauber
January 7th, 2014, 21:16
Even better for me!!!

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 21:16
That works for me, since my kiddo's bed time is 7 MST.

i may be able to get home earlier but cant promise, will keep you updated in next hour or 2

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 22:26
Ok the APL is 2.75 thanks to the Big Noobs Kboom and Jshauber! So you guys will be strolling along on easy mode tier (1-2). It looks like I may make it home by 7 as originally planned and could start somewhere very soon after that, but if people need to push it back further thats still no problem for me. Just post here of you preferences. Thanks!

Just a side note, my goal is to kill Hakeem since he obviously spent so much time thinking up that toon that the only true reward for us all would be for him to have to reroll.......:)

Nickademus
January 7th, 2014, 22:40
My preference is staring at 7 since I work in the early morning.

And if you kill Hakeem, I have other pfs characters I can retrain to be just like him right now. Would just need to change the character name. :p

ATyger
January 7th, 2014, 22:47
7 EST works equally as well for me. I'm not time sensitive, I just want to play.

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 23:15
I'll bring the server up now for you guys but I'm going to be about 730 ish it looks like

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 23:29
Anyone know why my maps won't mask in game. This is first time running a game in 3.0 and I cant mask the maps.....

ATyger
January 7th, 2014, 23:45
No idea, sorry. I know nothing about FG from the GM's side.

Trueshots
January 7th, 2014, 23:51
I was fine til 3.0 lol. This was all fine last night (I thought) now i cant mask, getting multiple errors, and the grid wont move. No telling what else I'll run into.....

Nickademus
January 7th, 2014, 23:58
Problem with a non-3.x extension. Nothing to see, move along.

KBoom
January 8th, 2014, 05:19
Day Job Roll - 24
Purchases - Wand of Cure Light Wounds - 2 prestige

Nickademus
January 8th, 2014, 05:48
Hakeem's transactions

Sold:
+1 leather armor (+580)

Bought:
wand of mage armor (2 PP)
ring of protection +1 (1,800 gp with Master of Trade Qadiran fame reward)

ATyger
January 8th, 2014, 13:14
Day Job: 7 = 5 gp

Sold: None

Bought: Alchemical Cartridges, Paper (20) 120 gp

Thanks for the game!

Trueshots
January 8th, 2014, 22:44
Got everyones Chronicles except for Ningirsu, Ningirsu please email me your last chronicle . I didn't do you purchases yall can do that mess!

Trueshots
January 8th, 2014, 22:57
Well bad news....I don't think our game was legal last night LOL. I've was talking about to a buddy about how much gold Hakeem should receive since he was level 5 in a t1-2 game. He told me that a level 5 shouldn't be playing in a t1-2 game, only levels 1-3. This kind of makes sense, seeing that in order to hit Hakeem it took a natural 20 and he wasn't even buffed LOL. And to crit him took 2 natural 20's in a row which is basically impossible.

I gave all the level 3+ characters out-of-subtier gold and all levels 1-2 normal t1-2 gold. I think I did that right but I'd really like to know if we ran the table correct last night. My buddy was also saying that you have to add mobs or something if a level 5 is in the game, but I've never seen that in the PFS guides. anyway if yall know something I don't let me know. Thanks

Nickademus
January 8th, 2014, 22:57
Thank you, but I'll need a copy that shows that I spent 2 prestige and have a current amount of 4 instead of 6. I see no way of editing the numbers you put in. (I see no way of adding my purchases either, but whatever.)

Nickademus
January 8th, 2014, 23:03
.... but I've never seen that in the PFS guides.

This should be your first indicator.

Tiers are a level restriction for play. If a PC’s level does not fall within the level range of a scenario’s tier, that character can not legally play in that scenario. For example, a 5th-level PC is legal for play in scenarios of Tiers 1–5, 3–7, and 5–9; a 1st-level PC can only legally play in a Tier 1 or Tier 1–5 scenario. Within each tier, PCs should play in the subtier in which they fall whenever possible, but they may be allowed to play up or down, based on the average party level at the table, as outlined below.

I don't think your friend has read the guidebook recently.

Trueshots
January 8th, 2014, 23:09
I see no way of editing the numbers you put in. (I see no way of adding my purchases either, but whatever.)
A lot of times when I run games for my kids or other children, I have to do their entire Chronicle for them ...... :)
You're just gonna cheat anyway I was just helping you :)

KBoom
January 8th, 2014, 23:12
Considering the top right paragraph on p. 31 says that "a 5th-level PC is legal for play in scenarios of Tiers 1-5, 3-7, and 5-9;", and that "[w]ithin each tier, PCs should play in the subtier in which they fall whenever possible, but they may be allowed to play up or down, based on the average party level at the table", unless your friend has some inside knowledge that nobody else has, the table was legal last night. I've never heard anything like what they're claiming, and have gm'd various scenarios with the same party composition.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2014, 23:17
My buddy was also saying that you have to add mobs or something if a level 5 is in the game, but I've never seen that in the PFS guides.

What he is probably talking about is the encounter scaling for Season 5 scenarios, though it works different than what he indicated. Here is an excerpt from a Season 5 scenario, which appears as a sidebar next to the encounter information in the scenario itself (spoilers omitted):

Scaling Encounter A1
Make the following changes to
accommodate parties of only four PCs.
Subtier 1-2: Remove one ******.
Subtier 4-5: Remove two ******.

As you can see, it's based on party size and only removes enemies. It does not add any.

Nickademus
January 8th, 2014, 23:19
A lot of times when I run games for my kids or other children, I have to do their entire Chronicle for them ...... :)
You're just gonna cheat anyway I was just helping you :)

You fail your Subtlety check, sir.

Thank you for the chronicle.

Trueshots
January 8th, 2014, 23:31
You fail your Subtlety check, sir.

I actually rolled a natural 20 and critted on my Intimidate check :)

Malkavian_Andi
January 9th, 2014, 01:02
You're definitely fine. In a Tier 1-5 game, all characters that can legally play the scenario may play in any subtier (although it usually results in much less gold for a level 5 character than he could get if playing in a level-appropriate subtier).

The only case where you have to be careful are Tier 1-7 scenarios, because those have 3 subtiers and characters are not allowed to play in a subtier that's more than 1 subtier from their level-appropriate subtier.

Also, you never add any enemies to the scenario unless it tells you to. If the level 5 character is much more powerful than the enemies, the scenario will be quite easy, but there's nothing the GM can do other than ask the player to play a lower level character. He doesn't have to do that, though, if everybody is having fun, which should be the main target of the game.

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 02:16
The only case where you have to be careful are Tier 1-7 scenarios, because those have 3 subtiers and characters are not allowed to play in a subtier that's more than 1 subtier from their level-appropriate subtier.

Do you have a source for this? I looked through the Guidebook to answer Trueshots and didn't see any mention of this. Also, the Guidebook doesn't list tier 1-7 as a tier from Season 3 on so I imagine there is some legacy text dealing with older scenarios and the sub-tiers. But it is not in the current guide.

KBoom
January 9th, 2014, 02:59
Last two sentences of the same paragraph you quoted:

"Some scenarios or special events offer more than two subtiers. In these cases, no PC can play at a subtier more than 1 step away from her character level."

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 03:25
*facepalm*

I must have stopped reading to copy/paste. Not that it matters. A player would have to be insane to play up or down two. The danger would be too high or the gold would be way too low.

Trueshots
January 9th, 2014, 04:59
Last two sentences of the same paragraph you quoted:

*facepalm*

Wow, someone lost a lot of Cool Points here......

BTW, Ningirsu here's your Chronicle grats on level 3!

Malkavian_Andi
January 9th, 2014, 16:45
And just as a little fun fact:
Tier 1-7 scenarios only existed from season 0-2. They were at first designed as tier 3-7, but then paizo realized there weren't enough low-level scenarios for the growing campaign, so they added a subtier 1-2 to the 3-7 scenarios, making them 1-7.
In season 3, paizo introduced Tier 1 scenarios (First Steps) that could be replayed for credit with different characters so players with many characters wouldn't have to "block" scenarios for their character's first level. That, and the fact they had a lot of level 1-2 material then, ended the release of tier 1-7 scenarios, and they released tier 3-7 scenarios, as originally planned.

(I read that on the paizo forum once. Don't remember where exactly. But it was interesting enough to remember those facts.)

Nickademus
January 9th, 2014, 17:06
Good stuff.

In season 3, paizo introduced Tier 1 scenarios (First Steps) that could be replayed for credit with different characters so players with many characters wouldn't have to "block" scenarios for their character's first level.
But this only made it so that avid players now have a lot of level 2 characters they can't play. They need a repeatable scenario for each level/tier or they need to decide whatever abstract idea makes replay bad for Society is valid and remove the ability to replay tier 1-2 modules and scenarios. Either a fix to the problem or a little consistency in the error would be nice.

jshauber
January 9th, 2014, 20:22
Wow, someone lost a lot of Cool Points here......

BTW, Ningirsu here's your Chronicle grats on level 3!

Thanks, I think I found a small mistake on the Chronicle...My starting PP was 8 and I gained 2 Prestige so I think my final PP should be 10 but is still listed as 8.

Trueshots
January 10th, 2014, 11:14
But this only made it so that avid players now have a lot of level 2 characters they can't play. They need a repeatable scenario for each level/tier or they need to decide whatever abstract idea makes replay bad for Society is valid and remove the ability to replay tier 1-2 modules and scenarios. Either a fix to the problem or a little consistency in the error would be nice.

Exactly, there not enough content to really work on more that one or twoc charcters and expect to max them out. They need to do something badly!

I found a small mistake on the Chronicle...
Dang you people are needy!

Malkavian_Andi
January 10th, 2014, 12:34
They need a repeatable scenario for each level/tierThat would definitely be a bad idea, because then everybody would only play replayables. I'm not even thinking about paizo's sales (which would go down very much), but when every character can play replayables from level 1-12, we arrive at a situation that strongly reminds me of Diablo 2. I wouldn't be much fun to play because you know every part of the story and there wouldn't be much of a challenge.

With the scenarios they have at the moment, you can get a lot of characters leveled up quite well. Sure, you'll have to use GM credit, but that will only give more players the opportunity to play.
From experience, I can tell you the tier 1-5 scenarios are the first ones you run out of (there are only a few left I haven't played yet), so having replayables for level 1 does help a lot.

Trueshots
January 10th, 2014, 13:24
If they aren't interested in repeatables they need to put out more scenarios faster imo.

Trenloe
January 10th, 2014, 14:17
If they aren't interested in repeatables they need to put out more scenarios faster imo.
We had this conversation a year ago when you felt that there weren't enough PFS scenarios and you would be able to play through them all in a few months. There are currently:

162 PFS scenarios covering all levels from 1-12 (some specials go beyond this). On average 2.5 scenarios are added a month (30 scenarios a year).
27 PFS Sanctioned modules covering levels 1 - 18. Most of these are multi-session modules.
30 PFS Sanctioned multi-session adventure path segments covering levels 1 - 18 (I believe).

The above would cover you for over 300 x 4 hour sessions.

There is well in excess of 100 levels worth of experience in this PFS content.

I don't think the problem is that Paizo need to put out more scenarios... IMHO! :)

Trueshots
January 10th, 2014, 14:37
I don't think the problem is that Paizo need to put out more scenarios... IMHO! :)
Let's be honest, the older the scenarios, the less likely anyone is going to be running them because they and most of the veteran community already has them. So for noobs like myself were basically limited to the current season and maybe previous season that someone is running. Take Malkavain for example he has almost all the 1-5 scenarios and will probably not be GM'ing them, I assume this is much the same with Vets as himself. And, like Malkavain said. Not enough 1-5 to get multiple characters thru in order to start playing the higher tiered stuff. Allowing (x) of amount of replays per (x) amount of months would be nice that way you could advance you characters instead of waiting weeks to find a game you fit into. Keep in mind, not all of us live in metropolitan areas where there is access to many GM's and frequent games, Some of us have to do what we can online.

jshauber
January 10th, 2014, 14:44
Dang you people are needy!

And if I missed something in our campaign, you wouldn't be asking for it.....LOL

Thanks for updating!!

Malkavian_Andi
January 10th, 2014, 14:54
I suppose I will reallly have to check if I can afford a full liscence... At the moment, I mostly GM at local events, which is once or twice per month (unless there's a convention here, then it's more), and very rarely on roll20.
There's a lot I can still GM for credit, I just don't always have the opportunity (especially time. Time often is a big problem, with all the regular games I already have :P )

Trenloe
January 10th, 2014, 15:02
Let's be honest, the older the scenarios, the less likely anyone is going to be running them because they and most of the veteran community already has them. So for noobs like myself were basically limited to the current season and maybe previous season that someone is running.
I disagree - If you look through the game announcement thread you will see that games ran are across the board from season 0 to the latest season. At FG Con out of 15 PFS sessions only 2 were for the latest season - and the other older season sessions filled up. There are a few seasoned players/GMs on this forum but the majority are fairly new in terms of the amount of PFS scenarios they've played - I'd say the majority of players/GMs active on this forum have played/ran less than 25% of the PFS scenarios out there.

The problem is not the amount of PFS scenarios available, the problem is (in general) getting GMs to run scenarios. You, yourself, has sited the main barrier being the prep time to run a game - if there were 5+ PFS scenarios coming out each month would this mean there would be more games being ran on FG? No it wouldn't.

I think some of your thinking is based on your difficulty to get a game organised over the holiday period. Outside of people's lack of availability over the holidays, if a few days notice are given to run a game (that hasn't also been ran recently) at a reasonable time, the games here usually fill up.

Nickademus
January 10th, 2014, 19:04
That would definitely be a bad idea, because then everybody would only play replayables. I'm not even thinking about paizo's sales (which would go down very much), but when every character can play replayables from level 1-12, we arrive at a situation that strongly reminds me of Diablo 2. I wouldn't be much fun to play because you know every part of the story and there wouldn't be much of a challenge.

I agree this may happen. But to be honest, if a player of PFS plays only the repeatables to level, they aren't playing PFS. The story of the different scenarios is the point of playing; the diversity of the games is one of the benefits to a single-session game. Anyone that chooses to grind a number of repeatable scenarios has only their selves to blame and they will end up with multiple level 12 characters and nothing to do because all the content of PFS is what they skipped. PFS has no end-game.

There will always be players that play the non-repeatable scenarios for the joy of playing the scenario.

The problem is not the amount of PFS scenarios available, the problem is (in general) getting GMs to run scenarios. You, yourself, has sited the main barrier being the prep time to run a game - if there were 5+ PFS scenarios coming out each month would this mean there would be more games being ran on FG? No it wouldn't.

And this is a good time to bring up the idea of sharing prepped adventures (which is not currently allowed). As mentioned in the other PFS thread, it would be nice to here some news on this becoming available. It would definitely help convince GMs to run more PFS.

Trueshots
January 10th, 2014, 21:40
It would definitely help convince GMs to run more PFS.

Yea, as much as I love FG and the community I've been thinking about going to Roll20 site and playing some games and trying to GM a couple too since those guys are allowed to share files. Don't get me wrong I love playing low level characters but I would really like to have some in the high, mid and low teens as well as the 8-12 range toons. Just frustrating playing 1-7 characters all the time.