PDA

View Full Version : Champions/HERO System Ruleset - FG 3.0

Pages : [1] 2

Blackfoot
December 29th, 2013, 17:26
UPDATE July 6, 2014 FIX - Entangle needs to not do damage , create effect and show to the GM what is needed to get out - DONE
FIX - POST 12 Recovery not working for PCs - DONE
FIX - normal defenses applying to mental attacks - DONE
ADD - Presence Attacks - DONE
ADD - Power Activation Rolls built in power/weapon/etc - STARTED
ADDED Activation DC Box - DONE
ADDED Normal/Burnout/Jammed Cycler - DONE
ADDED Burnout/Jammed Checkbox - DONE
ADD - GM can't roll OCV from Combat Tracker - DONE

UPDATE July 2, 2014 ADD 'FAILURE by' or 'SUCCESS by' to rolls that Fail and Succeed - DONE
Another Pass on Combat mods (-X DCV, 1/2 DCV, 0 DCV, Etc.) - FIXED
ADD abort widget for player view in combat tracker.. this actually was working. ABORTED overlays INIT info. - FIXED
Rolling from combat value on Main tab (ECV) generates an error - FIXED

UPDATE May 28, 2014 Added DCV Penalties for Common Effects:
STUNNED
Grabbed
Grabbing
Prone
Entangled
Braced
Surprised
Recovering
Climbing
ZeroDCV
HalfDCV

UPDATE May 23, 2014 Dragging Damage from the Chat Window was not applying BODY Damage - FIXED
Healing Spell Actions were not working in Spell Classes - FIXED
Add HEAL BODY option to Heal Spell Action.

UPDATE February 14, 2014 Modifiers 'Add' to Attack Rolls instead of the Target Number - Solution (REMOVE MODIFIERS BOX)
Resolved effects with 'Phase' Durations.
Linked Spell Class Power Points to Endurance
Added an option for an Endurance Reserve.
Added Killing Dice.
Added 'RESISTANT' Defense handling.
OCV and DCV effects are now working.
Effect Durations needs to check for 'Flash' Defense.
Add functionality for 'Drain' and POWER Defense.

UPDATE February 2, 2014
Combat Tracker: Report new Segment to the Chat Window.
Effect counters are now tracking properly.

Damage Properties: Added 'STUN ONLY' Property.
Added 'AP'/'Armor Piercing' Property.
Added 'NND'/'No Normal Defense' Property.

TO DO: Damage dragged from the Chat Window does not deliver BODY Damage.
Modifiers 'Add' to Attack Rolls instead of the Target Number - Solution (REMOVE MODIFIERS BOX)
Add KILLING Damage.
Add more effects to handle specific Powers, Limitations, Advantages, and Disadvantages.

UPDATE January 22, 2014
Combat Tracker: Turn Sequence issue resolved.
ABORT? toggle added on GM side. Automatically skips the character's next action.

TO DO: Effect counters are not tracking properly.
Damage dragged from the Chat Window does not deliver BODY Damage.
Modifiers 'Add' to Attack Rolls instead of the Target Number - Solution (REMOVE MODIFIERS BOX)
Add 'STUN ONLY' Effect option.
Add KILLING Damage.
Add more effects to handle specific Powers, Limitations, Advantages, and Disadvantages.

I've started working on a Playtest Scenario.. I will be looking at putting together a couple of sessions soon.
UPDATE January 18, 2014
Got a few things mostly working this weekend.
Combat Tracker: Automated POST Segment 12 Recovery working.
Effects for Defenses working.
Many Effects need to be added on a item by item basis... so I may have missed some situations.
Turn Segments Sequence 'working' but still has some problems when the Character acts again immediately after his last Phase.
Still need to tweak how the turn sequence 'looks' in the tracker. Currently displays Actor's 'Phase' but does not allow for noting delayed or 'extra segment' actions. Nor does it calculate 'rolloff' for characters with the same DEX.

NPCS: Skill, Perception, Attacks, and Stat rolls working properly.
Complete and ready for testing.

Character Sheet: Added Damage Reduction
Added XP Tracking Box
Complete and ready for testing?

Outstanding Issues: Modifiers 'Add' to Attack Rolls instead of the Target Number - Need to Remove Modifiers Box.
Fix 'Damage' for Mental Attack types.
Type 'mental' does no body.
Add Killing Damage

UPDATE January 15th, 2014
Combat Tracker: Added several more Character fields to the tracker including defense types and recovery.
Added RECOVER button for the GM in the Tracker.

NPCs: Created Champions specific NPC sheet.
Working on skill and stat roll functionality for the NPC sheets.

UPDATE January 7th, 2014
Combat Tracker: Resolved display for other "factions" besides 'Friendly' on the client side and fixed damage colors and words for STUN vs BODY damage.
Damage being applied correctly.
PD & ED being applied against damage.
Resolved effects so that they are now being applied, in some cases they are not calculating the right bonuses though.

UPDATE December 29th, 2013
Character Sheet:
Actions Tab: Attack rolls targeting and hitting properly.
Temporary damage solution working but not finished yet.
Effects still not applying properly.

Desktop: Resolved Decal position issue.

Reference Library: Skills Module working and draggable to Skills Tab.
Powers Module working but not Dropable on Abilities Tab.

UPDATE November 29th, 2013
Character Sheet:
Abilities Tab:
Detail button displaying properly.
Revised button graphic needed.
Missing box type in detail windows header.
Module integration unknown, no 'power' modules created yet.

Party Sheet:
Main Tab: Displays correct values for Characteristics AND Characteristic Rolls.
Skills Tab: Displays correct values for Skill Rolls AND determines 'SUCCESS' properly.
Includes vestigial values from 3.5 that need removal or conversion to something useful.
XP Tab: Needs Love.
Options to turn on player access to parts of the Party Sheet not available.

Combat Tracker: Added a variety of features here.
Displays current initiative (DEX by Default), BOD, STU, BOD damage, STU, damage
Offense Displays: SPD, DEX, OCV, ECV, and attacks.
Defense Displays: DCV, PD, ED ... can add rPD, rED, MD, FD, PowD
Speed sorting for initiative adjustments needs to be created.

NPCs: Still very basic from CoreRPG... need to be updated.

UPDATE November 14th, 2013
I made some more headway.
Character Sheet:
Abilities Tab: Functional but 'Detail Boxes' are not displaying.
Skills Tab: Automatically adds only 'Everyman' skills to skill list.
Making proper calculations for skill value.
Determining SUCCESS or FAILURE on rolls.
Cycles 'Skill Types': Untrained, Familiarity, Background, and Trained

Party Sheet: Main Tab: Displays correct values for Characteristics but not 'rolls'.
Skills Tab: Displays correct values for Skill Rolls but does not determine 'SUCCESS' properly.
Includes vestigial values from 3.5 that need removal or conversion to something useful.
Inventory Tab: No Adjustments.
Order Tab: No Adjustments.
XP Tab: Needs Love.

UPDATE November 7th, 2013
This project is moving forward again in 3.0.
I got the stat and sense rolls working properly and now I need to carry that code over to the skills page.
I'm working on the combat tracker, and added an extra 'damage status' box on the main page of the character sheet.
I've been largely ignoring Endurance because I don't use it in my game but I'm thinking that I might be able to handle it 'easily' so I will probably explore adding it.
Current Issues:
Main Tab: All functions working properly except for targeting combat rolls, connected to the tracker.
Abilities Tab: Almost everything is working here, just needs to be prettied up a bit.
Skills Tab: Displays skills properly but is not doing the proper calculations.
Inventory Tab: Straight from CoreRPG.
Notes Tab: Straight from CoreRPG.
Actions Tab: Was working well in 3.5e/2.9 version... now hosed.
Party Sheet: Translating 3.5e Party Sheet to use Champions calculations and statistics.
Combat Tracker: Coming along. Needs: Connect links to Character Sheet information.
Attacks.
Defenses.
Deal with 'Speed' Turn pacing.
Create automatic Initiative Rolloff for same Dex.
Add Endurance with a Preference to toggle it off.

Overall I need to tie my functions back to CoreRPG more and change them over from 2.9 references.

DrakosDJ
December 30th, 2013, 06:25
Nice, can't wait for a release. I've played every edition of Hero since Champions 1st Edition, except 6th. I have the 6th edition rules but I don't like them; I just DO NOT understand why some of the changes they made were made.

Blackfoot
December 30th, 2013, 06:25
Nice, can't wait for a release. I've played every edition of Hero since Champions 1st Edition, except 6th. I have the 6th edition rules but I don't like them; I just DO NOT understand why some of the changes they made were made.

I have to agree with you there.
Here are some more screenshots:

Blackfoot
January 7th, 2014, 22:04
Got a few more things working...
Resolved display for other "factions" besides 'Friendly' on the client side and fixed damage colors and words for STUN vs BODY damage.
Damage being applied correctly.
PD & ED being applied against damage.
Resolved effects so that they are now being applied, in some cases they are not calculating the right bonuses though.

Need to create code to handle 'Killing' Damage.
Here are a few screenshots:

DrakosDJ
January 14th, 2014, 04:19
So, any updates on how this ruleset is progressing?

Blackfoot
January 14th, 2014, 05:16
Tracking down minor issues and working on the Combat Tracker. Added a Recovery button to the Tracker and working on how 'Speed' is going to function... the next big piece is implementing it.
The Character Sheet is looking pretty good overall.
The Tracker and NPCs are the next big things that need resolution... at that point I'll probably start doing some playtesting.

Kevlyn
January 14th, 2014, 17:08
When its ready to playtest let me know and I'll setup a game for it.

Blackfoot
January 15th, 2014, 18:21
UPDATE January 15th, 2014
Combat Tracker: Added several more Character fields to the tracker including defense types and recovery.
Added RECOVER button for the GM in the Tracker.

NPCs: Created Champions specific NPC sheet.
Working on skill and stat roll functionality for the NPC sheets.

Blackfoot
January 19th, 2014, 03:15
UPDATE January 18, 2014
Got a few things mostly working this weekend.
Combat Tracker: Automated POST Segment 12 Recovery working.
Effects for Defenses working.
Many Effects need to be added on a item by item basis... so I may have missed some situations.
Turn Segments Sequence 'working' but still has some problems when the Character acts again immediately after his last Phase.
Still need to tweak how the turn sequence 'looks' in the tracker. Currently displays Actor's 'Phase' but does not allow for noting delayed or 'extra segment' actions. Nor does it calculate 'rolloff' for characters with the same DEX.

NPCS: Skill, Perception, Attacks, and Stat rolls working properly.
Complete and ready for testing.

Character Sheet: Added Damage Reduction
Added EXP Tracking Box
Complete and ready for testing?

Outstanding Issues: Modifiers 'Add' to Attack Rolls instead of the Target Number - Need to Remove Modifiers Box.
Fix 'Damage' for Mental Attack types.
Type 'mental' does no body.
Add 'KILLING' Damage.

Blackfoot
January 20th, 2014, 18:55
I have both BODY and STUN damage represented in the Combat Tracker... I set up these damage levels for STUN damage... but I don't think I like 'Healthy' for the 'Normal' status.

if nStun-nNonlethal < -10 then
sNLStatus = "Out Cold";
elseif nPercentNonlethal > 1 then
sNLStatus = "Dazed";
elseif nPercentNonlethal == 1 then
sNLStatus = "Woozy";
elseif nPercentNonlethal >= .75 then
sNLStatus = "Rattled";
elseif nPercentNonlethal >= .5 then
sNLStatus = "Shakey";
elseif nPercentNonlethal >= .25 then
sNLStatus = "Battered";
elseif nPercentNonlethal > 0 then
sNLStatus = "Winded";
else
sNLStatus = "Healthy";
end

Trenloe
January 20th, 2014, 19:00
I have both BODY and STUN damage represented in the Combat Tracker... I set up these damage levels for STUN damage... but I don't think I like 'Healthy' for the 'Normal' status.
I think you should go with "Chipper". :)

Blackfoot
January 20th, 2014, 21:17
I was thinking maybe 'Aware', Clear' or 'Focused' but those don't seem quite right.

Phystus
January 21st, 2014, 03:03
What about "A-OK"? Or "Fine"?

~P

DrakosDJ
January 21st, 2014, 05:00
You might try "Unharmed"

Blackfoot
January 21st, 2014, 06:48
I'm thinking maybe 'Alert'...

Blackfoot
January 22nd, 2014, 21:31
UPDATE January 22, 2014
Combat Tracker: Turn Sequence issue resolved.
ABORT? toggle added on GM side. Automatically skips the character's next action.

TO DO: Effect counters are not tracking properly.
Damage dragged from the Chat Window does not deliver BODY Damage.
Add 'STUN ONLY' Effect option.
Add KILLING Damage.

I've started working on a Playtest Scenario.. I will be looking at putting together a couple of sessions soon.

Blackfoot
January 28th, 2014, 19:07
I added a few screenshots to posts #3 and #4

wbcreighton
January 28th, 2014, 20:49
I added a few screenshots to posts #3 and #4

That looks awesome ! Can't wait to try it out. :)

Blackfoot
February 1st, 2014, 20:15
Effect Timers have proven to be a real pain with my fluid Tracker setup.
Hopefully I can come up with a solution that is both simple to use and accurate... I've been fighting with this since my last post.

Moon Wizard
February 1st, 2014, 23:40
Some random thoughts that may or may not work :
* Have effects only expire at beginning or end of round/segment combo.
* If expiration linked to character, track round, segment and speed of combatant applying effect in the effect details.

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
February 2nd, 2014, 00:03
Some random thoughts that may or may not work :
* Have effects only expire at beginning or end of round/segment combo.
* If expiration linked to character, track round, segment and speed of combatant applying effect in the effect details.

Cheers,
JPG
My current plan is something like your first suggestion (I think... assuming I can get it to work right) I'm updating nDuration at the start of each Segment but if the Effect is due to expire on that Segment, I'm actually expiring the Effect just before the appropriate DEX. There are some issues I can see that I still need to work out... but I'm trying to get them sorted.. this bit has got my head spinning a bit. :D

Blackfoot
February 2nd, 2014, 17:04
I got the Effects Counters working properly, although some further testing to try and 'break it' wouldn't be a bad thing.
Timers for 'Odd' numbered Phase effect durations are going to be a problem but segment, even phase, and minute effects are working properly.

Blackfoot
February 2nd, 2014, 19:26
UPDATE February 2, 2014
Combat Tracker: Report new Segment to the Chat Window.
Effect counters are now tracking properly.

Damage Properties: Added 'STUN ONLY' Property.
Added 'AP'/'Armor Piercing' Property.
Added 'NND'/'No Normal Defense' Property.

TO DO: Damage dragged from the Chat Window does not deliver BODY Damage.
Add KILLING Damage.

DrakosDJ
February 3rd, 2014, 04:36
How are you handling changes to the combat order when a characters speed is changed during a turn? So, lets say someone gets speed drained, are you resorting the combat tracker?

Blackfoot
February 3rd, 2014, 04:47
Speed and Dexterity changes happen immediately.. if you want them to. 'phase' and 'dex' are adjustable by the GM to allow for delayed and out of sequence actions. If I remember right.. there are specifics in the rules for when these changes actually take effect... but the sorting is done all the time so that whenever a new value for dex or phase is entered... it immediately resorts.

Blackfoot
February 3rd, 2014, 05:04
I should add that it recalculates 'next phase' after the next action using current speed (including effects).. so at that point it will treat the character as though their speed were the new value.

The specific rules look like this:

a character can change his SPD in any of his Phases. Changing SPD is a Zero Phase Action. After he has changed his SPD, a character cannot act (though he may Abort; see below) until the next Segment that’s a Phase for both of the SPDs. Once he has taken an Action at the new SPD, he is at that SPD for the rest of the Turn.
So technically, the GM should switch the character's 'phase' value to the next segment where both SPDs act.. usually on segment 12. The rules here are a bit screwy... I would probably allow for 'delays' to match up speeds here.

Michael Hopcroft
February 13th, 2014, 03:28
I will be very interested in seeing what happens with this. I used to play a great deal of Hero and am still active on their forum.

Is there a way I can keep posted on the status of projects like this?

Blackfoot
February 13th, 2014, 14:40
Is there a way I can keep posted on the status of projects like this?You did it, posting here subscribes you to this thread where I am posting all my update information.

wbcreighton
February 13th, 2014, 21:58
You did it, posting here subscribes you to this thread where I am posting all my update information.

As long as the email notification is working. It can be sporadic....

Blackfoot
February 14th, 2014, 07:01
As long as the email notification is working. It can be sporadic....
It isn't actually sporadic, it only sends messages if there are new posts since you last looked at the thread... and only the first new post... so if you look at the forum on Tuesday and 12 posts before you log in again on Thursday... you only get 1 email... and if you never look at the thread again.. you won't get any more messages after the first.

Blackfoot
February 14th, 2014, 07:09
UPDATE February 14, 2014 Modifiers 'Add' to Attack Rolls instead of the Target Number - Solution (REMOVE MODIFIERS BOX)
Resolved effects with 'Phase' Durations.
Linked Spell Class Power Points to Endurance
Added an option for an Endurance Reserve.
Added Killing Dice.
Added 'RESISTANT' Defense handling.
OCV and DCV effects are now working.
Effect Durations needs to check for 'Flash' Defense.
Add functionality for 'Drain' and POWER Defense.

wbcreighton
February 14th, 2014, 20:11
That may be true, but I wasn't getting notifications until I just switched to gmail from hotmail. I never check the PFS game thread but I still get notifications :p

DrakosDJ
March 7th, 2014, 03:48
Haven't heard anything lately about how this is going. Any updates you might share?

Blackfoot
March 7th, 2014, 04:24
No major updates... I've tweaked (and broken) a few things since my last update but I've mostly been working on putting together a test run of the Ruleset. Hopefully I'll have something playable together in time for FGCon 4.

Dayson
March 8th, 2014, 03:16
No major updates... I've tweaked (and broken) a few things since my last update but I've mostly been working on putting together a test run of the Ruleset. Hopefully I'll have something playable together in time for FGCon 4.
Awesome! I really appreciate all the hard work you are doing for the community! It seems that there is a growing interest in this ruleset.

thomasjeffrey
March 12th, 2014, 01:22
i haven't played an RPG in over 20 years but if you get this working, i'll totally start playing again. it looks awesome....

Blackfoot
March 24th, 2014, 00:30
Ran my first playtest of the ruleset today as a home game with my crew here. We found a few bugs: Combat Tracker isn't including +/- ADJ from the Character Sheet Main Tabs when doing the calculations for far too many things was the biggest one. Particularly when dealing with SPEED and DEX.
Killing Dice are still giving me trouble.
Need to sort out an option for characters who 'DELAY' or take a 'Partial' action (half move & delay).
Need to work out more EFFECTs functionality.
PRONE is still reflecting the 3.5 -4 DCV rather than 1/2 DCV.

BTW. For those who are new to Champions. Avoid playing with a lot of players. We had 7 PCs at the table and while we all had a great time.. there was a LOT of sitting around waiting for your turn... and then the boyz were cutting up.. and that leads to more waiting.. ya know how it goes. :)

DrakosDJ
March 24th, 2014, 05:10
Yeah, it can really go slower when you get more players. One of the reasons a tool to help with the book keeping / automation would be a blessing.

Blackfoot
March 24th, 2014, 05:17
Yeah, it can really go slower when you get more players. One of the reasons a tool to help with the book keeping / automation would be a blessing.
Generally.. the tool works well. A bit harder when half of the dice are rolled on the table and you can't scroll back to see the roll before last. I've been using it to track my play by post game and it works great. I don't know that I'll be ready for a go at FG Con now though. I may end up running too many PF games and there are several things I need to fix in the ruleset. I'll keep everyone here informed.

Fizban
March 26th, 2014, 12:11
I just found this out, I love that you are working on a Champions/Hero ruleset! I literally adore this system. This and cortex are my go to rulesets with non VTT games. Is it just you or are you getting help? Hell I'd probably learn LUA just to help! This is definitely being bought when it's released. You sir, are owed a beer.

Blackfoot
March 26th, 2014, 15:05
I just found this out, I love that you are working on a Champions/Hero ruleset! I literally adore this system. This and cortex are my go to rulesets with non VTT games. Is it just you or are you getting help? Hell I'd probably learn LUA just to help! This is definitely being bought when it's released. You sir, are owed a beer.
It's just me.. although I've had a good bit of help from folks on the boards with things that got me stuck.
I'm not sure it can be sold for money as I haven't set up any sort of arrangement with HERO Games.
As for the beer... I don't drink but thanks for the offer. :)
Right now I'm sorta wallowing in Killing Damage.. it's made a mess of things and I need to fix it.

Fizban
March 26th, 2014, 15:41
Yeah, it's probably not the easiest system to work with. Gods I wish I knew about programming and stuff so I could help. Ah well, perhaps something to learn in the future. Good luck with the rest of it!

Michael Hopcroft
March 30th, 2014, 04:14
"Wallowing in Killing Damage" is a charming mental image....

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2014, 22:28
I have scheduled a Playtest Game slot for Thursday at FG Con IV (https://www.fg-con.com/events/champions-playtest/). I realize this is in the afternoon for many of you so I may move the slot to Sunday if there isn't enough interest. (I do have 1 signup already though)

DrakosDJ
April 10th, 2014, 04:44
I am interested but I'll be at work on Thursday.

Dakadin
April 10th, 2014, 07:30
I have to work at that time also but I hope you are able to fill it so you can play test it a bit more.

Dayson
April 10th, 2014, 11:21
I will try to make the Thursday game, but Sunday will be better for me.

Blackfoot
April 10th, 2014, 17:01
I do still have 2 slots open on my Sunday schedule...
Either the 9 am - 2 pm slot or the 9 pm - 2 am (Eastern Times)...

Dayson
April 10th, 2014, 23:54
I do still have 2 slots open on my Sunday schedule...
Either the 9 am - 2 pm slot or the 9 pm - 2 am (Eastern Times)...
OK, put me down for the 9 am Sunday game please.

Blackfoot
April 11th, 2014, 00:16
I haven't moved the game time yet.. but I'll make a note of your preference.

Hornet
April 12th, 2014, 22:51
I'd like to join the Thursday playtest.

Trenloe
April 12th, 2014, 22:54
I'd like to join the Thursday playtest.
Cool. All FG Con bookings are being handled through the FG Con event system. Please go to the FG Con event and sign up: https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Hornet
April 13th, 2014, 01:35
Cool. All FG Con bookings are being handled through the FG Con event system. Please go to the FG Con event and sign up: https://www.fg-con.com/events/

I did. Just wanted to hit here also. It says I am pending.

Blackfoot
April 14th, 2014, 07:23
It looks like I am going to have enough players to go ahead with the Thursday playtest as originally scheduled.

Blackfoot
April 30th, 2014, 22:56
Can still take another player for the FGCon playtest. I don't mind running with only a few players, things will tend to go faster... but I'd like to give as many as I can handle the chance to check out the ruleset.

Blackfoot
April 30th, 2014, 23:02
Puttering with some stuff related to HOLDING ACTIONS.
The GM now has a 'Hold?' toggle in addition to the 'Abort?' toggle.
These toggles cover the DEX/PHASE fields on the client when active with 'ON HOLD' or 'ABORTED'.
They will be mutually exclusive and one cannot be set while the other is active.
They SHOULD do some funky stuff to the sort and turn order.. I'm still working on this part.
My intention is for the ON HOLD to push the character to the top of the tracker but not have them 'active' until the flag is flipped off.
Aborted characters already work.. when it comes to an aborted character's turn it immediately advances them to their next phase and turns off the flag.

Blackfoot
May 1st, 2014, 00:25
Some pieces to the HOLD/ABORT code that I'm looking to incorporate: The HOLD flag auto sets character current DEX/SEGMENT to FIRST in the sort when turned on.
HOLD flag auto sets character to the current DEX/SEGMENT when turned off and sets them to 'active'.
HOLD flag cannot by set while ABORT flag is active.
ABORT flag cannot be set while HOLD flag is active.

I seem to have broken the 'Show Ally/Enemy health' features somewhere in the transition from 3.0.x to now... not sure what went wrong there... or where to look to fix it.. I'll figure it out eventually.

Blackfoot
May 1st, 2014, 07:33
Down to 2 players now for the FG Con playtest.
I'm probably not up for running it with only 2... I'll be emailing the players that are signed up about rescheduling unless we get some interest over the weekend.
Sing out here if you wanted to play but couldn't and there was a better slot for you.
My Con schedule is pretty full so there aren't a LOT of slots available for me... but I'll try and work something out.

Blackfoot
May 1st, 2014, 18:11
Ran into a bit of a problem with holding, when 2 or more folks are holding it sends you into a bad loop. I could resolve this by shoving them to the end of the tracker but I wanted them at the top so they were 'in your face'. Anyone have any clever ideas?
What I'm doing now is that I've added a 'hold' check in the sort so that it sorts holds out before checking for the rest of the sort issues.

Michael Hopcroft
May 2nd, 2014, 01:26
La La La. I live on the west coast of the US and will be at work next week at the time the game is scheduled to run -- which is 11:00AM my time. I run into problems with scheduling all the time in VoIP environments, trying to find a time that everyone can make.

Blackfoot
May 2nd, 2014, 02:39
Looks like my Con schedule is pretty well booked at this point. The ONLY slot I really have available is Slot 4 on Sunday evening. That would be a start time of something like 8 or 9 pm Eastern time.. winding up around 1 or 2pm. (3 hours earlier for Pacific Time... 4 hours later for UTC)

I literally have something in EVERY other game slot (including 1 slot a day for sleeping. :)

DrakosDJ
May 2nd, 2014, 05:43
I would love to join you in the playtest during the Con, but I am not available for a weekday play. Saturday or Sunday works for me however.

Blackfoot
May 2nd, 2014, 18:18
OK. I scheduled the alternate game time... IF I get enough for the first run... I'll go ahead with that... otherwise... the 2 signups get first dibs on the Sunday game.. all others are first come first served.
Link to the FG Con Event Signup (https://www.fg-con.com/events/champions-playtest-2/)

Blackfoot
May 3rd, 2014, 01:19
Yeah.. ok.. I knew that Sunday was going to be a better time.. that's part of why I scheduled it on Thursday. With only 4 slots available... it was bound to fill up fast.
The 2 remaining slots are reserved for Dayson and Joe.
I will make an announcement here if that situation changes before the game.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2014, 01:25
Yeah.. ok.. I knew that Sunday was going to be a better time.. that's part of why I scheduled it on Thursday. With only 4 slots available... it was bound to fill up fast.
I was wondering where Jeremy and Bridget were. :)

Blackfoot
May 3rd, 2014, 01:38
Clearly I'm going to have to run this again after the Con sometime... maybe I have a go at bug fixes that come up during the Con. :)

Dakadin
May 3rd, 2014, 01:52
I was wondering where Jeremy and Bridget were. :)

LOL. Working on Thursday but not on Sunday. :p

Blackfoot
May 5th, 2014, 20:15
I've had no word from the 4th player (Joe)... and several of you sounded off that you might like his slot.
The game is now running Sunday at 8 or 9 (depending on when the consensus of players want to start... 8:30 is even an option) Eastern Time... which works out to something like 12 or 1am UTC.

Anyone interested in 'standby' assuming the 4th doesn't show?

Michael Hopcroft
May 6th, 2014, 03:46
I can't make a guarantee just yet, but I could be able to serve as a fill-in if there's a spot open at game start (either a planned vacancy or someone not able to make it). I'm going to PM you with my e-mail and AIM so you can reach me.

DrakosDJ
May 6th, 2014, 05:12
I am interested in joining the demo for Sunday. How long do you anticipate the session will be?

Pregen characters I would assume?

Trenloe
May 6th, 2014, 05:14
I am interested in joining the demo for Sunday. How long do you anticipate the session will be?

Pregen characters I would assume?
Info here: https://www.fg-con.com/events/champions-playtest-2/

DrakosDJ
May 7th, 2014, 05:58
Ok, that link does answer the question about characters, but it also lists it as Monday.

Trenloe
May 7th, 2014, 06:03
Ok, that link does answer the question about characters, but it also lists it as Monday.
By default, events are listed in the UTC 0 time zone. If you're interested in signing up, create an account and set your time zone at the bottom of your user profile page. Then the event times will be displayed in your local time zone (if you have logged in to your account).

OTG_Wraith
May 8th, 2014, 08:03
I'm interested in something after the Con as well.

Blackfoot
May 8th, 2014, 08:15
I'm interested in something after the Con as well.
Are you 'Joe'?
There was a player who was signed up for the session before I changed the time, but he did not respond to my emails. Is that you?

Hornet
May 8th, 2014, 17:03
Is that why I am showed as 'Rejected'? I was signed up for the one today, has that been cancelled?

Blackfoot
May 8th, 2014, 18:44
Is that why I am showed as 'Rejected'? I was signed up for the one today, has that been cancelled?The event was postponed until Sunday evening (eastern time). I was reserving the slot for whoever was signed up (a guy named Joe).. if that was you then feel free to take the last slot.
Otherwise.. it's fair game to anyone who is interested.
https://www.fg-con.com/events/champions-playtest-2/

Hornet
May 8th, 2014, 21:52
Yes, I plan to be there.

Blackfoot
May 8th, 2014, 22:02
Yes, I plan to be there.
You should have received an email from me. Check your spam folder.

Blackfoot
May 11th, 2014, 19:11
I'm happy to start tonight's playtest at either 8 or 9pm Eastern Time, since my earlier game was cancelled.
What do you guys want to do?

Dayson
May 11th, 2014, 20:07
I am fine with either

Dakadin
May 11th, 2014, 20:50
Bridget and I are fine with either also.

Blackfoot
May 12th, 2014, 20:11
I think the session went pretty well. I hope everyone had a good time.
Players, please post some feedback on the ruleset, features you liked.. but more importantly features you'd like to see or that existed but didn't work quite right.

Also: I'm going to run this again..

Started a new thread to discuss it HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20983-Champions-Playtest-Second-Running&p=174027#post174027).

OTG_Wraith
May 12th, 2014, 21:39
Had a fun time. The ruleset ran great (though I am sure you were juggling behind the scenes) All in all, a great Champions experience.

You touched on nearly everything I saw deficient, the base STR die roll, combat modifier effects (1/2 dcv, 0 dcv, +/- cv, dbl dmg for surprise.invisible, etc.), token markers/icons for states (stun, dazed, entangled, etc.) I think you're on the right track, I really can't add anything you didn't mention yourself during the game.

Dakadin
May 13th, 2014, 07:45
I had a great time. It was fun playing Champions again after all these years. Bridget really enjoyed it also for her first time playing. She actually wants to play again soon and so do I. :D

I think the ruleset worked very well. As we discussed after the game, it still needs some work before release.

I thought the combat tracker was well done. It had a nice simple but elegant approach to a very complicated turn system. There are still a few things that need to be added but it seemed like one of the strong points of the ruleset.

The look and feel was another very strong point. The font and layout were really impressive.

The use of Weapons and Effects to handle powers also worked very well. It would be nice to combine those together so you don't have to go to separate areas to do the attacks and apply the effects. I also liked the effects you already had available.

OTG_Wraith mentioned some of the issues we had and you definitely needed to do some juggling behind the scenes but it helped with a lot of little things that really sped things up. The 2 biggest ones that come to mind are initiative tracking and hit/miss results (It was great not having to do the math with OCV/DCV to figure out the target number).

Keep up the good work and let me know if you are doing a different scenario in the future. :)

Blackfoot
May 23rd, 2014, 19:01
UPDATE May 23, 2014 Dragging Damage from the Chat Window was not applying BODY Damage - FIXED
Healing Spell Actions were not working in Spell Classes - FIXED
Add HEAL BODY option to Heal Spell Action.

TO DO LIST : STARTED - Clean up Spell Classes on Actions Tab
Remove 'Saving Throw' from Attack Action Button.
Fix OCV calculations in Attack Action Button.
Remove FLASH as a Damage Type.
Add Base STR Damage Button to Main Tab.
Rework Actions tab for Autofire Weapons (5 total)
Add 'DESOL' Effect.
Add Effects for: 1/2 DCV, 0 DCV, PRONE, INVISIBLE, REAR, STUNNED
STR Damage needs to be adjusted by Effects.
Add Half DCV Button
Add Entangle Damage Type
Add Knockback Tools
Fix Damage Info and Effects Display Options from CoreRPG not working.

Dakadin
May 23rd, 2014, 19:14
Awesome! Keep up the great work. I can't wait to try it again. :D

Mallet
May 28th, 2014, 06:39
Hi. This sounds amazing. I looked into a VTT a few years back, but because none of them had a Hero System ruleset I never got in to it. But now... I'd be willing to get Fantasy Grounds for this. Where would I be able to add/download this Hero System ruleset you've built, or is it still not readily available to the general public?

Blackfoot
May 28th, 2014, 06:46
Hi. This sounds amazing. I looked into a VTT a few years back, but because none of them had a Hero System ruleset I never got in to it. But now... I'd be willing to get Fantasy Grounds for this. Where would I be able to add/download this Hero System ruleset you've built, or is it still not readily available to the general public?

Still working on it... but keep an eye on this thread I will be posting updates here.

Blackfoot
May 28th, 2014, 09:44
UPDATE May 28, 2014 Added DCV Penalties for Common Effects:
STUNNED
Grabbed
Grabbing
Prone
Entangled
Braced
Surprised
Recovering
Climbing
ZeroDCV
HalfDCV

Dayson
May 28th, 2014, 12:30
I sent you an invite to the Champions/Hero group.

Mallet
May 29th, 2014, 05:51
Still working on it... but keep an eye on this thread I will be posting updates here.

Fantastic, I will indeed keep checking back.

Thanks!

Mallet
May 29th, 2014, 05:52
I sent you an invite to the Champions/Hero group.

Thank You!

Dayson
May 29th, 2014, 12:28
;)
You are very welcome.

DrakosDJ
June 26th, 2014, 05:23
So, any updates on this ruleset?

Blackfoot
June 26th, 2014, 06:58
So, any updates on this ruleset?
A lot of little things.. mostly dealing with the aftermath of the latest CoreRPG updates. We had a playtest tonight and came up with a lot of issues and ideas. There is more info and discussion being posted to the Champions/HERO Group.

Blackfoot
June 29th, 2014, 19:24
I ran into an interesting bug in our playtest the other night. One of the functions in the Combat Tracker is called as the rounds click by to give everyone a 'Recovery' at a certain point in the round.. basically a bit of healing. It works fine when I run it as the GM but when a player initiates the action all the players (except for the PC himself) are healed for 0 and the NPCs and the PC are healed properly. I am thinking this is likely because the PCs don't have rights to the other PCs so the tracker is somehow unable to gather the information it needs.
Is there a simple work around for this that someone knows of?

Trenloe
June 29th, 2014, 19:28
I ran into an interesting bug in our playtest the other night. One of the functions in the Combat Tracker is called as the rounds click by to give everyone a 'Recovery' at a certain point in the round.. basically a bit of healing. It works fine when I run it as the GM but when a player initiates the action all the players (except for the PC himself) are healed for 0 and the NPCs and the PC are healed properly. I am thinking this is likely because the PCs don't have rights to the other PCs so the tracker is somehow unable to gather the information it needs.
Is there a simple work around for this that someone knows of?
Use OOB Messaging so that anyone can initiate the function, but then use "if User.isHost()" to only run the resulting OOB function on the GM side - the GM has full access and so will be able to make the changes.

Blackfoot
July 2nd, 2014, 19:03
UPDATE July 2, 2014 ADD 'FAILURE by' or 'SUCCESS by' to rolls that Fail and Succeed - DONE
Another Pass on Combat mods (-X DCV, 1/2 DCV, 0 DCV, Etc.) - FIXED
ADD abort widget for player view in combat tracker.. this actually was working. ABORTED overlays INIT info. - FIXED
Rolling from combat value on Main tab (ECV) generates an error - FIXED
Working on issues from last week's playtest.

Not sure about Trenloe's suggestion on the one FIX.. I'm not using messaging, merely stepping forward the combat tracker... it's having issues looking up the player stats to calculate their stat values. The issue is occurring when a player advances the tracker instead of the GM.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2014, 19:08
Not sure about Trenloe's suggestion on the one FIX.. I'm not using messaging, merely stepping forward the combat tracker... it's having issues looking up the player stats to calculate their stat values. The issue is occurring when a player advances the tracker instead of the GM.
I'm saying OOB messaging could be the solution - not the cause of the problem.

Only the GM can access certain information in the DB, especially if it requires updating of DB nodes that are not owned by the player. That is one of the reasons OOB messaging is there - so a player can trigger a process that runs on the GM side of FG allowing full access to the database. If the GM updates values in the DB that GUI controls are anchored on then all of the connected players will display the updated information in the relevant controls.

As your issue occurs when the player advances the combat tracker, but doesn't when the GM does the same (I'm guessing running the same code?), then my logical conclusion is that you should use OOB Messaging that triggers when the player advances the combat tracker to run the related code on the GM side.

EDIT: This is exactly what the base 3.5E (and CoreRPG) ruleset does when the player presses the "End Turn" button - CombatManager.notifyEndTurn is called, and the following is the code:

function notifyEndTurn()
local msgOOB = {};
msgOOB.type = OOB_MSGTYPE_ENDTURN;
msgOOB.user = User.getUsername();

Comm.deliverOOBMessage(msgOOB, "");
end
Which is OOB messaging. All of the processing for a player when they press the "end turn" button is handled by the GM via OOB Messaging in the 3.5e and CoreRPG ruleset (the above code is in CoreRPG).

Blackfoot
July 6th, 2014, 20:01
UPDATE July 6, 2014 FIX - Entangle needs to not do damage , create effect and show to the GM what is needed to get out - DONE
FIX - POST 12 Recovery not working for PCs - DONE
FIX - normal defenses applying to mental attacks - DONE
ADD - Presence Attacks - DONE
ADD - Power Activation Rolls built in power/weapon/etc - STARTED
ADDED Activation DC Box - DONE
ADDED Normal/Burnout/Jammed Cycler - DONE
ADDED Burnout/Jammed Checkbox - DONE
ADD - GM can't roll OCV from Combat Tracker - DONE

OTG_Wraith
July 19th, 2014, 23:00
There's now a series of 10 videos up (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21663-Champions-Ruleset-Alpha-Test-Videos) covering the first alpha test we had.

I posted the videos in a separate thread to reduce thread crosstalk and topic pollution of this development thread. If you have any comments or suggestions on the videos please keep them in the other thread. Any thoughts, suggestions, questions or kudos for Blackfoot about the ruleset can stay here.

Thanks guys. Here's looking forward to some great Champions games soon!

Blackfoot
July 25th, 2014, 18:23
I'm currently looking into an implementation for NPC portraits that might be good for FG in general. It would allow the use of 'fitted' square or (in my case) HEX tokens (with a border and mask like the PC portraits) and the use of 'tokens' from the token box as well. My plan is to implement the PC portrait code into the NPC character sheet. This 'might' also allow for the possibility of using that portrait for GM voice in the chat window... Seems like a 'good idea'.

I added this to Moon Wizard's Idea Informer... vote for it HERE (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=86318).

wbcreighton
July 25th, 2014, 18:29
If you need a source for printable paper minis and artwork for super hero tokens check this out:

https://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html#roleplaying

Blackfoot
July 25th, 2014, 18:43
Some very cool stuff there.

Nurgelrot
August 20th, 2014, 00:13
Woot! Can't wait for this one to go public. Great work so far

Blackfoot
August 20th, 2014, 07:23
I'm having a problem with FG not saving 'scroll wheel' modifiers between sessions. Is there something I should look for?

Trenloe
August 20th, 2014, 15:01
I'm having a problem with FG not saving 'scroll wheel' modifiers between sessions. Is there something I should look for?
Look at how it's done in the 3.5E ruleset - for example, the strength ability bonus in campaign\record_char_main.xml:

<number_charabilitybonus name="strengthbonus" source="abilities.strength.bonus">
<anchored to="strength" />
<target>strength</target>
<modifierfield>abilities.strength.bonusmodifier</modifierfield>
<description textres="char_tooltip_strbonus" />
</number_charabilitybonus>
Are you specifying a <modifierfield> entry for a field in the database so the scroll wheel value can be stored in the database?

Blackfoot
August 21st, 2014, 02:23
I thought I was.. lemme check... yep this is the code for the DCV modifier (one I know didn't get saved between sessions)...

<number_cv name="dcv" source="combatvalues.dcv">
<anchored>
<to>cvtitle</to>
<position>insidetopleft</position>
<offset>105,20</offset>
</anchored>
<target>dcv</target>
<modifierfield>combatvalues.dcv.bonusmodifier</modifierfield>
<description>
<text>DCV</text>
</description>
</number_cv>
I assume that it should be saved in the db.xml under charsheet along with the rest of the character data...
in here:

<combatvalues>
<holder name="Blackfoot" owner="true" />
<dcv type="number">5</dcv>
<ecv type="number">4</ecv>
<ocv type="number">4</ocv>
</combatvalues>In this case the saved value does reflect a +1 value (5 instead of 4) but there doesn't seem to be a 'bonusmodifier' saved there anywhere. I suspect that when it reloads the character it will recalculate the DCV number from the DEX value and 'fix' the 5 back to a 4.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2014, 02:39
Can you see those bonusmodifier values being stored in the campaign database (db.xml) if there is a scroll-wheel set value? If not, try typing /save in the database before you open db.xml - do the values appear now?

Blackfoot
August 21st, 2014, 02:44
The data below (in my previous post) was from the db after typing /save with a modified character. .. So yes. it should be showing there right? .. and no it isn't.. so something is tweaked. Gotta figure out where to look to untweak it.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2014, 02:47
Is your number_cv template based on the same template hierarchy as number_charabilitybonus from the 3.5E ruleset? i.e. does it at some point in the hierarchy link to the CoreRPG number_modifier template? It is this template (number_modifier) that has the code (in number_modifer.lua) that sets and reads the value in the database.

Blackfoot
August 21st, 2014, 03:20
Yep.. number_cv uses number_chartotal which uses number_modifier...

Trenloe
August 21st, 2014, 03:44
In the onInit() function for number_modifier.lua (the LUA script file for the number_modifier control template) there is code that creates the database entry for the modifier field:

modifierFieldNode = window.getDatabaseNode().createChild(modifierField Name, "number");
In your case, modifierFieldName will be combatvalues.dcv.bonusmodifier - so this will be created as a child of window.getDatabaseNode(). I'd recommend putting some debug code in the script to see what window.getDatabaseNode() returns - use Debug.console to write the result of window.getDatabaseNode().getNodeName() and see if his is valid and also if adding combatvalues.dcv.bonusmodifier as a child node would make sense.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2014, 03:54
Actually, I think I see the issue. Compare your database structure with that of the example I gave above:

<number_charabilitybonus name="strengthbonus" source="abilities.strength.bonus">
<anchored to="strength" />
<target>strength</target>
<modifierfield>abilities.strength.bonusmodifier</modifierfield>
<description textres="char_tooltip_strbonus" />
</number_charabilitybonus>
This gives database entries of:

<strength>
<holder name="Player" owner="true" />
<bonus type="number">2</bonus>
<bonusmodifier type="number">2</bonusmodifier>
<damage type="number">0</damage>
<score type="number">14</score>
</strength>
Notice that both the strength bonus (the field to display as the main bonus field) is strength.bonus and that the modifier field is strength.bonusmodifier - they are built on the same base database entry, strength, which is just a placeholder not a database entry that has a type (number in this case).

In your code you use combatvalues.dcv to hold the number and then try to build a child on this to hold the bonus: combatvalues.dcv.bonusmodifier. I don't think the FG database supports this for these type of fields.

Use similar code to the 3.5e example code to have 2 separate values combatvalues.dcv.bonus and combatvalues.dcv.bonusmodifier. Use:

<number_cv name="dcv" source="combatvalues.dcv.bonus">
<anchored>
<to>cvtitle</to>
<position>insidetopleft</position>
<offset>105,20</offset>
</anchored>
<target>dcv</target>
<modifierfield>combatvalues.dcv.bonusmodifier</modifierfield>
<description>
<text>DCV</text>
</description>
</number_cv>

Blackfoot
August 21st, 2014, 06:29
Thanks. That did it. I went the other way and changed them to combatvalues.dcvmod and kept combatvalues.dcv since it was incorporated all over the place in the mechanics and the mods really only come up in a couple of places. It seems to have worked just fine. Thanks again!

Dayson
August 24th, 2014, 18:06
I would really love it if this rule set was downloadable. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2014, 19:48
What version of Champions is this for?

A big set of Champions and Hero System 5th Revised Edition PDFs available for a short time on Bundle of Holding: https://bundleofholding.com/index/preview

If you're not using the same version, sorry for the slightly unrelated spam!

Blackfoot
September 2nd, 2014, 20:33
That is in fact exactly the version that I am using as the model for the ruleset.

Nurgelrot
September 3rd, 2014, 23:36
I'm very glad that you're doing this work with the 5th Revised version. While I like the work the DOJ guys have been doing with the Hero System Rules, I think they sorta lost their way with 6th edition. Plus me and my group are old so we like the older rules, took some convincing to move to 5th haha.

chillybilly
September 14th, 2014, 13:43
When will this be available?

Blackfoot
September 14th, 2014, 20:02
Good question.. I wish that Blackfoot guy would hurry up and finish it... and what's he going to do with it when he's done anyway?

chillybilly
September 14th, 2014, 20:07
I only ask because I have players interested but I don't know what to tell them.

Don't mistake this post for a "hurry up and finish it" post. I'm just trying not to string my players along.

Blackfoot
September 14th, 2014, 20:10
Well, sarcasm aside, my answer would be that it is unlikely to be released before the end of the year... hopefully that helps.

I need to do something about figuring out what's involved in actually releasing it at some point... talking to HERO or whatever. Since this is not the current version of HERO System (the ruleset is 5e not 6e) ... they may not be as eager to get behind it being released.

chillybilly
September 14th, 2014, 20:30
Thanks for the replies! I'll let my players know that it's further on the horizon. Knowing that helps a lot.

damned
September 15th, 2014, 03:27
...figuring out what's involved in actually releasing it at some point... talking to HERO or whatever. Since this is not the current version of HERO System (the ruleset is 5e not 6e) ... they may not be as eager to get behind it being released.

damn edition creep!

Blackfoot
September 15th, 2014, 03:54
damn edition creep!
???

damned
September 15th, 2014, 04:32
some of our favourte games have so many different editions.
you spend hundreds of hours building a ruleset and then they release a new edition and halve your audience.

eg Champions - 6 editions
Call of Cthulhu - 7 editions

Blackfoot
September 15th, 2014, 05:04
Well.. I never intended to produce this for the 6th Edition audience. I'm not a fan.

damned
September 15th, 2014, 06:24
Well.. I never intended to produce this for the 6th Edition audience. I'm not a fan.

Completely understood. I think with most game systems they leave some of their fans behind when they release new editions. DnD is probably the most extreme example of this. On the opposite end of the spectrum Castles&Crusades are currently on 5th Edition but you can use any combination of editions in the same game as the changes are very minor.

Once you have finished Champions you will have one person who loves it and the next person only wants 6th edition. It often feels like publishers are bereft of serious new ideas and so try to re-hash an existing product to get more sales out of the current user base... :(

DrakosDJ
September 16th, 2014, 04:34
I'm in the "Wants It" category. I do not care for the changes in 6th Edition. Like Castles & Crusaders, the changes between Champions 1st ed through 5th ed were minor enough to intermix them, with the exception of the Fusion fusion that is. With 6th they changed stuff, core mechanics, that did not need changed, and they were not good changes.

Fifth will remain my favorite version.

RevenantBob
September 22nd, 2014, 16:27
Is this out for play?

damned
September 22nd, 2014, 16:53
Is this out for play?

if you read back one page:
it is unlikely to be released before the end of the year so no....

DrakosDJ
October 21st, 2014, 05:36
Soooo. is there any update on the progress of this ruleset?

Blackfoot
October 21st, 2014, 05:38
Soooo. is there any update on the progress of this ruleset?I don't know about you.. but I spent the last month prepping to run 3 games at FG Con. So.. that'd be a 'no'.

DrakosDJ
October 22nd, 2014, 05:12
Cool, just checking. :)

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 07:11
I've been a little frustrated at times dealing with updates to FG and the repairs that are sometimes required afterward .. but I have to say this time ..
WOO WOO!! I know why I'm using CoreRPG as the basis for this ruleset!
My issue with turn updates when deleting characters from the combat tracker just disappeared with the latest CoreRPG rev! The turn sequence is running smoothly now!

Thanks Moon Wizard!

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 07:21
Anyone know if there's a way to restrict a value to be within a certain range of numbers?
Certain attributes/stats/characteristics cannot go below or above a given value...

Moon Wizard
December 5th, 2014, 16:38
Check out the min/max tags for numbercontrols.

JPG

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 18:39
Thanks!
That worked like a charm.

Blackfoot
January 19th, 2015, 05:49
I'm considering running another Playtest of the ruleset at some point.
I'm free weekdays and Tuesday nights.
Anyone interested?

DrakosDJ
January 19th, 2015, 05:59
I would be interested. I'm available most weekends except every other Sunday.

Blackfoot
January 19th, 2015, 06:24
I'm free weekdays and Tuesday nights....

Kevlyn
January 19th, 2015, 08:16
I would be interested

OTG_Wraith
January 19th, 2015, 16:31
Always interested.

Dakadin
January 19th, 2015, 22:45
My weekdays are going to be busy for the next 5 weeks. I have this Monday free and Fridays should be fine so I likely won't be able to make it.

Erkenfresh
January 25th, 2015, 05:58
Hey Blackfoot, I recently heard about Fantasy Grounds and I'm looking to run a Champions game very soon. I was just curious if you had a time frame you were expecting to release this ruleset to the public. I'd take something that wasn't full featured. I realize that Hero is very challenging thanks to the crazy combinations of how powers work together sometimes and that it might take a while to get perfect. Anyhow, great work on this! Perhaps I will grab a Lite license so I can join one of your playtests sometime. Tuesday nights (EST timezone) work pretty well for me.

Blackfoot
February 15th, 2015, 02:17
Just so that interested parties are aware... I'm looking at running another playtest for FGCon VI... I'll run 2 if there is enough interest.

Erkenfresh
February 15th, 2015, 02:42
I'm in, just PM me a time and I'll let you know if I can make it.

Blackfoot
February 15th, 2015, 02:45
When it comes around, you'll have to sign up on the FGCon website like everyone else... there will be announcements well in advance.. the Con runs the weekend of April 18th... I'm not sure when this game will be scheduled yet.. there will likely be one on Sunday night.. and perhaps one another time if there is enough interest.

Dayson
February 15th, 2015, 12:44
As always Blackfoot, count me in please.

Blackfoot
April 19th, 2015, 20:59
When it comes around, you'll have to sign up on the FGCon website like everyone else... there will be announcements well in advance.. the Con runs the weekend of April 18th... I'm not sure when this game will be scheduled yet.. there will likely be one on Sunday night.. and perhaps one another time if there is enough interest.We've had a last minute cancellation for this game so there is a slot available if anyone is interested.
You can sign up here (https://www.fg-con.com/events/champions-playtest/).

Valarian
April 21st, 2015, 08:50
Will this be an official ruleset, or community? Also, is it ready? I just succumbed to temptation (again) and bought the Champions/Hero Bundle of Holding. I gave my old Champions book away a number of years ago. Will be nice to see how the system has changed in the intervening years.

"I can resist everything but temptation" ~ Oscar Wilde

DrakosDJ
April 22nd, 2015, 05:25
If I'm not mistaken, the Hero Bundle of Holding is for the 6th edition of the Hero system. If so, you should know that this ruleset was being developed for the 5th edition of the Hero system.

damned
April 22nd, 2015, 05:32
Both Hero's and Champions are 5th Edition in the BoH.
They also have the Gumshoe bundle running right now too.

DrakosDJ
April 23rd, 2015, 05:08
Ok, thank you for the clarification. I didn't even think that yhey were selling 5th ed material any more.

Blackfoot
April 24th, 2015, 21:42
The playtest at FG Con VI went well and I have a new list of things to work on, some of which are already resolved. I want to thank those who participated.

If anyone is interested in following progress on the ruleset, join the Champions/HERO Group (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3). Dayson is the administrator on the group if you have any issues. I post discussions about playtests, updates, screenshots, and progress there.

Dayson
April 24th, 2015, 23:48
I will be happy to add anyone who is interested. Again, thanks to Blackfoot for all his hard work on the ruleset. I am really looking forward to its release.

Judgement
April 27th, 2015, 04:10
You're game sounds very nice, I am not sure how I can help but if you come up with anything let me know?

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 08:25
I'm getting a weird issue with the combat tracker... (I've had this for a while now.. since the tracker targeting was brought back after the big token targeting change ..) for some reason my targeting summary is not sticking to the right place. It works fine when the other subwindows are closed... but when they are open it doesn't open it's own spacing line below them, it just sticks to the bottom line of whatever subwindow is there. Like this:

ianmward
April 28th, 2015, 09:06
I just checked my Shadowrun tracker and it's ok. I don't see the same problem.

I'm getting a weird issue with the combat tracker... (I've had this for a while now.. since the tracker targeting was brought back after the big token targeting change ..) for some reason my targeting summary is not sticking to the right place. It works fine when the other subwindows are closed... but when they are open it doesn't open it's own spacing line below them, it just sticks to the bottom line of whatever subwindow is there. Like this:

damned
April 28th, 2015, 09:06
i have something similar happening in MoreCore... I couldnt suss it out. Ive since moved on :)

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 09:09
I'm sure it's got to be something I did when I tweaked in the changes.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 18:17
I'm getting a weird issue with the combat tracker... (I've had this for a while now.. since the tracker targeting was brought back after the big token targeting change ..) for some reason my targeting summary is not sticking to the right place. It works fine when the other subwindows are closed... but when they are open it doesn't open it's own spacing line below them, it just sticks to the bottom line of whatever subwindow is there.
Check what control/window the targeting subwindow is being anchored to, and if the anchoring is relative (or not).

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 18:21
In CoreRPG the "sub_targeting" subwindow uses relative anchoring:

<subwindow name="sub_targeting">
<anchored>
<top parent="name" anchor="bottom" relation="relative" offset="10" />
<left parent="targetingicon" anchor="right" offset="8" />
<right offset="-12" />
</anchored>
<class>ct_targets</class>
</subwindow>

This means that it will be anchored to other subwindows that also use relative anchoring to the same parent. See "relative" in the "Anchoring" section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/windowing.xcp

This functionality allows for cascading/stacked anchoring as controls/subwindows appear/disappear and is fundamental in allowing the correct display of the subwindows within the combat tracker.

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 18:39
This one screws up...
<subwindow name="sub_targeting">
<anchored>
<left parent="targetingicon" anchor="right" offset="8" />
<right offset="-12" />
</anchored>
<class>ct_targets</class>
</subwindow>
This one works right though...
<windowlist name="effects">
<anchored>
<left parent="effecticon" anchor="right" offset="8" />
<right offset="-12" />
</anchored>
<datasource>.effects</datasource>
<class>ct_effect</class>
<noscroll />
<script file="ct/scripts/ct_effectlist.lua" />
</windowlist>The thing is that it only screws up when the targeting window is hidden and the summary is displayed.

<string_ctentry_targets name="target_summary" />
<string_ctentry_effects name="effect_summary" />These are the lines for the summaries... one works fine.. the other doesn't.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 18:49
Looks like you need to work through all of your subwindows and summary controls - referencing the templates used as these have relative anchoring built into them. I'm guessing that somewhere there is a control that doesn't use relative anchoring and so that screws up the subsequent anchors that rely on previous relative anchoring.

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 18:49
The template for string_ctentry_targets is coming from CoreRPG ... so I'm not really messing with that here. It handles the visibility and building the list.. but I don't see anything there that's working the positioning. I wonder if I have that line in the wrong place in the code somehow.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 18:53
See my post above.

Also make sure that the code isn't disabling/making invisible a control that is used for relative anchoring. There is a lot of code that toggles the visibility of each section of the entry in the combat tracker. If a control isn't being set invisible or vice versa, then this will screw up the relative anchoring.

See the "SECTION VISIBILITY FUNCTIONS" in ct\scripts\ct_entry.lua

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 19:04
Hmm.. now that actually makes some sense.
The targeting function comes first.. so a 'visible' but blank control might be above the effects but below the targeting so targeting might be sticking to it... or something.

I checked all the relations in ct_host.. they are all set to relative.

OK, I think I might be on to something now... the effects target summary and the target summary had the same name. I renamed the effect target summary but that had no effect. Hrm.

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 19:14
Interestingly, this issue is ONLY occurring with the effects window... all the others work correctly. I'm thinking that means something.
This example displays all the subwindows (except the effects and targeting ones) open and both the summaries are displaying correctly.
It only seems to be an issue when the effects subwindow is open... and when it is open.. the green + is covered by the targeting summary so you cannot add effects if targeting is active but the targeting subwindow is closed.

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 19:33
Could it be that the effects window is a windowlist and the targeting is a subwindow? I'm trying switching it to a subwindow... hopefully that will resolve it... ouch.. ok it didn't like that at all.

Blackfoot
April 28th, 2015, 19:43
Hrm. Looking through the newer code for CoreRPG... there seem to be big changes in here again. I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Blackfoot
April 30th, 2015, 19:27
AH... ok found it... sorry. Ignore please.

chillybilly
May 5th, 2015, 19:50
Is there a projected date on when this ruleset might be made available to the public? My players keep asking about trying a superhero RPG.

Blackfoot
May 7th, 2015, 16:43
I do not have a projected date at this time.
You could take a look at the Mutants and Masterminds Ruleset if you are looking for something in the genre that is currently available in the Smiteworks Store.

chillybilly
May 7th, 2015, 20:25
I do not have a projected date at this time.
You could take a look at the Mutants and Masterminds Ruleset if you are looking for something in the genre that is currently available in the Smiteworks Store.

No problem. My players and I are willing to wait. I was just hoping to get an estimated time frame for the development.

Blackfoot
May 8th, 2015, 16:54
Hrm. My module settings seem to be disappearing after I quit FG. I'm wondering if this is something I did or if it's a problem new bug from Core.. I don't think I was messing with anything that would have tweaked this. I haven't really seen this behavior in PF though.
It removes the module accessibility flag and sometimes leaves the modules open even when they appear closed in the Open Modules window... the only thing is this doesn't seem to happen 'all the time' so I'm guessing there is a sequence of events that causes it to happen. I'll keep testing.

Blackfoot
May 8th, 2015, 17:26
Ah.. ok.. the flags are getting dumped when I /reload and then when I quit out entirely the modules are closed when I reopen. I'm guessing this is the issue he's addressing in 3.1.0 ...

[DEV] Module links being treated as unloaded after using /reload command. Fixed.

Blackfoot
May 22nd, 2015, 05:31
For those of you who have been following this thread but not the Champions/HERO group..
The Ruleset is moving forward with more features and fixes. I resolved several cool things this past week. I'm starting a game with one of my regular PF groups (playing not GMing) so I'm hoping to get more fuel for fixes and additions from there.

Blackfoot
June 4th, 2015, 17:43
I added a bunch of new screenshots in the HERO Group.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10126
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10119
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10124
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10123
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10122
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10121
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10120
Enjoy!

DrakosDJ
June 5th, 2015, 05:21
Nice progress so far.

Blackfoot
June 5th, 2015, 17:42
I want to take a moment to thank all the folks here on the boards who have been so helpful with answers to stupid questions as I pull together this ruleset. In particular, Dakadin, Trenloe, Moon Wizard, and Dulux-oz who have all given me really valuable information when I was at the point of pulling what's left of my hair out. These guys don't get nearly enough appreciation.

Blackfoot
June 22nd, 2015, 16:14
Added a new Desktop Image to the group:https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10307

Blackfoot
June 22nd, 2015, 23:23
Obviously there are many ways to represent information and statistics when it comes to gaming.. I've found in the past that things that seemed obvious were counter intuitive to others. One person wants to put in the points spent to get the value... another person wants to put in the value to get the points. Anyway... recording damage is one of these things.
For HERO ... these are things everyone probably agrees on:
Total STUN, BODY, and ENDURANCE values need to be represented somehow.
We need to represent BODY DAMAGE, STUN DAMAGE, and ENDURANCE USED in some way.
After that.. it gets a little shakier...
Do we represent Damage as:
BODY/STUN/ENDURANCE Damage Taken
OR
BODY/STUN/ENDURANCE Remaining
Do we represent damage as positive or negative?
So far I've built the ruleset around the principal that 'damage' is a negative value... so when you look at the tracker values shown are the damage we've taken and negative to represent that it is lowering the value of our characteristics.
I felt this was better than positive damage taken values as they seemed to imply additional characteristics rather than a reduction.

It was suggested to me today that it would be better to handle this as the sum .. the remaining value .. rather than having everyone do the math all the time. Obviously there is a time to do the 'up' math as well... when healing/recovering/what have you... but this is a less common occurrence than the other.

What do folks think: Which way is better?
Obviously all this applies to this ruleset.. but it could apply to any and every other ruleset as well. The 'norm' is to represent damage as 'damage'... but would it be better to represent it as 'health remaining'
STUN: 50-15
OR
STUN: 35/50

Or would some other way be better?

DrakosDJ
June 23rd, 2015, 05:36
I would say that displaying the amount remaining is the way to go.

Lectryk
June 28th, 2015, 18:41
I've applied to the group, just posting here as well. Long time Champions player. I've just started to see what the FG app is like, and I'd love to see this version.

Blackfoot
June 28th, 2015, 23:11
Some new screenshots for the revised Combat Tracker:https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10381
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10380

wbcreighton
July 1st, 2015, 20:11
Haven't been on FG forums in a few months. This is looking awesome. Can't wait to get to a point in our PF campaign where we can switch over and test this ruleset out. I guess I better get those Champions scenarios set up.
:)

Blackfoot
July 7th, 2015, 05:24
I posted this up to the Group 'Ideas' thread but nobody jumped in so I'm hoping for a bit more luck here.

The next 'big' idea is to clear up the Actions Tab. Right now it is built based on the 3.5 setup.. with Weapons at the top and 'Spell Classes' below. This is a workable method but really something of a kluge as it doesn't exactly fit with the game system. What I need to work out now is what IS a good system for doing it and then how to implement it... while keeping as many updateable features from CoreRPG as possible. I 'think' for the most part that all this code is all isolated from CoreRPG... so currently things like the changes to how damage dice are handled in 3.5/PF did not pass on to this ruleset. We have a lot of our own damage features now that are not available to other rulesets... which is cool.

Here is the issue:
Spell classes are set up with levels and spells for each level can have 3 different types of tracking. Memorized (x number for each spell per rest), Spontaneous (x number for each level of spells per rest), Pool (x amount of points to spend on spells costing various amounts of energy). The last is the closest match to Endurance and so I piggy backed into that our endurance functions. I then set up a 4th type that basically emulates the 3rd but instead of using the characters Endurance for points it uses a separate number for an Endurance Reserve. This part is all well and good.

The thing is that it all feels muddled since the code is really still mostly the 3.5 setup and 'levels' don't really exist in our game. So obviously I need to pull out the levels but some of that functionality is interesting and I'm wondering how much of it to keep.
Here are some of the issues and factors I came up with:
Since ALL powers cannot be handled as weapons others have certain basic needs: Some Powers have Charges - Uses per Day
Some Powers are only Effects
Some Powers have an END Cost
Some Powers have an Endurance AND Charges
ID Each Line as to which type it is rather than grouping them by END cost?
Allow for multiple Power Groups? END Reserve vs Normal END?
If the Power has an END value then show it, otherwise treat it as a 'Level 0' Power.
If the Power has Charges then show the Charges.
How should I group them or should I group them at all?

I considered setting up Endurance as a 'Fixed' Spell Class (need a new name for this.. Power Class?) but we do still need the option of Endurance Reserves or multiple Endurance Reserves...

Blackfoot
July 23rd, 2015, 16:28
I have reached a generally stable position with the ruleset and it's looking really good so I have put development on hold for the moment until I can get a bit of playtesting done on what I have currently.

Blackfoot
July 30th, 2015, 02:18
I'll doing a test run of the ruleset during the next 'FGDaze' Event on Saturday August 15th at 9am Eastern Time.
POST to the Game Discussion Thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25305-FGDaze-Champions-Slugfest!) if you'd like to participate and sign up on the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1535).

August 14th, 2015, 16:03
Since the sign up for FCDaze was basically a bust, what are your plans for next testing? And sorry I had plans for the weekend. I really want to see this rule-set reach the light of day.

Blackfoot
August 14th, 2015, 23:54
The ruleset is looking really good at the moment. I do have some testing planned with my regular Thursday group but I don't plan on doing any public testing until the next FGDaze or FG Con 7... hopefully folks will actually sign up next time... Updates to the ruleset are posted here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=7&do=discuss).. anyone is welcome to join the group and subscribe to the thread... comments and suggestions are most definitely welcome.

RJReed67
August 15th, 2015, 15:54
I am really looking forward to your release of this ruleset. I have a couple of friends that are scattered across the country that I would love to get back together with and play some Champions.

Nullcron
August 19th, 2015, 16:42
You work looks great so far. Let me know how I can help you.

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2015, 16:47
The best thing you can do to help at the moment is join the Champions/HERO Group, subscribe, and respond to the discussion threads there when I'm asking for suggestions and direction regarding the implementation of various sorts of things. I'm pretty much doing all my posting there regarding ruleset progress.

Blackfoot
September 2nd, 2015, 09:09
I am thinking about starting a Champions/HERO game running every other Sunday night (Eastern time). Characters would be non-powered to start... skilled normals essentially.

Dayson
September 2nd, 2015, 22:25
I am interested in playing.

Blackfoot
September 23rd, 2015, 06:09
I listed a Champions Game for FGCon 7... the time slot will be 8 to 11 pm Eastern Time on Sunday Night.
The event has not yet been approved but be looking for it if you are interested.

Dayson
September 26th, 2015, 17:31
I am thinking about starting a Champions/HERO game running every other Sunday night (Eastern time). Characters would be non-powered to start... skilled normals essentially.
A wide pool of players will help get this rule-set tested and available sooner for use.

Lectryk
October 5th, 2015, 20:23
I listed a Champions Game for FGCon 7... the time slot will be 8 to 11 pm Eastern Time on Sunday Night.
The event has not yet been approved but be looking for it if you are interested.

The game is full, would you allow observers to see how the ruleset works out with multiple players?

Lectryk
October 5th, 2015, 20:27

I would be interested.

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2015, 21:56
The FG Con VII game went pretty well. We hit on a few issues, some of which are already fixed. I'd appreciate everyone who played in the game sending me some notes on what issues they ran into while playing... and ideas for ways to improve things.

wbcreighton
November 19th, 2015, 22:48
Tonight we are taking a hiatus from our 4 or 5 year long Pathfinder game to enter the world of Champions. Set in Millenium City this band of 6 superheroes will embark on a campaign against a serious threat against the security of the city.

Looking forward to getting back into Champions. One of my all time favourite rpgs ( along with Runequest and The Fantasy Trip ). Not sure how easy it will be to remember the rules after many years of PF indoctrination.

I was happy to discover that my copy of HD ver 3 still works and that the old HD character packs for 5th ed are still for sale on rpgnow.com ( $3.50 for over 100 bad guys ). With the HD to FG character converter, no manual input for this GM.

Blackfoot gets to try his ruleset as a Player.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Blackfoot
November 19th, 2015, 23:13
It's like riding a bike.

Blackfoot
January 22nd, 2016, 17:54
FIXED - Character Names not displaying properly in Character Selection Window
FIXED - Languages do not display correctly in the Party Sheet.
FIXED - GMOnly value incorrect - Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:505: bad argument #4 to 'setValue' (number expected, got boolean)
FIXED - Not displaying Effect when Mental Attacks were applied
FIXED - The Chat Entry Box was not displaying in the correct position in the Champions 'Theme'
ADDED - Toggle for 'Recovering' - this will set the character to HalfDCV and is removed if Damaged before the end of the segment, 'Recovering' Effect is then added until the character's next Phase.

Blackfoot
January 22nd, 2016, 17:59
Changed Release structure so that it uses actual decimals instead of artificial numbers (this displays better in FG)
ADDED - Behind to list of Effects
ADDED - Option to eliminate NPC Recoveries (and recoveries in general) when they are below a certain total.
ADDED - Recoveries do NOT occur on Post 12 if STUN is below -20
FIXED - Abort SHOULD remove 'Recovering' Effect.
FIXED - Names STILL not displaying in IMPORT CHARACTERS
FIXED - The hotkey boxes get an extra separator when you spread them across two screens
FIXED - Adjust Default BODY and STUN Current Values to match MAX values
FIXED - If more than one Character is ON HOLD then advancing the tracker on Phase 12 starts an infinite loop.
FIXED - On Phase 12 ONLY - Characters who are ON HOLD do not advance to the correct Next Actor

DrakosDJ
January 23rd, 2016, 03:29
Looks as if it is coming along. Glad to see it.

damned
January 27th, 2016, 03:22
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ChampionsFifth
and
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/UltimateChampions

DrakosDJ
January 27th, 2016, 04:47
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ChampionsFifth
and
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/UltimateChampions

Nice, too bad I already have all those. I was a very avid fan of the Hero System.

ianmward
January 27th, 2016, 06:40
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ChampionsFifth and https://bundleofholding.com/presents/UltimateChampions

Arghh ya got me again...

damned
January 27th, 2016, 11:27
Arghh ya got me again...

I didnt send it to you! You have other things to do!

wbcreighton
January 29th, 2016, 21:00
It really is coming along. I think I have run 6 sessions with the ruleset, and it is getting more and more streamlined The improvements that BF has made to the Combat tracker have made handling PCs on Hold, Recovering, etc quite easy. Using FG simplifies keeping track of combat as it should. This last session I didn't have anything that I could suggest, that needs work. Must be a good sign.

Been spending time trying to refresh my brain with Champions rules after having a fairly long break playing PF.

It did take a little bit to get used to the idea that the PC who was active is at the top of the tracker. I think it was an elegant solution to the problem of having PCs that get to act a different number of times per turn. Just takes a while to adjust from how other games work.

I still have Hero Designer 3.0, so I bought some of HD packs from Drivethrurpg.com ( Conquerors, Killers and Crooks for example ) and used the handy conversion tool to make modules to import NPCs into the game. That is quite handy too. To be able to still get those Hero 5th HD packs is going to make things less time consuming.

damned
January 29th, 2016, 22:39
It really is coming along. I think I have run 6 sessions with the ruleset, and it is getting more and more streamlined The improvements that BF has made to the Combat tracker have made handling PCs on Hold, Recovering, etc quite easy. Using FG simplifies keeping track of combat as it should. This last session I didn't have anything that I could suggest, that needs work. Must be a good sign.

Been spending time trying to refresh my brain with Champions rules after having a fairly long break playing PF.

It did take a little bit to get used to the idea that the PC who was active is at the top of the tracker. I think it was an elegant solution to the problem of having PCs that get to act a different number of times per turn. Just takes a while to adjust from how other games work.

I still have Hero Designer 3.0, so I bought some of HD packs from Drivethrurpg.com ( Conquerors, Killers and Crooks for example ) and used the handy conversion tool to make modules to import NPCs into the game. That is quite handy too. To be able to still get those Hero 5th HD packs is going to make things less time consuming.

Thats great new wbcreighton.
This will be Blackfoots Odyssey! Keep up the good work.

Blackfoot
February 2nd, 2016, 06:06
FIXED - Convert ALL NPC additional Damage Info (Special/Type/Property) to lower case
FIXED - Heal OTHER Error, Heal OTHER now ignores targeting.
FIXED - RKA <weapon name> +<OCV> (<#dice>d6) now assigns a ranged killing attack in NPCs (was creating a melee attack previously)
FIXED - Mental powers were not working in NPCs
ADDED - "no strength" property allows melee attacks to NOT include strength damage
FIXED - Some properties were not working when multiple properties existed on a given weapon or attack.
ADDED - Endurance Bar to Party Sheet Main Tab
FIXED - Error in sorting Explosion Dice when more than 9 dice were rolled
ADDED - Add Senses to Party Sheet Group Rolls
FIXED - Reworked Property (Attack Advantage/Limitation) Functions for better overall handling and to resolve several errors
ADDED - Drains, Mental Attacks and Entangles now check damage types before applying effects.

damned
February 2nd, 2016, 06:44
surely you must feel like you are more like version 0.6.8 by now ;)

Blackfoot
February 2nd, 2016, 06:47
Nah. I was numbering them 0.0.x but the actual release numbers only take 'real' decimals... so this is actually 0.11 ... 0.09 would come out as 0 .. so I went from 0.0.7 to 0.1.0.. I didn't have any 'releases' for a long time. Now that we are running regular testing every week.. the releases are a lot more frequent.

ianmward
February 2nd, 2016, 07:13
Nah. I was numbering them 0.0.x but the actual release numbers only take 'real' decimals... so this is actually 0.11 ... 0.09 would come out as 0 .. so I went from 0.0.7 to 0.1.0.. I didn't have any 'releases' for a long time. Now that we are running regular testing every week.. the releases are a lot more frequent.

And do we have to wait for it to get to v1.0 before we can play with it?
Having bought 3 different BoH packs of books and now looking at the Aaron Allston's Strike Force kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000633882/aaron-allstons-strike-force), I feel I need to start joining in the fun... ;-)

Blackfoot
February 2nd, 2016, 07:15
I've run several playtest games at the last few FGCons.. that's probably the best way to get to play with it at this point.. otherwise it's wait for 1.0 :)

Nylanfs
February 2nd, 2016, 12:08
We use even numbers for production and odd numbers for alpha and beta builds. And significant advances or breaks with past code the first digit. ie 5.09.04 vs 6.06.00

i3ullseye
February 7th, 2016, 18:11
Eagerly awaiting......

Blackfoot
February 11th, 2016, 18:44
A few useful things in this one but nothing too huge.
FIXED - Hold, Abort, and Recovering toggles now display on their own line when the CT Attacks window is closed.
FIXED - Strength adds no more than the base amount of damage to an Advantaged Attack. (AP, NND, AVLD, AD...)
ADDED - Default DEF for NPC entangles is now the same as the number of dice. For zero the def value should be 0
ADDED - Made Advance Turn Button draggable.
ADDED - Action Status removal button for the GM Combat Tracker.
ADDED - When 'Base' is selected as the adjustment type, added a String Field to hold the name of what power is adjusted. Requires 2 fields for Transfers. Added onto the bottom of the weapon data.
ADDED - Automatic Knockback Rolling - this feature is incomplete but functional.
ADDED - Knockback Resistance to PCs, NPCs, and functional Effects.

EDIT: I'm going to hold off on this release until next week.. so there might be a couple more things by then.

wbcreighton
February 12th, 2016, 04:49
Very nice.

Sorry I couldn't run tonight. :-(

Blackfoot
February 25th, 2016, 19:18
FIXED - Sense values were not necessarily matching with the sense selected on startup.
FIXED - Error when handling some NPC attacks with no type defined.
FIXED - Error when Speed is not between 1 and 12.
ADDED - Basic KB for NPC damage rolls.
ADDED - Check for 'does knockback' or 'does kb' properties. Allows knockback where it would not normally be appropriate.
ADDED - Added checks to insure that Speed is between the values of 1 and 12 inclusive.

Blackfoot
March 16th, 2016, 19:14
It's amazing how the more stuff I fix/add to this thing the more issues I find. I have several kinda majorish changes that I'd like to make, some of which are perhaps a bit beyond me... others are just complex and require a lot of planning to figure out how it all comes together. Overall.. the ruleset looks pretty good though. I currently need to resolve an issue with the NPC spells tab that's kinda kicking my tail.

Blackfoot
May 26th, 2016, 15:22
I haven't posted any of the updates here for a while so I figured I'd do a catch-up post. Most of the day-to-day update info is being posted to the HERO/Champions Group (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3).Release v0.1.6
FIXED - Removed 'CAST' text from attack powers in spell classes
FIXED - Text for Charges Changed.
FIXED - Text for Powers List now changes with Caster Type
FIXED - Double END on NPC Spells Tab & Counters were not working properly.
FIXED - NPC 'Spells' Tab had several errors
FIXED - NPC End Reserve was displaying wrong text
FIXED - NPC END Reserve Recovery was not displaying properly
FIXED - Active Status was not becoming visible when the Values were changed.
ADDED - IMMUNE: knockback now works
ADDED - Replaced CoreRPG Sidebar Window Titles
ADDED - Changed NPC Spells Tab to Actions Tab
ADDED - Delete and Backspace now 'Clear' damage and reset the values for STUN or BODY to full.Release v0.1.5
FIXED - Minimum and Fixed damage attacks for NPCs are not working properly
FIXED - Strength dice being displayed for Damage other than Normal and Killing.
ADDED - Added Transform as a Special Damage TypeRelease v0.1.4
FIXED - [EFFECTS] message was being displayed constantly for KB.
FIXED - .5 die attacks now working properly for NPCs.
FIXED - HtH killing damage was adding extra +1 to all rolls
FIXED - Several issues relating to Strength Damage and Killing Attacks
ADDED - Changed Text on Spell Class to say something more relevant
ADDED - 'martial' property for NPC attacks to allow for proper KB dice rolling. (it adds the extra die)

DrakosDJ
May 27th, 2016, 04:23
Nice! It looks like you have been busy.

Blackfoot
June 17th, 2016, 02:02
ADDED - Announcement Messages when Action Status changes.
ADDED - Auto Recover every phase if 0 to -10
FIXED - Endurance Reserves automatically recover on Post 12.
ADDED - Cost tables are now being displayed in Disadvantages
ADDED - Rest Heroes on Combat Tracker
ADDED - New Graphics for Tabs and Tab Icons
ADDED - Replaced storybox graphics with charsheet graphics

sevrick
July 20th, 2016, 14:49
Ok this might be stupid question but where is the download link for this?

Blackfoot
July 20th, 2016, 16:12
There is no download for this, currently I'm in discussions with Smiteworks and HERO Games with regards to putting this out as a commercial product.

Honken
July 23rd, 2016, 15:15
Coool, the more commercial rulesets the better. :) I hope the talks lead to something good!

/H

Michael Hopcroft
August 19th, 2016, 03:46
There is no download for this, currently I'm in discussions with Smiteworks and HERO Games with regards to putting this out as a commercial product.

It would be nice to have a direct link to Hero Designer, but given that the latter is a Java application and hasn't really been updated in a while that may not be practical technically or financially.

Although you never know.

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2016, 11:26
It would be nice to have a direct link to Hero Designer, but given that the latter is a Java application and hasn't really been updated in a while that may not be practical technically or financially.

Although you never know.
We do have a way (thanks to Dakadin) to convert HD characters to FG... both as PCs and as NPCs.

Dayson
August 19th, 2016, 12:37
I am looking forward to this. Thank you Blackfoot and Dakadin for the massive effort put forth in bringing these to us.

October 19th, 2016, 20:07
Is there any news to be shared...? Winter is coming and my yearly Fantasy Hero frozen game nights are starting to shape up. I'd love to actually use this ruleset instead of just winging it. So I thought I'd make some noise letting Hero Games and Smiteworks that some people would love to fork over their cash for this...

Blackfoot
October 19th, 2016, 20:15
That's good to hear. Currently the ruleset development is paused currently pending the release of FG v3.2. Too many big changes there to continue in the meantime.

wbcreighton
October 19th, 2016, 20:45
Is there any news to be shared...? Winter is coming and my yearly Fantasy Hero frozen game nights are starting to shape up. I'd love to actually use this ruleset instead of just winging it. So I thought I'd make some noise letting Hero Games and Smiteworks that some people would love to fork over their cash for this...

We did some fairly extensive play testing during the spring and summer, but we switched back to a PF campaign.
The ruleset was very impressive. I think it got to the point that we were doing sessions and not really having any notes for fixes.

Warren

Blackfoot
November 4th, 2016, 20:51
OK... well.. somehow all the discussion threads in the Champions/HERO Group disappeared.. but I'm working on the ruleset again now that 3.2 is out.

Morgdane
December 5th, 2016, 04:05
Out of curiosity, any idea on a timeline with this project yet? Or any news on whether Hero Games is on board with it? Seriously, if this happens, it's gonna make a lot of online gamers happy

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2016, 04:53
The ruleset itself is completely playable currently. There are a few issues that have come up since 3.2 that need to be resolved... and there always seem to be more features I'd like to add.

i3ullseye
December 5th, 2016, 13:24
Any word on your licensing status? Are they pushing perhaps for a conversion to 6th Edition rather than 5th?

Nylanfs
December 5th, 2016, 17:22
Welcome to the forums and FG community Morgdane!

bawsr
December 13th, 2016, 15:55
I am running two campaigns of 5e and would love to run a game of Champions.. *I know you hear this all the time* but is it looking like early 2017 or still tied up with lawyers and negotiations?

Blackfoot
December 13th, 2016, 16:22
I don't know anything about lawyers or negotiations... but I kinda doubt we'll see early 2017.

pmbruner
March 15th, 2017, 15:35
I am excited to see this in development. I would like to add my voice to the clamor for a release. I would gladly pay for a commercial product. I am also willing to assist with testing. I am a retired disabled veteran and have lots of time on my hands. I have been playing RPGs since 1977 and Hero/Champions since 1982. My degree is in computer science so I also have lots of experience with program development and testing. Regards Phelix (aka Starwolf)

Nylanfs
March 15th, 2017, 16:44
Welcome to the forums and FG community!

Blackfoot
June 11th, 2017, 02:35
OK. I got a bit side tracked by my frustration over release 3.2 of FG... but I'm back to working on the ruleset. I'll be running a playtest session next weekend sometime.. still working out when exactly.

June 11th, 2017, 04:07
I wonder how far the upcoming Unity release will set you back... I'm really looking forward to the this. I've wanted Hero System in FG for years... So when you are frustrated so are we :)

Blackfoot
September 30th, 2017, 16:31
I will be running a Champions game at the upcoming FG Con using the ruleset.
I'm still working out whether I will run it on Friday or Sunday night between 9pm and 2am (Eastern Time).