PDA

View Full Version : invisible dice tower, and, something completly different

jboyd4650
December 28th, 2013, 21:46
hey, got two problems i'm wrestling with... 1) i have the dice tower operational, it's on the screen, and accepts die rolls...it's just invisible (i can mouse all around it and the pop-up tells me it's there). Any ideas on why it's not visible would be helpful.

2) Simple, where the heck are the skills (in 3.5E) that appear on the skills tab, of the character sheet?

thanks, in advance if anyone can answer either of both of these.

James

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 08:17
1) Are you using any extensions? What ruleset are you using? I'm assuming 3.5e based off your next questions, but please confirm.

2) The 3.5e skill list is stored in the 3.5e.pak ruleset files - in \scripts\data_common.lua in the skilldata section.

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 14:29
Thanks Trenloe,

yes, it is 3.5e, and that was the file I was looking for (data_common.lua).

on the first question, I am using the travellertheme.ext., due to the dice tower not showing up, i have moved the graphics to the dice tower file in the 3.5e ruleset (renamed the originals, and copied name to the old ones). I might not have been too clear with this, but the tower is there, I can mouse over it, and the little hover tag says dice tower. I can drop dice at that spot and it is hidden to the PC, but the GM gets the roll. So, everything works, i just can't see the graphics.

James

Nickademus
December 29th, 2013, 16:56
Get more ranks in Spot. :P

Moon Wizard
December 29th, 2013, 17:29
Sounds like the dice tower icon assets are not defined correctly, or the tower graphic is hidden.

The 3.5E version only displays the dice tower on the GM desktop if the dice tower option is enabled AND GM dice rolls are not hidden.

Regards,
JPG

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 17:33
these old eyes (with scratched up lenses on my glasses) probably won't get any improvement on my spot ranks :(

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 17:36
to JPG, yes, i think you're right, but not too sure where they are defined.

thanks for heads up, tho.

will, keep shifting through this. :)

James

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 19:16
ok, narrowed it down to not showing my graphics... i copied the normal, and drop frames to the coreRPG location, and set it up so that when i drop dice the old graphic is used. i can get the hover to appear, and when I hold dice over the area, the old graphic appears for the drop. Is there a definitive graphic, or format, I may not be using? Really confused on this one

Moon Wizard
December 29th, 2013, 19:57
The graphics library is supposed to support many formats. However, we have only used PNG and JPG files in our products.

What format are you using?

JPG

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 20:24
the graphics are png. they are the same dimensions as the old, but are a slightly larger file size.

i am also getting messages on my console that says it can't load certain graphics, yet, they are loaded on the desktop. I don't know if this means they can't load in one file, but do load with a later file? if that makes any sense.
still too new to this to truly know what I'm doing, but hey, it's fun trying.

James

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 20:39
Are you still using the travellertheme.ext extension? i.e. it is enabled in your campaign or not? Extensions overwrite the underlying ruleset code so I'm wondering if you are getting some conflict with the extensions and the underlying code.

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 20:43
was thinking the same...would the .ext over write the 3.5e, but the actual call is in coreRPG. and I'm not sure if there is an order to that, or something along that line.

jboyd4650
December 29th, 2013, 21:06
ok, I figured I would start from the basics...i copied the name of the graphic that worked and pasted into the graphic that didn't work. Now they work... everything was exactly the same, afaik, but it works now.

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 21:08
was thinking the same...would the .ext over write the 3.5e, but the actual call is in coreRPG. and I'm not sure if there is an order to that, or something along that line.
The order will be CoreRPG -> 3.5e -> Extension. That is 3.5e overwrites CoreRPG and any extensions will overwrite 3.5e - so the extension will overwrite anything in CoreRPG and 3.5e. Try disabling the extension and seeing if the graphics you copied to 3.5e are working OK - this will give you an idea if what you copied/edited in 3.5e is correct or not.

jboyd4650
December 31st, 2013, 15:22
ok, just to kinda close out this thread, and if anyone looks at it with the same problem...

The Travellertheme.ext has the graphics, but they are written and named differently (I figure it needs a rewrite to bring it up to date). I took the dice tower graphics and moved them to the frames file in 3.5. Still didn't work, but i had the old/original tower now. So, i found the file in the core for the dice tower (graphics_frames.xml), and copied the appropriate lines to same file in 3.5 (I also commented out the core lines).
It now works like it's supposed to.

thanks for everyone's help,
James