PDA

View Full Version : Reign of Winter AP 2.0 Reboot

kleamovich
December 24th, 2013, 16:53
Hello everyone to make a long story short, the group that I was running through this campaign with and myself decided that it would be best to restart the campaign from level one. The group is in need of one more RELIABLE player. Without a forth party member this campaign can be brutal. So the rules are slightly different then the first play through. As long as I can find a player that can be ready by the 28th and the rest of the group is ready by the 28th we will start then. I am using the 3.0 version to run this game, in with the new out with the old. Also the link to the Game Calendar can be found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1137).

Time and Date
Game will be played on Saturday's from 5:00 PM until 9:00 or 10:00 PM. However, it is likely to run longer then this.
Game time is set to EST.
This game will begin either December 28th or January 4th.

Basic Rules
Beginning at level 1.
High fantasy point buy.
Starting gold is 200 GP.

House Rules
Races not allowed: Aasimar, Drow, Fetchling, Oread, Sylph, Tiefling, Undine, Duergar, Strix, and Suli.
Classes/Archetypes not allowed: Antipaladin

lachancery
December 25th, 2013, 00:16
I'd love to join - reliably too ;) - but I can't make those times. Good luck on your second try. For my AP, I chose to have 5 players in case one can't make it or drops out. It's worked out well so far, with the downside that I've had to significantly boost encounters to keep the challenge up.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2013, 01:16
Must have at least one campaign trait.

Grrr, my builds cry out against your shackles of lame traits. Help, help, I'm being repressed!

kleamovich
December 25th, 2013, 03:16
Grrr, my builds cry out against your shackles of lame traits. Help, help, I'm being repressed!

I removed the campaign trait, looking over them doesn't really tie you into the story how I am planning the beginning this time.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2013, 03:19
lol, I was kidding. At any rate, Dimitri's witch patron thanks you.

Edit: Let me know if FG 3.0 is working for you.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2013, 03:57
The idea for my new character, in case the rest of the player were wondering:

A defensive monk with a bad attitude. Less damage output than Belagore but more survivable.

kleamovich
December 25th, 2013, 04:12
Edit: Let me know if FG 3.0 is working for you.

The only issue that I have seen so far is the party sheet, since I enjoy using that. But so far that is it.

Item distribution is a little messed up but I think I can work around that. May just be the PFRPG ruleset.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2013, 04:24
Okay, I'll update on Thursday and make my character xmls.

VenomousFiligree
December 25th, 2013, 16:48
If you weren't going past 2100 EST (0100 GMT for me), then I could play, otherwsie I'll have to pass.

JerryRig
December 25th, 2013, 22:38
We have this habit of running into late nights sometimes. It's an addiction thing I suspect.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 01:02
... how I am planning the beginning this time.

I assume from this that you are modifying the plotline now that you know how the AP runs. One question: will we still be getting the Mantle? While it's nice to know about the +2, the geas is in my opinion outright necessary to know about when building a character for this game.

JerryRig
December 26th, 2013, 02:07
Yes ....or edge it a bit lighter so we items can be crafted that support the characters being successful. Taking a week off to make an item while also researching the area and supporting locals in their endeavors to perceiver vs. the bad guys should in some way support the cause ...not like anyone is heading off into a subquest or anything. IMHO

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 02:12
I'm fine with the geas and can build around it. I was more concerned with a new player needing to be informed.

kleamovich
December 26th, 2013, 02:25
There will be a few new changes, mainly the interaction in Heldren. Also, the mantle will still be into the game - have to keep you all focused! However, with that being said I am going to change a few things with it. Along with adding more places to buy/sell (these will not effect the mantle).

Also, for the inquiry about stopping at 21:00. I could try to end about that time, but we do run a bit lengthy sometimes.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 02:30
Personally I'm fine with stopping at a certain time. I have to admit the playing until 2 am and then getting up for work at 4 am was wearing on me. It was worth it, but I'm not opposed to actually getting sleep either.

kleamovich
December 26th, 2013, 02:51
Ok, that will work then, this will give me more time to prepare - since my next semester is going to be starting on JAN 6th. MurghBpurn what kind of character are you wanting to play? I'm sure the others will want to know - me included! Also we do use voice and chat, other than that I hopefully you will join us!

I will post the server information on the Game Calendar on Friday. Hope to see you all on Saturday if you all are ready.

Trenloe
December 26th, 2013, 10:45
If you weren't going past 2100 EST (0100 GMT for me), then I could play, otherwsie I'll have to pass.
FYI - 21:00 EST is 02:00 GMT. Just in case you jump in thinking the game is going to end at 1am when it is actually scheduled for 2am! :o

VenomousFiligree
December 26th, 2013, 11:17
Hmm, looks like I failed my maths roll :( (thanks for pointing it out Trenloe)

I'll have to bow out of this one guys.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2013, 19:15

The new one.

kleamovich
December 27th, 2013, 21:01
Ok, have him uploaded Nickademus.

Still looking for one more, if anyone is interested.

JerryRig
December 28th, 2013, 00:41
I'm planning a Sorcerer (Elementalist) to play this time around. Got tired of being the rogue that could do only small damage!

ThePirateKing
December 28th, 2013, 00:54
I might go the rogue-ish character, 2weapon fighting rogue, 4-24 dmg a round at lv.1 with a +6 to hit

JerryRig
December 28th, 2013, 01:16
That'd do nicely

kleamovich
December 28th, 2013, 15:47
Ok guys, looks like we have a possible forth. Please post your characters here. Not sure what they were planning on running yet.

Also add yourselves to the game calendar please.

Gertak
December 28th, 2013, 17:45
I"m pretty open on what kind of character I'd like to play so everyone choose what you want and I'll fill in. From what I see as possibles it looks like we have a tanky monk, a sneaky rogue, a spell-flinging sorcerer so that would leave me as a likely healer, which is good by me.

kleamovich
December 28th, 2013, 20:03
We can start at roughly 5PM EST today!

Gertak
December 28th, 2013, 20:38
Do you require that we take 1 campaign trait? Looking through the list it doesn't really seem they would help tie the character to the campaign as they did in Rise of the Runelords.

ThePirateKing
December 28th, 2013, 20:50
i can play a rogue or healer, do you prefer one over the other?

gm said that you don't need to choose a campaign trait

kleamovich
December 28th, 2013, 20:55
No campaign trait required.

Gertak
December 28th, 2013, 20:59
I can go either way, though rogue is about the only character I am no hugely fond of. I do enjoy playing a healer so that would be my preference.

kleamovich
December 28th, 2013, 21:14
Game information is on the game calendar if anyone wants to connect

JerryRig
December 28th, 2013, 21:19
This is my Sorc

What is the TS server you are using? I don't see you on either of the 2 we have used.

Gertak
December 28th, 2013, 21:56
I don't see the server information on the calendar.

Disregard, had to reload the page again.

kleamovich
December 29th, 2013, 15:09
Seems like we have a pretty good party this time around. Hopefully everyone is enjoying this play through and I will see everyone in the new year.

JerryRig
December 29th, 2013, 22:06
working for me ...though this not hitting things with ranged touch is painful ...lol

kleamovich
December 29th, 2013, 22:42
It will take some time young padawan.

Gertak
December 29th, 2013, 22:46
Not sure how well our low damage and low cc are going to work into the mid levels but we'll see. I'm sure some things are going to change as we level

ThePirateKing
December 29th, 2013, 23:56
well my character's dmg will get better in a few lvls, and we have a fire sorc, which will start to get a lot better dmg too, that and he could grab a few cc spells

Gertak
December 30th, 2013, 00:04
Ya, that's what I was sayinf, some things will change with feat selection, spell selection, and such

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 00:11
I'm not too worried about low damage. It can be just fine as long as the party has staying power, slowly but steadily grinding the enemies down. (Our last run through had high damage but no staying power and that didn't work out well at the mid-levels.)

It's going to come down to damage mitigation, in the broad sense of the phrase. Can the party keep from overtaxing the spellcasters by needing heals and dispels. Armor class, saves, avoidance, and such. Some of the tougher opponents later on have great mobility and hit hard, often.

Gertak
December 30th, 2013, 00:29
The staying power is going to be important but at the same time, the longer the fight goes the more likely the enemies hit a few lucky hits/crits and that can start to wear on the healer real heavily. Additionally, dealing with opponents who have no attack damage is going to get tough if we can't kill them fairly quickly. If the enemy has a caster dropping spells every round, the mitigation may not matter much and if we can't kill them...

Things will change as we go along, will just have to see how people choose their spells/feats in regards to damage and control. So far so good, though, so maybe I'm just over-thinking it :)

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 00:41
Neutralizing casters is part of the broader term of damage mitigation. You saw what I did to the cleric to remove his ability to channel and cast spells. This is the kind of thing that can allow our low-damage party to triumph. In the end, I believe a good sense of tactics will be needed by all party members. I've seen what's down the road and how a party with one ineffective character can have a much more difficult time in this AP. It really is designed for four characters that can all pull their weight.

I foresee this party being a challenge, but still should be better off than the last.

Gertak
December 30th, 2013, 05:11
Since I believe we are neutral, figured I'd bring it up now. How does everyone's character feel in regards to some of the more...questionable...spells? For example animate dead, undead anatomy, summoning evil creatures via summon monster?

Also, two questions for the GM:
First, how are your rules on the Leadership feat? Are there limitations, no limitations, or not allowed?
Second, specific to the Oracle, do you rule that I do or do not need a holy symbol to channel energy? It says in the class description I don't need one to cast spells but doesn't say either way on channel energy, at least that I could find.

Nickademus
December 30th, 2013, 06:17
Do what you need to do. Malcus doesn't care.

kleamovich
December 30th, 2013, 18:54
Also, two questions for the GM:
First, how are your rules on the Leadership feat? Are there limitations, no limitations, or not allowed?
Second, specific to the Oracle, do you rule that I do or do not need a holy symbol to channel energy? It says in the class description I don't need one to cast spells but doesn't say either way on channel energy, at least that I could find.

For the Leadership feat I will allow the cohort, not the followers.

For an Oracle, I would say no on the channel. Reason for this would be that you are not tied to a deity as closely as a Cleric would be. Also since you don't need one for your spells, it would make sense for the channel.

JerryRig
December 30th, 2013, 20:08
I don't care in the least about what you bring in with a summons ....as long as its not an evil ice creature.

Gertak
December 30th, 2013, 20:24
Exsssselent, my dreams of riding an awakened, fireball throwing, gorilla are a few measly levels away. World domination is MINE!!!!!

Trueshots
January 1st, 2014, 10:27
I need to be honest with you guys, there's a special boon you get for playing with Gertak, dude to his decreased intelligence irl.....everyone gets a +4 int in game........cheers :)

JerryRig
January 1st, 2014, 16:58
saaawweeeeeeet

Gertak
January 1st, 2014, 18:23
Glad you stopped by Trueshots, I was just thinking of taking a cohort and I was going to model it after you. Maybe a donkey with decreased stats to correctly reflect your contributions in a party!!

Lord Kavos
January 2nd, 2014, 05:47
you guys still looking for a player?

Looking at the times, this would be early sunday mornings for me (5-10am), wich acually works out ok for me personally...

I might (very occasionally) be hungover or drunk, but seeing im not a big drinker that shouldnt affect me too much :)

JerryRig
January 2nd, 2014, 15:13
Can we have him boss? he's kinda cute with a little hat and everything. We'll feed him, and walk him, and talk to him, and and .....well maybe that's it. ;)

Are you prepared for evil cold beasts trying to take back what we rightfully gained from their naughty killer companions?
Can ya take a poke in the eye from a giant?
Do you age well?

These things must be known!!

kleamovich
January 2nd, 2014, 16:07
Haha!

Sorry Lord Kavos but as of now we have a full group, do not want to bring in another person as of yet.

Lord Kavos
January 2nd, 2014, 22:31
No prob

JerryRig
January 11th, 2014, 21:06
Are we playing today? Server is not up.

kleamovich
January 17th, 2014, 15:50
Hey guys there will be no game this week, I have a bunch of homework I have to get done. Oh, the college life..

JerryRig
January 18th, 2014, 03:32
-curses the gods-

kleamovich
January 24th, 2014, 13:35
Sorry guys the campaign is canceled. I think I bit off more then i can chew this semester.

Gertak
January 24th, 2014, 14:07
Good luck sir, gotta prioritize that schooling. Maybe we can catch this another time.

Nickademus
January 24th, 2014, 19:37
*nods*