PDA

View Full Version : Simple templates done as an effect

hawkwind
December 21st, 2013, 17:07
You do for example the young and advanced templates as an effect which you could leave on monsters?

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2013, 01:50
You can cover a lot of a simple template with effects - the main thing you need to do manually is hit points.

For example, the advanced simple template is:

Rebuild Rules: AC increase natural armor by +2; Ability Scores +4 to all ability scores (except Int scores of 2 or less).

This can be covered by the following effect:

STR:4;DEX:4;CON:4;INT:4;WIS:4;CHA:4; AC:2 natural

You'd need to manually check if the creature had an INT of 3+ and remove the INT effect if it didn't, and add the 2 HP/HD for the CON increase.

You wouldn't see any of the data in the statblock change, but you would see the effects kicking in for all rolls made and for attacks against the creature, and will save DCs for spells would increase also when the save roll was made (if the spell was cast using the "cast" button). This is where the main issue lies - as the effects don't change the statblock, you need to make sure all rolls made against the creature in question use the targeting system so that the defensive effects can kick in, and any spells or spell-like abilities the creature has will only show the increased save DC if they are cast from the spells tab.

M_W has done a very good job of incorporating the stat effects into the vast majority of areas in the ruleset.

Nickademus
December 22nd, 2013, 02:04
Speaking of which, can anyone confirm this in 3.0?

"Using the 3.5e/PFRPG ruleset. When an effect action scales based on an ability score modifier, it is not using any buffs to the ability score."

It's a bug. I've queued up the patch for the v3.0 alpha.

It's nested deep in manager_spells.lua in the getSpellRoll function
"rAction.stat = nStat" -> "rAction.stat = sStat"

lachancery
December 22nd, 2013, 15:27
Speaking of which, can anyone confirm this in 3.0?

"Using the 3.5e/PFRPG ruleset. When an effect action scales based on an ability score modifier, it is not using any buffs to the ability score."
I just made the follow test:

Damage with two handed weapon & str 16 = +4 damage modifier (1.5x rounded down by PF rules). Add Str:2 effect, the damage modifier goes up to +6 (+4 x 1.5). This used to be broken (going up to +5).

I'm not sure if that covers other situations, but this one is fixed. :)

Nickademus
December 22nd, 2013, 22:10
Not exactly, but related. Here is the example I originally gave:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19606-Ability-Scores-and-Effects

Trenloe
December 23rd, 2013, 01:35
Not exactly, but related. Here is the example I originally gave:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19606-Ability-Scores-and-Effects
Have you tested it in FG 3.0?

Nickademus
December 23rd, 2013, 02:33
I have not upgraded and do not currently plan to. It was simply a related bug in 2.9.4 that I was curious if it got fixed. If not, the people making template effects would need to know.