PDA

View Full Version : Temporary v2.9.4 access

Moon Wizard
December 20th, 2013, 19:52
For those people having compatibility challenges with rulesets in v3.0, I have temporarily enabled the v2.9.4 release in the Dev mode slot. To access this version, you need to choose the Dev setting in the Settings screen.

If you are having compatibility issues, please let me know ASAP with details on how to create with the given ruleset. I am working on a v3.0.1 release to address backward compatibility issues. (which will be availble in the Test mode slot)

NOTE: You will not be able to play 3.5E, PFRPG, 4E, C&C, CoC or Numenera rulesets with this version; as the data files have all been converted and any campaigns opened have been migrated to a new data format.

Regards,
JPG

Twodogz
December 21st, 2013, 01:06
TY so much mate!

Now those of us affected by 3.0 can game over the break! :D

Sunspoticus
December 23rd, 2013, 15:10
Didn't notice any serious stability issues with 3.0 other than the debug console that never went away. My Sunday game experiences a few 3.0-related speed bumps so rolling back to 2.9.4 is a must for me and my group while we await some fixes.

Moon Wizard
December 23rd, 2013, 19:38
Sunspoticus,

If you have specific v3.0 issues, please let me know ASAP so I can address with the upcoming patch releases. v2.9.4 access is supposed to be temporary.

Thanks,
JPG

Sunspoticus
December 24th, 2013, 15:06
I'm really not sure if its ruleset errors or if its really a problem with the skin.. The console spits up messages all too often, and we developed an arcane way of trickin' FG into not displaying that. The console message themselves complain about missing entities in the skin, but since I know your skin architecture from what I've been able to hack-out, its hard to diagnose.

Owning several rulesets tho, I can tell you that the BRP ruleset seems to work w/o issue, but Savage Worlds and Mutant & Masterminds all complain excessively when they were loaded into 3.0. As far as the core app goes, its clear you've down some optimization runs thru the code. I think our issues with it this weekend were more ruleset/skin than core app.

I've asked everyone in my group to go ahead and roll back to 2.9.4 but to STAY on the dev update pipeline as I'm pretty confident you'll be able to address some, if not all of the issues logged against 3.0 in your 3.0.1 update.

I'll promise you this much though... if it will help you, I will create a comphrensive log of issues goin' forward from 3.0.1 as FG gets used by our group several times a week. :) I know as a software dev myself, some proper "user stories" are like frickin' gold...

Trenloe
December 24th, 2013, 17:21
The console message themselves complain about missing entities in the skin, but since I know your skin architecture from what I've been able to hack-out, its hard to diagnose.
Collect the console.log file in your <FG App Data Directory> - this has a list of all info written to the console. It gets overwritten each time you start FG so if you have a session with a few errors then make sure you copy it before you restart FG.

FG 3.0 certainly raises a few warnings with older rulesets. Actual errors (in red) are what you should be concerned about! ;)

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2013, 19:30
The latest 3.0.1 update also reduces the warnings for pre-v3 rulesets.

Send me the console.log files anyway, and I'll trim the warnings some more.

The idea was to help out ruleset developers by providing warnings for missing info in asset definitions.

JPG

Sunspoticus
December 24th, 2013, 22:14
Aye, can you tie to the toggle in preferences? doesn't seem to shut off otherwise. Or was it your intention to force the console to display?

Moon Wizard
December 25th, 2013, 03:28
The console should only display if:
* /console command used.
* Ruleset error occurs (not warning or notice).
* -c command line option used.

I've had potential reports of the console popping up when not activated by one of the methods mentioned above, but haven't been able to recreate or pin down.

If the console is popping up when you don't think it should, post contents of console using Copy To Clipboard option, let me know which license you have, and which game system you are playing (or launcher if before hosting/joining).

Thanks,
JPG

damned
December 25th, 2013, 05:52
its also the dev slot - could the dev slot always run console?

Moon Wizard
December 25th, 2013, 06:42
I don't think so, since the program isn't aware if which update slot it is downloaded from.

JPG

Callum
January 20th, 2014, 20:01
Is v2.9 still available in the dev slot?

Moon Wizard
January 20th, 2014, 20:32
Yes, for the next couple weeks.
JPG

Sunspoticus
January 21st, 2014, 16:42
Thanks Moonie, me and my group do appreciate it. While as a developer myself I know how it goes. As a GM, I won't endanger my player's experience by riding out the 3.0 issues. I have it installed on a laptop however, but I don't host games with it... I would humbly request you keep 2.9.4 on the dev channel until you're satisfied you've got everything tiptop again..

Moon Wizard
January 21st, 2014, 18:06
I'm feeling really good about the current beta version (v3.0.2) that is available in the Test channel, and plan to push it this week.

As of this moment, there are no major items reported on any of the rulesets (whether SW-provided or community).

Do you have something in particular to address?

JPG

Callum
January 22nd, 2014, 21:26
I'm with Sunspoticus, JPG - I'm not quite ready to move my group to v3 yet, and so I'd really appreciate it if v2.9 remained available on the dev slot for a while longer.

However, when you are definitely going to remove it, please could you give us a substantial notice period - say, 4 weeks? I have a group with very mixed technical skills, and very limited free time, so it will take me a while to plan the switch and make sure they're all ready for it.

Thanks!

Nickademus
January 22nd, 2014, 21:40
Do you have something in particular to address?

What was the verdict on the targeting lines and circles? Will circles be coming back as an option or will the tokens gain an owner and the lines be filtered? I heard talk of such things but not an official statement of intention.

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2014, 21:50
Callum,
Start making plans now. I want to retire v2.9 as soon as I can.

Nickademus,
In v3.0.2, the targeting lines are only shown for active characters, unless the user specifically mouses over or selects other tokens. Also, NPC tokens do not show targeting info, even when selected.

No plans to bring back old targeting. It doesn't work well for players with multiple PCs, and doesn't work for GMs at all.

I am thinking about bringing back targeting info and options to GM combat tracker.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
January 22nd, 2014, 22:28
Callum,
Start making plans now. I want to retire v2.9 as soon as I can.

Okay, JPG, will do. When is 3.0.2 going live?

Nickademus
January 22nd, 2014, 22:38
In v3.0.2, the targeting lines are only shown for active characters, unless the user specifically mouses over or selects other tokens. Also, NPC tokens do not show targeting info, even when selected.
Okay, so this went through. Good.

No plans to bring back old targeting. It doesn't work well for players with multiple PCs, and doesn't work for GMs at all.
What about an option to have colored lines? I think people can associate better with colors and every game I've been in since 3.0.0 has mentioned something about wanting colors back.

I am thinking about bringing back targeting info and options to GM combat tracker.
This seems a good idea. I hear my static GM complain constantly about not knowing who is targeting who (of the NPCs). He is a bit absent-minded, but the CT targeting notes would fix this as that is what he is used to.

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2014, 22:47
Callum,
I'm planning to push v3.0.2 tomorrow, unless something big comes up in the next 24 hours. I have a test session tonight for my Numenera campaign.

Nickademus,
I want to do colored lines based on the user identity. However, tokens currently do not have "owners", only a GM toggle. So, there is currently no way to map identity colors to tokens right now. I might take a look to see how much change it needs when I review the CT targeting.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 12th, 2014, 06:28
Just a heads up that I will be removing access to v2.9.4 on Feb. 17.

Regards,
JPG